2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Middlesbrough - 15th February 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
MIDD
MIDD
MIDD
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
middlesbrough.gif

Championship Week 31 - Wednesday 15th February 2023 - 20:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-middlesbrough.636/

Officials:

Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Matthew Wilkes
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
Fourth Official: Darren Bond

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 00.18.51.png

I suppose we just have to assume that boro win every game ( until they don't) its better to have a team snapping at your heels but with the size of the gap now I don't think we will really feel under pressure unless they come within a win of us which I can't see happening
With 16 games left I can't see us going on a bad enough run even if we get injurys and suspensions

Big game midweek I'd settle for a draw but Millwall will be tough as well

Another point that is important to mention....it's not just about closing a 10-12 point gap
This doesn't receive enough of a a mention but once any team closes the gap they they need to maintain that impressive form.

Guaranteed auto promotion form is normally classed as 2 points per game.
So in an 46 point season you end up with a very impressive 92 points....that the kind of points tally we're heading towards at the moment.

Boro have already been in brilliant from their last 10 matches
but lets assume they continue with auto promotion form averaging 2 points per game.

Boro have 15 games left....so let's assume they acquire a very impressive 30 points from those games, that means they finish the season on 81 points.

We are currently on 61 points....so finishing on 82 points is likely to be enough.
So from our last 16 games....it's highly likely we can afford to win 6 draw 3 lose 7.

We all accept Boro have been in incredible run of form.
In their last 16 league matches they have won 11 drawn 2 lost 3 = 35 points.
So if they repeat their incredible form (which is unlikely) they'll finish on 86 points.
So from our last 16 games we'd then need to win 7 drawn 4 lose 5, which is pretty average and we're still auto promoted.
Pinning this to my bedroom wall. 🤙🤙. Looks pretty good written down like this.
Know a couple of Boro fans who are very confident they can do it and think we are panicking.

Know a couple of Boro fans who are very confident they can do it and think we are panicking.

How the fuck can we be panicking when we've just won 3-0? Think they've been sipping the deludamol bless em.

We can be caught, we have business to do, hopefully we can do it. Carrick is doing a fine job there but it's still a big gap

Let's see how confident they feel on Thursday morning after we have given them a hiding at the Lane the previous night.

Is there any guidance available on when I need to stop being 'rattled' (@little Wrexham) and change to a spot of 'panicking'? I'm confused as to when I can change from one to the other. I never knew that every other set of fans are so clued up on SUFC fans and their general state of mental health. For the record, I'm planning to be rattled until Tuesday 2pm then I will change to being panicked from thereon.

Last edited:
Other than maybe Burnley game we haven't really had a promotion pressure hanging over it type game. Watford,Reading and Blackburn were early in the season. It's not like the wilder season where every game felt huge or even or attempt under Hecky to get that final play off spot pressure.

If we are on it like we were v Reading, Blackburn and Burnley it'll take something to stop us. The next couple of months we have some big games. A win or even a draw on Wednesday deflates any pressure Middlesbrough could build on us massively

A lot of it for this one is the good kind of pressure based on the significance of possible victory, rather than the consequences of possible defeat

I'm looking forward to it mostly. It's promotion night if we win as far as I'm concerned

How the fuck can we be panicking when we've just won 3-0? Think they've been sipping the deludamol bless em.

We can be caught, we have business to do, hopefully we can do it. Carrick is doing a fine job there but it's still a big gap
How can we be panicking ? They probably mean the fannies who frequent this forum
Good job the players don't think like those lily livered wrecks

Would rather be in our position with the points in the bag than theres.

Wednesday night is important. It signals the start of a tough run of games....i honestly believe the next 4 games will have a big impact on how the rest of the season pans out. Not just for us BTW.... But for all those clubs eyeing the play offs. Our mentality, both players and fans should be "go for it".... CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Of course we're under pressure, every team in the league is. Burnley are looking over their shoulder at us, we're looking at the team's below and on it goes all the way down to the bottom club. It's how you handle the pressure that matters and so far, I've seen nowt to suggest that we don't have the character to see it through. Add to that we have the best squad in the division and pressure? Yeah, whatever.

Reactions: Dkc
There’s perhaps more pressure on us to go up, than them. Financially we need to go up in case the Takeover falls through.

Boro, this season at least have no real pressure as they came from a very low position when they changed manager and the run of form they’ve been in is like us and Forest last season.

Naturally those two factors would suggest that there’s pressure on us. But that’s not the full picture.

The Boro game for us comes with a big buffer between the two clubs in the league. 10 points, without looking and I think we have a game in hand…

This side don’t really suffer from stage fright, some very experienced heads in the side and we know how to win big games.

Is this a pressure game for us? No, it’s no different to any other game this season. I’d say this is the most professional and experienced Blades side in my lifetime. They’ve mostly been there and done that - promotions, relegation, covid, play offs… I’ve not seen us really freeze on the big occasions without regrouping and going again

My old Dad always used to go on about beating Cardiff under lights when it looked like they may catch us in the 1971 promotion season we blew them away.. best night he ever had at the Lane he said.

It was before my time so I would love to experience something similar in midweek.

Two sides in cracking form, no reason for either set of fans to be over confident. Either side more than capable of winning this one. A loss not the end of the world, a draw a very good result, especially if we win our game in hand, a win would be incredible. UTB

There’s perhaps more pressure on us to go up, than them. Financially we need to go up in case the Takeover falls through.

Boro, this season at least have no real pressure as they came from a very low position when they changed manager and the run of form they’ve been in is like us and Forest last season.

Naturally those two factors would suggest that there’s pressure on us. But that’s not the full picture.

The Boro game for us comes with a big buffer between the two clubs in the league. 10 points, without looking and I think we have a game in hand…

This side don’t really suffer from stage fright, some very experienced heads in the side and we know how to win big games.

Is this a pressure game for us? No, it’s no different to any other game this season. I’d say this is the most professional and experienced Blades side in my lifetime. They’ve mostly been there and done that - promotions, relegation, covid, play offs… I’ve not seen us really freeze on the big occasions without regrouping and going again

Agree with every world of that. In the wider context, Sheffield United as a club is under much more pressure as a club than Middlesborough, but that has been the case for a while and there are no signs whatsoever that is effecting the team on the pitch. Far from it in fact.

From management team, to players we are such a well oiled machine now, and plenty of the other so called promotion rivals have had their arses tanned at the Lane this season. Let's see what Boro have got that the others didn't.

My old Dad always used to go on about beating Cardiff under lights when it looked like they may catch us in the 1971 promotion season we blew them away.. best night he ever had at the Lane he said.

It was before my time so I would love to experience something similar in midweek.
Still is the best game I have ever watched at the Lane. Brilliant atmosphere and a 5-1 win. The 1970/71 team was the best Blades team I have ever seen.

Still is the best game I have ever watched at the Lane. Brilliant atmosphere and a 5-1 win. The 1970/71 team was the best Blades team I have ever seen.
couldnt even get on the kop properly that night with such big queues outside we ended up on the gangway steps every gangway was full top to bottom the shoreham was that rammed that night

I'm sorry but I think all the pressure on Boro for this one.

First thing is that them this is undoubtedly a must win. We are the side they have got to chase down to get in Autos. Anything less than a Boro win leaves us a short step closer to promotion. A draw still us 10 in front with a game in hand, but with a game less to catch us up.

Secondly they've got to come at us and try and attack a side with a defence that doesn't concede many, and too attack us they need to commit men forward against a side with players like N'Diaye, Bogle, McAtee and Bogle who are lethal on the break, and have bullets supplied by someone who can turn kick off an attack with a clever ball in the blink of an eye in Norwood.

I'm just concentrating on what we can do though, and as long as we look after our own business we will be absolutely fine. I've got doubt Boro are going to come down and try and throw the kitchen sink at us, but the pressure is more on them as if we get the three points on Wednesday, it'll kick us further out of sight and has the potential to knock the wind out of their sails.

I'm sorry but I think all the pressure on Boro for this one.

First thing is that them this is undoubtedly a must win. We are the side they have got to chase down to get in Autos. Anything less than a Boro win leaves us a short step closer to promotion. A draw still us 10 in front with a game in hand, but with a game less to catch us up.

Secondly they've got to come at us and try and attack a side with a defence that doesn't concede many, and too attack us they need to commit men forward against a side with players like N'Diaye, Bogle, McAtee and Bogle who are lethal on the break, and have bullets supplied by someone who can turn kick off an attack with a clever ball in the blink of an eye in Norwood.

I'm just concentrating on what we can do though, and as long as we look after our own business we will be absolutely fine. I've got doubt Boro are going to come down and try and throw the kitchen sink at us, but the pressure is more on them as if we get the three points on Wednesday, it'll kick us further out of sight and has the potential to knock the wind out of their sails.
Double Bogle 😍 Boro have fucked it.

Two sides in cracking form, no reason for either set of fans to be over confident. Either side more than capable of winning this one. A loss not the end of the world, a draw a very good result, especially if we win our game in hand, a win would be incredible. UTB
I always favour points on the board over games in hand so I want a win. Will except a draw. If we lose we must beat Millwall the weekend after.

Not worried. no bed wetting but the reality is Whilst the points won't be a problem, it would be a phycological blow we don't need.

The atmosphere should be the best since the Burnley game and could make the difference, looking forward to Roy's view from a little more than usual.

Back
Top Bottom