CONFIRMED Daniel Lafferty - permanent 2.5 year deal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade58

Once a Blade, always a daft ****
Reaction score
FL92Transfer ‏@FL92Transfer 2h2 hours ago

Sheffield United are set to sign defender Daniel Lafferty on a permanent deal #twitterblades #sufc

C1RAqVJWIAAeBV9.jpg

I know this lad splits opinion but personally I would be happy to see him stay. Been pretty solid of late, but needs to work on his crossing. Freeman leaves him for dead in that respect.

More than happy with this if true.
Consistency is key to promotion, and he's been a cog in the mechanism since his arrival.
Well done tufty, just eel to perm down now and another striker.

I realise he's likely to improve but I've not been convinced by him to date - I expected Riley to replace him if he's signed.

He's rated as L1 level by Burnley with a smallish chance of improving to Champ level, which from what I've seen is pretty much bang on.
looked a little unsteady of late but i also trust chris and think its a very good signing if we do get riley might just push lafferty to improve more

One thing I'd like to see Lafferty do more of is burst into the box & be a goal-threat (like Freeman's doing now & like Lafferty himself was doing a couple of months back). But would be pleased if he signed - he's very consistent & solid.

Also, in what could be a historic season, he's a link with our past - Derry, candystripes, Billy Gillespie...

Rank average for me and if we are looking for signings to do well in the Championship I wouldn't be signing him beyond his loan agreement.
Thats the problem for me, happy to see him here for the rest of the season on loan but would reckon (if) we win promotion we need somebody better, what sort of contract is he on? Hopefully 18 months, no more.

Been A perfectly respectable component of one of the better league 1 defences this season.

Not an outstanding player and never going to be in the freeman mould but not let us down at all. can see the logic in signing him.

I have a feeling he's slightly less suited to wing back compared to full back. But our formation may well change at some point, and Lafferty's been fine overall.

Was about to post the same. He's said himself he isn't used to being asked to play in such an attacking manner. I imagine he would look better in a back 4. If we get this Riley kid then we a genuine wing back and a genuine left back

He gets through a tremendous amount of work down the left hand side but his final ball lets him down

If the package is right for the club then i would be happy enough for Utd to sign this lad up permanently. Hopefully either an 18 month contract or a maximum of 2.5 years deal. No longer than that though.

Solid pro who will give you a steady performance week in week out. Whilst not of the same level admittedly, i recall Dennis Irwin at Man Utd was just a very steady eddie who gave Fergie a 7 out of 10 performance in the league every week. On a lower scale i could see Lafferty doing similar for Utd and he is a natural left footed player. I like him and think there's plenty more to come from him and that he will get better with us over time. As hes out of contract in the summer i think its a formality that he will come in permanently this window too. Would be a solid signing.

When u look at what weve had over the recent years at left back (Mceveley, Harris, Taylor, etc) you realise that perhaps those not wanting Laffs are perhaps just being a tad greedy. We are still only a div 1 club after all - well at least for the next 5 months anyway... ;)

No reason why not on an 18 month deal as long as we don't have to pay any fee - he's out of contract in the summer.

As a starting point at left back we could do much worse - just think back to McEveley. Maybe he'd only be cover in the Championship but he'd be good cover as he's versatile.

He had a good game yesterday and I like him. Not many goals come down his side and he was unlucky with a couple of crosses right infront of me in the 2nd half.

It's an area we should be looking to improve in. Ship Hussey out, relegate Lafferty to the bench and bring in someone decent - this kid Joe Riley looks the nuts if we can make that one happen.

He gets through a tremendous amount of work down the left hand side but his final ball lets him down
And his first touch is a backpass or a tackle - but apart from that he's consistently average.

I like the lad.... What he may lack in technical ability he makes up for in work rate. I understand that that's not the only thing you need to be successful but I can't remember him costing us goals or losing us a game like McEverley used to do every 7.5 minutes.

I'm not convinced and think we could bring in a better quality player in his position with one eye on next season. Can't see him being good enough for the step up

I have a feeling he's slightly less suited to wing back compared to full back. But our formation may well change at some point, and Lafferty's been fine overall.

I was wondering if the arrival of Carruthers will force a formation change?!

I was wondering if the arrival of Carruthers will force a formation change?!

I think the samir signing gives us more in game changes especially at home. Currently we have the trick of moving basham into midfield but this would provide something different who can float wide unlike scougs

Burnley must be letting him go for nothing.

Agree, Laferty is Mr Steady Eddie.

Some would see that take as underwhelming (a negative)
Whilst others see that as a complement (a positive).

He does slip under the radar because he's pretty consistent
Rarely does anything good but also rarely makes mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom