Most skillful Blades player ever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not in currie's or sabella's or hodges class obviously but from recent times I loved watching Jamie Murphy and Andy reid

JCR had some tricks too, unfortunately they deserted him just before the cross

Come on .

Within the lifetime of anyone on here there are three who stand head and shoulders above the rest and they are Hagan , Currie and Sabella .

Closest to them IMO would be a player rarely mentioned on here , but who on his day could demonstrate breathtaking skills and his name was Willie Hamilton .

I once saw him take the ball fully 70 yards down the pitch juggling the ball off his knees , head , shoulders and feet going past players as if they weren't there and then unleashing a volley . I can't remember whether it was a goal or a near miss but it was an astonishing piece of skill , among with others he produced for us .

Anyone else remember him ?

Difficult to compare the skills needed in defence with those needed up front.

Len Badger was probably the silkiest defender I can recall - though Vas had more going forward.

Michael Tongue on his day was top drawer.

Up front - Currie for outright class.

I'd like to know how these would stack up against any of the three Shaws, - Billy Gillespie, Jock Dodds and the others most of us never had the joy to see.

Remember seeing Fjortoft turn a defender inside out. I had never seen skill like it. The ref agreed, he was so confused he gave a free kick to the defender!

Come on .

Within the lifetime of anyone on here there are three who stand head and shoulders above the rest and they are Hagan , Currie and Sabella .

Closest to them IMO would be a player rarely mentioned on here , but who on his day could demonstrate breathtaking skills and his name was Willie Hamilton .

I once saw him take the ball fully 70 yards down the pitch juggling the ball off his knees , head , shoulders and feet going past players as if they weren't there and then unleashing a volley . I can't remember whether it was a goal or a near miss but it was an astonishing piece of skill , among with others he produced for us .

Anyone else remember him ?

Before my time, but I read into him after he came up on a similar thread before. There are a couple of decent articles online about him which I'll dig out when I'm not on my phone!

Two details stand out - he joined us because he was grateful that Joe Mercer had bought him a pair of boots as a youngster, and his sister reckoned that he played his best football for us.

I think he might have played for both Hibs and Hearts later on. Everyone describes him as a great talent who was just a bit wayward.

Kicking off with Glyn Hodges.
Hodges was class but I always thought he was more about his delivery than his skill levels. One of those players that could create a yard of space then punish you with a shot or killer delivery. His languid body movement reminded me to a certain extent of Le Tissier.

Back
Top Bottom