£40m worth of sales before any new signings - The Athletic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would he have a relegation release clause higher than the sum we paid for him? I’d find that a little unlikely.
Does he have one? And if he does, why would we let him go for less than we paid. We know if we go down we will be selling so why hamstring ourselves?

I’m supremely confident it won’t be less than £30m. Doesn’t make any sense

Oh althletuc have always been right haven't they not

Unless they have a cast iron relegation release clause I wouldn't sell any of them. I'd enforce wage cuts for being relegated and frankly embarrassing and then see what happens. If they want a big move then they ought to perform otherwise chances of a decent move dwindle. At the end of the season, if we miraculously end up promoted and they were looking forward to another cushy bonus and wage from the prem that would be the time to fuck them off as they were clearly not good enough this season

Or sign someone better?

Been here 3 seasons and not good enough. Even in games he has done ok made big errors...WBA away, Chelsea home and last night. Just switches off or does daft things at vital moments meaning even if he is ok for the rest of games he has undone his work.

Surprised anyone is contemplating keeping any of the out of contract players. They all need to be moved on.
Of course that would be nice, but we need more than 1 left sided centre half and we could (and have in Robinson) done worse

With The Athletic, a fairly sensible source, reporting today that the board told Wilder around £40 million worth of sales would have to be generated in the summer transfer window to make up the revenue shortfall caused by us dropping into the Championship. They also seem to be inferring that those sales are before United look to bring in any signings of our own. I’m presuming from that that further sales will be necessary to generate any transfer funds to fund a rebuild.

Setting aside the above which I find a little troubling, I’d be interested in canvassing views on who we could / would sell to address the shortfall. Effectively these are players we shouldn’t need to replace.

Berge looks a certainty now, brought in for £25m - would we recoup that? £20m perhaps.

We are clearly top heavy in the squad - I would like to keep McBurnie & Brewster as I think they would be outstanding at Champ level with service. Mousset would be moved on for me - £7m would be a reasonable receipt for someone who could potentially do the business at PL level but is damaged goods. I think we’d have to make a judgment between Sharp & McGoldrick, I’d go with the latter.

Apart from that I’m struggling a little - I wouldn’t want to lose Egan as I think he’s critical for us. Perhaps a Baldock or Bogle - £10m?

Not sure how we’ll fund a rebuild. Unless I’m missing some obvious ones?
TBF - who is going to going to pay £20m for Berge ? We may get £12m for Ramsdale ... £10m / £8m for Egan ... nobody is coming for any of the others sadly ... I too think that Brewster / McBurnie will dominate the Championship next season ... 25+ for both of them - no point in selling them as again - who would buy them?

I would sell Berge. Probably our most valuable and saleable asset and whilst he is obviously a talented footballer he doesn't really fit our system in my view. I hear the pleas to promote our crop of U23s but I think there is a massive gulf between the league they play in and the PL or Championship and whist I would like to see some being given some playing time I do not think they are the immediate answer. Look at Brewsters performances and he is well ahead of those players. The secret is to recruit cleverly as we did pretty much in L1 and Championship with players like Egan, JOC,Baldock, Fleck, Didsy, Duffy etc. Other clubs have done it. Barnsley, Reading, are examples. Sadly once we got to EPL CW seemed to lose his touch. We also need to look abroad. I am not sure where Brexit leaves us in that respect.
brexit disadvantages us.

Would he have a relegation release clause higher than the sum we paid for him? I’d find that a little unlikely.
Of course he would, why would he have one lower, so we lose money on our investment just as we’re needing to recoup?
It’s already been reported that it’s definitely higher than £30M by a reporter who seemingly still is on the good books with the board.

Enda, Lowe, Bryan and Robinson OUT

RND and Boyes IN

Lunny, Norwood, Rodwell OUT

Brunt, Maguire, Ayari IN

Didzy, McB, Moose OUT

Hackford, Jebbison, Ndiaye IN

Might get us £6m collectively, if we're lucky.
And have a team full of unproven youngsters like we did when we were relegated from the championship

Do a load of our fans think just because we're Sheff United that we simply have to give our players away for silly money?

The Prince has already said that players under contract have releases clauses and there are a few players that other clubs will want to sign - and not at give away prices - we're not some sort of "one club philanthropic society" that will only benefit others.

We probably do not have to sell next season, but it would be better if we move some out to ease the financial burden on wages in a phased way and at sensible market values.

UTB

And have a team full of unproven youngsters like we did when we were relegated from the championship
Yeah, you're right, that'd only leave us with...

Ramsdale, Egan, JoC, Basham, Fleck, Bogle, RND, Sharp, Brewster, Osborn, Baldock, Berge.

How would we cope with all those "unproven" players?! 😱

I mean, if you prefer we can always stick with Lunny, Lowe and Rodwell?

Of course he would, why would he have one lower, so we lose money on our investment just as we’re needing to recoup?
It’s already been reported that it’s definitely higher than £30M by a reporter who seemingly still is on the good books with the board.

I would have thought a relegation release clause would be lower than the price you pay - effectively you’re giving the player an out whilst maintaining a reasonable receipt for the club. West Ham signed Jarrod Bowen for £22m and he’s got a relegation release clause for £20m. I can’t see why a player would agree to one otherwise. Happy to defer to those who know more.

I would have thought a relegation release clause would be lower than the price you pay - effectively you’re giving the player an out whilst maintaining a reasonable receipt for the club. West Ham signed Jarrod Bowen for £22m and he’s got a relegation release clause for £20m. I can’t see why a player would agree to one otherwise. Happy to defer to those who know more.
The Bowen release clause was set that low because when he signed West Ham were 17th, only out of the bottom 3 on goal difference (-13 vs Bournemouth's -14 and Watford's -15). The prevailing school of thought was that they were in real danger of going down and for that reason Bowen refused to sign unless there was a deal to let him leave for what West Ham paid (£18m up front). He understandably didn't want to end up back in the Championship 6 months after leaving Hull. It's for the same reason that he doesn't have a relegation wage drop clause.

Berge refused to sign for us in the 2019 summer transfer window as he (along with everyone else) thought we'd go straight back down. When he did eventually sign we were in no danger, really, of being relegated that season so we had more ability to influence his contractual clauses than West Ham did in their desperation to sign Bowen.

It wouldn't surprise me if Berge's release was between €30-35m: not much above the €25m we paid but still above.

Sounds reasonable to me. Selling Berge alone would recoup at least £30M, with multiple big boys muted to be interested.

First of all we wait till what the pl do with the breakaway

With The Athletic, a fairly sensible source, reporting today that the board told Wilder around £40 million worth of sales would have to be generated in the summer transfer window to make up the revenue shortfall caused by us dropping into the Championship. They also seem to be inferring that those sales are before United look to bring in any signings of our own. I’m presuming from that that further sales will be necessary to generate any transfer funds to fund a rebuild.

Setting aside the above which I find a little troubling, I’d be interested in canvassing views on who we could / would sell to address the shortfall. Effectively these are players we shouldn’t need to replace.

Berge looks a certainty now, brought in for £25m - would we recoup that? £20m perhaps.

We are clearly top heavy in the squad - I would like to keep McBurnie & Brewster as I think they would be outstanding at Champ level with service. Mousset would be moved on for me - £7m would be a reasonable receipt for someone who could potentially do the business at PL level but is damaged goods. I think we’d have to make a judgment between Sharp & McGoldrick, I’d go with the latter.

Apart from that I’m struggling a little - I wouldn’t want to lose Egan as I think he’s critical for us. Perhaps a Baldock or Bogle - £10m?

Anyone who has shown themselves to be way short on a consistent basis at PL level but might have good sale value I'd listen to offers. So this would include McBurnie and Baldock, but not Egan for example. So Berge plus 2 or 3 others out the door would probably get us to that £40m figure.

I also don't understand the consternation about this news... did you see what the three relegated teams did last year with player sales?

Bournemouth £84m
Watford £44m
Norwich £40m

Only Norwich spent any money at all on new recruits. Both Bournemouth and Watford focused on free transfers.

Given we've not had any match day income for a long while now, and with the persisting uncertainty going forward, it's utterly naïve to think we don't need to cut our cloth accordingly. But the data shows other teams have done the same and are all still in the promotion race.

I think we have a Championship team playing in the EPL. I also understand we have been living within our means.

Despite our abysmal season, and this being the least competitive Utd team I've ever watched, I'd keep most of them. I think Berge might move on, and if so, he's hardly been a lynchpin of the team. I would move on a lot of players who clearly aren't even top half Championship or who don't feature, so Mousset, Rodwell, Robinson, Bryan, Lowe, Fotheringham, Moore, should all be moved out.

I think there will be changes (14 points says there ought to be), but I think the players we move on, will because we want to move them out, not because we have to.

Sorry I know it’s slightly a side issue to your point but on what basis do you think Brewster and Mc Burnie will be “outstanding” in the Championship. Neither could hit a barn door with a banjo this season🤷‍♂️
Mc has had some gilt edged chances this season and Brewster doesn’t have the work rate or positional sense to be outstanding......sell them both - get rid.

£40m is exactly the average sales that relegated teams have made over the past few seasons so it sounds about right.
Both Watford and Norwich raised this amount last year and Bournemouth raised £70m, so if we do it it’s not a fire sale it’s the norm.
The problem is that it will definitely be a buyers market due to loss of revenues due to Covid, this will hinder our outgoings but should help us secure new players at good value.
It terms of outgoings Berge is obvious, Stevens if we can move him on to create space for RND.
Then either Baldock or Egan, but hopefully not both.
Upfront is a bit more difficult. We all think Mousset will go but I can’t see us getting a fee as it’s more likely than not he will receive a custodial sentence for his actions in the car accident, so who would be willing to buy him?
Didzy and Billy have no value due to their age and we wouldn’t get much for Burke, so if we still need to raise significant funds I would say McBurnie is our only saleable asset upfront, unless that is we take a huge loss on Brewster which is highly unlikely.
I can see it dragging on all Summer unfortunately, buying clubs will wait for sellers to become desperate to secure the lowest prices they can.

Sorry I know it’s slightly a side issue to your point but on what basis do you think Brewster and Mc Burnie will be “outstanding” in the Championship. Neither could hit a barn door with a banjo this season🤷‍♂️
Mc has had some gilt edged chances this season and Brewster doesn’t have the work rate or positional sense to be outstanding......sell them both - get rid.

Reason #1 - track record

McBurnie - 2018/2019 Championship 42 appearances 22 goals

Brewster - 2019/2020 Championship 20 appearances 10 goals

Reason #2 - How many goals it took to get us promoted and how many the strikeforce contribute to the total

In the season we went up Sharp got 24 and McGoldrick got 14. That was enough to get us up, McBurnie and Brewster have already got that many goals at that level with PL experience added to the mix.

Reason #3 - Who scores at that level

Current Championship top scorers list has luminaries such as Lucas Joao on 19 goals and Kieffer Moore on 18 goals. Pukki has bagged 25.

Summary - We’ve got a young, proven Championship strikeforce who are quality at that level. The supporting cast (Sharp & McGoldrick?) have excelled as well. We’d arguably have the best front four in the Championship by a country mile. Goals win you promotion.

Well he wears number 12. That's about it.

Adam Webster - Bristol City to Brighton £22m - 0 International caps. 0 PL games

Mings - AFCB to Villa. £25m. - 0 International caps. 17 PL games (10 starts)

Ake - Chelsea to AFCB. £20m. 0 International caps. 17 PL games (10 starts, 8 on loan at Bourne)

Ake - AFCB to Man City. £40m. 9 International caps. 134 PL games.

Egan - 12 International Caps. 60PL games.

There's probably tons more comparisons. Anything less than £20m and we've had our pants down
He ain’t worth 20 million you are deluded

Reason #1 - track record

Reason #2 - How many goals it took to get us promoted and how many the strikeforce contribute to the total

In the season we went up Sharp got 24 and McGoldrick got 14. That was enough to get us up, McBurnie and Brewster have already got that many goals at that level with PL experience added to the mix.

Current Championship top scorers list has luminaries such as Lucas Joao on 19 goals and Kieffer Moore on 18 goals. Pukki has bagged 25.

Summary - We’ve got a young, proven Championship strikeforce who are quality at that level. The supporting cast (Sharp & McGoldrick?) have excelled as well. We’d arguably have the best front four in the Championship by a country mile. Goals win you promotion.
As Blades I think we should be more interested in who created the chances for Brewster and McB to score those championship goals because unless we sign those players it won't be happening again with fun boy three as our midfield.

Reason #1 - track record

Worth considering that just because they've done it before doesn't mean they'll do it again in a different team/system/style. Case in point: Jordan Rhodes!

Apologies if this has already been covered in the thread and I've missed it, but if we need to raise £40m net to cover reduced revenue, then we'll actually have to raise a lot more than this if we want to buy anyone. Considering we need an entire new midfield and to replace any that we do sell the figure required will be a lot more than £40m, unless all we bring in are free.

My two peneth, Berge will fetch what we paid, plus potentially more given the year's PL experience under his belt. We never saw the best of him, partly because his conditioning wasn't up to PL standards when he arrived and because we didn't play a system that suited him. Egan is worth way more than the £10m I've seen suggested, especially when put into the context of what other CBs have gone for in recent years.

Great counter argument.
Any reasoning aside from your gut feel given Matt took the effort to answer you with at least some supporting evidence to support his view?
I would have to agree i would be surprised if we got anywhere close to £20 mill for Egan.

Not only is he pushing 30 but he is fairly limited. Yes he does a good job for us as the old school blocker type but don't think his ball playing skills are up to demand for the PL

Back
Top Bottom