£40m worth of sales before any new signings - The Athletic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Makes sense to cash-in on players if PL interest and then use some of that money to buy from a depressed Championship market.
Yep hopefully united will be able to use funds generated intelligently to retool the squad the only thing I’m nervous about from the article is the implication that the first 40 million raised would be ring fenced.

Makes sense to cash-in on players if PL interest and then use some of that money to buy from a depressed Championship market.
Or from our foreign scouting given the due diligence we’re going through on all managers seems to indicate my view that they just over looked it with Blessin was wrong. Again if managed well it could be hugely advantageous for us if we make the right calls and have replacements identified.

Lower league foreign players blocked? depends how many games they have played etc.

Yep hopefully united will be able to use funds generated intelligently to retool the squad the only thing I’m nervous about from the article is the implication that the first 40 million raised would be ring fenced.

Thats the important distinction for me. If we’re raising £40m to purely plug the gap, and then we need sales above that to fund any new signings, I think that is a huge ask and a mammoth job for a new manager.

Maybe, but I doubt that's even possible really without a lot of luck. I suspect there will be £40 million ringfenced but that is likely to be over a season. Luckily, we've paid for the majority of a PL spending upfront so we don't have to find huge amounts of money for payments of players we have already signed. Worth noting that the wages might be included in that figure. You're likely to be saving 7/8 million in wages for Berge and Egan.

If you look at our squad, losing a couple of strikers and a RWB are likely. Depending on what formation the new manager is going to play. If we're left with Sharp, McGoldrick, Brewster and Burke say, that's more than enough with youngsters filling in. If we're going to loan 5/6 then that makes the transition a bit easier.

Maybe, but I doubt that's even possible really without a lot of luck. I suspect there will be £40 million ringfenced but that is likely to be over a season. Luckily, we've paid for the majority of a PL spending upfront so we don't have to find huge amounts of money for payments of players we have already signed. Worth noting that the wages might be included in that figure. You're likely to be saving 7/8 million in wages for Berge and Egan.

If you look at our squad, losing a couple of strikers and a RWB are likely. Depending on what formation the new manager is going to play. If we're left with Sharp, McGoldrick, Brewster and Burke say, that's more than enough with youngsters filling in. If we're going to loan 5/6 then that makes the transition a bit easier.
If it’s a 40 million pound saving that has to be found across a whole season including wages then yes that figure becomes a lot less concerning. A situation whereby 50 percent of fees acquired and wages saved was available for a rebuild could see us be very competitive in the transfer market.

With reference to retooling the side it depends just how depressed the transfer market is this summer. Outside of players with prem interest a scenario could arise where the clubs with cash available are the only real movers in a market which sees clubs needing to sell. Therefore transfer fees could crash allowing united to sign quantity as well as potential which would obviously increases are chances of finding first team players. However with all that said that’s what was anticipated last summer and owners held firm on the promise of jam tomorrow which never came and they may do so again.

I can’t see too many PL teams being in for Egan.

Can’t we take the £10m off Milan for Coulibaly and count that. Then take £6m for McBurnie, £3m for Moose, £1m for Burke and see what Liverpool’s returns policy is on Brewster?
I disagree, I reckon Egan will be in demand and we should get a decent fee for him.

Lower league foreign players blocked? depends how many games they have played etc.
Exactly, they aren't as readily available so to pick players from the lesser European leagues is more of a challenge.
Which players do you think lower Championship, L1 and L2 clubs have been buying?

Only £40m, that seems good to me, mainly covered when Berge goes for a bit more than we paid. He’s class. Other than that, I don’t think PL clubs will be in a rush for anyone else. Egan’s limitations exposed without JOC but might get up to £10m. I can’t believe Wolves have any real interest in McBurnie. I’m certainly not keen on him being a main from man next season, but we’re probably stuck with him. Of course we won’t get a penny for Mousset. Agree that JOC worth big money if can get back to full fitness, but likely to only go in January if so. A lower PL team might be interested in Fleck for £6-7m, he’ll still be good when better midfield players with him. Need to bring the three or four youngsters in, as named in the thread above and lose same number of older players. I’m hopeful it’s a good base for a new manager, but half expect our usual disaster of course.

If it’s a 40 million pound saving that has to be found across a whole season including wages then yes that figure becomes a lot less concerning. A situation whereby 50 percent of fees acquired and wages saved was available for a rebuild could see us be very competitive in the transfer market.

With reference to retooling the side it depends just how depressed the transfer market is this summer. Outside of players with prem interest a scenario could arise where the clubs with cash available are the only real movers in a market which sees clubs needing to sell. Therefore transfer fees could crash allowing united to sign quantity as well as potential which would obviously increases are chances of finding first team players. However with all that said that’s what was anticipated last summer and owners held firm on the promise of jam tomorrow which never came and they may do so again.
There's also £10M saved from not raiding the piggy bank in January.

Ref the Jam tomorrow, that was brave last season and it was taken against the general expectation that fans would be back in at some point, hopefully for most of the season.
That didn't play out, in fact we could even start next season with greatly reduced crowds. There's only so long that you can hold fast against those rising losses, and there's also only so long that your assets retain the interest and therefore value.

Last edited:
There's also £10M saved from not raiding the piggy bank in January.

Ref the Jam tomorrow, that was brave last season and it was against the general expectation that fans would be back in at some point, hopefully for most of the season.
That didn't play out, in fact we could even start next season with greatly reduced crowds. There's only so long that you can hold fast against those rising losses, and there's also only so long that you're assets retain the interest and therefore value.
I agree it was brave and the likelihood of it happening again is obviously less but there’s a quite a few erm illogical owners in the championship to be polite.

3 teams to come down should be looking for bargains.
Three clubs coming down. The Championship clubs will be asking as much as they can for their players, it is not going to be that easy plugging gaps.
If we are expecting our kids to fill in we will be in the Championship for a long time. Norwich has set the model.

3 teams to come down should be looking for bargains.
Three clubs coming down. The Championship clubs will be asking as much as they can for their players, it is not going to be that easy plugging gaps.
If we are expecting our kids to fill in we will be in the Championship for a long time. Norwich has set the model.
The thing is, if PL club aren't looking to spend big due to the risk, there won't be the competition which will drive the price down.
We would have to be willing to take that risk however the risk is reduced because we're asking the players to play at the level they've already proven themselves. The PL clubs are needing them to step up significantly.
It could be a significant advantage for us, even if PL teams do some raiding for our perceived PL talent as their safer option. To secure it, they'll need to pay.
Aside from the fact we are selling our talent, it could be win - win for a club undertaking a rebuild project.

I don’t see how it can’t be the case that we’re in a considerably stronger position than most Championship clubs. We have assets to sell, parachute payments as well as one of the larger fan bases. Downside is we’ll have a much higher wage bill than last time to support.
I seem to remember a similar situation when we went down 07 due to the WH debacle. We had a few bob then and look what happened?
KM fked up big time bringing the wrong manager in, fkin Robson!
The manager appointment is key. Get that right and your halfway there. Fk up and it doesn’t matter how much money is thrown at it we go nowhere

I seem to remember a similar situation when we went down 07 due to the WH debacle. We had a few bob then and look what happened?
KM fked up big time bringing the wrong manager in, fkin Robson!
The manager appointment is key. Get that right and your halfway there. Fk up and it doesn’t matter how much money is thrown at it we go nowhere

Hopefully they get it right. The Athletic saying it is quite a detailed, non-rushed process:

The Athletic has been told that as many as 25 names have been identified and assessed over the past four to five weeks as to their suitability to the vacant role, including a preferred style of play, with the board well aware that the current squad was put together specifically to suit a 3-5-2 system.

With The Athletic, a fairly sensible source, reporting today that the board told Wilder around £40 million worth of sales would have to be generated in the summer transfer window to make up the revenue shortfall caused by us dropping into the Championship. They also seem to be inferring that those sales are before United look to bring in any signings of our own. I’m presuming from that that further sales will be necessary to generate any transfer funds to fund a rebuild.

Setting aside the above which I find a little troubling, I’d be interested in canvassing views on who we could / would sell to address the shortfall. Effectively these are players we shouldn’t need to replace.

Berge looks a certainty now, brought in for £25m - would we recoup that? £20m perhaps.

We are clearly top heavy in the squad - I would like to keep McBurnie & Brewster as I think they would be outstanding at Champ level with service. Mousset would be moved on for me - £7m would be a reasonable receipt for someone who could potentially do the business at PL level but is damaged goods. I think we’d have to make a judgment between Sharp & McGoldrick, I’d go with the latter.

Apart from that I’m struggling a little - I wouldn’t want to lose Egan as I think he’s critical for us. Perhaps a Baldock or Bogle - £10m?

Not sure how we’ll fund a rebuild. Unless I’m missing some obvious ones?
So relegation to league one then.

I can’t see too many PL teams being in for Egan.

Can’t we take the £10m off Milan for Coulibaly and count that. Then take £6m for McBurnie, £3m for Moose, £1m for Burke and see what Liverpool’s returns policy is on Brewster?

Not at £20m.

Hopefully they get it right. The Athletic saying it is quite a detailed, non-rushed process:

The Athletic has been told that as many as 25 names have been identified and assessed over the past four to five weeks as to their suitability to the vacant role, including a preferred style of play, with the board well aware that the current squad was put together specifically to suit a 3-5-2 system.
This thread is all about the current squad being broken up to raise money,so I can't see what the point is of looking for a manager for this squad to play that formation,when it's going to be broken up and any new manager can play whatever formation he wants.

Berge - £25m
Mousset - £5m
Kyron Gordon - £5m (+ big sell on)
Foderingham - £500k
Enda Stevens - £4m
Tyler Smith - £500k

This thread is all about the current squad being broken up to raise money,so I can't see what the point is of looking for a manager for this squad to play that formation,when it's going to be broken up and any new manager can play whatever formation he wants.
True- though it doesn't sound like there is going to be much ability to bring in new players, so it would be difficult for a manager who uses a formation that relies on wingers for example with our current team.

Berge - £25m
Mousset - £5m
Kyron Gordon - £5m (+ big sell on)
Foderingham - £500k
Enda Stevens - £4m
Tyler Smith - £500k
Getting a fee for Tyler Smith currently is incredibly optimistic let along half a million he’s not managed to get into a shocking Swindon side.

True- though it doesn't sound like there is going to be much ability to bring in new players, so it would be difficult for a manager who uses a formation that relies on wingers for example with our current team.
Well,they are reducing their options in choice of managers by dictating which formation he has to play, when they don't even know which players will be staying,which is stupid.Any decent choice,such as Jokanovic is hardly going to be attracted to the job if he knows sny quality player needs to be sold,and theres no money to spend on replacements.

We’ll get more than that for mcburnie... and why the fuck would we get only 10 mil for Ramsdale when I’d argue he’s worth more now than what we paid for him😂😂
Why would Ramsdale choose to move from his home city to either sit on a bench with a top half club or battle yet again with relegation for a bottom half club ?

Egan will definitely attract some interest, even though he's been as bad as all but the most shocking of our players this season.

Bournemouth sold Ake and Ramsdale for good money and Norwich sold two of their defenders, and neither of those teams were brilliant defensively.

Don't think we'll get £20m or anywhere close though, but I could see a few clubs having a go with £12m

Getting a fee for Tyler Smith currently is incredibly optimistic let along half a million he’s not managed to get into a shocking Swindon side.
He scored for them yesterday. But I’ve no idea why we’d let him go for £500k when there’s still a chance he could be a squad player next season. Strikers are never easy to find, his wages will be cheap and he may yet come good. I’d rather keep him, saving £500k isn’t much help.

Back
Top Bottom