Match Thread Sheffield United v. Brighton & Hove Albion - 18th February 2024

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BRI
BRI
BRI
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1708114595094.png Vs 1708114600809.png

Premier League Matchweek 25 - Sunday 18th February 2024 - 14:00 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Player Ratings:
Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-brighton-hove-albion.681/

Officials:

Referee: Stuart Attwell
Assistants: Neil Davies, Steve Meredith
Fourth Official: Anthony Taylor
VAR: Michael Oliver
Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 20.16.01.png

On the whole i agree, we have to rebuild, we all know that, but we can't rebuild with just academy players, we have to invest in new blood that are fit and ready to play competitive football

That is fair. If we know that we have said new blood that are fit and ready to play the level we will be at from within, then we are not going to know that by leaving them getting splinters in their arse

EASIEST win of the season tomorrow! 5-1 to the Blades!

Why am I so optimistic? Because I'm a PROPER Blade!

In fact, I'd go as far to say anyone who doesn't share my optimism clearly wants us to lose and is probably a PIG!
Everything was going exactly according to plan until Holgate got sent off...

And just to compound what we are all discussing Luton have gone two nil down after six minutes - it's not just us getting hammered.
Wilder, Dyche & Rob Edwards (generally regarded as the most up & coming manager in the Prem'), All regarded as descent managers yet they are all managing clubs at the bottom, it's about investment, the gap between top & bottom is huge in terms of investment, that's the problem!

I am currently in a timezone where I could watch that (unfortunately). I watched it with my brother who is a Wendy. (we watched the Millwall game last night too).

Wow, that was so bad. I mean nothing to see here. The only thing was when the 3rd went in, I said to him, watch the floodgates open, this will be 5 or 6. Shame I didn't put a bet on it, at least it would have covered the £11 a pint I paid. (only had 2.5 pints) but still, the bill was like a harpoon through the chest to pay to watch that.

Onwards and upwards, this season is a flop. See if we can grab a couple of points here and there.

It's not really on topic, but I said to my brother, and I think I am right. I would use the parashoot payments and sort the kop out. We can build a team with no money, as we have everytime before.

And just to compound what we are all discussing Luton have gone two nil down after six minutes - it's not just us getting hammered.
Wilder, Dyche & Rob Edwards (generally regarded as the most up & coming manager in the Prem'), All regarded as descent managers yet they are all managing clubs at the bottom, it's about investment, the gap between top & bottom is huge in terms of investment, that's the problem!
Well, Wilder is certainly a 'descent' manager 🤣🤣 (only joking with u lad!)

30,000 blades hate one man in particular ( clue, it's a defender, not a manager)

Holgate was miles favourite to win the ball! How the fuck he missed it is absolutely ridiculous!
Ben Osborn, Larouci, Robinson 🥴
He actually did win the ball, more by accident and unbeknownst to him, with his left foot.

Deserved the red for being shit stupid as much as for the danger of the tackle.

Osborn was stood offside when we won the initial header. After that he was offside but it came off their man.

But I'd imagine was given for the earlier action.

It's not wrong, but it just sums up what happens when you

Was clear offside
Didn't realise rules had changed, used to be that if ball came off opposition player you are not offside, since ball was played via brighton players head. Please let me know otherwise as I say, unless rules have changed recently.

Well Loco Blade here finally back in Manchester thanks to a fucked up rail network that makes our defence look good ! How we all feeling ? Blades breaking records again ( goals conceded by today ! Worst in prem history! ) Never dull is it . It’s a Monty Python esk run into the inevitable relegation scenario why not enjoy . Soon we will have a few great day outs at Millwall and Cov ! No VAR to ruin our Saturday or Gary Lin to bo our piss so come on the futures bright the futures blade ⚔️❤️

Didn't realise rules had changed, used to be that if ball came off opposition player you are not offside, since ball was played via brighton players head. Please let me know otherwise as I say, unless rules have changed recently.
Their player has to intentionally play the ball for it to have stood. As he knew nothing about it and it just hit him then it was deemed not intentional and Osborn was offside from the initial header back just prior.

Their player has to intentionally play the ball for it to have stood. As he knew nothing about it and it just hit him then it was deemed not intentional and Osborn was offside from the initial header back just prior.
To me he plays it. He sees the ball with plenty of time, this is why he tried to duck out of the way if it. Osborn wasn't interfering with play and the ball back across wasn't intended for him either so...

To me he plays it. He sees the ball with plenty of time, this is why he tried to duck out of the way if it. Osborn wasn't interfering with play and the ball back across wasn't intended for him either so...
Doesn’t matter if the header back across was for Osborn or not, he’s miles offside. The ball clearly hits their player and he didn’t intentionally play the ball backwards which is why it was disallowed.

I’m not saying the rules are right btw, I’m just answering your question as to why it was disallowed and if you go by the rules it was the correct decision to disallow it.

Ah I see. It’s different when your profession is being discussed. You work selling carpets all week too, so shouldn’t you give passion to that to serve the hardworking people buying for their homes . Salary is completely irrelevant. I’m in the Ambulance service, so by that logic I should not live and breathe that as much as footballers because I’m not paid thousands and thousands. Your argument is completely incoherent. I’m not trying to fall out with you at all, so I shall wish you a good Sunday. I hope we can disagree as Blades and you enjoy the rest of your day 👍🏻⚔️
I bet the nights fly by in your house pal 🥱🥴🤣

Doesn’t matter if the header back across was for Osborn or not, he’s miles offside. The ball clearly hits their player and he didn’t intentionally play the ball backwards which is why it was disallowed.

I’m not saying the rules are right btw, I’m just answering your question as to why it was disallowed and if you go by the rules it was the correct decision to disallow it.
It doesn't matter if he intentionally plays the ball backwards. It's if he goes to play the ball regardless, which there's an argument he did.

It doesn't matter if he intentionally plays the ball backwards. It's if he goes to play the ball regardless, which there's an argument he did.
It has to be a deliberate act, if you think that was a deliberate act and he saw it with loads of time and intentionally played the ball then so be it, nothing will change your mind 👍

It has to be a deliberate act, if you think that was a deliberate act and he saw it with loads of time and intentionally played the ball then so be it, nothing will change your mind 👍

Is this rule actually in the statute books, then? To me it sounds like one they made up as they went along.

Is this rule actually in the statute books, then? To me it sounds like one they made up as they went along.
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
(...)

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

No change to Law 11 is necessary but, to reflect football’s expectation, the guidelines for distinguishing between ‘deliberate play’ and ‘deflection’ are clarified as follows:

‘Deliberate play’ is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:

• passing the ball to a team-mate; or
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it).

If the pass, attempt to gain possession or clearance by the player in control of the ball is inaccurate or unsuccessful, this does not negate the fact that the player ‘deliberately played’ the ball.

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, ‘deliberately played’ the ball:

• The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
(...)

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

No change to Law 11 is necessary but, to reflect football’s expectation, the guidelines for distinguishing between ‘deliberate play’ and ‘deflection’ are clarified as follows:

‘Deliberate play’ is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:

• passing the ball to a team-mate; or
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it).

If the pass, attempt to gain possession or clearance by the player in control of the ball is inaccurate or unsuccessful, this does not negate the fact that the player ‘deliberately played’ the ball.

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, ‘deliberately played’ the ball:

• The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air

Fair enough. I’ve yet to (pluck up the courage to) watch the highlights, but if ever I do, I will remember to then examine the possibilities of intent, distance, and the ref being a twat!

But isn’t it typical of VAR this season? It isn’t bent (just incompetent), but they do themselves no favours with the way they go about things.

For example, in the Cup game against BHA, both our goals are scrutinised for an age before being given. Against Villa, we are 5-0 down in the last minute when we score. They spend another age determining that somebody’s left testicle was a pube-width offside. Then today, the referee with the worst eyesight in footballing history disallows a goal for a foul before it’s even hit the net, then VAR check it for a foul, handball, GBH, driving the wrong way down a one-way street, kidney-punching a disabled granny, grooming, and soliciting, before they eventually decide it’s offside.

I’m fucked off with everything football this week and wouldn’t mind if I never had to attend another game in my life. See you all at Molineux next week.

today was down to Holgate challenge, i still say that at time it looked a great challenge. its not as bad as villa was because as soon as you go a man down to these. its mountain to climb. these topped a europa league group with marseille & ajax

the capitulation in the last 20 mins was deeply disappointing. but i thought we played as well as we could expect at 2-0. mcatee looked threatening at points

I'd left early precisely twice in nearly 30 years before today. Once to beat the traffic on my 12th birthday, when I had a party to get to, and once to beat the weather, to get home from that boxing day game at port vale in the snow.

Today, for the first time in my Blades-supporting life, I walked out of a match early for no other reason than I just could not be arsed to watch any more of that insipid, gutless, spineless shite that we were showing. I stayed till the end vs Newcastle and Villa, but today, I just couldn't face any more once the 4th went in.

Pathetic from front to back.

They kick off at 2 - we usually kick
off at 2-15 , 2-20, 2-33, 2-42 , 3-00, 3 - 11 ….then take control from there

Hope this helps
Congrats are in order,this wasn’t that far from what happened!

It's not dull being a Blade. Our Jeckyll and Hyde performances mean we never know who's turning up for our matches this season. Though it's mostly Hyde at home unfortunately. Also, it's not so much fortress Bramall Lane as sandcastle of late.

Woke up fancying myself as a pundit this morning so thought I would get a few clichés in early doors.

Had a few words with my two sons re the substitution of Ousala for Trusty.

IMO that should have happened the second Everton agent Holgate (spit) was red carded.

No, Wilder waits while we are 2 down before the substitution then drops the whole team into defending our last third for the rest of the game.

Essentially his tactic was to defend a two goal deficit! WTF even I don’t need Bergen Blade to tell me that in our current league position that’s a recipe for another five goal drubbing……. Oh, ‘ang on that’s what happened.

This board (and dare I suggest the fan base) is going to split again over Wilder. He was the greatest thing that happened to this club with his last ditch overlapping centre backs and ninth PL season but he is certainly not the messiah.

We can’t sack him unless Warnock will leave Aberdeen and care take until we get an owner that can afford to run a PL club.

having forced myself to watch the highlights just to get a better look at the carnage, & as much as holgate will take the blame. Bogle's marking was truly dreadful for them 1st 2 goals,

youve got to love this. i didnt have Brighton fans down to be this thin skinned, i thought they were a decent lot. but i genuinely got blocked for stating history i dont know if there thin skinned genuinely that delusional 😄

Screenshot_20240219_110402_X.jpg

Back
Top Bottom