Outgoing? McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is 9 league goals for Barnsley and 6 for Sheffield Utd good though? Really?
9 goals in 17 games in a team that gets relegated? Winning the Championship Player of the Month? Getting a national call up? Winning Player of the Year after being there less than 4 months?
And he was a one season wonder for the year after?

Is 9 league goals in 17 appearances for Barnsley and 6 for Sheffield Utd in the Premier League good though? Really?

Added some context. McBurnie may not be a world beater but he's got a decent pedigree in the second tier.

For context: last time we were in the Championship Billy Sharp scored 23 in 34+6 appearances. He got 6 Premier League goals in two seasons (including two penalties). There's a huge gulf between the divisions.

9 goals in 17 games in a team that gets relegated? Winning the Championship Player of the Month? Getting a national call up? Winning Player of the Year after being there less than 4 months?
And he was a one season wonder for the year after?

Fair points. It's not really the same as that 22 goal Swansea season though is it? You have to admit it sticks out on his résumé.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong on this by the way, just as I would have during his Scotland tenure, but I just can't shake the feeling that he is completely reliant on other players and I don't think that is what any club should be paying a premium for.

As some have said it's all down to rhe money on offer. Hes too inconsistent, has been injury prone and his off field antics don't help.

However he's proven in the championship and if we were trying to sign a player who had his goal scoring record in the championship at his age they would cost a.lot of money.

Fair points. It's not really the same as that 22 goal Swansea season though is it? You have to admit it sticks out on his résumé.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong on this by the way, just as I would have during his Scotland tenure, but I just can't shake the feeling that he is completely reliant on other players and I don't think that is what any club should be paying a premium for.
He's only played 3.5 seasons of first team football.

An excellent half-season for Barnsley
An excellent season for Swansea
A decent first season with us
An abject second season with us

One season does stand out from the others, but it's not the one with Swansea.

Yes on both counts.
We didn't create chances exponentially last season or the season prior. 6 was an acceptable return based on service for any of our strikers.
This is the biggest cause of confusion when it comes to our fans and McBurnie: they think that he had a poor first season with us, when by any sensible standard he was actually pretty decent. Six goals in your first season at top flight level is respectable and plenty of players who cost a lot more have scored a lot less.

I'd hazard a guess that about 90% of professional strikers are heavily reliant on other players. The remaining 10% are playing for the top teams in the world and come with a price tag that would probably be forever out of our reach.
While he may have had a poor season (didn't they all though) he has a very good record in the Championship. His ungainly awkward style may not be pretty to watch but it can be effective and I bet Championship defenders will hate playing against him

The remaining 10% are playing for the top teams in the world and come with a price tag that would probably be forever out of our reach.

I don't think that's true. Top teams don't pluck these players out of thin air, and they rarely bring them through their youth academy, they come from somewhere. It's about getting in there first and being the bridge for these players. Clubs like Sheffield Utd can be that club.

I don't think that's true. Top teams don't pluck these players out of thin air, and they rarely bring them through their youth academy, they come from somewhere. It's about getting in there first and being the bridge for these players. Clubs like Sheffield Utd can be that club.
John Fleck £0.
JOC £not much.
Enda Stevens £hardly owt.
George Baldock £Mars and a cuppa.
Didsy £nada.
Egan £bit more.
Sharp £bit less.
Bash £notalot

It can be done as above.
Other clubs do it.

Face it. We have, quite simply, overpaid by a VAST margin on 2 strikers expected by many to be the £40m strike force to fire us back up.

That be the same £40m strike force that managed NO assists and One goal between them last season.

Some folks are in for a big surprise.

Huge surprise 😉.

UTB

If we can get our money back, we should do. Not convinced he has enough to ever justify the fee. He's shown he can score at this level but looks unlikely to ever replicate it in the PL. The off the pitch stuff makes me think he's not worth the trouble and we should accept a reasonable bid.

John Fleck £0.
JOC £not much.
Enda Stevens £hardly owt.
George Baldock £Mars and a cuppa.
Didsy £nada.
Egan £bit more.
Sharp £bit less.
Bash £notalot

It can be done as above.
Other clubs do it.

Face it. We have, quite simply, overpaid by a VAST margin on 2 strikers expected by many to be the £40m strike force to fire us back up.

That be the same £40m strike force that managed NO assists and One goal between them last season.

Some folks are in for a big surprise.

Huge surprise 😉.

UTB
We have only overpaid for the strikers if over a 3 to 4 year period they fail to score plenty of goals or cannot be sold fo4 good fees.
The jury is out !

If we can get our money back, we should do. Not convinced he has enough to ever justify the fee. He's shown he can score at this level but looks unlikely to ever replicate it in the PL. The off the pitch stuff makes me think he's not worth the trouble and we should accept a reasonable bid.
I can understand why you feel that way. For the moment I would like to see what SJ manages to do with him.

Wolves eye loan raid for Sheffield United striker McBurnie​

Wolves are reportedly keen on making a move for Sheffield United striker, Oli McBurnie, before the deadline this week
The Sun reports today that Wolves are keeping tabs on McBurnie ahead of Tuesday. It’s claimed they could make a loan offer for the striker, as Bruno Lage seeks back ups and squad depth.

Wolves eye loan raid for Sheffield United striker McBurnie​

Wolves are reportedly keen on making a move for Sheffield United striker, Oli McBurnie, before the deadline this week
The Sun reports today that Wolves are keeping tabs on McBurnie ahead of Tuesday. It’s claimed they could make a loan offer for the striker, as Bruno Lage seeks back ups and squad depth.
please take him

It's gone from £15m to a loan.

Presumably big wages though, and just being with a Premiership club adds value to a player.

I know he's not doing it, but he's the only striker with aerial ability that we haven't.

Tough one (now its not a sale) but I'd still send him in afraid.

It's gone from £15m to a loan.

Presumably big wages though, and just being with a Premiership club adds value to a player.

I know he's not doing it, but he's the only striker with aerial ability that we haven't.

Tough one (now its not a sale) but I'd still send him in afraid.

no one in their right mind is paying more than 5/6m for him

given what he’s shown he’s an option off the bench to win some headers for the last 10 minutes and nowt more

Time to go perhaps Ollie?

My concern is the board won't replace him

I would do the same with Mousset as well, but don't think any club would be interested. I don't care about all these comments regarding he has talent. He's absolutely no use to this club if he is forever sat on the treatment table

Should be sold even for a big loss. He's in the last year of his contract next season so unless he smashes it on loan we'll lose a lot of value anyway.

Last edited:
Loaning mcburbie would be a mistake

However poor he was yesterday you don’t let one of your main strikers leave 3 days before the windows closing and he is however much people say he’s crap

Back
Top Bottom