2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Middlesbrough - 15th February 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
MIDD
MIDD
MIDD
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
middlesbrough.gif

Championship Week 31 - Wednesday 15th February 2023 - 20:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-middlesbrough.636/

Officials:

Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Matthew Wilkes
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
Fourth Official: Darren Bond

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 00.18.51.png

No not for us 19 over the same period that's my point. Two weeks ago they were beating Watford while we were in the FA Cup but the 3 points weren't dropped that weekend, they're yet to be decided (v Reading).
The point is last 20 games is everbody's last 20 games. They have 3 more points then us in the last 20 games we have both played.

So long as we win 1-0 , and I don't get asked to show my kop season-ticket card more than twice, I'll be a very happy bunny on Wednesday night :) ...
Just show them your card when asked and enjoy the match ffs……it’s all about the bigger picture on the kop. Not your fault but too many brainless cunts thinking they can do what they want and sit/stand where they want and fuck everyone else and the consequences. We need the kop full and loud again

Just show them your card when asked and enjoy the match ffs……it’s all about the bigger picture on the kop. Not your fault but too many brainless cunts thinking they can do what they want and sit/stand where they want and fuck everyone else and the consequences. We need the kop full and loud again
I'm being ironic Minty ... . And yes, here's to a full and loud kop!

My old Dad always used to go on about beating Cardiff under lights when it looked like they may catch us in the 1971 promotion season we blew them away.. best night he ever had at the Lane he said.

It was before my time so I would love to experience something similar in midweek.

Still is the best game I have ever watched at the Lane. Brilliant atmosphere and a 5-1 win. The 1970/71 team was the best Blades team I have ever seen.

couldnt even get on the kop properly that night with such big queues outside we ended up on the gangway steps every gangway was full top to bottom the shoreham was that rammed that night

the pressure is only on if we lose, because they will have the physcological advantage, but there is season is almost over barring a spectular collapse if we did win the game in hand going 16 pts ahead, but i find it interesting that at this very point bournemouth were 5pts clear with a game in hand & got promotion by 6pts despite only winning 5 of next 13

worth noting that we wouldve been 5th not 8th this season on the same total

temp 1.png

temp 2.png

If our players can’t get up for this match And they will !!! Then we can forget it .
They win this and it’s a massive hurdle to the prem , they must all want to be prem players and have the prestige that goes with that . They have worked so hard to get we’re they are right now , fucking play them off the park United , well capable of doing it , come on Blades ⚔️⚔️⚔️

Read their forum honestly they are deluded so much we are a fortress at the lane they might be in form but they lost at Sunderland honestly I see a comfortable win I saw united so professional on Saturday

Not taking anything for granted but Millwall represent a bigger threat than Boro. Carrick has done very well, but he’s still new at this game.
Blades squad depth can win this if used well!

……We all accept Boro have been in incredible run of form.
In their last 16 league matches they have won 11 drawn 2 lost 3 = 35 points……..

Aye
And in our last 16 league matches we’ve won 12 drawn 3 lost 1 = 39 points

So, why can’t (some) folk on here accept our “form” (results) are better than “incredible” ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

NB - rhetorical question - to avoid / prevent the stock ‘but it’s the Sheffield United way….’ answers

My old Dad always used to go on about beating Cardiff under lights when it looked like they may catch us in the 1971 promotion season we blew them away.. best night he ever had at the Lane he said.

It was before my time so I would love to experience something similar in midweek.
Your dad hit the nail good and proper on the head. Thinking of that night still meks the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.1970-71 April 27 H W 5-1 V  Cardiff City Dearden-2 Flynn Currie Reece.jpg

My only worry is us giving away a sloppy goal. If we keep switched on and don’t do anything daft, we’ll win.

Even if we lose, we’re still a way in front. They’re not going to keep winning every game almost, until the end of the season.

Good thing for me is that despite the poor luck with injuries, we're most likely tackling this week with our best XI.

Only exception perhaps is that you might be putting in Norrington-Davies in at LCB or LWB but even then, both JLT and Lowe have been on very good form and even if RND and Clark were fit, it would be a difficult case to drop Robbo or Max.

Boro got the win but they were efficient rather than dominant. Cardiff had 15 shots to Boro's 10. They had 4 on target to Boro's 3 (all of which went in). They had 7 corners to 4. I read the xG was 1.89 to 1.93 on one site and 1.64 to 1.39 on another. Cant say they deserved more than a draw with those figures. Ours vs Swansea was 2.09 vs 0.67.

Boro play a game with those stats over and over and they'll lose more than they win. Play like that against us and they go home empty handed.

Looked at one of their forums, arnt they hilarious?
Screenshot_20230213-072800~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213-072745~2.png
    Screenshot_20230213-072745~2.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 58

BBC football reporting up to its usual high standard of disrespect to us. This in the the report of boros last win at cardiff

They will travel to Bramall Lane for their next league game on Wednesday 10 points behind the Blades, but with a game in hand.
unquote

the phrase useless tw*ts comes to mind.

Realistically I can see us losing the next 3 games all against play-off placed clubs. That would wipe out our points and most if not all of our goal difference. We might get a few points from the next two games after being humiliated by Spurs youth team 0-8 then be demolished by the unstoppable Luton.

I might sound a tad negative but this is how it always plays out in my head, I think it’s called blocking the fear reality.

The one teams form I keep checking is Birmingham cause you can bet your bottom english pound coin that we will need a win from the last game of the season to stave off relegation and swapping places with the pork.

Bring it on. We will do to them what we did to Burnley. With this group of players we don’t need to fear anyone COYRAWW

Realistically I can see us losing the next 3 games all against play-off placed clubs. That would wipe out our points and most if not all of our goal difference.
It would only wipe out our points if boro won all of their games.

Middlesboro have yet to play West Brom, Luton, Bristol City and Rotherham away ,none easy. They also have to play Norwich and Burnley at home. They have plenty of opportunity to drop points !

the pressure is only on if we lose, because they will have the physcological advantage, but there is season is almost over barring a spectular collapse if we did win the game in hand going 16 pts ahead, but i find it interesting that at this very point bournemouth were 5pts clear with a game in hand & got promotion by 6pts despite only winning 5 of next 13

worth noting that we wouldve been 5th not 8th this season on the same total

View attachment 153746

View attachment 153747
We would have been 6th on goal difference actually

Good thing for me is that despite the poor luck with injuries, we're most likely tackling this week with our best XI.

Only exception perhaps is that you might be putting in Norrington-Davies in at LCB or LWB but even then, both JLT and Lowe have been on very good form and even if RND and Clark were fit, it would be a difficult case to drop Robbo or Max.

Boro got the win but they were efficient rather than dominant. Cardiff had 15 shots to Boro's 10. They had 4 on target to Boro's 3 (all of which went in). They had 7 corners to 4. I read the xG was 1.89 to 1.93 on one site and 1.64 to 1.39 on another. Cant say they deserved more than a draw with those figures. Ours vs Swansea was 2.09 vs 0.67.

Boro play a game with those stats over and over and they'll lose more than they win. Play like that against us and they go home empty handed.
Watched the highlights of their game with Cardiff. Absolutely hammered them. Hit the post twice as well as the 3 goals. Commentator was drooling over their fantastic football. However they did look prone to error at the back.

2 kind of thoughts are going through my mind on this one.

1: We only need a draw however Boro need to win.
You see it so often that in this scenario, the team needing to draw start slowly, cagey like playing with a "try to defend a lead" mentality.
Whereas the team needing to win are mentally focussed to be really positive playing with quick tempo.
You only need to think back to the 2nd leg against Forest in the semi final playoff-off.
At the City Ground we had no choice but to attack where as Forest knew they only needed to draw to reach Wembley.

2: However we always seem to beat Middlesboro at the Lane, their fas must be thinking "not another defeat at Bramall Lane".
Since 1990 we've played Boro 10 times in the league.
Our record in those 10 home matches is WON 8 DRAWN 1 LOST 1

Last edited:

Watched the highlights of their game with Cardiff. Absolutely hammered them. Hit the post twice as well as the 3 goals. Commentator was drooling over their fantastic football. However they did look prone to error at the back.
On the EFL highlights it was referred to as " Boroball" 🙄

Back
Top Bottom