£40m worth of sales before any new signings - The Athletic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Are we really falling back to the nonsense that we’d take less than we paid for any of the players we’ve bought?
£20M for Sander when he has a release clause? Do me a favour.

With The Athletic, a fairly sensible source, reporting today that the board told Wilder around £40 million worth of sales would have to be generated in the summer transfer window to make up the revenue shortfall caused by us dropping into the Championship. They also seem to be inferring that those sales are before United look to bring in any signings of our own. I’m presuming from that that further sales will be necessary to generate any transfer funds to fund a rebuild.

Setting aside the above which I find a little troubling, I’d be interested in canvassing views on who we could / would sell to address the shortfall. Effectively these are players we shouldn’t need to replace.

Berge looks a certainty now, brought in for £25m - would we recoup that? £20m perhaps.

We are clearly top heavy in the squad - I would like to keep McBurnie & Brewster as I think they would be outstanding at Champ level with service. Mousset would be moved on for me - £7m would be a reasonable receipt for someone who could potentially do the business at PL level but is damaged goods. I think we’d have to make a judgment between Sharp & McGoldrick, I’d go with the latter.

Apart from that I’m struggling a little - I wouldn’t want to lose Egan as I think he’s critical for us. Perhaps a Baldock or Bogle - £10m?

Not sure how we’ll fund a rebuild. Unless I’m missing some obvious ones?
Unfortunately, there’s no chance we’ll get £7m for Mousset.

A cancelled fat contract is the best we can hope for. Fucking waster.

Are we really falling back to the nonsense that we’d take less than we paid for any of the players we’ve bought?
£20M for Sander when he has a release clause? Do me a favour.

Sounds realistic to me. We don’t have a single player who’s proved anywhere near their worth, so if sales are necessary we’ll be forced to deal below what we’ve paid.

And the thought of no turnover of players fills me with more dread.

Don't think we'll get owt ,for the ones we've bought while we've been up here, we will just be looking for some one to take the debt off our hands...

What you find in these types of arguments is that players the fans would prefer to sell aren’t worth much.
Where as the players fans would like to keep tend to bring in the most money.

Young age ensures a decent valuation....the conservative estimates for me are
Think the only players with true PL quality/ value is Berge....over 20 million.
Brewster 12 to 15 million and McBurnie 12 million.
Ramsdale would also be worth at least 10 million.
O’Connell could be worth 20 million but PL clubs will want to see how he reacts to his injury.

There‘s another factor effecting prices.
We don’t yet know how covid will effect the market....maybe next season PL clubs will be more financially prudent....lowering many valuations.
I think Ramsdale might be a saving grace. Decent performances second half of the season might mean we can recoup most of what we paid.

And I still feel that a £2m goalkeeper would do just as good a job.

A lot depends on which players actually have suitors. Berge and Egan will be wanted and should cover the shortfall between them.

But we also need to get rid of some players and probably take a financial hit in doing so. Mousset being the biggest issue.

Once sorted, we need to buy creativity and replace any big name sales. The market should be favourable for us to do so, but it’s still a tough ask that needs dealing with ASAP.
Out of all our higher profile players they would also be the easiest to replace. Egan in the three is the most limited and we’ve never played a style which gets the best of our Sander. Those would be the most likely two for me and would get close to the £50M being mentioned.
Of course if we kept them they would be huge at Championship level and be the core of a side hoping to come back up and renovating our playing style to better compete at PL level.

Berge and Egan should make up the £40m
The issue for the club is being able to move on the ones that haven’t cut it.
Moose and Burke for me
Kean Bryan, Jags, Roswell and Robinson can leave (are they at the end of their contracts?)
What’s Freeman’s situation?
If we are allowed to, I’d bring Coulibaly over
Draft Norrington Davies into the squad

Trying to be positive, but with no manager and a sell off coming, I’m of the opinion this is the beginning of the 10 year cycle out of the PL

No qualms from me, sell to rebuild. The whole point of buying players with a resale value, is that they have intrinsic value if/when you need to sell!

Possible sales...

Berge seems certain to go and should account for the majority of that. 30-35m?

Egan seems a likely candidate to get offloaded, particularly if you believe the rumours around wages. 10-15m?

Baldock may attract some interest, and wouldn't be oppose to selling as Bogle is natural more attacking replacement. 8-10m?

Mousset, some club might take a gamble on him for 5m or so?

JOC, no chance a club will gamble until end of next season earliest.
Brewster, Mcburnie, Fleck can't see anyone being interested in. Maybe of Swansea get promoted?

Ramsdale has shown some form, and recouping what we paid for an early 20s GK with 2 seasons first team Premier League experience shouldn't be a problem. 15m?

Think likely it'll be Berge plus one more from the above.

Oh yes, the 'selling club' label will inevitably be tagged over summer. To those that do, please name a club that has been relegated in recent seasons and has not sold assets and reduced their wage bill. From memory, Newcastle are the only club that even came close to doing so.

The summer will also see many ridiculous and baseless valuations of players, with some amusing ones already on this thread.

Rodley if you're confident you could find a buyer willing to pay £7m for Mousset, I'm sure the club would love to hear from you. I also have a famous bridge in London and some magic beans you could sell them.

It’s actually a really good article which also goes into depth on the search for a new manager. Around 25 names who are having extensive due diligence completed on them which is what’s taking the time. For those interested Jokanovic is on that list as is Howe and Appleton but the board won’t be rushed and believed getting this stage right is critical as well as giving us the ability to move quickly and decisively once we have our top target(s).
The article is huge and wide reaching and as I’ve said several times if you want quality content on us you should be subscribing as it’s generally excellent and well balanced.

Last edited:
Psychologically steeling myself for a mediocre season next year, maybe even a little flirt with the relegation trap door. JOC, Berge, Baldock and Egan sales, will fund our next signings.

Yorkshire encounters with Dingles, Smoggies and Dull next season.

Mousse is a silly boy. He'll wake up when he's too old to resurrect his career.

Oh yes, the 'selling club' label will inevitably be tagged over summer. To those that do, please name a club that has been relegated in recent seasons and has not sold assets and reduced their wage bill. From memory, Newcastle are the only club that even came close to doing so.

The summer will also see many ridiculous and baseless valuations of players, with some amusing ones already on this thread.

Rodley if you're confident you could find a buyer willing to pay £7m for Mousset, I'm sure the club would love to hear from you. I also have a famous bridge in London and some magic beans you could sell them.

Bit of potential there, can perform at PL level, if you can get £10m for Hugill, you can get £7m for Mousset.

I don’t think anyone is not expecting SUFC not to sell every player. What people don’t want to see is a fire sale, with no funds for new additions. We’re not dropping down to the Championship with Bournemouth or Watford wages, and I suspect we are still spending less than Norwich were last season.

Football isn’t sustainable, “good” owners cover the losses and provide funds for transfers out of their own pockets. “Bad” owners don’t provide any funds or subsidies. I don’t want to hear owners talking about being sustainable as that means the well is running dry. Novel strategies to acquire new clubs, innovative sponsorship deals, it’s all immaterial. In an innately loss making business, the clubs with owners willing to bear the most losses and fund the most signings inevitably win. People will want to see that approach next season and will react accordingly to news to the contrary. Such is life in football.

I love this sort of thread where the argument is due to Covid teams won't want to pay top whack for our players. The next sentence will be something like due to Covid other clubs will be asking us to pay a fortune for their players to make up for their losses. It's always we have to sell low and buy high.

I love this sort of thread where the argument is due to Covid teams won't want to pay top whack for our players. The next sentence will be something like due to Covid other clubs will be asking us to pay a fortune for their players to make up for their losses. It's always we have to sell low and buy high.
I don’t see how it can’t be the case that we’re in a considerably stronger position than most Championship clubs. We have assets to sell, parachute payments as well as one of the larger fan bases. Downside is we’ll have a much higher wage bill than last time to support.

I would sell Berge. Probably our most valuable and saleable asset and whilst he is obviously a talented footballer he doesn't really fit our system in my view.

I didn't realise you'd worked out what system the new manager is going to be using next season, please, elaborate (although yeah, Berge shouldn't be playing for us one way or another next season)

When the new managers name is revealed,I'm tipping its going to be the most underwhelming appointment since Robson.
I dont think the Robson appointment was underwhelming at the time ,he cost us our parachute payments but it seemed a good appointment with his contacts as it turned out he was a busted flush ,IThink McCabe will regret that appointment more than most and he's made a few bad uns which have cost the club a lot

How many of the youngsters are ready for the Championship. Shouldn't they be tested on loans to lower leagues before they are put up against Championship players.
RND is the only one we can be sure of currently possibly slater as a squad player as he has started to establish himself at hull in league one. Smith has struggled to get into a dire Swindon side and ndiaye well it’s shit or get off the pot time because he’s 21 likewise sam graham at 20. The other younger lads probably should be loaned out this summer unless one of the standouts like brunt actually gets game time between now and seasons end and stakes a claim.

I can’t see too many PL teams being in for Egan.

Can’t we take the £10m off Milan for Coulibaly and count that. Then take £6m for McBurnie, £3m for Moose, £1m for Burke and see what Liverpool’s returns policy is on Brewster?

If O'Connell isn't going to be back playing Kean Bryan has got to be offered a new contract. His 5 seconds of madness yesterday doesn't change that. We're up the creek

Also from the Athletic.

Championship market is dead.
Largely skint away from the biggest PL teams means most teams can’t shop for quantity. Plus clubs have to scout remotely as they can’t watch them properly so PL clubs looking to loans not transfers.
Lower level Foreign players will be blocked so no easy replacements lower in the leagues and Covid will have hit the Championship clubs much worse than us and players wages dropping giving us a competitive advantage.

If O'Connell isn't going to be back playing Kean Bryan has got to be offered a new contract. His 5 seconds of madness yesterday doesn't change that. We're up the creek
Or sign someone better?

Been here 3 seasons and not good enough. Even in games he has done ok made big errors...WBA away, Chelsea home and last night. Just switches off or does daft things at vital moments meaning even if he is ok for the rest of games he has undone his work.

Surprised anyone is contemplating keeping any of the out of contract players. They all need to be moved on.

Also from the Athletic.

Championship market is dead.
Largely skint away from the biggest PL teams means most teams can’t shop for quantity. Plus clubs have to scout remotely as they can’t watch them properly so PL clubs looking to loans not transfers.
Lower level Foreign players will be blocked so no easy replacements lower in the leagues and Covid will have hit the Championship clubs much worse than us and players wages dropping giving us a competitive advantage.
For those reasons this summer should be a buyers market and you’d hope united would position themselves to exploit that.

Isn't £40 million the average relegated team raise by selling players?

It seems not entirely unreasonable to me.

Berge looks to be going regardless, so that's half.

If Egan really is on £40k per week after relegation then he's going. That's like to be £10 million plus

I assume the rest would depend on who gets offers. But if someone bids £5 million plus for the likes of Fleck, Baldock, Stevens etc then I assume, if they want to, we'd let them go. And if Wolves want to offer most of our money back for McBurnie, I suspect we'd snap their hands off.

So, yeah. Seems fairly reasonable to expect that level of sales.

Aren't Forest supposed to be signing Luke Freeman in the summer as part of the loan deal - Loan to Perm. If so should get afew million for Freeman doesn't look like his no future @ The Lane

For those reasons this summer should be a buyers market and you’d hope united would position themselves to exploit that.
Makes sense to cash-in on players if PL interest and then use some of that money to buy from a depressed Championship market.

Bryan should be let go. He's not a young kid anymore (23?) and he still has regular brain farts most games and good few of em have been costly.

He will make a career in the game but I'd let him go and use his wage saved on another incoming player. I'm not a huge fan of Robinson and also drops a few bollocks but he is still in contract whereas Bryan isn't, and I think one of them needs to be moved on so it's a bye from me to Bryan. We also have Lowe who I think should replace Bryan in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom