Sheffield United v. Brentford - 05/08/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Match thread for the season opener - Sheffield United v Brentford

Officials:
Ref:
STEPHEN MARTIN
Assistants: David Avent and Jonathan Hunt
Fourth Official: Oliver Langford

Reading some of the Brentford comments, the majority feel they will be far too much for us and win comfortably. As we "won't be able to deal with their passing, pressing and movement." And they "should be beating cloggers like this"

Reading some of the Brentford comments, the majority feel they will be far too much for us and win comfortably. As we "won't be able to deal with their passing, pressing and movement." And they "should be beating cloggers like this"
Morons. And to think we have been saying things like don't underestimate Brentford, they are a decent side, etc.
What gets me about this is that anyone who had the slightest interest in English league football must be aware that we won League One by a mile playing really good football. T
So they know it, but they persist in coming out with bollocks like we are "cloggers".
Morons.

Brentford won't know what's fucking hit them.

This *bladacoaster* isn't about to stop anytime soon. ;)

*What a shite word! :D

I will only believe the season is imminent when Roygbiv submits his official "pre match view from Brentford" thread.

Cockney wankers.

Morons. And to think we have been saying things like don't underestimate Brentford, they are a decent side, etc.
What gets me about this is that anyone who had the slightest interest in English league football must be aware that we won League One by a mile playing really good football. T
So they know it, but they persist in coming out with bollocks like we are "cloggers".
Morons.
Wankers. Still think Dave Bassett is in charge probably.

Sheffield United Away Day Guide on the official Brentford FC website..

I'm not sure why they think the distance to Hillsborough would be relevant?

View attachment 29150

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2017/august/sheffield-united-away-day-guide/
If I was an away fan coming to Bramall lane I'd go away thinking it was a proper away day out up there with the best on offer. I don't think I'm being biased when I say this but it really is a good day out with loads on offer.

Tough opening fixture,I expect them to go well,but not an easy game for them either...think we'll have enough...2-1 Blades.

Technically, I used to post match threads (and when I had time, opposition comments) long before the rainbow man appeared on the scene... #newbie :)

Tut. Another bandwagon jumper. :)

When we beat brentford in our first home game in league one I didn't think I'd be so excited to be playing them again 6 years later. Can't wait for Saturday!

They were shit that day and I was sure we'd be in and out of league one in a flash, now I'm hoping we do a brentford :)

Don't underestimate them, will be a proper test this one.

Going to this match will be like getting out of chokey - well that's how 6 years in that hell-hole felt like :tumbleweed:

Proper football match in store. Brentford have a good manager and are a sophisticated, quality team on the cusp of a big challenge for promotion. As for us, we are quite a sophisticated, quality team that's not afraid to express itself and do the hard and dirty bits when needed. We may be a little vulnerable at the back to pace and runners from midfield for a while and our keeper is an unknown at this level and only settling in. We may start a bit cautious and grow into the game. A number of our players have a bit to prove at this level but we have come up strong and united and have a lot of strength in the group.

Fascinating to see how Blackman does. Also Stearman, hope he is mobile and a leader at the back. Must defend set pieces better. How will Sharp and Clarke equip themselves at this level? Clarke will put a big shift in and probably drop a bit deeper. Will Coutts and Fleck find the space they are used to or even more at times? Will it be Duffy or Carruthers or could it possibly be Lundstram if Wilder thinks Brentford and that Joti ( is that his name) are that dangerous? Will Brooks get a run off the bench? Can Freeman possibly be as effective at this level?

One thing's for sure, there will be a great atmosphere and our home crowd has an opportunity to establish itself as 100% clappers, giving the team wholehearted support through thick and thin and today might be a real test and a reality check.

If we do win and win convincingly then the sky's the limit !! Great to be back but we are only passing through on our way to the Prem:D:D

Last edited:
So at last football returns, and I'm sure most of us are delighted to be kicking off at home with the visit of Brentford to BDBL. Brentford finished the season very well last term, and though not one of the most 'glamorous' teams in the Championship they have some very good players which they've held on too. This will indeed be an intriguing test, and a great chance to see how we'll compete against an accomplished Championshipe side. However opening day fixtures can often throw up results which do not necessarily herald what will be going forward......

SO.....

Any team news? :)

Ched and Baldock not quite ready for first team action?

Moore definitely out so Blackman will make his debut?

How will the quartet of signings, Thomas, Stevens, Stearman and Lundstram be introduced into the side? All starting? (Doubtful obviosuly :) )

Will the Beard be anywhere to be seen?

Really looking forward to the match today. Being over 2000 miles away means my only chance is via a stream, but hopefully the match day chatroom will be also be available. Having watched the Sunderland v Derby match last night I didn't see anything to fear, but perhaps opening night fixture and 2 teams cancelling each other out was the reason for that.

Can't see us being quite so lethargic though and pretty sure we'll make a good attacking dispay. Have major concerns about the defence though with a young Goalkeeper making his debut. Of course Chelsea are no mugs so any player they have is likely to be 'up to it'. Anyway, hopefully we start as we finished last season, and I predict a repeat of that result... 3-2 Blades win..

UTCB

If we could try and keep the majority of chat about today's game in here, that'd be grand.

Proper football match in store. Brentford have a good manager and are a sophisticated, quality team on the cusp of a big challenge for promotion. As for us, we are quite a sophisticated, quality team that's not afraid to express itself and do the hard and dirty bits when needed. We may be a little vulnerable at the back to pace and runners from midfield for a while and our keeper is an unknown at this level and only settling in. We may start a bit cautious and grow into the game. A number of our players have a bit to prove at this level but we have come up strong and united and have a lot of strength in the group.

Fascinating to see how Blackman does. Also Stearman, hope he is mobile and a leader at the back. Must defend set pieces better. How will Sharp and Clarke equip themselves at this level? Clarke will put a big shift in and probably drop a bit deeper. Will Coutts and Fleck find the space they are used to or even more at times? Will it be Duffy or Carruthers or could it possibly be Lundstram if Wilder thinks Brentford and that Joti ( is that his name) are that dangerous? Will Brooks get a run off the bench? Can Freeman possibly be as effective at this level?

One thing's for sure, there will be a great atmosphere and our home crowd has an opportunity to establish itself as 100% clappers, giving the team wholehearted support through thick and thin and today might be a real test and a reality check.

If we do win and win convincingly then the sky's the limit !! Great to be back but we are only passing through on our way to the Prem:D:D
I think he'll go for Carruthers over Duffy...I'm expecting us to be at it from the start and on the front foot.
Should be a good game,Brentford are no mugs...good attacking team.
As you say,interesting to see how Blackman and Stearman get on...wonder if we'll see Stevens ahead of Lafferty.

When was the last time we played a home League game when we were the underdogs?

When was the last time we played a home League game when we were the underdogs?
Underdogs H?...I would say it's a 50/50 game,but thinking we'll shade it...not looked at the odds yet from bookies.

Back
Top Bottom