£40m worth of sales before any new signings - The Athletic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It’s actually a really good article which also goes into depth on the search for a new manager. Around 25 names who are having extensive due diligence completed on them which is what’s taking the time. For those interested Jokanovic is on that list as is Howe and Appleton but the board won’t be rushed and believed getting this stage right is critical as well as giving us the ability to move quickly and decisively once we have our top target(s).
The article is huge and wide reaching and as I’ve said several times if you want quality content on us you should be subscribing as it’s generally excellent and well balanced.
Agreed, it’s the best press coverage of Utd you’ll find anywhere, and I’d be confident Richard Sutcliffe is at least as well informed and ITK as any other journalist, and possibly better. The speculation about Berge is all well and good, but he has a contractual release clause specifying an amount; as long as someone is prepared to pay that amount, and he wants to go, that’s the amount we’ll get, regardless of what us know nowts on a forum think.

He scored for them yesterday. But I’ve no idea why we’d let him go for £500k when there’s still a chance he could be a squad player next season. Strikers are never easy to find, his wages will be cheap and he may yet come good. I’d rather keep him, saving £500k isn’t much help.
Strange as he started off well and then has disappeared for nearly the entire season but I agree 500k one way or another doesn’t make much difference to us at this point in time.

Just sell tickets to the last game of the season for £5k a pop then we don't have to sell anyone

Berge - £25m
Mousset - £5m
Kyron Gordon - £5m (+ big sell on)
Foderingham - £500k
Enda Stevens - £4m
Tyler Smith - £500k
Cheep has chips 😳 too cheap!
Berge - £40+m
Enda - min £15+m
Moooos - £10m
Mcburnie £10

Strange as he started off well and then has disappeared for nearly the entire season but I agree 500k one way or another doesn’t make much difference to us at this point in time.
Probably going through a learning process, lots of young players are inconsistent at first and part of progressing is becoming more consistent. It’ll be interesting what happens now, given the change of manager.

I suspect Didsy and Billy will have a few niggles next season, given their age. I’ve written Mousset off as he’s unreliable so, if Billy and Didsy aren’t fit, you’ve only got McB and Brewster or Burke. They’ll probably be space on the bench for Smith next season on occasion.

Probably going through a learning process, lots of young players are inconsistent at first and part of progressing is becoming more consistent. It’ll be interesting what happens now, given the change of manager.

I suspect Didsy and Billy will have a few niggles next season, given their age. I’ve written Mousset off as he’s unreliable so, if Billy and Didsy aren’t fit, you’ve only got McB and Brewster or Burke. They’ll probably be space on the bench for Smith next season on occasion.
Potentially although it’s a massive leap from occasional league one player in a relegated side to being a contributor in a championship side with ambitions not sure I’d be comfortable with him getting minutes.

Potentially although it’s a massive leap from occasional league one player in a relegated side to being a contributor in a championship side with ambitions not sure I’d be comfortable with him getting minutes.
What would you suggest as an alternative?

Why would Ramsdale choose to move from his home city to either sit on a bench with a top half club or battle yet again with relegation for a bottom half club ?
I get your point but Ramsdale is a Stoke native who we picked up from Bolton's academy. Bolton released him as they had Jussi Jääskeläinen's son in the same year and only wanted to continue with one of them.

What would you suggest as an alternative?
I don’t particularly have one other than taking a low cost punt on someone slightly more proven a dembele from Peterborough on a free for example. Smith just isn’t high up on my list of players I see breaking through for united to be honest love to be proved wrong.

Getting a fee for Tyler Smith currently is incredibly optimistic let along half a million he’s not managed to get into a shocking Swindon side.
aye fair enough, my thinking was £500k might pay off his contract to a Scottish club or something

aye fair enough, my thinking was £500k might pay off his contract to a Scottish club or something
If united decide he doesn’t have a future with us I don’t see us putting a fee on him to lower his chances of getting fixed up elsewhere we normally don’t do that. In the past we’ve given players plenty of notice and time to go on trial elsewhere whilst still being paid. In the past I think the only thing we’ve done is put a sell on fee in like with whiteman.

I get your point but Ramsdale is a Stoke native who we picked up from Bolton's academy. Bolton released him as they had Jussi Jääskeläinen's son in the same year and only wanted to continue with one of them.
everyone says he is a blade but i dont even think he will be, wouldnt surprise me if he is a stoke fan but supports utd because of being an academy player here. Similar to Jags, Manchester local and most likely supports one of the two, but is a Blade by circumstance

He is 12 at most
Well he wears number 12. That's about it.

Adam Webster - Bristol City to Brighton £22m - 0 International caps. 0 PL games

Mings - AFCB to Villa. £25m. - 0 International caps. 17 PL games (10 starts)

Ake - Chelsea to AFCB. £20m. 0 International caps. 17 PL games (10 starts, 8 on loan at Bourne)

Ake - AFCB to Man City. £40m. 9 International caps. 134 PL games.

Egan - 12 International Caps. 60PL games.

There's probably tons more comparisons. Anything less than £20m and we've had our pants down

I dont think the Robson appointment was underwhelming at the time ,he cost us our parachute payments but it seemed a good appointment with his contacts as it turned out he was a busted flush ,IThink McCabe will regret that appointment more than most and he's made a few bad uns which have cost the club a lot
Most Blades fans thought he was a terrible appointment at the time.

Maybe, but I doubt that's even possible really without a lot of luck. I suspect there will be £40 million ringfenced but that is likely to be over a season. Luckily, we've paid for the majority of a PL spending upfront so we don't have to find huge amounts of money for payments of players we have already signed. Worth noting that the wages might be included in that figure. You're likely to be saving 7/8 million in wages for Berge and Egan.

If you look at our squad, losing a couple of strikers and a RWB are likely. Depending on what formation the new manager is going to play. If we're left with Sharp, McGoldrick, Brewster and Burke say, that's more than enough with youngsters filling in. If we're going to loan 5/6 then that makes the transition a bit easier.
Hopefully we only end up with Burke in the (unfortunately likely) event nobody else is interested.

I’d be worried about any manager that actually fancied using him.

Wowsers. Glad you're not the chairman if you think Egan is only worth £10m
We’ll probably find out in a few weeks! What would you say his value is? I’m a big fan but bearing in mind his age and his career to date, I can’t see it being much above £10m.

Well he wears number 12. That's about it.

Adam Webster - Bristol City to Brighton £22m - 0 International caps. 0 PL games

Mings - AFCB to Villa. £25m. - 0 International caps. 17 PL games (10 starts)

Ake - Chelsea to AFCB. £20m. 0 International caps. 17 PL games (10 starts, 8 on loan at Bourne)

Ake - AFCB to Man City. £40m. 9 International caps. 134 PL games.

Egan - 12 International Caps. 60PL games.

There's probably tons more comparisons. Anything less than £20m and we've had our pants down

Egan is 29 this year though, and we're in a recession so think everyone will be a bit skint.

We’ll probably find out in a few weeks! What would you say his value is? I’m a big fan but bearing in mind his age and his career to date, I can’t see it being much above £10m.
Well he's the same age as Tyrone Mings who commanded £25m with less PL experience. Yes, that was 2 years ago but a consistent performer at PL level and a full international? He's not with £12m is he.

He is also a Republic of Ireland international centre half. Bearing in mind other players previously mentioned £17.5m would be my starting line for negotiations.
Berge will go to nett us £30m and we will move squad players like moose, Robinson, possibly Lowe on to raise another £5. I would expect us to try and move Norwood, Fleck and Freeman on to raise a minimum of £5m.

It’s one thing saying we need to raise £40m but I can’t imagine that many of the first team will be in demand from other PL clubs. I’d like to think we will get circa £30m for Berge and we might get £10m for Egan, so there’s the £40m. Beyond those two I’m struggling to see where the interest will come. Possibly Bogle and Rammers. Hope we don’t lose any of the young lads coming through.
That could be absolute key not losing any of the young lads who have set the u23s alight. Start letting clubs dip in u23s shows how desperate we really are.

How can we be more skint after two years in the Premier League than we were before we were in it? We didn't need to sell £40m worth of players to get promoted last time.

Well he's the same age as Tyrone Mings who commanded £25m with less PL experience. Yes, that was 2 years ago but a consistent performer at PL level and a full international? He's not with £12m is he.
Hard to gauge. As I say, I’m a fan of Egan and would prefer him to stay. He’s been decent this season although his lack of pace has been exposed on several occasions, hence the red cards. If he left I could only realistically see him going to one of the promoted sides. Time will tell but I still think if we sold him we’d get closer to £10m than the £25m Mings went for.

He is also a Republic of Ireland international centre half. Bearing in mind other players previously mentioned £17.5m would be my starting line for negotiations.
Berge will go to nett us £30m and we will move squad players like moose, Robinson, possibly Lowe on to raise another £5. I would expect us to try and move Norwood, Fleck and Freeman on to raise a minimum of £5m.

On that basis, that gives us £40m but we need to sell on top of that to generate funds for new signings. £17.5m if we sell Egan gives us £17.5m to replace him and sign a whole new midfield.

With The Athletic, a fairly sensible source, reporting today that the board told Wilder around £40 million worth of sales would have to be generated in the summer transfer window to make up the revenue shortfall caused by us dropping into the Championship. They also seem to be inferring that those sales are before United look to bring in any signings of our own. I’m presuming from that that further sales will be necessary to generate any transfer funds to fund a rebuild.

Setting aside the above which I find a little troubling, I’d be interested in canvassing views on who we could / would sell to address the shortfall. Effectively these are players we shouldn’t need to replace.

Berge looks a certainty now, brought in for £25m - would we recoup that? £20m perhaps.

We are clearly top heavy in the squad - I would like to keep McBurnie & Brewster as I think they would be outstanding at Champ level with service. Mousset would be moved on for me - £7m would be a reasonable receipt for someone who could potentially do the business at PL level but is damaged goods. I think we’d have to make a judgment between Sharp & McGoldrick, I’d go with the latter.

Apart from that I’m struggling a little - I wouldn’t want to lose Egan as I think he’s critical for us. Perhaps a Baldock or Bogle - £10m?

Not sure how we’ll fund a rebuild. Unless I’m missing some obvious ones?
£20m for Berge? A young international footballer with loads of potential and 3 years on his contract.

there’s no way he will go for less than we bought him for.

If we need to raise £40, I’d guess £30m for Berge and £10-15m for Egan.

£20m for Berge? A young international footballer with loads of potential and 3 years on his contract.

there’s no way he will go for less than we bought him for.

If we need to raise £40, I’d guess £30m for Berge and £10-15m for Egan.

Would he have a relegation release clause higher than the sum we paid for him? I’d find that a little unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom