John Lundstram

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Another thread on him really! I'm starting to feel sorry for him, and I think hes rubbish!

I cant wait to hear the groans on the internet and in the stands when Lundstram gets selected to play at Bournemouth and many more games to follow.

We are generally going to lose most games in the Prem,so playing Lundstram wont matter,just get used to the idea,sit back enjoy the spectacle of the Prem and all the jewels that will be on show in opposition teams,it will be memorable.

The Championship still looks exciting watching the Quest highlights.

I think we'd all take a 0-0 on Saturday.

The last three times we turned to Lundstram:

Brentford 3-2 away win
Reading 2-0 away win
Bristol C 0-1 away defeat

There's obviously more behind those results (he was subbed at half time at Reading, at 0-0). It was 2-2 when he went off at Brentford. At Bristol City we conceded a late goal following a corner.

Nevertheless, it's not been a disaster when he's started, and there are reasons for not being too adventurous from the start in our opening game, away at a very fast side that breaks well.

Can't argue with Wilders credentials or performance over his entire career, but everyone has a blind spot and Lunny appears to be CWs.
Wasn't good enough in League 1. Wasn't good enough in Championship, Not quite found his level in preseason games against low level opposition (although he held his own against non league Chesterfield).
Even the best of our players are going to find it a big step up in the Premier League and JL is clearly nowhere near the best of our players or there would not be the amount of concern expressed by so many people.
In League 1 and two campaigns in the Championship we had the luxury of being able to get off to a slow start and recover, there will be no such luxury afforded in the Premier League.

I've absolutely no problem with anyone having a different opinion but some are reacting like hes already fucked up big time against Bournemouth. presuming hell start.
Arrested. Tried. Hung. Before committing any offence.

It's more the contrast between last year and this. Last year he looked well off the pace as we were promoted from championship. How is he therefore now in contention for s starting role in the premier league?

And it's not just that, it's that his presence in the side reflects a change of system. If he's in, we're a flat midfield, we don't play our usual way.

It's the direct contrast between last season we were dynamic, we had Mark Duffy, we were at it, playing our usual way. Now, Lundstram, without wanting to adhere to scapegoating of a specific individual reflects the total opposite to Duffy and that style of play.

After all, that's what we all want to see: Tuftyball taken to the big boys, starting with Bournemouth. There's a good chance it would work against Bournemouth too. Lundstram reflects a system where we play it safe instead.

In a way it’s sad to see one or two reduced to moaning on the Lunny thread since the board have performed so well in the transfer window!

giphy.gif

I think we'd all take a 0-0 on Saturday.

The last three times we turned to Lundstram:

Brentford 3-2 away win
Reading 2-0 away win
Bristol C 0-1 away defeat

There's obviously more behind those results (he was subbed at half time at Reading, at 0-0). It was 2-2 when he went off at Brentford. At Bristol City we conceded a late goal following a corner.

Nevertheless, it's not been a disaster when he's started, and there are reasons for not being too adventurous from the start in our opening game, away at a very fast side that breaks well.
Not quite sure how Lundstram is the answer to fast sides that break well??

We have always had whipping boys at the Lane. John Gannon springs to mind as a player that strongly divided opinion. Bob Booker ,initially, was another. And so was Chris Basham, again initially.
Now its Lundstrums turn.
If he can put a few more tackles like the one he did on (wonder kid/sun shines out of his arse) Jack Grealish maybe opinions will become less polarised.

It's more the contrast between last year and this. Last year he looked well off the pace as we were promoted from championship. How is he therefore now in contention for s starting role in the premier league?

And it's not just that, it's that his presence in the side reflects a change of system. If he's in, we're a flat midfield, we don't play our usual way.

It's the direct contrast between last season we were dynamic, we had Mark Duffy, we were at it, playing our usual way. Now, Lundstram, without wanting to adhere to scapegoating of a specific individual reflects the total opposite to Duffy and that style of play.

After all, that's what we all want to see: Tuftyball taken to the big boys, starting with Bournemouth. There's a good chance it would work against Bournemouth too. Lundstram reflects a system where we play it safe instead.

Good post.
Seems certain that Wilder has a plan regards Lundstrum, so we should wipe the slate clean and see what happens.
If Wilder gives him a few games then make a judgement based on the tactics and opposition.

I just remember Montgomery who was crap (ability wise) in the Championship, probably more league 1 standard.
Then weirdly his anti-football style actually made him effective in the PL where his stock surprisingly increased when other midfielders found him tough.

We have always had whipping boys at the Lane. John Gannon springs to mind as a player that strongly divided opinion. Bob Booker ,initially, was another. And so was Chris Basham, again initially.
Now its Lundstrums turn.
If he can put a few more tackles like the one he did on (wonder kid/sun shines out of his arse) Jack Grealish maybe opinions will become less polarised.
Oooh ahhhhh. We just want hard tacklers in midfield. Actual football talent? Not interested pal. Wheyyy big hard tackles. Tek that ya cunt.

Fuck it. Why don’t we just line up with Morgs and Vinnie Jones in centre mid?

Now its Lundstrums turn.
“Oh yes remember that tackle oh yes who needs a number 10 playmaker when we can purr lunny on so we can graft and hoof our way to the top GERRA FOORRRIN AND GERRABART STOP FANNYING ABART WITH THIS TIPPY TAPPY SHITE AND FOoKIN SLAM EM FOoKIN SHOOOT!!!” 😒

It's mainly an extra body across midfield that helps covering ground and protect the defence.
My point was he's slow & always appears the last of the midfield 3 to get back behind the ball when the opposition attacks.
I honestly hope he proves everyone wrong & I really tried to get behind his selection yesterday but the longer the game went on the harder it became.

“Oh yes remember that tackle oh yes who needs a number 10 playmaker when we can purr lunny on so we can graft and hoof our way to the top GERRA FOORRRIN AND GERRABART STOP FANNYING ABART WITH THIS TIPPY TAPPY SHITE AND FOoKIN SLAM EM FOoKIN SHOOOT!!!” 😒
“Oh I do rate him ah Lunny”

“We lost 7-1 uncle Pete”

“Ah but what about when Lunny almost put Fernandinho in hospital it were reyt good that”

“But he mistimed his tackle, Fernandinho skipped by him and slid it through to Jesus to make it 6”

“Ahhh”

The 3-5-1-1 system is the problem. We need three mobile players with quick feet, all interchangeable capable of getting up and down the field, quick minds and able to get a foot in. The only 1 of the three yesterday who meets those requirements IMO is Fleck. Morrison has the ability to play there but is not up to speed.

Yesterday Reims did what the better teams in the Championship did last season when we adopted this. They press Fleck and Norwood and with Lundstram back there as well it all becomes cluttered and we resort to hoof ball.

For that reason I don't know why we are experimenting again at the beginning of the season. 3-4-1-2 is our formation. 3-4-2-1 being an option away. We have the players that fit these systems. Duffy is a miss but Freeman, Mcg and Robinson are all able to play 10. We have looked much better pre season when a 10 has been on the field but thats has usually been after an hour. I don't recall us starting a pre season game 3-4-1-2. I could be wrong.

Bournemouth away will be a benchmark as to how we are going to fare this season. I put them amongst 6 or 7 teams who will be battling to avoid the drop. For me its a 6 pointer and I'd rather we give it a go and pick a system that suits the players we currently have.

He's no Duffy.

And currently, that's who's spot he's taking. Whilst Freeman (the new Duffy) is on the bench, having been our record signing earlier in the summer.

It seems that you (and to be fair a few others like you) feel that you know more about football and football management than Chris Wilder and Alan Knill. Interesting, but wouldn't it be better to wait and see how it pans out before you try and secure your position at top coach in SY, I suspect that you might have a battle on your hands.

Where have I ever said I know more about football management than CW and AK? Your comment to me suggests Wilder and Knill are perfect and can't be criticised (or in this case their team selections can't be criticised). In reality they make mistakes, just like everyone, in every walk of life. I'm a fan of Wilder and Knill and most of the time they are spot on, hence 2 promotions in 3 seasons with us, but I'm entitled to my opinion on the players (as is everyone else connected with the club) and my opinion is Lundstrum aint good enough. Wilder has been down this route before with JL getting selected, he generally doesn't play well and the team performance and results drop off. CW then drops Lundstrum brings Duffy back and hey presto we're back playing well and winning again.

Gray I used to have you down as one of the more balanced posters on here but in recent times the slightest hint of criticism aimed at the club, management, players, et al and you totally overreact and spit the dummy out. Or that's how it appears to me. It is actually healthy to be critical. I'm sure CW gives the team, individual players, etc absolute rollockings when needed (Hull away a couple of seasons being a prime example).

The 3-5-1-1 system is the problem. We need three mobile players with quick feet, all interchangeable capable of getting up and down the field, quick minds and able to get a foot in. The only 1 of the three yesterday who meets those requirements IMO is Fleck. Morrison has the ability to play there but is not up to speed.

Yesterday Reims did what the better teams in the Championship did last season when we adopted this. They press Fleck and Norwood and with Lundstram back there as well it all becomes cluttered and we resort to hoof ball.

For that reason I don't know why we are experimenting again at the beginning of the season. 3-4-1-2 is our formation. 3-4-2-1 being an option away. We have the players that fit these systems. Duffy is a miss but Freeman, Mcg and Robinson are all able to play 10. We have looked much better pre season when a 10 has been on the field but thats has usually been after an hour. I don't recall us starting a pre season game 3-4-1-2. I could be wrong.

Bournemouth away will be a benchmark as to how we are going to fare this season. I put them amongst 6 or 7 teams who will be battling to avoid the drop. For me its a 6 pointer and I'd rather we give it a go and pick a system that suits the players we currently have.
Agree with much of your post but it's the first match of the season, NOT a six pointer! Pretty sure Duffy's done in Wilder's eyes so time to move on I'm afraid.

It seems that you (and to be fair a few others like you) feel that you know more about football and football management than Chris Wilder and Alan Knill. Interesting, but wouldn't it be better to wait and see how it pans out before you try and secure your position at top coach in SY, I suspect that you might have a batt

My point was he's slow & always appears the last of the midfield 3 to get back behind the ball when the opposition attacks.
I honestly hope he proves everyone wrong & I really tried to get behind his selection yesterday but the longer the game went on the harder it became.

The argument even for counter attacks against is that he's less likely to be in a attacking position high up the pitch when our attacks break down.

We have tried adding mobility and forwards with the ability to create chances for themselves to compensate for the defensive "flat midfield" tweak.

I don’t like to be negative but how is Lundstram even being considered for a place in our squad/lineup when his influence on the team is so poor. We cannot afford to play him and then realise this after 2 or 3 poor games
only wilder and knilly know .. it is a cunning plan.. IWWT ;)

I'm un decided about Lundstrum. I think him having good games against Chez and Northampton are not any sort of measure of how he will fair in the PL. My gut feeling says he isnt good enough and I honestly thought he'd be leaving this summer.

Agree with the poster about the system. We will need to play to our strengths, especially at home against the weaker teams and that means someone in the Duffy role.

Some of you can sugar coat it as much as you want, Lundstrum should be nowhere near the first team, especially in the top tier.

I don't like to criticise our players unless it is necessary but Lundstrum being in or around the first team picture one week before the start of this season is ridiculous.

He wasn't good enough last season or the season before in the Championship and he's not now. Do we have to go through this farce every season at this time of year. CW plays him, the team play very poorly and lose, a couple of games later CW realises this and brings Duffy back in, team start playing well and we win.

Maybe this time Duffy won't be coming back though.

Lundstrum is not Premier League standard and he was barely Championship standard to start with.

And for your record, I don't 'hate' any Sheffield United player. It's ridiculous to suggest we do.

This "hate" accusation everytime you disagree with something or someone has got to be the most pathetic and infantile introduction into the language this century. It was originally conceived as an apt description of discrimination against gays and ethnics and so on, fair enough, but now it is used to rally support for any spurious cause and to shut down argument.

I think Lundstram is a crap player in the same way I thought Collins, McEveley, Hammond, Sammon et al were crap players. Guess what? I don't hate any of them and neither do I hate Wilson, Clough or Adkins let alone Wilder or Knill. I just happen to have an opinion, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom