Roy's View From... Bournemouth Fans Views On The Opening Day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Actually I think the football ground is in Boscombe and not Bournemouth. Might be wrong though.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ted MacDougall, what a goal machine.
Defence will need to be on their toes.

Or should that be Ted MacDougoall?

It's where old people who like the sea but not foreigners go to die.

Might be wrong and can't be arsed to check, but think we've won our last eight matches against them. That still only partially compensates losing to them on the opening day in '87 (?) at home, a real low light at a time there was plenty of competition in that regard. If it was '87-'88, we deserved to be relegated for that game alone.

We've won our last 5 matches there - 1984, 1988, 1990, 2012 and 2013.

Fancy Bournemouth to go down. If it wasn't for their superb start last season they'd be down.

Looking back they won 7 of their last 30 and 4 of those were against Brighton and Huddersfield.

This is what I keep saying when everyone says Bournemouth are a good team as they loiter up Eddie Howe's backside. They're garbage. One of those 7 wins was against a 9 man Tottenham too, and they only just managed it in injury time despite having a whole half with a 2 man advantage.

Bournemouth are traditionally one of the smaller clubs in England having spent almost their whole 89 year history in the bottom tier or division 3.
There highest ever average attendance was 16,000 just have the war (the boom time of football)
Whereas United have spent most of their history in the top flight.
Even in league 1 recently we always had much higher than 16K.

Think the comparisons are fair because AFB really are a minnow, traditionally much smaller than a Rotherham or a Doncaster.
Bournemouth have only averaged over 10K on 18 occasions in their history.
Whereas both Rotherham and Doncaster have averaged over 10,000 during 22 seasons.
Ay up northerners, We have over nearly 100 years of league football spent 11 years I believe in the 4th tier ,a similar number that you have spent in the 3rd tier, our highest attendance was actually nearly 17,000 and we have never been relegated out of the football league unlike those Yorkshire minnows you mentioned. Look forward to a good match

Ay up northerners, We have over nearly 100 years of league football spent 11 years I believe in the 4th tier ,a similar number that you have spent in the 3rd tier, our highest attendance was actually nearly 17,000 and we have never been relegated out of the football league unlike those Yorkshire minnows you mentioned. Look forward to a good match

Agree you’ve only spent 11 seasons in the 4th division but before 1958 the bottom tier was division 3, where you spent 28 seasons before 1958.

Put it this way, you’ve completed 3 season in the top flight and only 5 seasons in the 2nd tier.
Virtually your entire history has been spent in the bottom 2 divisions, so of course you have no tradition for decent quality football.

Both Rotherham and Donny are historically definitely bigger than AFC Bournemouth.
Regards the 2nd tier. Rotherham have spent 30 seasons in it Donny have spent 19 seasons in it, compared to Bournmouths 5 seasons.
Regards attendances Rotherham’s highest ever average attendance was 18,770, Doncaster’s is 22,838 and Bournemouth’s is 16,854.
Rotherham have broke the 15K average attendance barrier 3 times in their history, Doncaster have done it 7 times and Bournemouth have done it 2 times.

Don’t wish ti sound patronising but credit to AFB, they are an inspiration to small clubs and show what can be achieved.
Bournemouth could do with gettting a new/ bigger ground, continue the good work done so far and then they might establish themselves properly in the PL.
Would be interesting to see if Bournemouth’s hardcore support has increased or if you go into the Championship then would many stop going?

Last edited:
Agree you’ve only spent 11 seasons in the 4th division but before 1958 the bottom tier was division 3, where you spent 28 seasons before 1958.

Put it this way, you’ve completed 3 season in the top flight and only 5 seasons in the 2nd tier.
Virtually your entire history has been spent in the bottom 2 divisions, so of course you have no tradition for decent quality football.

Both Rotherham and Donny are historically definitely bigger than AFC Bournemouth.
Regards the 2nd tier. Rotherham have spent 30 seasons in it Donny have spent 19 seasons in it, compared to Bournmouths 5 seasons.
Regards attendances Rotherham’s highest ever average attendance was 18,770, Doncaster’s is 22,838 and Bournemouth’s is 16,854.

Bournemouth need to get a new ground, continue the good work done so far and then they might establish themselves properly in the PL.
This season will be our 5th in top flight not 3rd, how many for Donny and Rotherham ? Does that make up for the extra 1000 odd on the highest average attendance, which bearing in mind we could be against yourselves on the first game of the season if we had the capacity.
And all the before 1958 stuff is just nonsense to fit the agenda, the lower leagues were split north and south
Of course we are not a big club but not as small as you made out and we have always been in the league and most certainly have history, Doncaster are just a large non league club to us.

When you come on a forum quoting facts and figures, remember over and nearly are not the same thing ;)
Edit. Just seen FFs comments on the same thing.

Last edited:
More reply’s to my mistake, than all the knowledge I passed on to you ,it was meant to be nearly 100 , footballl league since 1923

In fact F that, I’ve just re read it and what it meant was over a nearly one hundred year period, just worded very badly

Back
Top Bottom