CONFIRMED Mason Holgate

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was reasonably happy with this signing, but seeing this very well informed view has left me a bit despondent.

Is he worse than Ampadu Nic? Worse than Basham?

Bash will do Bash things. He’s under contract for a season, he’ll give 100% when called upon and he isn’t considered a starter. He’s an acceptable cover at RCB for my money, given the financial climate at the club.

Ampadu is a strange one to the eye he is poor, but his stats are very good. He’s still relatively young, but has good experience. I don’t think he’s suited to the English game, but you could make the same claim about the Italian one also. I wouldn’t want him back at BDTBL anytime soon.

Just a single example of the high regard in which Holgate’s held……

Note the comment about best position. Given a proper run at RCB with a club & fanbase that is supportive may be what he needs. But as I said, unless he’s being brought it to replace Anel as a starter, I really don’t see any use or benefit for him using up a loan & a decent wedge of wage money.

I’ll start by saying that I don’t rate him at all. On any level, in any position. That viewpoint is backed up by any & every Everton fan you speak to.

He was bought by Everton to replace John Stones, after he showed youthful promise at Barnsley (as did Stones). He never fulfilled it. He’s not lost his way, he’s just not very good.

He’s 27 yrs old in October, and I think he’s played about 160 games in nigh on a decade, which tells its own story.

The whole thing only makes the slightest bit of sense in my mind if we are bringing him in to play RCB, with Everton covering 1/2 his wages, with an option to purchase at a very favourable price. So favourable that Hecky sees value in it. The other side of this deal would involve us selling Anel for big money and dropping the majority of it on a quality player (hopefully Doyle or a CF).

If this isn’t the case and we are seriously looking at bringing him in to play DCM or LCB or move another CB out of position to accommodate him and we’re happy to pay any more than £20k a week for him, then my fucking patience is wearing very thin with the club at the moment.

It’s like the Captain of the Titanic, on learning of the collision with the iceberg, asking a plumber to quickly change the taps in his cabin for gold ones.
It does seem a bit odd that at the same time we're apparently focusing on players from the sort of countries that would give you.... I believe they call it a "stiffy" ? we're also going for one of the laziest most obvious signings possible and using a precious loan on it to boot, possibly paying a daft wage too

I think it's a manager special relationship sort of thing. May Hecky's heart be whole again, even if it costs us a Chukwuemeka...

I don't think he's as bad as you do though. Think a back 3 suits him and I think this club will suit him too

At the risk of repeating myself until something prolapses, if we are serious about staying up, which I must admit I am now beginning to doubt, we need to score 40 goals and concede no more than 60. Our current ability to do this, in my mind is scored as the following:

GK: 6.5/10
DF: 7/10
MF: 5/10
FW: 5.5/10

Therefore, going on the scarcity of resources, I would hope that every single £ is spent & every single avenue explored that improves MF & FW. Anything else, in my opinion, is just fuckaboutery.
Your post sets it out as it is. Nothing new there! ,the noises coming from the club say the same funds are limited and Hecki has said as much.
Being cute the way we spend it also comes from his gob that's how it is things will be slow.
What's your point? It goes without saying we are on a tight rope regarding staying up ! Nothing new there !.

Who is your starting CB if we aren’t desperate or needing to improve the position ??

For me to have best chance of staying in division we need 4 or 5 players coming in capable of starting, 1 x CB, 2 x CM and a forward, to get the type of player we need will cost so loan market seems most likely spot to try and do this

Egan, Anel and a left footer.

Your post sets it out as it is. Nothing new there! ,the noises coming from the club say the same funds are limited and Hecki has said as much.
Being cute the way we spend it also comes from his gob that's how it is things will be slow.
What's your point? It goes without saying we are on a tight rope regarding staying up ! Nothing new there !.

Just a long winded way of saying it boils my piss when I see us linked with Holgate & Coady. To even think about bringing in anybody on decent money that isn’t a starter at DCM, LCM, ACM and/or CF is idiocy.

Just a long winded way of saying it boils my piss when I see us linked with Holgate & Coady. To even think about bringing in anybody that isn’t a starter at DCM, LCM, ACM and/or CF is idiocy.
I can see your point ! Who would you bring in with such a limited budget! Both players have a lot of premiership experience .
Both will have to take a cut in pay! maybe the chance of playing 1st team football drives them .
Neither has signed yet !
Who do you suggest we sign ?

Just a long winded way of saying it boils my piss when I see us linked with Holgate & Coady. To even think about bringing in anybody on decent money that isn’t a starter at DCM, LCM, ACM and/or CF is idiocy.
One positive with this Holgate stuff is that it indicates we're after Doyle permanently and are probably quite confident of getting him

I'd say LWB is worth spending on too (Maouassa for me) because if we go with what we have or similar that side of the pitch will fuck us most games. Don't strengthen there and any strengthening centrally will largely be wasted

26 now, hes past the development stage so not so sure it would be a loan? can see Everton panicking after last season and spending even dafter money to try avoid a repeat.

I’m not that bothered about a specific left footer, yes I get why in the ideal world but I think we can work with a right footed guy as well
I’m a big believer in balance, and in some instances would rather see an inferior quality player playing on their correct side than vice versa.

Lowe, Osb, RND, JLT, Egan, Anel, Bash, furious fucking George & Bogle offer enough in defence (possibly short of a short term CB cover) for me.

We do need to slightly balance this, Holgate has been part of a squad that has underachieved for a good few years with a fan base that has loftier ambitions than perhaps they should

He could be one of the scapegoats for this, not saying he is next Maldini but not might be as bad as Is made out either

26 now, hes past the development stage so not so sure it would be a loan? can see Everton panicking after last season and spending even dafter money to try avoid a repeat
Absolutely no chance.

A) they're already being investigated for ffp breaches.
B) Moshri wants rid after all the shit the board got last season. Even paused the ground development as hes not spending any more

I’m a big believer in balance, and in some instances would rather see an inferior quality player playing on their correct side than vice versa.

Lowe, Osb, RND, JLT, Egan, Anel, Bash, furious fucking George & Bogle offer enough in defence (possibly short of a short term CB cover) for me.
I get the logic, maybe if we had a budget like City or Newcastle then you can work towards that, right now I’m not so sure Hecky is convinced

Maybe as you said yesterday in shoutbox I believe, maybe signing so called inferior means we have a stronger championship team next season but as you know that’s no guarantee of getting back up

Be weird for Everton to loan him to a relegation rival and continue paying him a salary.
Presume we'd have to take on the full 70k a week.
Seems loads for a position we're not desperate for and uses up 1/2 our available Prem loans.
None of it sounds too clever to me but hard to say without knowing the full transfer plans.

My only thought is could we be looking at going to a back 4?

This season is almost a free hit anyway, with a lot of the old guard departing if we were ever going to unbed ourselves from the Wilder years, now would be the time.

While ever we have the ownership we have, and this isn't a dig, I think we'll always be recruiting to be a yo-yo team, steadily building rather than being prem ready, if you get lucky and stay up then you can start recruiting to stay in the division. We just don't have the available funds to recruit mid prem players

While ever we have the ownership we have, and this isn't a dig, I think we'll always be recruiting to be a yo-yo team, steadily building rather than being prem ready, if you get lucky and stay up then you can start recruiting to stay in the division. We just don't have the available funds to recruit mid prem players

Not a dig at all. It's how sensible clubs should be operating.

Been said numerous times already but "Hope for the best, plan for the worst case scenario"

Look at Leicester now, even Everton were one loss away from being in the shit neck deep (even more than they already are)

We'll be extremely lucky to be a yo-yo team for much longer. Next season is a total rebuild. Everyone walks on frees.

My only thought is could we be looking at going to a back 4?

This season is almost a free hit anyway, with a lot of the old guard departing if we were ever going to unbed ourselves from the Wilder years, now would be the time.
cant see it but personally would like to see us go to a back 4 with 2 protectors in front of em in a 4231 set up maybe hecky sees holgate as one of the 2 with tommy doyle other than that i reckon we stick with a back 3 with holgate at rcb and either egan or anel at lcb

Bash will do Bash things. He’s under contract for a season, he’ll give 100% when called upon and he isn’t considered a starter. He’s an acceptable cover at RCB for my money, given the financial climate at the club.

Ampadu is a strange one to the eye he is poor, but his stats are very good. He’s still relatively young, but has good experience. I don’t think he’s suited to the English game, but you could make the same claim about the Italian one also. I wouldn’t want him back at BDTBL anytime soon.

Note the comment about best position. Given a proper run at RCB with a club & fanbase that is supportive may be what he needs. But as I said, unless he’s being brought it to replace Anel as a starter, I really don’t see any use or benefit for him using up a loan & a decent wedge of wage money.

Tbf most of the replies are calling out the OP for overreacting. It sounds like this was created by one of those fans who likes to vent after a game (every team has them).

I’ll start by saying that I don’t rate him at all. On any level, in any position. That viewpoint is backed up by any & every Everton fan you speak to.

He was bought by Everton to replace John Stones, after he showed youthful promise at Barnsley (as did Stones). He never fulfilled it. He’s not lost his way, he’s just not very good.

He’s 27 yrs old in October, and I think he’s played about 160 games in nigh on a decade, which tells its own story.

The whole thing only makes the slightest bit of sense in my mind if we are bringing him in to play RCB, with Everton covering 1/2 his wages, with an option to purchase at a very favourable price. So favourable that Hecky sees value in it. The other side of this deal would involve us selling Anel for big money and dropping the majority of it on a quality player (hopefully Doyle or a CF).

If this isn’t the case and we are seriously looking at bringing him in to play DCM or LCB or move another CB out of position to accommodate him and we’re happy to pay any more than £20k a week for him, then my fucking patience is wearing very thin with the club at the moment.

It’s like the Captain of the Titanic, on learning of the collision with the iceberg, asking a plumber to quickly change the taps in his cabin for gold ones.
I remember him being linked to Man City for 30mill, whilst a regular for Everton under Ancelotti.

If you write players off based on forum opinions, we'd have stopped playing Norwood, McBurnie, Egan, JLT etc etc a long time ago and probably be in League 1 now.

I don't think Holgate would be an inspiring signing, but could turn out to be a good one. Think you're being a little OTT to be honest Nic!

I'll say yet again, on the face of it a loan doesn't make much sense. But I'm not privilege to our transfer plans.

cant see it but personally would like to see us go to a back 4 with 2 protectors in front of em in a 4231 set up maybe hecky sees holgate as one of the 2 with tommy doyle other than that i reckon we stick with a back 3 with holgate at rcb and either egan or anel at lcb

I'd like to see 4-2-3-1 as well with the wingbacks joining the midfield in transition to become 4-5-1

Don't a lot of players tend to play better when their contracts are almost up?
Whether it to earn a new deal or impress in the shop window.

We were paying £13,000 a week for Clark which was 25% of his wages. If the rumours about Holgates wages are true then a similar percentage cut would be sensible. He'll provide cover at RB,RCB,CB and DM but not LCB which is the critical defensive position we need to fill at the moment.

The team needs balance and left footers at LCB. In the current absence of RND and Robinson not signing a contract at the moment its vital we bring in a replacement and its not Holgate for this position. No problem with Holgate coming in and providing cover and experience in other positions but you would hope we have the sense to ensure the wages are similar to the Clark deal.

We were paying £13,000 a week for Clark which was 25% of his wages. If the rumours about Holgates wages are true then a similar percentage cut would be sensible. He'll provide cover at RB,RCB,CB and DM but not LCB which is the critical defensive position we need to fill at the moment.

The team needs balance and left footers at LCB. In the current absence of RND and Robinson not signing a contract at the moment its vital we bring in a replacement and its not Holgate for this position. No problem with Holgate coming in and providing cover and experience in other positions but you would hope we have the sense to ensure the wages are similar to the Clark deal.
i actually didnt think it would have been a bad idea to bring clark back he can play that lcb position

i actually didnt think it would have been a bad idea to bring clark back he can play that lcb position
Too slow and injury prone. Holgate does have some pace and was very highly rated at one point. A change of scenery may do him good and if it doesn't work we have only loaned him.

I have some sympathy with the view about why waste a loan on him but we do need another centre back. I'd rather sign an up and coming one thst we can develop but they won't be ready to go straight into the team so I guess Hecky thinks this is the best option.

I'm putting it to the Luton test 'would I be pissed off if I heard he was going there ' and I think I would. Whereas with that Rotherham player they just signed I don't give a shit

Back
Top Bottom