50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

😆 And that song was used many years later as the theme tune to Baddiel & Skinner's Fantasy Football programme on BBC in the early 90s. Astle made a few guest appearances as well.
As far as I recall, he was a regular, singing at the end of the show. Although my memory’s fucked.

Frank Skinner and Jeff Astle. Very strong West Brom connection.

Jeff Astle had a decent singing voice and would close the show on occasions.

20/5/1970

Colombia 0 England 4 (Peters 2, Charlton, Ball)

1589992654757.png

I remember watching the highlights on BBC Sportsnight in the next evening

22/5/1970

England then proceeded to fly off on Thursday 21 May to their match against Ecuador in Quito, staying at the Intercontinental Hotel. At this time Ramsey was about to cut his squad down from twenty-eight to twenty-two players. There was a tension in the air (apart from the Bobby Moore business) amongst those who thought it could be them. But still hoping they would make the plane to Mexico.

Ramsey discarded Bob McNab, Brian Kidd, David Sadler, Ralph Coates, Peter Thompson and Peter Shilton from the squad. He did invite those who wished to stay on, but only Peter Thompson and David Sadler took up his invitation.

McNab needed to rush back to London. He’d been asked to join ITV’s World Cup panel. Whose discussions, arguments and debate, throughout the 1970 World Cup

1590150550158.png

22/5/1970

England then proceeded to fly off on Thursday 21 May to their match against Ecuador in Quito, staying at the Intercontinental Hotel. At this time Ramsey was about to cut his squad down from twenty-eight to twenty-two players. There was a tension in the air (apart from the Bobby Moore business) amongst those who thought it could be them. But still hoping they would make the plane to Mexico.

Ramsey discarded Bob McNab, Brian Kidd, David Sadler, Ralph Coates, Peter Thompson and Peter Shilton from the squad. He did invite those who wished to stay on, but only Peter Thompson and David Sadler took up his invitation.

McNab needed to rush back to London. He’d been asked to join ITV’s World Cup panel. Whose discussions, arguments and debate, throughout the 1970 World Cup

View attachment 80459

Bob McNab, Derek Dougan, Malcolm Allison, Paddy Crerand made up the ITV panel.

One of the best panels on TV. Excellent viewing

24/5/1970

Ecuador 0 England 2 (Lee, Kidd). Strange that Sadler and Kidd came on as subs despite knowing that they wont be in the England World Cup squad!

I do not remember watching the highlights but I do remember the shock (not related to the warm up match at Ecuador) I got during the evening news in the next day!

25/5/1970

I remember being sat down having my tea in the dining room when my dad rushed out of the lounge to tell me "Bobby Moore is in Prison!". I was shocked and couldnt understand what is going on as my dad told me to come to the lounge to watch the evening news on TV.

1590399841395.png

Lifted from a website..

The team left Equador on Monday 25 May, due to fly on to Mexico City for the World Cup finals.The schedule and planning had been prepared months before. There were no direct flights from Quito to Mexico. So this involved flying via Bogotá, where there would be a five-hour stopover. To avoid hanging around the airport it had been pre-arranged to relax and return to the El Tequendama hotel where the bracelet incident had occurred. The team uneasily checked in, with an air of apprehension, although no one said anything.

Alan Mullery recalled ‘Bobby Charlton smoking a cigarette looking far from happy’ and ‘more nervous than usual.’ To fill the time while waiting for their flight, the team sat down to watch the film ‘Shenandoah’ a James Stewart western, arranged for them by Ramsey. While sitting there enjoying the movie, the doors burst open. Police holding machine guns entered menacingly, pointing their weapons at the England team as two plainclothes Colombian police officers took Bobby Moore out and formally arrested him for theft.

The Colombian police acted after a new witness Alvaro Suarez came forward. He claimed to have seen Moore take the bracelet. Only lobbying by the British ambassador had stopped Bobby from being arrested at the airport in front of cameras. Suarez said he saw what happened through the shop window and supported the version of Clara Padilla.

As it became clear that Moore might be detained for some time. Ramsey decided, with the World Cup just a few days away from beginning he had to go on to Mexico without his captain. Two FA officials (Dr Andrew Stephen chairman & Denis fellows, the secretary) remained in Bogotá to assist the England captain. Further help was provided by British Embassy officials. Bobby Charlton was not detained.

However, when Charlton saw that Moore was not at the airport, he approached Ramsey saying ‘Look I want to help all I can’. He suggested to Alf, he stay behind and reiterate his statement to the police of the England’s captain innocence. Quite brusquely, Alf said ‘you must get on that plane, Bobby, there’s no way you’re staying. We’ll let the politicians and the diplomats settle this.’

According to Jack Charlton (Team member and Bobby’s brother), Bobby ‘was very nervous’ until the flight actually took off. Some of the other players ‘were playing tricks on him’ as they waited. Jack told them to ‘lay off’. Alan Mullery believed, Ramsey saw Moore and Charlton as ‘his star players’. He said ‘There was a close bond between them. Mooro was a leader so was Bobby Charlton.’ Losing them, Alf would have been ‘devastated’.

Looking at the plane logo it seems to be a BOAC plane.

BOAC merged with BEA in March 1974 to create British Airways.

Wonder what British Airways will look like after all of this.
Logo-"SPEEDBIRD" which also superceded all their callsigns on R/T.

😆 And that song was used many years later as the theme tune to Baddiel & Skinner's Fantasy Football programme on BBC in the early 90s. Astle made a few guest appearances as well.
Well! Forgotten the BBC's ability to transmit 'Dross' goes back all that way. Jeez-Baddiel say no more and Skinner the poor mans George Formby.
Bobby Charlton having a fag, has the world gone mad.

50 years ago today we lost 2-1 at Huddersfield (who finished as 2nd division champions that season). Reece scored for us. I dont recall being aware of the match as I would have been busy playing Scalextric which was my main Xmas present.
50 years ago today we lost 2-1 at Huddersfield (who finished as 2nd division champions that season). Reece scored for us. I dont recall being aware of the match as I would have been busy playing Scalextric which was my main Xmas present.

I was at the Huddersfield game - we always seem to lose there.
My brothers mate had bought an old Ford Anglia, 5 of us packed inside, Wendy were ay home to Sunderland and we drove up Penistone Road with windows down giving it large to their fans particularly when going past Hillsboro, good job we didn't break down outside the sty.
At Leeds Road we went in the cowshed us in one half and Hudders in the other half - happy days

Bert was reading an old Football League Review last week. Charlton's wife said he smoked 10 a day but only after training at 2 o'clock
Good old Bobby, started smoking at 1400, to bed at 2200,to get his 8 hours, 10 fags in 8 hours = 30 a day, buffoon. I honestly never ever knew he smoked and never saw him as a smoker, thought he was a dedicated sports man and smoking would never enter his head.
First Elvis now Bobby Charlton, my world is crumbling as I type.

Good old Bobby, started smoking at 1400, to bed at 2200,to get his 8 hours, 10 fags in 8 hours = 30 a day, buffoon. I honestly never ever knew he smoked and never saw him as a smoker, thought he was a dedicated sports man and smoking would never enter his head.
First Elvis now Bobby Charlton, my world is crumbling as I type.
IMG_20200527_202216.jpg

Wow!!! Bobby, sorry you married a person who keeps, in public, resurrecting the most traumatic event in your life. Christ knows what she's like in private, is she from the North East. Friday night, the night not to disturb or worry a pro footballer, one afternoon a week men. Can't get me breath, I worked, 5,6 and many times7 days a week, didn't stop my missus upsetting me if she thought it nessesary.
£3-12-6 for boots, cheap at half the price.

Wow!!! Bobby, sorry you married a person who keeps, in public, resurrecting the most traumatic event in your life. Christ knows what she's like in private, is she from the North East. Friday night, the night not to disturb or worry a pro footballer, one afternoon a week men. Can't get me breath, I worked, 5,6 and many times7 days a week, didn't stop my missus upsetting me if she thought it nessesary.
£3-12-6 for boots, cheap at half the price.

I think his wife was from the Manchester area. She fell out with Bobby's mother Cissie (related to the great Jackie Milburn) and this is what caused the rift between Bobby and his brother Jackie.

Not sure if that rift continued until Bobby was presented with a Life Time Achievement award at SPOTY and Jackie did the presentation.

Further trivia. Bobby's daughter Suzanne (aged 5 in that article) became a BBC weather presenter.

I think his wife was from the Manchester area. She fell out with Bobby's mother Cissie (related to the great Jackie Milburn) and this is what caused the rift between Bobby and his brother Jackie.

Not sure if that rift continued until Bobby was presented with a Life Time Achievement award at SPOTY and Jackie did the presentation.

Further trivia. Bobby's daughter Suzanne (aged 5 in that article) became a BBC weather presenter.
Blimey!!! A Lancastrian. Poor old Bobby, towd lads had short end o't stick most o' his existence.
Am liking our adjective reference to 'Wor Jackie' who's caps became the centre of a row between his family.
Here's a photo to supplement your 'great'. One on one V George Farm, no 'slouch' himself, goal in a 2-0 victory over Blackpool 1951. The other Blackpool player looks very much like ex-Blade Eddie Shinwell. Shinwell left the Blades because the club wouldn't allow him to keep a pub. Another excellent player lost.
Believe the photo, the Wembley scene, Jackie Milburn scores in FACF V Blacklool 0 Newcastle 2.jpgconjures up the significance of the FA Cup then, as against its lower status today.
Suzanne Charlton at least worked for the Metrological Office as they all did at that time, unlike now where every body reads the weather. Ge'us a job.

Apologies BaB, missed the "Y" off your, wasn't trying to muscle in on your undoubted literary competence.:)

28/5/1970

There was initially some confusion in the press, with the fact the alleged theft and Moore’s arrest had taken place several days apart. Due to Bobby’s status in the game, journalistic interest around the world was now massive, with all sorts of stories circulating.

Bobby Moore was generally perceived to be innocent and completely supported by manager Alf Ramsey. What was interesting was the former Brazil coach Joao Saldanha claimed when he had stayed at the hotel with his team Botafogo they had experienced a similar incident – in which jewellery had been hidden on them and money demanded in order to avoid a scandal. Due to this experience, Saldanha didn’t believe the allegations against Moore.

In Bogotá, Bobby was taken before a judge, Justice Peter Dorado, and questioned for four hours. He denied anything to do with a theft. Confused by the conflicting claims, Justice Dorado arranged for the authorities to stage a re-enactment of the incident with Moore and Padilla. Her version was undermined as she claimed that Moore had slipped the bracelet into the left-hand pocket of his blazer. It was demonstrated the blazer had no pocket on the left side. She then changed various parts of her story and eventually left in tears.

It was also questioned why the fresh witness, Alvaro Suarez waited four days to come forward? There were also conflicting suggestions to the value of the bracelet. Initially it was said to be valued around £625. But later it is claimed to be worth £5,000, while the owner of the shop requested £6,000 in compensation. As Moore was driven back from the re-enactment, cries of “Viva Bobby” could be heard from the streets.

Back home Prime Minister Harold Wilson was so concerned by Moore’s arrest that he requested repeated lobbying of the Colombian government by the British embassy in Bogotá. The Colombians were wary of creating what was fast becoming a diplomatic incident as the British Prime Minister made several calls to diplomates in an attempt to get Bobby Moore released.

In the passage of time, it emerged that Moore, avoided a full trial in Colombia because the head of the country’s secret police paid a nocturnal visit to a judge to “persuade” him to drop the matter. The unsung role of General Leyva, head of DAS, in allowing Moore to re-join his team for the World Cup in Mexico was disclosed in Foreign Office files released in 2001. Under British pressure, the authorities in Bogotá decided that extra-judicial action was required. On Tuesday 26 May 1970 British diplomats reported that Gen Leyva had visited the magistrate on the authority of the president. He apparently warned the magistrate that continuing the case would be “highly counter-productive” for the national interest.

On Thursday 28 May 1970, Moore was taken before Justice Dorado and told there was insufficient evidence for a prosecution. He was to be set free. However, the case remained open. Moore released a statement “I am happy to be set free and the allegations against me turned out to be groundless”. He promised to further co-operate with the Colombian authorities and thanked the Colombian people “for the many expressions of sympathy and support which I have received from them in the last few days”.

29/05/1970

Bobby was put on a plane, destined for Mexico City. Arriving on Friday 29 May 1970 to absolute chaos with BBC commentator David Coleman and reporter Peter Lorenzo leading Bobby through the crowds of journalists and photographers, the barriers at customs and immigration had been charged down and everyone just pushed through. The coolest person in the mass mob was Bobby Moore completely unshakable. After the melee, he was taken quietly to spend one night at the home of Eric Vines, a member of the British embassy staff before flying on to Guadalajara the next day where the England team were based.

Jimmy Greaves who sadly missed out in the 1966 World Cup final playing for England, decided to have a go at Motor Racing joining well known Rally Champion Tony Fall as co-driver in the 1970 World Cup Rally. This being a motor rally featuring every country participating in the World Cup Finals. Finishing in the capital city of the host nation. It also gave an excellent opportunity to showcase the motor industry with sponsorship from the Daily Mirror newspaper. The competitors were started by Alf Ramsey inside Wembley Stadium. Then made their way through Europe (stage one), onto South America (stage two) arriving in Mexico City. Hopefully in time for the tournament. Greaves & Fall did rather well, finishing the tough 16,000 mile course in 6th position. 113 cars started, only 11 finished. This was not surprising particularly with some the South American terrain. Greaves recalled ‘we were travelling at speeds of up to 100mph on mountain roads that were built only for donkeys travel in mind.’

In a bizarre incident on the final South American leg of this competition in Mexico City. Greaves persuaded Fall and the journalist Norman Giller to help him find the embassy where his best friend, fellow West Ham player Bobby Moore was being kept as a guest. Having discovered it, the cheeky Jimmy shined over the wall. “I got into the back of the house through some French windows,” Greaves said. “Mooro almost dropped his lager in surprise when he saw me approaching from the direction of the kitchen. He was even more surprised when I asked him where he’d hidden the bracelet!” The two best mates sat down to ease their troubles. It was a welcome amusing distraction to what was a very serious situation.

30/5/1970. Eve of the World Cup tournament.

Alf Ramsey met Moore at the Guadalajara airport, where the England team were preparing to play their opening match against Romania. He was met warmly by Ramsey, who was relieved and delighted to see his captain. On entering the team Hotel, the England players lined up in a guard of honour to applaud him. Geoff Hurst & Alan Mullery both noticed Moore had lost weight and understandably looked tired. Mullery was Bobby’s room-mate, he recalled Moore entering the room soon after – ‘Mooro took off his tracksuit and threw it out of the window. I looked out and saw a crowd of Mexican boys fighting over the tracksuit down on the street. Bobby was always very particular about what he wore and how he looked. He must have hated being in the same clothes for days on end. So, the first chance he got, that tracksuit had to go’.

At dinner, Bobby announced to his team mates. ‘Forget what happened in Bogotá, I’m fine and if we all stick together, this can make us stronger.’ The respect Bobby Moore received from the players was eminence. It was his personal handling and dignity shown over this whole event which further helped lift Moore to iconic status.

That evening I remember watching the below programme on BBC1 and my dad explaining to me his memories of the 1966 World Cup final

1590835330386.png

31/5/1970

Mexico 0 Soviet Union 0

Watched the match at my grandmother's in Hartley Brook Road. A disappointing match which was typical of World Cup opening games (1966, 1974 and 1978 were scoreless draws too).

I realised some years later that the match had two "firsts". The showing of the yellow card also substitutions were taking place. I dont remember noticing these two moments.

The referee Kurt Tschenscher would show the first historical yellow card to Yevgeny Lovchev of the USSR

1590921868258.png

The first substitute in World Cup finals was Soviet player Anatoly Puzach who replaced Viktor Serebrannikov.

Discovered yesterday that only 4 of the 13 Soviet Union players that played in that match are still alive.

2/6/1970

England 1 (Hurst) Romania 0

Peru 3 (Gallardo, Chumpitaz, Cubillas) Bulgaria 2 ( Dermendzhiev , Bonev)

Uruguay 2 (Maneiro, Mujica) Israel 0

As England's match kicked off at 11pm British time, there was no way I would be allowed to watch the match live on tv but in the next morning (and for the next few weeks) my mum found it easy for me to get ready for school before I could watch "Good Morning Mexico" on BBC1 which showed highlights of the previous day's matches. I was always hoping that the taxi taking me from Dronfield to Maud Maxfield (school started at 9.25am daily) would arrive at my house as late as possible. I still remember the excitement of me switching the tv on, and seeing the white dot in the middle of the screen, waiting patiently for the full picture to appear on the screen. First on was the England match (my dad had already told me the score and the match wasnt much of a spectacle), there was enough time to see the goals from the Peru v Bulgaria match before my taxi arrived outside my home. Peru were 2 goals down before staging an amazing recovery to win the match and it was good to see how they celebrated the winning goal with the Peruvians piling on top of Cubillas.

3/6/1970

Brazil 4 (Rivelino, Pele, Jairzinho 2) Czechoslovakia 1 (Petras)

Italy 1 (Domenghini) Sweden 0

West Germany 2 (Seeler, Muller) Morocco 1 (Jarir)

Belgium 3 ( Van Moer 2, Lambert) El Salvador 0

In the next morning I eagerly came downstairs from my bedroom ready to switch on the tv to watch "Good Morning, Mexico" and my dad was at the bottom of the stairs to tell me that Brazil had won 4-1. As at that point Pele was the only Brazilian I know about so I asked him "how many did Pele score?", he replied "One" and then went on to describe his goal. I was expecting that "the best footballer in the world" would score more than one. As I sat down watching the highlights, Czechoslovakia scored first and I have a clear memory of Jan Petras kneeling down and doing the crossed sign after he scored the goal. Soon after, there was a free kick for Brazil from just outside the box. I remember on the tv screen there was the camera's view from behind the goal and it seemed that Pele was going to take the free kick which made me think "that will be his goal" but quick as a flash someone else raced in to whack the free kick in the net despite the keeper getting a touch to it. Then the cameras panned to a moustachioed player celebrating like mad and his teammates jumping on him. His name is Rivelino who is one of my favourite World stars ever since. I do not remember being aware of Pele's attempt to score from the halfway line until years later but clearly remember his "cool" goal after receiving a long pass. Then there was another name of a Brazilian that was new to me as he scored the last two goals but during this World Cup he was known to me as "Jair" rather than "Jairzinho" because the scorer caption on the tv screen was "7. Jair".

I remember thinking that Sweden's keeper is "rubbish" because he let in a soft goal against Italy but Ronnie Hellstrom still played for Sweden in the 1974 and 1978 World Cups. Dont think I watched highlights of the other two matches probably because the taxi had just arrived outside my house to take me to school.

6/6/1970

Soviet Union 4 (Byshovets 2, Asatiani, Khmelnytskyi) Belgium 1 (Lambert)

Uruguay 0 Italy 0

Romania 2 (Neagu, Dumitrache) Czechoslovakia 1 (Petras)

Peru 3 (Cubillas 2, Challe) Morocco 0

I do not remember watching any highlights of the matches in the next morning. I must have been too focused on the Brazil v England match.

7/6/1970

Brazil 1 (Jairzinho) England 0

West Germany 5 (Libuda, Muller 3, Seeler) Bulgaria 2 (Nikodimov, Kolev)

Mexico 4 (Valdivia 2, Fragoso, Basaguren) El Salvador 0

Israel 1 (Spiegler) Sweden 1 (Turesson)

I watched the match at my grandmother's in Hartley Brook Road with my twin uncles. My dad wasnt there, he was probably at work as after the match he arrived at the house to take me, my mum and my sister home and he was asking me for the score.

Before the match I was looking at the names of the Brazil players on a newspaper and it amused me that Brazil's keeper was called Felix because there was a popular tv programme at the time called Felix the cat. I pointed at Rivelino's name to my uncles and amused them when I did an impression of Rivelino's goal celebration.

As for the match I can only remember the goal and Alan Ball's effort hitting the top of the bar but cannot remember Gordon Banks save, Bobby Moore's world class tackles, Jeff Astle's miss and how Brazil deliberately lengthened the half time interval making the England players wait longer on the pitch. I became aware of them in later years.

As for the goal I remember Pele receiving a pass just inside the box and I thought "Danger!" but was surprised he passed to the right and BOOM!, it is that man Jair again and my heart sank as I watched the celebrations and the replay. My twin uncles noticed how down I was and did their best to assure me that England arent out of the cup, they said that Brazil will beat Romania in the next match, we will not lose to Czechoslovakia and that will mean England and Brazil will go through to the quarter finals. This cheered me up a bit!

10/6/1970

Soviet Union 2 (Byshovets 2) El Salvador 0
Soviet Union through to quarter finals

Sweden 1 (Grahn) Uruguay 0
Uruguay through to quarter finals

Brazil 3 (Pele 2, Jairzinho) Romania 2 (Dumitrache, Dembrowski)
Brazil through to quarter finals

West Germany 3 (Muller 3) Peru 1 (Cubillas)
West Germany and Peru through to quarter finals

11/6/1970

England 1 (Clarke pen) Czechoslovakia 0
England through to quarter finals

Mexico 1 (Pena pen) Belgium 0
Mexico through to quarter finals

Italy 0 Israel 0
Italy through to quarter finals

Morocco 1 (Ghazouani) Bulgaria 1 (Zhechev)

I had to wait until the next morning to watch the England highlights on "Good Morning Mexico". My dad had already told me that we won 1-0 adding that it was a poor game. I remember it was difficult to see Clarke's penalty goal as the tv camera didnt get enough light in the shade.

Alf Ramsey rested Labone, Lee, Ball (although he came on as sub) and Hurst from the starting line up and brought in in Jack Charlton (his last game for England), Bell, Clarke and Astle. He must have been that confident that England wouldnt lose to Czechoslovakia.

Back
Top Bottom