Most skillful Blades player ever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sabella for me by a country mile although I was only a youngster

If we are taliking pure skill then Wigley, Morris etc didn’t have much of it so after Sabella I would go with Beagrie. He could turn any full back inside out on his day and was a ray of sunshine in what was a very average team mid eighties

Come on .

Within the lifetime of anyone on here there are three who stand head and shoulders above the rest and they are Hagan , Currie and Sabella .

Closest to them IMO would be a player rarely mentioned on here , but who on his day could demonstrate breathtaking skills and his name was Willie Hamilton .

I once saw him take the ball fully 70 yards down the pitch juggling the ball off his knees , head , shoulders and feet going past players as if they weren't there and then unleashing a volley . I can't remember whether it was a goal or a near miss but it was an astonishing piece of skill , among with others he produced for us .

Anyone else remember him ?
My dad liked him. Jock Stein told Alex Ferguson that Willie was the most talented player he has worked with. He is wearing Hibs' number 10 shirt in below video

Hagan Currie & Sabella are the standouts for me, even though I never saw Hagan regrettably, so because of that TC first. In 1973 we played Derby at home & won 3-0, Woody set up tow headed goals from his wonderful corners & scored the second himself, & at first glance it might not look as special as it was. Woody brought the ball up the pitch attacking the kop on the right & played a one-two with TC before driving the ball across the 'keeper into the opposite corner. When TC got the pall he caressed the ball with the outside of his foot so it travelled straight up about hip level, & as it came back down he again caressed the ball perfectly into Woody's path so he could strike it without breaking stride. He did this so nonchalantly it didn't look that special, but you try it & you will find it was complete mastery of the ball. Then there was his "Currie shuffle", his adaptation of the Cruyff turn, & actually dribbling past players while blowing kisses to the delighted Blades in attendance, the way he hypnotised Kevin Locke of West Ham when he scored "that goal", sitting on the ball v Arsenal to get revenge on Alan Ball, he was majestic, & best of all he was a Blade.

In 1973 we played Derby at home & won 3-0, Woody set up tow headed goals from his wonderful corners & scored the second himself, & at first glance it might not look as special as it was. Woody brought the ball up the pitch attacking the kop on the right & played a one-two with TC before driving the ball across the 'keeper into the opposite corner. When TC got the pall he caressed the ball with the outside of his foot so it travelled straight up about hip level, & as it came back down he again caressed the ball perfectly into Woody's path so he could strike it without breaking stride. He did this so nonchalantly it didn't look that special, but you try it & you will find it was complete mastery of the ball.

Way before my time but was Jimmy Johnstone any good for us?

Played 11 games scoring 2 between November 1975 and October 1976. His only good game for us was the 1-1 home draw against Fulham (his penultimate game for us). He prepared well , without touching alcohol, for the Fulham game as he knew there was going to be a big crowd (28K which was double our average for the season) as Fulham had Bobby Moore, George Best and Rodney Marsh playing for them. Played out of his skin in that match.

Come on .

Within the lifetime of anyone on here there are three who stand head and shoulders above the rest and they are Hagan , Currie and Sabella .

Closest to them IMO would be a player rarely mentioned on here , but who on his day could demonstrate breathtaking skills and his name was Willie Hamilton .

I once saw him take the ball fully 70 yards down the pitch juggling the ball off his knees , head , shoulders and feet going past players as if they weren't there and then unleashing a volley . I can't remember whether it was a goal or a near miss but it was an astonishing piece of skill , among with others he produced for us .

Mystery man to me. Always heard his name mentioned by older fans who say the same as you. Apart from Dean Hammond, Owen Morrison should have done a lot better, once saw Peter Dornan same as last one. Barry Hartle and Tony Wagstaffe both had superb skills and class but something was missing. Have to go for TC and Sabella.

Played 11 games scoring 2 between November 1975 and October 1976. His only good game for us was the 1-1 home draw against Fulham (his penultimate game for us). He prepared well , without touching alcohol, for the Fulham game as he knew there was going to be a big crowd (28K which was double our average for the season) as Fulham had Bobby Moore, George Best and Rodney Marsh playing for them. Played out of his skin in that match.
I can feel a Stearman'd XI appearing soon

Hmm. Define skilful? Tony Currie was the most influential player I’ve seen... defence splitting passes, turning defence to attack, and the occasional worldie goal. Sabella was skilful in terms of dribbling and running with the ball, but he was just ineffectual once winter brought heavy soggy pitches. My vote goes to Alan Woodward, who could consistently score with full on vollies from crosses, could score directly from his own superb inswinging corners, and he could run with the ball at speed, dribble and shoot.

Come on .

Spot on who could argue against Hagan,Currie and Sabella .Even though there has been some super players at the Lane these three stand out a mile.In recent years Brooks comes in a close forth.I have difficulty splitting Hagan and Currie may be Currie because he was an entertainer and a show off and never missed a opportunity to play up to the crowd and the fans loved it.He brought big smiles to the fans faces and sheer frustration to the oppositions faces.

Spot on who could argue against Hagan,Currie and Sabella .Even though there has been some super players at the Lane these three stand out a mile.In recent years Brooks comes in a close forth.I have difficulty splitting Hagan and Currie may be Currie because he was an entertainer and a show off and never missed a opportunity to play up to the crowd and the fans loved it.He brought big smiles to the fans faces and sheer frustration to the oppositions faces.
Thanks!

Not in currie's or sabella's or hodges class obviously but from recent times I loved watching Jamie Murphy and Andy reid

JCR had some tricks too, unfortunately they deserted him just before the cross

JCR used to baffle me. If he could cross he'd have played much higher. What I couldn't understand is that you'd think that crossing the ball would be the mechanical part that you could learn with enough training. I could never learn the pace, the co-ordination, the reactions, and the instinct to beat players like he could but I, as a total layman, reckon if I practiced enough I could at least learn not to hit the stand every time I whipped it in.

So (off topic I know) but just watching Woodward in that 3-0 win and the player he most closely resembles from more recently was Beckham (here it comes); who was better?

Hmm. Define skilful? Tony Currie was the most influential player I’ve seen... defence splitting passes, turning defence to attack, and the occasional worldie goal. Sabella was skilful in terms of dribbling and running with the ball, but he was just ineffectual once winter brought heavy soggy pitches. My vote goes to Alan Woodward, who could consistently score with full on vollies from crosses, could score directly from his own superb inswinging corners, and he could run with the ball at speed, dribble and shoot.
Yes he was superb .What would he and Currie be worth now?

Did nt play too long for us but Gordon Cowans is in with a shout. But both Currie and Sabella take it for me.

So (off topic I know) but just watching Woodward in that 3-0 win and the player he most closely resembles from more recently was Beckham (here it comes); who was better?

Woody wasn't skill full in terms of dribbling, but nevertheless he had a bag full of other tricks. He was a powerful runner with the ball, pacy, could place or swerve a ball pretty much wherever he wanted, & of course he had a hammer in either foot. Beckham was good no doubt, but Woody was the better player for me, faster, stronger, at least if not a better crosser & striker of a football & scored way more goals from open play, not much of a contest in the end!

Seem to remember Sun Jihai having some very nice touches before getting sent off, having a hissy fit and being packed off back to China

Currie A quality goal from a quality player!

Back
Top Bottom