CONFIRMED Mason Holgate

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You would suspect this would be a loan with a view to buy at lower price, as he's out of contract summer '25. That could be formally or informally, and I'd assume which league we're in will make a difference too.
Yeah I have its announced as a 'Loan with a view...' type of thing.

Not a player or position that I’d have wanted us to prioritise. But, some reasons for optimism:

- Hecky knows the player and worked with him at Barnsley. We know that Hecky’s coaching can improve players / get them back on track. McBurnie, Berge & McAtee are good examples.

- There’s a player in Holgate and he’s still only 26. Few players have flourished at the Everton car crash.

- Holgate is versatile and I hope he is seen as a starter. Not sure if he can play LCB (a key area for upgrade), or even if we shift Anel to CB and Egan to LCB. Could be too much shuffling though…

I’m not convinced but will back Hecky on this one. At his best, Holgate was an excellent prospect and I prefer him to the Coady rumours.
Says he also wants to return to Yorkshire to be nearer to family.

I’ve always liked Holgate so I would go for this.
Good player. Seems an add area of the pitch to be recruiting in though. Can only mean that there is a plan to play Anel in the centre of the three longer term.
I said before that Anel in the middle and two fast fuckers either side would be the way forward..... Holgate could be the one on the right, maybe RND on the left. Has the look of a top level sort of defence

I've often thought (dangerous I know) that we should sign another RCB/CB and move Egan to LCB

Holgate on the right with Anel in the middle and Egan on the left wouldn't be too shoddy, at least until RND is fit
agree with you on this if holgate comes in hes an automatic starter for me anel is definetly better than egan at centre back so just move egan to lcb even out of position its an upgrade there on robinson

I've often thought (dangerous I know) that we should sign another RCB/CB and move Egan to LCB

Holgate on the right with Anel in the middle and Egan on the left wouldn't be too shoddy, at least until RND is fit
The left side is our weaker side. I'd not want our slowest centre back playing there. He'd be done for pace (he also needs no encouragement to go forward!).

Hes been trying to buy a house (mansion) in the Retford-Tickhill area for over a year now.

Any fan turning their noses up at this signing need to give their heads a wobble !
As ever UTB !
In isolation, Holgate will improve the squad. But there is something to be said for context. We have been told there is limited funds available and loads of positions to fill. In terms of transfer priority I would rank the positions as such:

1. Tommy Doyle
2. Creative midfielder
3. LWB*
4. LCB*
5. ST
6. Ball winning midfielder
7. GK
8. CB/RCB cover

I'll be happy if we sign him, he can cover both 6 and 8. I think the concern will come if it is at the expense of other positions of need. If Max Lowe is starting against Palace with Holgate on the bench then this move will look a bit silly. We've needed to fix the LWB position since coming back from covid lockdown.

*we can probably get away with just one of these if RND is going to be fit, but personally I wouldn't plan for that this season.

Ridiculously stupid idea signing Holgate, especially on loan as we can only have 2 prem loans.
He also plays on the right of a back 3, which funnily enough, is one of only 3 positions we don’t need to improve going into next season.
I really hope we aren’t paying the full 50k a week he’s on.

He played on the left when he was played under ancellotti a fair bit

LCB is one of the main ones we do need to improve

I’d say it’s a very good idea 👍

A mate of mine in my local who's a STH at Everton thinks he's fucking useless so I'm not bothered if this one turns out not to be completed
Everton fans aren't the most reliable of judges. They are hounding a board who have spent more than half a billion and employed arguably one of the greatest managers in history. Yet they threaten a chairman and former legend who both love the club.

Holgate would be decent cover at the back and in midfield so not a bad signing if he can recover form. Hardcore toffees I know say he has been poor for a while though.

Not happy with it being a loan. I thought he was out of contract end of the season. Best to take on his contract than use a loan up

Defensively I don't think a left footed LCB is essential. But a big part of how we play is the 20 yard pass from the wide CB to the WB to try and move the opposition around to try and find spaces. Generally needs to be a firm pass and it'd be an instant problem if it goes astray.

Not a game changer but something that would be noticeable with a right footer there

Back
Top Bottom