CONFIRMED John Fleck joins Blackburn Rovers permanently

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'll always remember an interview I watched with Egan (I think) where he was asked who the best player in training was.

He instantly said Fleck. He said they would play games in training - 5 a side, 7 a side, 11 a side - and Fleck's team would win every time. Then he would switch on to the other team and they would start winning.

Niggling injuries and a lack of game time have meant he's not the player he once was. But as others have said, for 4-5 years he was arguably the best player at the club and in every division he played in.

How long will it be before some on here want to sign him back again

Fleck was consistently good for us from 2016 through to covid.
I believe Fleck had covid that winter/spring of 2020 and he never really came back the same. (To be fair alot of the squad didn't)
He then seemed to suffer more injuries 2nd PL season and since and of course had that seizure on the pitch vs Reading away.

Has had a few decent performances since, probably his best coming Forest A play off semi where he was like his old self.
Hopefully he can get himself fit and sharp and do well at Rovers!

How long will it be before some on here want to sign him back again
Hate to say it but I'd actually forgot he was still here.

Absolute legend though. One of my favourite ever Blades. That period from L1 through to the PL he was simply fantastic.

GLTTL …Wish all the best to Flecky , played a big part in our recent history.. will always be welcome at The Lane ⚔️ … the free kick at The Sty 🚀🎯🐷🔫

A big part of the greatest Blades team I'll probably ever see.

Henderson
Stevens
Basham
Egan
O'Connell
Baldock
Norwood
Fleck
Lundstram
McGoldrick
Sharp
Being pedantic, brutal and I think fair............Mousset (circa Burnley/Man Utd home games) in for Sharp and then you're bang on.

Forever remembered for bouncing day contribution . Good luck stay healthy

Henderson
Stevens
Basham
Egan
O'Connell
Baldock
Norwood
Fleck
Lundstram
McGoldrick
Sharp
Strange how teams gradually get put together and turn into something special, then fade away, at the time that side was seen very much as ‘journeymen’ (paper on the wall and all that) but in its prime and with peak Wilder it was absolutely phenomenal- especially compared to our current team

Has to be in with a shout as our greatest "Free" signing, if not of all time, then certainly of the last 20+ years. What an absolute maestro he was in that spell between L1 and Covid. He was bossing international midfields in the first PL season 19/20 for fun.

A supremely talented footballer in his pomp...always thought he was better than McGinn at Villa while Fleck was at his peak.

All the very best to him, really hope he can recover proper form and fitness and have a lengthy and enjoyable twilight to his career.

All this fuss , We've only sold John ❤️ , we still have Jimmy 😍

Very good player for us, almost unplayable at his absolute peak. That little burst to take him away from a player with apparent ease. Bit disappointed for him that he’s only secured a six month contract with Blackburn. Hopefully he finds s bit of form for a longer contract either with them or someone else to see out a very good career

Henderson
Stevens
Basham
Egan
O'Connell
Baldock
Norwood
Fleck
Lundstram
McGoldrick
Sharp
Genuine question - were these 11 players ever on the pitch at the same time?

Henderson was here for 18/19 and 19/20.

One of Duffy, K.Freeman, Clarke was usually on the pitch in 18/19, and Lundstram barely played.

In 19/20 Lundstram started playing but at least a couple from L.Freeman, Mousset, McBurnie, Osborn, C.Robinson, Berge were in the team.

Lovely story off x ----

Syd and i met flecky in club shop on a quiet Tuesday, he asked if she could kick a ball…he spent 10-15 mins just rolling a ball to her and getting her to kick it back..asked about her and how she was..he became my hero that day..took time out to make her feel normal

Genuine question - were these 11 players ever on the pitch at the same time?

Henderson was here for 18/19 and 19/20.

One of Duffy, K.Freeman, Clarke was usually on the pitch in 18/19, and Lundstram barely played.

In 19/20 Lundstram started playing but at least a couple from L.Freeman, Mousset, McBurnie, Osborn, C.Robinson, Berge were in the team.
For 10 mins against Burnley in 2019, Sharp came on for Mousset on 65' and McGoldrick went off on 75'.

Wish him all the best at Blackburn and for the rest of his career. Got to be one of the best signings we've ever done, certainly an argument for the best free transfer the club has ever had, albeit a Bosman type free rather than a player that was released by a previous club. It's a shame the last couple of years haven't seen Fleck at his best, injuries have definitely taken their tole on him. The way he drove through midfield was marvellous to watch and a huge asset during his time with United.

Definitely in the best Sheffield United 11 I've ever seen in my time supporting the club. That first season in the premier league he was unplayable until the injury he sustained, he never seemed the same player after that sadly but that's immaterial to how good he was before. It's a shame the fans haven't been able to give him a proper send off like Didzy had but that's not always possible. Speaking of Didzy, he's got to be the best free transfer we ever had in the true sense of a free transfer.

Five foot six, hard as fuck and one of the best midfielders to ever play for The Blades in modern times.

There has been some unkind stuff written about John Fleck since he was awarded a contract extension last summer but it's good to see so many heartfelt messages to him on this forum today.

Flecky has been a tremendous and inspirational player for us and at times, was simply unstoppable.

Good luck Flecky lad, and thanks for some wonderful memories.

What spoilt bell end thought it clever mimick him Jimmy????? Good luck The Fleckster. What a player. Embodied everything that being a Blade is. Doing it on the pitch, ferociously, with skill, class and style, consistently for five years.

I'll always remember an interview I watched with Egan (I think) where he was asked who the best player in training was.

He instantly said Fleck. He said they would play games in training - 5 a side, 7 a side, 11 a side - and Fleck's team would win every time. Then he would switch on to the other team and they would start winning.

Niggling injuries and a lack of game time have meant he's not the player he once was. But as others have said, for 4-5 years he was arguably the best player at the club and in every division he played in.
Think I remember that interview too but it was with McBurnie, not Egan?

The official & final end of the holy trinity. Probably a season or 2 too late, but good god what a player he’s been for us.

Good luck Flecky - always be welcome back to Bramall Lane

Long-serving John Fleck has left the Blades on transfer deadline day.

The midfielder - a star of promotions from League One and the Championship - has joined Blackburn Rovers on a permanent deal.

Fleck, 32, a winner of a number of Player of the Year awards, registered his final Blades appearance in the December encounter with Liverpool.

The Scottish international was one of the first signings by Chris Wilder in the summer of 2016 and went on make significant contributions on the journey to the Premier League.

He made a total of 278 appearances for the Blades, scoring 16 goals in his seven and a half years with the club.

Best wishes, Flecky
He will always be close to our hearts - what a player ... got a blinding free kick V The Pigs to boot. A perfect time to go - good luck to him. I'd always buy him a beer

What spoilt bell end thought it clever mimick him Jimmy????? Good luck The Fleckster. What a player. Embodied everything that being a Blade is. Doing it on the pitch, ferociously, with skill, class and style, consistently for five years.

It was Wilder who coined the name JImmy Fleck.

Thank you John Fleck you gave us some great memories
Goal v Dum Pigs 🐷 on bouncing day
Goal away v Arsenal
Our 3 promotions
But my abiding memory is after the Chesterfield 100 point season game , and still being on London road with my good friend PB , we were in Barrel and Fleckie - Billy and Bash were behind the bar and
John Fleck handed me over a pint ( I did pay for it btw )
I have it somewhere on video I’ll try to put it on here
All the best John - Jimmy always welcome back
Please do, I might be lurking about in the background somewhere, as I was in there when they came in.

Back
Top Bottom