CONFIRMED Slaviša Jokanović

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Whoever is appointed could be a risk however I would prefer someone tried and tested and I believe Slav is that man .

Equally we could strike gold with Blessin, but to me it’s more of a risk . It may be someone else completely.

Whoever it is will get my full support , a big task awaits them .

UTB

Does it not concern you that he’s managing in the arse end of nowhere and despite him being a promotion expert no one has been interested, and seemingly still aren’t?
Given the money he wants it could be a very costly and expensive misstep if you plump for him and he is a busted flush.
Brian Robson cost us a bomb and could have took us into the 1st division which of course happened a few years later.

Does it not concern you that he’s managing in the arse end of nowhere and despite him being a promotion expert no one has been interested, and seemingly still aren’t?
Given the money he wants it could be a very costly and expensive misstep if you plump for him and he is a busted flush.
apart from howe hes the outstanding candidate for the job bob nobody on our alleged list comes close to jokanovic

apart from howe hes the outstanding candidate for the job bob nobody on our alleged list comes close to jokanovic
He ain’t on the list 🤷‍♂️ and hes not particularly outstanding. As I said he’s been in the back of nowhere for a couple of seasons and no one cares despite many well funded Championship sides looking for a coach. He’s a risk, a very expensive one and he’s clearly using us to drum up interest.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t be looking at him, just that he’s not close to being a guaranteed answer, the only guarantee is he’s more expensive than everyone else.

He ain’t on the list 🤷‍♂️ and hes not particularly outstanding. As I said he’s been in the back of nowhere for a couple of seasons and no one cares despite many well funded Championship sides looking for a coach. He’s a risk, a very expensive one.
didnt say he was on our list just said hes better than owt weve allegedly got on the list like appleton and robinson hes taken 2 teams up from the championship to the premier league what dont you like about that cv ?

didnt say he was on our list just said hes better than owt weve allegedly got on the list like appleton and robinson hes taken 2 teams up from the championship to the premier league what dont you like about that cv ?
Not heard Appleton or Robinson by any decent source tbh.
I don’t like that his representatives put out that he’s interested so long as we make him the highest paid manager in the league.
He didn’t apply, which suggests he’s using us as a stalking horse rather than being genuinely interested and he’s a short term option.
He comes in, spends a lot and if it doesn’t work out we’re in a mess, plus as I’ve said he’s had his success and ended up with no interest from any major league. Why, and why doesn’t he stay anywhere very long?
Robson proved throwing money at it and appointing the big name means very little.

I don’t like that his representatives put out that he’s interested so long as we make him the highest paid manager in the league.
He didn’t apply, which suggests he’s using us as a stalking horse rather than being genuinely interested and he’s a short term option.
He comes in, spends a lot and if it doesn’t work out we’re in a mess, plus as I’ve said he’s had his success and ended up with no interest from any major league. Why, and why doesn’t he stay anywhere very long?
Robson proved throwing money at it and appointing the big name means very little.

How many coaches/managers that are currently in employment do you think formally applied FB?

Apologies if you've said previously and I've missed it but out of interest, who would you like to see be appointed?

Apparently unlikely to be on our list as he wants too much control of the club and won’t fit Prince / Van Winkel’s new model wanting more control of signings / football operations.

Sounds a bit like we’ll be getting a patsy lined up, hope we don’t go down this route of board overstepping the boundaries. Boards motivations on this appointment should be solely outcome focussed - appoint the manager who maximises our chances of getting up, not just picking the manager who fits how they want to operate.

know it doesnt mean much but think shields said in the star that appleton and robinson were on the list understand what your saying about jokanovic but he does look the best candidate imo eddie howe would have been my first choice and think it might have been the boards as well but looks like that ship has sailed

How many coaches/managers that are currently in employment do you think formally applied FB?

Apologies if you've said previously and I've missed it but out of interest, who would you like to see be appointed?
I think it's a big of a Hobsons choice to be honest.
Jokanovic is the expensive, short term choice and for that reason it makes me nervous. He's presented as if he's somehow guaranteed to get us up and I'm not buying that.
He plays good football, but has always had significant investment, more than we've ever put in at Championship level, which to be fair we should have with the parachute payments, but it's a one shot deal and I don't like short term planning with high risk. I also don't like how he's using us to sound out other moves. He he wanted to join us he could have made noises to our board but he wants the noise which means it's not about the role, and that makes me think he'd be off if another, better offer comes in.

Blessin's lack of experience and proven background is obviously a huge concern. He's clearly a talented progressive coach and a pragmatic guy who can get the best out of limited resources particularly in looking to the youth players and giving them a structure which they understand and can develop within. That appeals to me given Wilder's structure which was very fixed so our experienced players should be OK within that, and we have some promising youngsters although not quite as many are ready as some fans seem to think. He won't be as expensive, he's more long term thinking as an approach and it certainly means we have a plan for the next 3-5 years which makes me feel better if we don't manage to secure promotion within the next 2 seasons which is huge concern. But there's no getting away from the fact that he's totally unproven at this level so while expense maybe limited by this option, the risk of it not working out is obviously higher. Plus there's the work permit, which I'm not going through again but the odd are against him getting one for next season.

Eddie Howe for me walks the line between the two. He's an excellent coach which is proven over several seasons at the top level. He's made missteps in his signings while at Bournemouth but despite the chequebook accusations that get thrown at him, the side he built was hugely impressive and the wages wouldn't have been excessive if the club hadn't been so tiny. If he had been at one of the traditional Championship big boys no one would have battered an eye lid, but because Bournemouth only have a limited number of fans and therefore massively reduced revenues their wages to turnover was just daft. He plays good attractive football, is interested in playing and developing young players and is progressive in his coaching methods. He's a very solid choice, which may not pay off quite as well as the others with the benefit of hindsight, but the risk is massively reduced. Something is clearly going on with Celtic, and he's not signed so I still think there is a possibility here if we want to get him.

Out the three, I think Eddie Howe probably would be my favourite but its maybe dead and there is something about what Blessin has done and the way he plays which certainly get's me interested to hear more. The big factor for any appointment for me would be what their vision is for our future and to hear that you need to be in the room so I guess we just have to wait and see who they talk to and who impresses.

Jokanovic is the expensive, short term choice and for that reason it makes me nervous. He's presented as if he's somehow guaranteed to get us up and I'm not buying that.
He plays good football, but has always had significant investment, more than we've ever put in at Championship level, which to be fair we should have with the parachute payments, but it's a one shot deal and I don't like short term planning with high risk. I also don't like how he's using us to sound out other moves. He he wanted to join us he could have made noises to our board but he wants the noise which means it's not about the role, and that makes me think he'd be off if another, better offer comes in.

Blessin's lack of experience and proven background is obviously a huge concern. He's clearly a talented progressive coach and a pragmatic guy who can get the best out of limited resources particularly in looking to the youth players and giving them a structure which they understand and can develop within. That appeals to me given Wilder's structure which was very fixed so our experienced players should be OK within that, and we have some promising youngsters although not quite as many are ready as some fans seem to think. He won't be as expensive, he's more long term thinking as an approach and it certainly means we have a plan for the next 3-5 years which makes me feel better if we don't manage to secure promotion within the next 2 seasons which is huge concern. But there's no getting away from the fact that he's totally unproven at this level so while expense maybe limited by this option, the risk of it not working out is obviously higher. Plus there's the work permit, which I'm not going through again but the odd are against him getting one for next season.

Eddie Howe for me walks the line between the two. He's an excellent coach which is proven over several seasons at the top level. He's made missteps in his signings while at Bournemouth but despite the chequebook accusations that get thrown at him, the side he built was hugely impressive and the wages wouldn't have been excessive if the club hadn't been so tiny. If he had been at one of the traditional Championship big boys no one would have battered an eye lid, but because Bournemouth only have a limited number of fans and therefore massively reduced revenues their wages to turnover was just daft. He plays good attractive football, is interested in playing and developing young players and is progressive in his coaching methods. He's a very solid choice, which may not pay off quite as well as the others with the benefit of hindsight, but the risk is massively reduced. Something is clearly going on with Celtic, and he's not signed so I still think there is a possibility here if we want to get him.

Out the three, I think Eddie Howe probably would be my favourite but its maybe dead and there is something about what Blessin has done and the way he plays which certainly get's me interested to hear more. The big factor for any appointment for me would be what their vision is for our future and to hear that you need to be in the room so I guess we just have to wait and see who they talk to and who impresses.

A fair summary FB. Can't say I'm overly excited by any of the apparent front runners but I'd probably plump for Jokanovic out of the three. He may well be a short(ish) term appointment but that ok with me - the club have tried and failed to implement longer term solutions with Clough and Wilder and neither have lasted the course.

My bigger concern however is that state of the squad - the damage this season will have done to some, how many assets will leave over summer, the level of resources that will be made available to replace them, the huge gaps (numbers and quality) at LCB, CM, RCM, CAM and CF, the lack of flexibility to play anything other than 3-5-2, the reliance on and readiness of the youths coming through etc. etc.

My other concern is the expectations of the supporters, especially if people are allowed back in the grounds. I suspect the atmosphere will quickly turn toxic is Utd get off to a slow start.

Apparently unlikely to be on our list as he wants too much control of the club and won’t fit Prince / Van Winkel’s new model wanting more control of signings / football operations.

Sounds a bit like we’ll be getting a patsy lined up, hope we don’t go down this route of board overstepping the boundaries. Boards motivations on this appointment should be solely outcome focussed - appoint the manager who maximises our chances of getting up, not just picking the manager who fits how they want to operate.
Source?

Although Robinson and Appleton have been mentioned in the media, the only manager/head coah we've spoken to that's been confirmed in the media (which is all we've got to go on) is Blessin, but we've not yet spoken to the club according to the latest reports which were over a week ago in respect to Oostende. There must be other names on the list and I would imagine that they'll be more names from abroad. I've mentioned Wagner a few times as a possibility, but maybe they'll be more left field names from Belgium etc. Seem to recall the OH Leivren manager Marc Brys has also had a mention in the Star.

If we do want anyone currently in work in the UK then we'll hav to wait to Mid May or even later if the manager is involved in the play offs, assuming that said manager would only be released by his club after the season. Although it's been reported that we could wait till the summer it would surely make sense to have an appointment ASAP, at least unoffiially, and this gives an advantage possibly to managers currently out of work or at clubs from leagues where their season ends sooner than ours, i.e Belgium! I may be totally wrong here, just guessing re timescale. I wouldn't imagine that the board wuld want to see us finish the season as we are now either as a rudderless ship. It doesn't give confidence for next season or inspire fans to want to buy season tickets etc, and surely our current form and performances can't help with recruitment conversations either, although on the flip side recruiting a new manager before the end of the season may not be preferable if we lose with new manager and there is no improvement.

The one thing we don't know, in all of this, is which managers have proactively contacted SUFC about the vacant position?

The Premier League is the number one club league in the world, and I would imagine a lot of football club managers, from all over the place, keep up to date with what is going on.

A strong Championship side (as evidenced by promotion), the makings of a decent team despite relegation, parachute payments, etc. , that could appeal to quite a few managers, and maybe some decent left-field ones that we hadn't even considered.

Annoyance at club for letting Wilder go?
That’s what I’m trying to get at Harris, is this genuine info or just more pointless bile directed at the board with no basis in fact.
We all like a good ITK but I’m a bit fed up of shit being posted just because people are pissed off about Wilder. I’m sad he’s gone but the fact is he has and whether we like it or not we’re getting a new bloke so I’d like to discuss that as sensibly as possible. Probably in the wrong place for that

Jokanovic? He was effectively head coach at Watford and I thought it was similar at Fulham. He may be pissed off with how Fulham did it because they brought in players he apparently didn’t want (which he blamed for his subsequent sacking) but I didn’t perceive him to be an old school “I run everything” type manager.

He ain’t on the list 🤷‍♂️ and hes not particularly outstanding. As I said he’s been in the back of nowhere for a couple of seasons and no one cares despite many well funded Championship sides looking for a coach. He’s a risk, a very expensive one and he’s clearly using us to drum up interest.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t be looking at him, just that he’s not close to being a guaranteed answer, the only guarantee is he’s more expensive than everyone else.
I do keep thinking “Pelegrini”

Although Robinson and Appleton have been mentioned in the media, the only manager/head coah we've spoken to that's been confirmed in the media (which is all we've got to go on) is Blessin, but we've not yet spoken to the club according to the latest reports which were over a week ago in respect to Oostende. There must be other names on the list and I would imagine that they'll be more names from abroad. I've mentioned Wagner a few times as a possibility, but maybe they'll be more left field names from Belgium etc. Seem to recall the OH Leivren manager Marc Brys has also had a mention in the Star.

If we do want anyone currently in work in the UK then we'll hav to wait to Mid May or even later if the manager is involved in the play offs, assuming that said manager would only be released by his club after the season. Although it's been reported that we could wait till the summer it would surely make sense to have an appointment ASAP, at least unoffiially, and this gives an advantage possibly to managers currently out of work or at clubs from leagues where their season ends sooner than ours, i.e Belgium! I may be totally wrong here, just guessing re timescale. I wouldn't imagine that the board wuld want to see us finish the season as we are now either as a rudderless ship. It doesn't give confidence for next season or inspire fans to want to buy season tickets etc, and surely our current form and performances can't help with recruitment conversations either, although on the flip side recruiting a new manager before the end of the season may not be preferable if we lose with new manager and there is no improvement.

The sequence of events you state wrt Blessin can't be correct B4. Due diligence including engaging intermediaries can and may have taken place but the club can't speak to the contracted individual without the agreement of the club. I'm sure that it does indeed happen practice but the club would be running a risk by doing so

The sequence of events you state wrt Blessin can't be correct B4. Due diligence including engaging intermediaries can and may have taken place but the club can't speak to the contracted individual without the agreement of the club. I'm sure that it does indeed happen practice but the club would be running a risk by doing so
I'm certain the "we're interested, are you?" conversations happen way before we go out and tip off the club and for their part, I'm sure they're expecting an approach this summer so are ready for it anyway. They just won't want it to derail their season by causing distraction amongst the players.

I think the usual work round is to have an informal chat with his agent.

It certainly feels that its between these three managers, and to be honest Id be happy with any of them, just dont want the John Terrys of this world anywhere near this club.

One point that Ill raise, Vision....its ok having a vision and even a plan to get you from mission to vision, but how many managers get the time (especially if results aren't going for them) to implement the plan and achieve their vision.

I'm certain the "we're interested, are you?" conversations happen way before we go out and tip off the club and for their part, I'm sure they're expecting an approach this summer so are ready for it anyway. They just won't want it to derail their season by causing distraction amongst the players.

I think the usual work round is to have an informal chat with his agent.

Of course - I appreciate the deal is usually done by the time formal talks take place.

It certainly feels that its between these three managers, and to be honest Id be happy with any of them, just dont want the John Terrys of this world anywhere near this club.

One point that Ill raise, Vision....its ok having a vision and even a plan to get you from mission to vision, but how many managers get the time (especially if results aren't going for them) to implement the plan and achieve their vision.
A fair point, but it's always advisable to ensure you and the employer are aligned with regards to these expectations. If what you are agreeing to deliver is going to take 3-4 years there's no point the club expecting it in Y1.
I'd just be interested in seeing how they see the club developing to confirm they understand that element, rather than they see us getting promoted and they don't need to plan for our first season back because the increase in profile helps them move elsewhere should it go tits up.

A fair point, but it's always advisable to ensure you and the employer are aligned with regards to these expectations. If what you are agreeing to deliver is going to take 3-4 years there's no point the club expecting it in Y1.
I'd just be interested in seeing how they see the club developing to confirm they understand that element, rather than they see us getting promoted and they don't need to plan for our first season back because the increase in profile helps them move elsewhere should it go tits up.
Wasn’t that, essentially, the reason Wilder left? Whatever has been said about DoFs or not DoFs, I thought the club wanted to take more control over the long term planning with a de facto DoF overseeing youth development and recruitment and the first team manager being a “head coach”. Then, if a manager does leave, he can be replaced without affecting the overall “ethos” of the club. Old school managers tend not to be interested in five year plans as they don’t expect to be around to benefit from them.

For playing style I’d have Jokanovic over Blessin every day of the week. The latter is a touch more utilitarian (!) if he follows the Barnsley model of press and hoof.

For playing style I’d have Jokanovic over Blessin every day of the week. The latter is a touch more utilitarian (!) if he follows the Barnsley model of press and hoof.
He doesn't though does he?
The press is much harder than Barnsley tend to use, so he looks to turn over possession in the final third. Barnsley look to turnover possession and then transition as quickly as possible from back to front. It's incredibly direct, and likely to be found out I'd suggest next season and effectively countered.
Blessin is more a fast transition through the midfield, not over it, with them supporting the second ball or second phase as Barnsley play.
It looks (on the admittedly limited views I've seen) similar to how Wilder had us playing at our best, looking to move the ball quickly through midfield, using fullbacks outwide to create space and extra players available to deliver the ball into the box. .
While I doubt we keep him, and at risk of crossing several different threads but Berge could be perfect for a Blessin side if the other midfielders we build around his transitioning strengths.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom