2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Middlesbrough - 15th February 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
MIDD
MIDD
MIDD
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
middlesbrough.gif

Championship Week 31 - Wednesday 15th February 2023 - 20:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-middlesbrough.636/

Officials:

Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Matthew Wilkes
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
Fourth Official: Darren Bond

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 00.18.51.png

Watched the highlights of their game with Cardiff. Absolutely hammered them. Hit the post twice as well as the 3 goals. Commentator was drooling over their fantastic football. However they did look prone to error at the back.
By all accounts Boro could have had 5 or 6. Bit like we could have against the swans. Interesting match against 2 inform teams.

Watched the highlights of their game with Cardiff. Absolutely hammered them. Hit the post twice as well as the 3 goals. Commentator was drooling over their fantastic football. However they did look prone to error at the back.

I've read the Boro match day thread.
Apparently they were great 1st half playing some really good attacking football, one of their best performances of the season.
Their fans said it's the best football they've seen in several decades and based on that 1st half they seriously feel they can win virtually all their remaining matches.

However in the 2nd half Cardiff were slightly on top, Boro were defending for long spells and had to battle it out.
Boro fans are disappointed that the 2nd half was so poor compared to the 1st half but have taken the positives that their
side have character and can battle it out, defending well when they're under some pressure.

Next 2 games are huge. Millwall away for us and QPR at home for Boro on Saturday.

Worst case scenario we lose against Boro and Millwall whilst they win both and the gap is down to 4 points. OK we will still have a game in hand and a superior goal difference but that's squeeky bum time. However, we beat Boro and win at Millwall and it is 13 points, (or 11 with one of them ending a draw) with the game in hand and goal difference with 14 left.

No reason to think we will lose either, let alone both, we are unbeaten in 11 (despite not playing particularly well).... and with our injury list getting better we should be powering through to the end of the season. COYRAWW

Realistically I can see us losing the next 3 games all against play-off placed clubs. That would wipe out our points and most if not all of our goal difference. We might get a few points from the next two games after being humiliated by Spurs youth team 0-8 then be demolished by the unstoppable Luton.

I might sound a tad negative but this is how it always plays out in my head, I think it’s called blocking the fear reality.

The one teams form I keep checking is Birmingham cause you can bet your bottom english pound coin that we will need a win from the last game of the season to stave off relegation and swapping places with the pork.
I think like that. So I counter act it by placing a bet on the other team to win, not won a bet since having 10p each way on Red Rum in 1973.

Your dad hit the nail good and proper on the head. Thinking of that night still meks the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.View attachment 153763

I was there. I'd have been 11 going on 12. I'm sure I remember the sky was painted red & white stripes on the way back home! XD.
It doesn't get much better than that night. I'm sure that cemented me as a Blade.

Realistically I can see us losing the next 3 games all against play-off placed clubs. That would wipe out our points and most if not all of our goal difference. We might get a few points from the next two games after being humiliated by Spurs youth team 0-8 then be demolished by the unstoppable Luton.

I might sound a tad negative but this is how it always plays out in my head, I think it’s called blocking the fear reality.

The one teams form I keep checking is Birmingham cause you can bet your bottom english pound coin that we will need a win from the last game of the season to stave off relegation and swapping places with the pork.
Bladey bladeness mate I am exactly the same it's years of expecting it to go tits up (and it usually does) just once before I shuffle off this mortal coil I would like to see us play in Europe,win a cup and watch those delusional over bearing wankers in S6 either go bust or end up in the northern prem (although it would be the toughest league ever )

Last edited:
I can understand the Boro fans feeling a bit chirpy, as they are on a great run but unfortunately for them and luckily for us, they started about 4 weeks too late. We’re also on a great run, have strong mental resilience and are getting back to full strength and top form at just the right time.
All, apart from N’diaye, have had a good break and no reason why fatigue should play any part in the run in.
Carrick, seems like a nice bloke who’s doing a good job, without all the media frenzy, like we see/saw for Frank Lampard’s Derby County etc.

In my opinion we are better than them all over the pitch.

I think we are one of, if not THE best team in the Championship when out of possession.

We just wear teams down.

Offensively goals come from everywhere and anywhere. Ndiaye hasn’t scored for a bit, but you’d hardly notice.

You look at players like Norwood and Egan and Berge and McBurnie and Ndiaye and they are big game players at this level, not to mention Bogle and Ahmedhodzic.

I’m not going to say anything about Boro and tempt fate, but that is a lot of Big Game players to shut down.

I still think we are the top team in the division. We had that horrendous injury spell from 1st to 22nd October where we took 3 points from 18. In the same spell Burnley took 12 from 18. For all the massive wankfest about them, this is the period when we were scratching around for players that they took advantage. Outside of this injury hit period we’ve accumulated 2 more points. Hopefully they get their own injury spell too. Otherwise luck with injuries is all that separates the two teams.

We are a Premier League team in waiting. We’ve been top two pretty much all year. Time to prove it further this week.

Last edited:
The point is last 20 games is everbody's last 20 games. They have 3 more points then us in the last 20 games we have both played.
Who cares? You know my point is that they've played a game more but anyway, another thing I don't do is to get dragged into pedantry boring conversations especially on a generally lighthearted thread aimed by many including YT at any opposition who may be viewing it. Enjoy your day.

If they don't win then that's a huge hit to their chances of catching us. It would then be 13 points to catch, which is a hell of a task it they don't have one already, and with Luton set to overtake them. If we don't win we have plenty of chances to recover.

Yeah, it'll hurt if we lose, it'll put a bit of a dampener on the mood, but it won't be the end of the world for us by any stretch.

You can talk about pressure, but we know that all we have to do is what we've done for the last thirty games. We've done that with all sorts of disruption from injury. Remember playing Khadra as a pseudo-wingback we were that desperate? And still we've pulled this far clear. I don't think we've even seen us at our best yet.

There's always pressure, but it's a hell of a lot easier to handle when you know what's required of you and you know you've already been doing it. It's like watching a snooker player in a big frame. The pressure's immense but they know they've cleared up those colours before and all they have to do is the same again. Watch a tennis player serving for a win. They focus on doing the same thing they've done all those times before. That's what gets you through. Not desperate hope that others slip up, not wondering about the what-ifs, not trying to stir up the opposition. It's being a team that's spent the season going out on the pitch and whatever the conditions finding a way to get a result. Will that be enough for us? We'll find out. But all we have to do is what we're already doing.

We need to get at them and show why us and Burnley are clear of the rest, wouldn’t be too unhappy with a point but I want us to go for the jugular and smash em.

I think like that. So I counter act it by placing a bet on the other team to win, not won a bet since having 10p each way on Red Rum in 1973.
So do I. Only time I won (unfortunately) was when we played Wigan and I put £10 on West Ham to beat Manure in the certainty it would jinx them. I won £90 and cried. Sons wouldn't talk to me for days.

we just cant lose to boro theyve got some very easy games coming up in next 6 or 7 while weve some tough away games having said that if we beat them i doubt they will catch us

Picks itself after the last home game? I doubt Baldock, Doyle and Osula will be risked. Sharp I'm guessing will be out?

Wes

Anel Egan Robinson

Bogle Berge Norwood McAtee Lowe

Ndiaye McBurnie

Davies
Basham
Clark
Fleck
Osborn
Couilbaly
Jebbison

Who's this pretender to the throne, and where's Fallowfield?

Picks itself after the last home game? I doubt Baldock, Doyle and Osula will be risked. Sharp I'm guessing will be out?

Wes

Anel Egan Robinson

Bogle Berge Norwood McAtee Lowe

Ndiaye McBurnie

Davies
Basham
Clark
Fleck
Osborn
Couilbaly
Jebbison

Injuries dependent, I suspect you've called it spot on.

The only change he might consider, if he's a bit negative, is putting in a more defence minded player in for McAtee - Osborn / Fleck / Coulibaly.
I hope and doubt not.
Jebbison's return is very welcome, he gives us a really good option from the bench.

Huge game. If we press them high and play on the front foot then there's no reason why we shouldn't win on home soil.
I'll be intrigued to see what Hecky does if the game is in the balance with 10 to go. I suspect he'll try to shut-up-shop rather than go for the 3 points.

Injuries dependent, I suspect you've called it spot on.

The only change he might consider, if he's a bit negative, is putting in a more defence minded player in for McAtee - Osborn / Fleck / Coulibaly.
I hope and doubt not.
Jebbison's return is very welcome, he gives us a really good option from the bench.

Huge game. If we press them high and play on the front foot then there's no reason why we shouldn't win on home soil.
I'll be intrigued to see what Hecky does if the game is in the balance with 10 to go. I suspect he'll try to shut-up-shop rather than go for the 3 points.

I can see Hecky starting Fleck instead of McAtee

I'm sure we will set out to be positive on Wed night but two draws this week - really wouldn't be the worst of things.

UTB

Over the next couple of months, there will be weeks where the chasers win and we don't.

But there will also be weeks when we win and they don't.

I think some people are forgetting that part. Boro & Luton are not going to win every game.

The current gap is just the starting line from now until the end of the season. The gap might get bigger.

We might lose on Wednesday and still finish 12, 13, 14 points ahead of Boro come the end of the season.

People are talking as if the gap will inevitably only get smaller.

We can absorb several draws/losses. Realistically Boro can only afford draws/defeats in 5 of their 15 remaining games. Absolute max.

Back
Top Bottom