Roy's View From... Bournemouth Fans Views On The Opening Day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reminiscent of Brentford fans comments when we got back to the Championship. Look how that turned out for them!

And if anyone needs a reminder, courtesy of the excellent work of our very own Roygbiv

“got to beat kloggers like this if we are going for promotion or at least a shot at it. They will be under pressure to perform from their knuckle dragging fans and wont handle the pressure especially why our forward line start running at them…”

“Team full of has- beens. 3 points for us.”

“I think they’ll get hammered.

More reply’s to my mistake, than all the knowledge I passed on to you ,it was meant to be nearly 100 , footballl league since 1923
Well if you come on a forum trying to tell us you are bigger than you actually are then you need to get your terminology correct or you will be ripped to shreds. You're bigging up your part like our near neighbours do which will go down like a lead balloon on here. Your club is 96 years old, not nearly 100. ;)

Memories of Bourenmouth.
Long winded this... literally.
Memsahibs great aunt Vera ran the Howard Hotel, many years back. She retired to an apartment in Bournemouth. When Vera turned her toes up it was up to ma-in-laws brother to cross i's and dot t's, and in the meantime every bugger had a free holiday in said flat. Nah den. This gaff was full on Barbara Cartland. Pink!
Anyways, this was autumn 1987 and we were due back home on the train the day that big storm which wasn't happening - did.
Train was full of elderly ladies (?) behaving badly, on their way to Harrogate. One of 'em was convinced birds shot as sport had been put on this earth for that exact reason.
"Go and sit in another carriage".said another. " You'll not like being near us". Too right !
A young bloke working on the refreshments bit had a torrid time. Old bags had him fetching and carrying AND THEN PINCHING HIS ARSE WHEN HE GOT BACK !
Uuuuurgh.

More reply’s to my mistake, than all the knowledge I passed on to you ,it was meant to be nearly 100 , footballl league since 1923

Probably because we're not that interested in the knowledge you imparted, but we do love to pick up on a grammatical error.

It's "replies" by the way.

In fact F that, I’ve just re read it and what it meant was over a nearly one hundred year period, just worded very badly

That time that you beat us. I vaguely remember you had a player called Brooks. He was a decent player too. Am I correct or getting confused in my old age?

This season will be our 5th in top flight not 3rd, how many for Donny and Rotherham ? Does that make up for the extra 1000 odd on the highest average attendance, which bearing in mind we could be against yourselves on the first game of the season if we had the capacity.
And all the before 1958 stuff is just nonsense to fit the agenda, the lower leagues were split north and south
Of course we are not a big club but not as small as you made out and we have always been in the league and most certainly have history, Doncaster are just a large non league club to us.

Bournemouth are one of a few clubs that encompasses everything that is wrong with football, by throwing money about that they shouldn't have been and so cheating their way to getting promotion. So whether it is 3 or 5 years and comparing that to Donny and Rotherham is pretty irrelevant, as it should be zero.

Also, Bournemouth's a fucking shithole. I have no idea how it is made out to be this wonderful seaside town

Any team that has reached the Premiership deserves to be there, be a sad day if attendances or past history decides who should play there.

For many football supporters, the statement that, "Any team that has reached the Premiership deserves to be there", might actually be a moot point.

We all know that are a number of clubs in the top flight who, in the course of gaining promotion, have not necessarily abided by the rules that other clubs were playing to and/or who have a history of murky financial manoeuvres and restructurings.

And our first three fixtures are against AFC Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Leicester City...

Well if you come on a forum trying to tell us you are bigger than you actually are then you need to get your terminology correct or you will be ripped to shreds. You're bigging up your part like our near neighbours do which will go down like a lead balloon on here. Your club is 96 years old, not nearly 100. ;)
It was more pointing out we had spent 11 years in the bottom tier rather most of our histo
Bournemouth are one of a few clubs that encompasses everything that is wrong with football, by throwing money about that they shouldn't have been and so cheating their way to getting promotion. So whether it is 3 or 5 years and comparing that to Donny and Rotherham is pretty irrelevant, as it should be zero.

Also, Bournemouth's a fucking shithole. I have no idea how it is made out to be this wonderful seaside town
throwing money about ? We still have players from our league one team now6/7 years later of course we are lucky to have a wealthy owner but so are many clubs..... Bournemouth a shithole we have to at this point say you are taking shite, also we had zero money for the first 90 years of our existence and never left the football league so f@ck Rotherham and donny

That time that you beat us. I vaguely remember you had a player called Brooks. He was a decent player too. Am I correct or getting confused in my old age?
Yes probably Shaun Brooks, son of ex England international Jonny brooks

Bournemouth fan

Good on ya for joining the S2 Brigade.

I recall the season you promoted to the PL, especially the match at Fulham at Craven Cottage,
have to say that was a footballing masterclass.

Anyway, back on to the new season ahead.

We both know and understand that clubs like ours will hardly ever challenge the top six places.
The best we can hope for is some decent results against the top six, pick up points when we both are the underdogs and both clubs make sure that we don't lose to the clubs that'll be in the bottom six/seven. Good runs in both cups, especially if the major teams put out weakened sides, though Manchester City didn't last season.

If you get the chance for a ticket for your visit to BDTBL, enjoy. Hopefully, we can make our home matches as intimidating (on the pitch only) as possible.

Enjoy your football and hopefully, stick around.

Last edited:

and so it begins. welcome back Roy lad :D friday hasn't been the same the last few weeks..

Hey, I've lived here for over 20 years and I love it.

Anyone got a spare ticket.....

Sooner be sat at a bar talking football with a Bournemouth fan than one of those plastic Mancs or insufferable Scousers.

Not sure that I agree about your definition of plastic.
If Liverpool and Man Utd/ City we’re relegated then history shows that the local Mancs and Scousers would still support their team in big numbers.

Where as Bournemouth have an hardcore fanbase of 6 or 7000, who will support them no matter what.
Now they are in the PL, the local younger fans are suddenly interested in football.

Are those “Johnny come latelys” not plastics?
I suppose the test is whether their fanbase would desert them if and when they are relegated. I suspect they would, where as the Scousers and Mancs wouldn’t.

Although it depends on the history of the Bournmouth fan.
If he’s a relative old timer that supported them in league 1 and league 2, then I agree, it would be interesting chatting to them.

The club`s official name used to be " Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic ".
It used to be Boscombe FC. A couple of years after they joined the league they changed it to Bournemouth and Boscombe.

For many football supporters, the statement that, "Any team that has reached the Premiership deserves to be there", might actually be a moot point.

We all know that are a number of clubs in the top flight who, in the course of gaining promotion, have not necessarily abided by the rules that other clubs were playing to and/or who have a history of murky financial manoeuvres and restructurings.

And our first three fixtures are against AFC Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Leicester City...

I'll stick with my opinion there should be a pathway to the top table and it shouldn't be decided by past history or attendances. I'm sure Barnsley, Blackpool, Swansea, Wigan and Wimbledon fans enjoyed their moment in the sun and long may it continue.

Murky financial manoeuvres seems to go hand in hand with the football industry so it's not a great shock.

It's where old people who like the sea but not foreigners go to die.

Might be wrong and can't be arsed to check, but think we've won our last eight matches against them. That still only partially compensates losing to them on the opening day in '87 (?) at home, a real low light at a time there was plenty of competition in that regard. If it was '87-'88, we deserved to be relegated for that game alone.

Here you go:

I'd be surprised if Brooks lines up against us. Surely Man. U. will shift waste-of-space Pogba and get somebody in with genuine talent? Also rumours of Ryan Fraser going to Arsenal for £30m and goalie Mark Travers to Norwich.

Nice one, Roy. Was just wondering if you'd do one like this.

heh.. don't sit on the fence aw :D

It’s in Dorset but used to be in Hampshire I believe and from memory there aren’t many pubs.

If you're going ahead for The Landsdowne . Blades of a certain vintage will remember this place well following a night on the lash there after Portsmouth away last match of the season in 86 .

" and its here I'm off to sunny Spain "

Back
Top Bottom