2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Middlesbrough - 15th February 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
MIDD
MIDD
MIDD
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
middlesbrough.gif

Championship Week 31 - Wednesday 15th February 2023 - 20:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-middlesbrough.636/

Officials:

Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Matthew Wilkes
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
Fourth Official: Darren Bond

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 00.18.51.png

Picks itself after the last home game? I doubt Baldock, Doyle and Osula will be risked. Sharp I'm guessing will be out?

Wes

Anel Egan Robinson

Bogle Berge Norwood McAtee Lowe

Ndiaye McBurnie

Davies
Basham
Clark
Fleck
Osborn
Couilbaly
Jebbison
Just put those 11 players on and tell them to play with some fire in their belly. We need 100 percenters out there on Wed.

Assuming they will put Akpom or Hackney on Norwood, we need legs in Doyle to run the mid if that happens

Injuries dependent, I suspect you've called it spot on.

The only change he might consider, if he's a bit negative, is putting in a more defence minded player in for McAtee - Osborn / Fleck / Coulibaly.
I hope and doubt not.
Jebbison's return is very welcome, he gives us a really good option from the bench.

Huge game. If we press them high and play on the front foot then there's no reason why we shouldn't win on home soil.
I'll be intrigued to see what Hecky does if the game is in the balance with 10 to go. I suspect he'll try to shut-up-shop rather than go for the 3 points.
I would start with Osborn ahead of McAtee. I think the Boro midfield is a lot stronger than the Swansea one.

I'm confident and the gap is a boost that can't be underestimated but the inner blade pessimist can't shake the feeling this could be our version of that game at Elland Road. Admittedly we weren't 10 points behind Leeds then but still.

I would start with Osborn ahead of McAtee. I think the Boro midfield is a lot stronger than the Swansea one.

I get the argument for it.. but I'd rather we let them worry about us at Bramall Lane.
I like what McAtee brings to the table. Without him, our attack becomes a bit lopsided down the right.
If we play with wide attackers, hopefully it keeps their full-backs deep. Giles, Jones and Smith are all capable of hurting teams from out wide.

We all accept Boro have been in incredible run of form.
..... since they sacked Chris Wilder. Their turnarond under Carrick has been amazing - about the same as ours under Hecky. It will be a tough match for sure and they'll be in the mix at the finish. I hope they finish the season like we did.

I’d start Jebbo as our main striker against Boro.

They HAVE to win, and the pace of him, Ndiaye, McAtee and Bogle will mean that if they go for it, they’ll leave themselves extremely vulnerable to us countering.

Another point that is important to mention....it's not just about closing a 10-12 point gap
This doesn't receive enough of a a mention but once any team closes the gap they they need to maintain that impressive form.

Guaranteed auto promotion form is normally classed as 2 points per game.
So in an 46 point season you end up with a very impressive 92 points....that the kind of points tally we're heading towards at the moment.

Boro have already been in brilliant from their last 10 matches
but lets assume they continue with auto promotion form averaging 2 points per game.

Boro have 15 games left....so let's assume they acquire a very impressive 30 points from those games, that means they finish the season on 81 points.

We are currently on 61 points....so finishing on 82 points is likely to be enough.
So from our last 16 games....it's highly likely we can afford to win 6 draw 3 lose 7.

We all accept Boro have been in incredible run of form.
In their last 16 league matches they have won 11 drawn 2 lost 3 = 35 points.
So if they repeat their incredible form (which is unlikely) they'll finish on 86 points.
So from our last 16 games we'd then need to win 7 drawn 4 lose 5, which is pretty average and we're still auto promoted.
when you put the figures down on paper it really disheartens me. its a big swing isnt it. very unlikely anyone will get near you.

though what we cant calculate is blades losing 3 in a row and boro winning 3 in a row. which changes everything. which is why carrick and hecky both always say. we take each game as it comes. thats all both teams can do. just crack on and try and concentrate on the game at hand.

its the hope that kills us as fans. but you have to believe from our perspective that we can run you down and take second. thats the motivation. if that did happen. i think we will have a new icon or two with the current staff. 21st to 2nd and auto's would be a fairy tale for us. but reality is, its a dream and nothing more.

McAtee is looking more and more accomplished and comfortable, it's no longer the same sort of risk to start him

Jebbison's return is timely after Sharp's injury. Will be able to replace McBurnie if he can't do 90 mins

I reckon Boro could win 13 of their remaining games 15 meaning 90 points if they continue to fly as they are.

But if we win 10 out of our remaining 16 and that‘s 91 points, .. we still have some leeway

Fuck that. Win the fucker Blades, and win well. Put a marker down that we are going up and no one is gonna take an auto spot off us. We should be chasing Burnley hard and all the way to the finishing line hoping they do a Devon Loch.

we just cant lose to boro theyve got some very easy games coming up in next 6 or 7 while weve some tough away games having said that if we beat them i doubt they will catch us
They also have some tricky games in April where as our run in is more favourable, swings and roundabouts, I recon win or even draw on Wednesday and they will struggle to get near us.

The gap in not insurmountable though, Chelsea, Wigan, and not to mention the mind the gap season….we managed to feck them all up.

I reckon Boro could win 13 of their remaining games 15 meaning 90 points if they continue to fly as they are.

But if we win 10 out of our remaining 16 and that‘s 91 points, .. we still have some leeway
Be absolutely amazed if Boro win 13 of 15, they have been outperforming their xG quite often which isn't sustainable over a long period

If they don't win then that's a huge hit to their chances of catching us. It would then be 13 points to catch, which is a hell of a task it they don't have one already, and with Luton set to overtake them. If we don't win we have plenty of chances to recover.

Yeah, it'll hurt if we lose, it'll put a bit of a dampener on the mood, but it won't be the end of the world for us by any stretch.

You can talk about pressure, but we know that all we have to do is what we've done for the last thirty games. We've done that with all sorts of disruption from injury. Remember playing Khadra as a pseudo-wingback we were that desperate? And still we've pulled this far clear. I don't think we've even seen us at our best yet.

There's always pressure, but it's a hell of a lot easier to handle when you know what's required of you and you know you've already been doing it. It's like watching a snooker player in a big frame. The pressure's immense but they know they've cleared up those colours before and all they have to do is the same again. Watch a tennis player serving for a win. They focus on doing the same thing they've done all those times before. That's what gets you through. Not desperate hope that others slip up, not wondering about the what-ifs, not trying to stir up the opposition. It's being a team that's spent the season going out on the pitch and whatever the conditions finding a way to get a result. Will that be enough for us? We'll find out. But all we have to do is what we're already doing.

Completely agree, good post.

Who cares? You know my point is that they've played a game more but anyway, another thing I don't do is to get dragged into pedantry boring conversations especially on a generally lighthearted thread aimed by many including YT at any opposition who may be viewing it. Enjoy your day.
Calm down. You were the one correcting Carlton Blades post. I merely pointed out that he was right and you were wrong. Maybe we both need to be less pedantic. I hope you enjoy your day also.

I guess that most people, including Boro, will be happy with a draw, but I reckon we'll win this one.

Calm down. You were the one correcting Carlton Blades post. I merely pointed out that he was right and you were wrong. Maybe we both need to be less pedantic. I hope you enjoy your day also.

Absolutely.

just love it when i see a couple of guys touching tips and moving on.

warms my heart ❤️

As said, it picks itself.

Initially I felt bad for Coulibaly, having played well in the cup only to be omitted from the squad on Saturday... But Norwood soon put those thoughts to be with another quality performance

I genuinely think we will get more from Ndiaye alongside McBurnie. Im not sure why, but I don't think he is half the player when alonside the Captain. Okay he's been heavily man marked recently, but he drifts put wide most and isn't as direct..... McBurnies height should help free him up a bit.

Over the next couple of months, there will be weeks where the chasers win and we don't.

But there will also be weeks when we win and they don't.

I think some people are forgetting that part. Boro & Luton are not going to win every game.

The current gap is just the starting line from now until the end of the season. The gap might get bigger.

We might lose on Wednesday and still finish 12, 13, 14 points ahead of Boro come the end of the season.

People are talking as if the gap will inevitably only get smaller.

We can absorb several draws/losses. Realistically Boro can only afford draws/defeats in 5 of their 15 remaining games. Absolute max.
People need to listen to this post, it’s bang on the money!

Picks itself after the last home game? I doubt Baldock, Doyle and Osula will be risked. Sharp I'm guessing will be out?

Wes

Anel Egan Robinson

Bogle Berge Norwood McAtee Lowe

Ndiaye McBurnie

Davies
Basham
Clark
Fleck
Osborn
Couilbaly
Jebbison
That’s the team. Only thing that could change is Coulibaly for a striker like Osula but very unlikely

Update - Doyle back in training according to the examiner so presume he comes in for Coulibaly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom