CONFIRMED Daniel Lafferty - permanent 2.5 year deal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree, Laferty is Mr Steady Eddie.

Some would see that take as underwhelming (a negative)
Whilst others see that as a complement (a positive).

He does slip under the radar because he's pretty consistent
Rarely does anything good but also rarely makes mistakes.
true but i thought the way the formation works is that our full backs are essentially attacking players and the role would be more suited to a player such as freeman (hence the goals) and a player that riley appears to be. Not a bad signing if it's cheap but I'd be looking for him to be back up to an attacking wing back to come on if were up against it.

true but i thought the way the formation works is that our full backs are essentially attacking players and the role would be more suited to a player such as freeman (hence the goals) and a player that riley appears to be. Not a bad signing if it's cheap but I'd be looking for him to be back up to an attacking wing back to come on if were up against it.
Think long term. We probably won't use 352 next season if we go up.

whys that?
It wasn't CW's preferred formation but he's adopted it as he's realised it suits our current players in this league.

I like the formation but you really need players who are better than the opposition for it to be fully effective. Otherwise, you get too exposed.

I think in the Championship, we won't have the quality compared with our rivals for it to work as well. Bristol City found this when they went up under Cotterill. So I suspect CW will change formations if we go up. This might upset a few, as some of our players won't be able to cope. I say some but I really mean Coutts, who I just can't see in a 4231, unless it's a Van Gaal style 4231, the dull as fuck defensive way, as opposed to the Spurs type high press, high energy, super-athletic 4231.

Which is why I think he's signed Carruthers; to make the two CMs in a 4231 with Fleck.

Just my thoughts though and interpretation of events, not ITK in any way.

Not one person has mentioned all the unseen work this lad does, I mean come on!

This off a Burnley message board made me chuckle -

Re: ARTICLE: Lafferty set to make permanent Blades moveby Woodleyclaret » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:48 pm

£1m is about right .We are Premier league and must demand top money even for reserves.After all Danny is a full international well regarded .

Suspect this bloke isn't on the same wavelength as CW

Jesus Christ... this guy supports Burnley, yet loses all touch with reality regarding transfer fees below the PL to the extent that he thinks they could get £1m for Lafferty!

Does he not know that it boils down to what the buying club are prepared to pay?

Does he not know Lafferty has 6 months left on his contract?

The guy a couple of replies further down is more on the money.... "I doubt we'll get a fee at all".

This off a Burnley message board made me chuckle -

Re: ARTICLE: Lafferty set to make permanent Blades moveby Woodleyclaret » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:48 pm

£1m is about right .We are Premier league and must demand top money even for reserves.After all Danny is a full international well regarded .

Suspect this bloke isn't on the same wavelength as CW

Just had a look on there, they seem to rate him quite highly, more so than a fair few Blades fans it seems

Wilder says:

"He comes on a free with a sell-on, and bits and pieces if he lands on the moon."

So as expected, it's a free transfer but is it necessary to give them a sell on and risk additional payments no matter how small or unlikely when we could've waited until the summer and got him on a free?

I suppose being here permanently will only help him feel more settled here, and it cuts our number of loanees.

I will say it again.
Nothing wrong with this lads technical ability, he keeps the ball pretty well and is comfortable receiving it deep in his own half.can pass it quickly and accurately.
He gets involved going forward and is pretty quick while being brave and strong in the tackle.
Weakness is no doubt his crossing and final ball. Watching him I would say he gets around 4/10 right. This needs improving.,,,and with practice it will. It's nothing that cant be worked on and improve.

So, for me a good signing, a good fit for the team and the club. A player we can use for the length of his contract.
I like him so give the kid a break and back him.

I will say it again.
Nothing wrong with this lads technical ability, he keeps the ball pretty well and is comfortable receiving it deep in his own half.can pass it quickly and accurately.
He gets involved going forward and is pretty quick while being brave and strong in the tackle.
Weakness is no doubt his crossing and final ball. Watching him I would say he gets around 4/10 right. This needs improving.,,,and with practice it will. It's nothing that cant be worked on and improve.

So, for me a good signing, a good fit for the team and the club. A player we can use for the length of his contract.

Not just practice. Some players take a while to settle in. If he becomes perm then he might move over, might have family. I feel like the best is still to come with Lafferty

I will say it again.

His cross for Chapman v Bristol Rovers won us 3 points and I agree it can still improve. He's a good player and good enough for next season in the Championship.

He occasionally dithers on the ball, allowing opposition players to close him down and surround him, forcing him to pass backwards, but he does get forward a lot, crosses some low balls in (which we need with that lack of height up front) and is steady, rather than spectacular.

Needs to take a deep breath and shoot, if closing in on goal and no other options.

I think he's a very good signing and will be solid at LB in the Championship, should we go up.

He's not a natural WB so it has taken him some time to get better in that role. He's a better fullback, but he's a consistent performer.

As confirmed by Burnley: http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/...lafferty-completes-blades-switch-3517605.aspx

Danny Lafferty has completed a permanent move to Sheffield United for an undisclosed fee.

Lafferty has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the League One leaders following a successful loan move from the Clarets.

The Northern Ireland international has made 21 league appearances for the Blades, only once ending on the losing side, since heading to Bramall Lane at the end of August.

Lafferty's permanent switch to South Yorkshire ends a four-year stay at Turf Moor for the former Derry City full-back, who has also had loan spells at Rotherham United and Oldham Athletic.

The 27-year-old a total of 45 appearances for Burnley, including 10 in the Championship in 2013/14 to help Sean Dyche's side secure promotion to the Premier League.

Pleased. Hes a good lad and if CW wants him thats good enough for me. He will be a decent steady eddie for us and i got the jist from CWs comments that he had probably took a pay reduction to come to the Lane as he wants to play for us rather than just taking the pay cheque at Burnley.

On a free transfer its top business.

Good bit of business CW, I'm happy with that, I think next year the championship will suit him more and he will shine, shame Burnley know that too, but I think he will be a constant around the starting 11 for many weeks to come.

Disappointed about this to be honest.

I don't think he's good enough, and certainly not for a 2 and a half year deal.

If we get there, he will struggle big style in the championship.

Great signing. Hopefully he will now settle. Maybe he will have a word with his fellow international fullback now ;)

I think he's under rated because he's not quite a true wingback but I think as an all rounder he's Championship quality.

He's tufty's Woolford.
Steady rather than inspiring. I trust his judgment though.

Back
Top Bottom