CONFIRMED Mason Holgate

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Further Updates on the Holgate transfer after speaking to my undisclosed source

Its between us and Forest they are offering him a squad place we are offering a starting 11 spot

Up to the young lad whether he wants to be a squad player or not

Ill update the forum when i hear more or any other rumblings

Regards AGENTFallowfield

Under Wilder I would have agreed that we need the LCB to be left-footed. However, under Hecky we don't see the CBs overlapping as much, and i guess we'll see even less of it in the PL.

If the player is good enough, he's good enough.

It's strange with the left side of football teams, people think they HAVE to be left footed.
In a standard 4-4-2 formation, both CMs and both CFs could very easily be right-footed and nobody would question it.

If a team lined-up with 2x Left-Footed CMs and 2x left-footed CFs, people would question the insanity. What's the difference??

Also - why do left-footed free-kick takers have a "wand of a left foot"? Not a term used on right-footed players.
I'm not disagreeing necessarily and don't have the time or intelligence to debate it fully. But I am in the camp of; we'd be better with a left footed LCB.

We do plenty of build up play down the sides. One example benefit: A left footer can slide balls down the left-hand touchline a LOT more easily than a right footer. That type of interplay is different with a right footer. Think about it.

This should mean we have a couple of permanent incomings lined up. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to use a loan slot on a RCB. Not exactly a priority position at the moment unless we don't consider Bash to be good enough back up for Anel anymore.

This should mean we have a couple of permanent incomings lined up. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to use a loan slot on a RCB. Not exactly a priority position at the moment unless we don't consider Bash to be good enough back up for Anel anymore.
He played in 5 different positions last season so hardly just a RCB backup.

I'm not disagreeing necessarily and don't have the time or intelligence to debate it fully. But I am in the camp of; we'd be better with a left footed LCB.

We do plenty of build up play down the sides. One example benefit: A left footer can slide balls down the left-hand touchline a LOT more easily than a right footer. That type of interplay is different with a right footer. Think about it.
If we're at the choice of squad ! Forest squad player ! We offering more chance of 1st team football! No contest if the finance is right.

Ridiculously stupid idea signing Holgate, especially on loan as we can only have 2 prem loans.
He also plays on the right of a back 3, which funnily enough, is one of only 3 positions we don’t need to improve going into next season.
I really hope we aren’t paying the full 50k a week he’s on.

Further Updates on the Holgate transfer after speaking to my undisclosed source

Its between us and Forest they are offering him a squad place we are offering a starting 11 spot

Up to the young lad whether he wants to be a squad player or not

Ill update the forum when i hear more or any other rumblings

Regards AGENTFallowfield

1687781152479.gif

Always looks like red card waiting to happen to me

I really don't see this as a loan.

He'd play in Anel's position. Perfect for him. He can no doubt fill in at LWB but that would be very far from ideal. Rodon is at least pretty ok with his left foot, albeit not a left-footer.

He's not coming on loan as cover.

He would be 2nd choice at RCB, 2nd choice at LCB and 3rd choice at RWB. With only two loan slots available, is this an ideal signing? I thought the idea of loans is to get better quality that what what we could get with permanent signings. Holgate doesn't improve the XI. So for me, this only makes sense if we have a couple of permanent signings lined up.

He would be 2nd choice at RCB, 2nd choice at LCB and 3rd choice at RWB. With only two loan slots available, is this an ideal signing? I thought the idea of loans is to get better quality that what what we could get with permanent signings. Holgate doesn't improve the XI. So for me, this only makes sense if we have a couple of permanent signings lined up.
We don't know what Hecki has planned ! Said himself we have to be cute the way we spend the budget shall
we wait and see what he turns up !!

Since Wilder left we haven't used either LCB or RCB as an attacking threat in the same way.

Granted Anel gets forward occasionally, but its not the centre piece of our attacking threat as it was previously. PH using players either side of centre forward has negated this and changed our build up play slightly.

Working with the restraints we have, the tactics, then I think this signing is a no-brainer (I'd rather it be permanent in all honesty) - he has pace, play anywhere in defence, has played LCB, prem experience, right age, worked with PH. Ticks alot of boxes. To dismiss because he's not left footed is being a bit naive.
Like I've said previously, is they even that many left footed CBs around? Or even available? JOC was a rare quality.

Be a decent signing but would probably signal Bash leaving given he covers the exact same positions. RCB, RWB and potentially into midfield. It's certainly an upgrade but whether it's the best use of limited funds remains to be seen.

I’ve always liked Holgate so I would go for this.
Good player. Seems an add area of the pitch to be recruiting in though. Can only mean that there is a plan to play Anel in the centre of the three longer term.

Not a player or position that I’d have wanted us to prioritise. But, some reasons for optimism:

- Hecky knows the player and worked with him at Barnsley. We know that Hecky’s coaching can improve players / get them back on track. McBurnie, Berge & McAtee are good examples.

- There’s a player in Holgate and he’s still only 26. Few players have flourished at the Everton car crash.

- Holgate is versatile and I hope he is seen as a starter. Not sure if he can play LCB (a key area for upgrade), or even if we shift Anel to CB and Egan to LCB. Could be too much shuffling though…

I’m not convinced but will back Hecky on this one. At his best, Holgate was an excellent prospect and I prefer him to the Coady rumours.

You would suspect this would be a loan with a view to buy at lower price, as he's out of contract summer '25. That could be formally or informally, and I'd assume which league we're in will make a difference too.

Back
Top Bottom