Unbelievable VAR For Corners and Free kicks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd be interested to see the data though on goals scored from corners and free kicks that weren't actually corners or free kicks.

VAR should be allowed to rewind and say - "actually that shouldn't have been a corner in the first place"

I'd be interested to see the data though on goals scored from corners and free kicks that weren't actually corners or free kicks.

VAR should be allowed to rewind and say - "actually that shouldn't have been a corner in the first place"
If they can do it in 10 seconds max.

How long does it actually take to watch the replay and determine if it’s a corner or a goal kick? It can easily be done before the kick is taken.

If they’re going to have someone watching the replays and letting the ref know quickly, then I don’t see why anyone would have a problem.

The game isn’t slow because of refs or var, it’s players pissing about and slowing down the game.

How long does it actually take to watch the replay and determine if it’s a corner or a goal kick? It can easily be done before the kick is taken.

If they’re going to have someone watching the replays and letting the ref know quickly, then I don’t see why anyone would have a problem.

The game isn’t slow because of refs or var, it’s players pissing about and slowing down the game.
It won’t be done right we all know that and that’s why it shouldn’t happen. Our officials couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery

Agreed, as long as this sort of decision is taken within a couple of seconds and is relayed to the on pitch referee as an order (so no debating it). While we're at it I'd pay whatever it takes to get the World Cup-style semi-automated VAR thus removing the need to draw lines on a freeze frame and also play the decisions on the big screens as they do with rugby, with a clear edict that any player within 10 metres of the referee and assistants at that point gets a yellow card.

What about the goals that could have been scored from corners and free kicks that weren’t given? As long as it’s a roughly equal split, there’s no benefit to checking every decision. It would ruin a game that they’re already doing a good job of ruining.

I’d agree with you unfortunately it won’t happen as they’ve invested far too much money and have far too much arrogance to now scrap it

In a sense it could work as no different from an assistant referee having the bollocks to flag and overrule the referees initial thought. It would need someone watching the game live with several angles and a direct mic link to the referee. It could be even referee saying via mic, "i think corner confirm that for me" they respond back, be done in seconds but if its going to the big screen or the referee having to run to a TV monitor on halfway no point for me!

Here's a question: was football any less exciting to watch before VAR? Were we arguing about decisions more?

I just don't get how VAR has made the sport better. Talking about bringing in even more makes me retch.

In a sense it could work as no different from an assistant referee having the bollocks to flag and overrule the referees initial thought. It would need someone watching the game live with several angles and a direct mic link to the referee. It could be even referee saying via mic, "i think corner confirm that for me" they respond back, be done in seconds but if its going to the big screen or the referee having to run to a TV monitor on halfway no point for me!

It’s no different to watching a match on TV, the TV audience has seen a replay and knows that the decision given by the ref is wrong before the match has restarted.

It should be really easy to have someone watching the game and instantly tell the ref he needs to change a corner or goal kick decision before play has restarted.

Here's a question: was football any less exciting to watch before VAR? Were we arguing about decisions more?

I just don't get how VAR has made the sport better. Talking about bringing in even more makes me retch.
It hasn’t has it. I am totally in favour of goaline technology (yes I know!) but the rest of it just seems to drain the excitement from games. Feels like it’s totally for the benefit of TV and to me has actually undermined officials rather than support them.

More nonsense to fix a problem that doesn't need fixing. Who on earth thinks that the game needs interrupting for more delays? Especially for meaningless throw ins near the half way line. VAR checks were originally meant to take 20 seconds, but we now have to wait to celebrate a goal until we can be sure that someone's eyebrow was not offside two minutes earlier.

It’s took the intense celebration of a goal away always a thought in back of head VAR

It hasn’t has it. I am totally in favour of goaline technology (yes I know!) but the rest of it just seems to drain the excitement from games. Feels like it’s totally for the benefit of TV and to me has actually undermined officials rather than support them.
The thing about goal-line technology is that it's almost as quick as a referee in real-time and it's incredibly accurate. Typical of us to get the one day it went wrong but out of thousands of games I think there's only been a couple of incidents of it failing like that.

If VAR were like that I'd be all for it. Instead a lot of it's long breaks to get decisions that are no clearer after ten viewings. I don't feel like I even understand the game any more when it comes to the ridiculous handball changes.

I like football better when I can celebrate when a goal hits the back of the net and the linesman's flag has stayed down. I'll take a few bad decisions for that.

When the ball hits the net I'm instantly thinking of reasons why it might be ruled out instead of just enjoying it.
Exactly mate …in the past we just quickly glanced at the lino and carried on intensely celebrating but now VAR and everything that brings takes the edge off

I saw the VAR decisions last night at Fulham, look at it a hundred times and still get it wrong. Get it scrapped, Wolves must be thinking they've killed a nest full or robins with all the wrong outcomes they've had. Makes a change from us though.

Back
Top Bottom