Unbelievable VAR For Corners and Free kicks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

"This VAR check is brought to you by Stubhub, where getting ripped off for tickets has never been easier..." 🤣🤣

I think that VAR was brought in to enhance the armchair fans view of the game. They might have announced it as a way of sorting human errors but christ we managed for 150 years without it. Its not our game anymore and by that I mean the fans who turn up on matchday. We don't talk about an exciting game now its all " did you see that var fuck up last night/week etc etc. I blame sky and the way it's ruined our game. Clubs like Everton Man City etc cheating to gain an advantage to keep the millions rolling in....rant over

Limited VAR appeals like in Tennis. Cut out all the shit.
This is surely the way to go. Something along the lines of 1 appeal each team per half, captain has 15(?) seconds to request review, if it is upheld, team still has their appeal left. Use VAR retrospectively to determine any further red cards that need issuing (dangerous tackles, diving, etc), with automatic 3(?) match bans. Perhaps any appeal deemed frivolous (last 10 minutes of a game, perhaps) could result in a post-match yellow card for the captain. The aim should be to reduce to a minimum the interruptions to the game, and at the same time using after the match scrutiny to improve discipline/punish cheating, etc.

I think that VAR was brought in to enhance the armchair fans view of the game. They might have announced it as a way of sorting human errors but christ we managed for 150 years without it. Its not our game anymore and by that I mean the fans who turn up on matchday. We don't talk about an exciting game now its all " did you see that var fuck up last night/week etc etc. I blame sky and the way it's ruined our game. Clubs like Everton Man City etc cheating to gain an advantage to keep the millions rolling in....rant over
To be fair to the authorities, until recently we all had our views on refereeing decisions, but had no idea who was right or wrong. I think if we are honest, we regularly see things in a match one way, then get home and watch the highlights and realise we were wrong. So it is tempting to reduce the errors that all of us, including referees, make in real time. The trouble is, VAR wastes time, destroys spontaneity, and creates a false impression that all rules in football are legally watertight- they are not. There is a great deal of subjectivity, and in many cases (deliberate, interfering with play, unnatural position of arms, etc) there is no objectively correct decision, just opinions. You could give a panel a week to make some decisions, and they would not all agree. We all need to accept the limitations of technology.

I still don't get how after 5 years VAR is so unreliable and poor. Ice Hockey and Rugby have it down to a tee, and the referees communicate with the crowd to explain the decisions.

Personally I think VAR shouldn't review the incident. They should watch the game and if they spot what they think is a glaring error then they should alert the referee. The referee then views the pitchside monitor for no more than 60 seconds and makes the decision themselves. Then they communicate this to the fans and the players.

It would stop this microscopic analysis that takes an age to determine the most minut error in place of clear and obvious errors. It also helps the referee more and gives them back control of decisions and the match, which they are supposed to be in charge of, but are currently being made into partially involved spectators.

Using it for throw ins and corners will only slow down the game and extend them way beyond the current 113 minutes that we're often seeing.

Same with this ridiculous added on time. Just do what American Sports do. Stop the clock everytime the referee blows for a foul, throw in, corner etc and restart it when the ball comes back into play. Give players a time limit to take said goal kick, throw in, corner to stop deliberate time waisting. There will be no added time. When the clock says 45 minutes and 90 minutes the referee ends the half/match.

For everyone because it’s in the back of the mind

I do not let the possibility of a VAR check temper a celebration, the same way I did not let the possibility of the linesman out of my field of view having his flag up temper a celebration ten years ago. If you're the sort of person that requires permission from someone to celebrate, chant, whatever, then that's on you.

I do not let the possibility of a VAR check temper a celebration, the same way I did not let the possibility of the linesman out of my field of view having his flag up temper a celebration ten years ago. If you're the sort of person that requires permission from someone to celebrate, chant, whatever, then that's on you.
I still celebrate in fact I go beserk BUT it’s always in the back of my mind as it is with almost everyone …except you 😂

I'd be interested to see the data though on goals scored from corners and free kicks that weren't actually corners or free kicks.

VAR should be allowed to rewind and say - "actually that shouldn't have been a corner in the first place"
No it shouldn’t. Var is slowly killing football. There is no advantage to having it. To keep var is madness. To extend its use is even crazier.

Back
Top Bottom