Gone Elsewhere Chuba Akpom

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But my point is that he’s not going for £15m it’s about £10.m the prince also said if Hecky wanted a player he could have them In his interview.

It's not a sweet shop...where you walk in a say "I'll buy that and I'll take that...oh and one of those too"
Transfers don't work like that.....if other clubs are desperate to sign him then at what stage do you walk away?
How do you do your business when buying stuff on Ebay that you want.....do you just keep upping you bid until you're the highest bidder?
Any one with common sense should pre set their top valuation and don't be tempted to go beyond it....otherwise you'll get buyers remorse.

There's obviously still a large kitty left but it's for everything, transfers + salaries.
When one door closes for one player, it opens the door for another player.

Think it's vital we don't get robbed, don't get involved in auctions, lets learn from the Brewster and McBurne deals where we overpaid.
Also it's reported that Akpom was offered a 5 year contract by Ajax....that's madness.
Imagine us being in the championship and being forced to pay Akpom big money even when he's 32 year old, we'd be struggling with FFP
and if we wanted to sell him we'd hardly get anything and have to pay off his contract.

Let's not forget Akpom was brillant last season but has underwhelmed every where he's been, he didn't do anything for 2 seasons in a weak-ish Greek league
so he was always going to be a risk, he was a chance of potentially getting a good player on the cheap but it's only a good riskl if he's cheap.
I'd have liked to have bought him but only if the price is right, also it depends what the other options are available....we rightfully move on.

Still feel there is a chance we will sign him, maybe been just agents/ Middlesbrough playing games for money ect

It could be like you say we've got no money. I was just saying whatever the fee agreed with Ajax might be more than what we are prepared to pay (or maybe we would prefer to spend that money on a different player?)
Why all this obsession with Akpom , keep reading he was Heckis top target! But was he!,just guesswork from what I can see.

God knows how this will pan out. Ideally we would want Akpom and Archer for obvious reasons. Being realistic though, we can't have both

Throw in Doyle and McAtee and we wouldn't be far off at that.

Most likely scenario as it stands is that we only get Doyle.

Just had a quick peek over on one of the Ajax forums, and there's remarkably little excitement about this. They're basically asking all the same questions: yes, one good season, but what else; what does he add to this team; with some suggesting it might all be a bit of a smokescreen by his agent to get other clubs to bid.

One thing I noticed though is that one of the people casting doubt on whether this is a good move for Ajax goes by the username "Snake":

View attachment 168261

View attachment 168262
I was sat in a bar in rotterdam when ajax played feyenoord and it got very tasty in the street outside mid 70,s I think

But my point is that he’s not going for £15m it’s about £10.m the prince also said if Hecky wanted a player he could have them In his interview.
Do you think the prince would have wanted to guarantee him 5 years with the wages Ajax have probably given him.

God knows how this will pan out. Ideally we would want Akpom and Archer for obvious reasons. Being realistic though, we can't have both

Throw in Doyle and McAtee and we wouldn't be far off at that.

Most likely scenario as it stands is that we only get Doyle.
In my opinion we need to get both Akpom and Archer, then I'll feel confident that we will actually do something in this league.
I have a sneaky feeling we may do that too.
Maybe that's why someone's put the rumour out about McBurnie, cos he would no longer be first choice if we got both. I do like Oli Mac, but he's in the last year of his contract, I guess he's a top earner, and for me he's too fragile.

You believe the Prince is actively saying what a players value to our club is?
I’d be surprised if he’s actively involved aside from being advised as things progress. He’s set a budget and it’ll be managed by the board and recruitment teams not the owner.
They’ll only need to go back to him if they’re busting the budget and want to go outside of any agreed frameworks.
You don't have dogs and bark yourself.
I think PA got his wallet burnt by Mr wilder, and is probably a bit more involved now

In my opinion we need to get both Akpom and Archer, then I'll feel confident that we will actually do something in this league.
I have a sneaky feeling we may do that too.
Maybe that's why someone's put the rumour out about McBurnie, cos he would no longer be first choice if we got both. I do like Oli Mac, but he's in the last year of his contract, I guess he's a top earner, and for me he's too fragile.
I would love both as well. I just don't think that we have the wonga or would spend the wonga on both if we did.

Would love to be wrong on this though 👍

Akpom and Archer would probably want to continue their partnership as well you'd imagine.

I would love both as well. I just don't think that we have the wonga or would spend the wonga on both if we did.

Would love to be wrong on this though 👍

Akpom and Archer would probably want to continue their partnership as well you'd imagine.

Especially as Leeds are interested.
Normally you’d say we were favourites above Leeds.

However Leeds are just about to sell Tyler Adam’s to Bournmouth for 20 million
So they might be able to tempt Villa or Archer with more money.
However it would need to be a lot higher than our offer…..as surely you’d expect Archer to prefer not to play in the Championship again.
He needs to be playing in the Premier League this season.

It does seem odd this hasn't been wrapped up yet.

I’m half expecting to see another report, probably secretly fed to a media outlet by Akpoms agent

”Akpom passed his medical and goes over to Amsterdam to sign his contract in middle of this week
Sheffield Utd were so close but couldn’t quite match their offer
‘If they want to gazzump the Ajax offer then Sheffield United need to act quick….maybe there’s still a chance as we understand Akpom may prefer to stay in the UK”

As I said it’s like the boy who cried wolf. Bettis must be thinking WTF? How many times can he be told..you’ve been outbid by another club?

Last edited:

Especially as Leeds are interested.
Normally you’d say we were favourites above Leeds.

However Leeds are just about to sell Tyler Adam’s to Bournmouth for 20 million
So they might be able to tempt Villa or Archer with more money.
However it would need to be a lot higher than our offer…..as surely you’d expect Archer to prefer not to play in the Championship again.
He needs to be playing in the Premier League this season.
Just realised Leeds have to abide by Profit and Sustain ability rules, so they might not be able to beat our offer.

I’d imagine the massive hurdle in ALL our offers is the “relegation clause”

Doubt Archer wants to play for us in the Championship
so what if he asks for a Kevin MacDonald style contract….that is massively in his favour.

Villa might agree to sell for £15 million but insist they have a 3 year window where they can buy him back for £25 million.
Would you agree a deal where if Archer is a massive success, then we are forced to sell him back to Villa for a £10 million profit?

Also what if Archer insisted he’ll accept £40K a week but if we’re relegated then we must sell him to any club that offers a cut down £10 million.
So we’ve took the gamble and lost. Would you accept that deal too.

Also Akpom is at an age where he prefers a big contract to be financially secure.
What if he says he’ll accept £30K a week but if Sheff Utd are relegated he still wants £25K a week.
Then we’re risking P&S if we’re relegated followed by points deductions and even administration.
If the Prince is hoping to sell he doesn’t want contracts that put any new owner in a financial mess…if we were back in the Championship.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to sign for Leeds at the moment, literally all the players are walking out the door, they're in deep trouble

Just realised Leeds have to abide by Profit and Sustain ability rules, so they might not be able to beat our offer.

so what if he asks for a Kevin MacDonald style contract….that is massively in his favour.

Villa might agree to sell for £15 million but insist they have a 3 year window where they can buy him back for £25 million.
Would you agree a deal where if Archer is a massive success, then we are forced to sell him back to Villa for a £10 million profit?

Also what if Archer insisted he’ll accept £40K a week but if we’re relegated then we must sell him to any club that offers a cut down £10 million.

Also Akpom is at an age where he prefers a big contract to be financially secure.
What if he says he’ll accept £30K a week but if Sheff Utd are relegated he still wants £25K a week.
Then we’re risking P&S if we’re relegated followed by points deductions and even administration.
If the Prince is hoping to sell he doesn’t want contracts that put any new owner in a financial mess…if we were back in the Championship.
I’d take that deal apart from buying at £15 and selling at £10. I’d at least want the money back if relegated. I’ve got a feeling this will be a loan with buy if we stay up. I think that might suit everyone and releases money for other players.

That's probably my concern too.

With Hamer Archer and Akpom we would likely piss the championship and be big favourites to go straight back up.

But how many of them will have relegation release clauses is anyone's guess.

I’d take that deal apart from buying at £15 and selling at £10. I’d at least want the money back if relegated. I’ve got a feeling this will be a loan with buy if we stay up. I think that might suit everyone and releases money for other players.

Agree…loan to buy….but only if we stay up….with an added buy back clause….so if he turns into a superstar…then Villa have the option to get him back.
It depends how desperate we are…..and to be fair unless there are other options ..we might end up being desperate
It’s a really difficult situation if everyone thinks your club (like SU) is nailed on for relegation.
No one with quality wants to join….unless the contract is stacked in their favour.
Then if we are relegated everyone blames Bettis for agreeing stupid deals….not realising that risking staying up was the only way the deal would be agreed.

Last edited:
100% agree with this. With another year of development I would hope some combination of Jebbo, Osula, Traore, Brewster and Marsh (along with McB and/or Brewster if they stay) will be good enough for the Championship.

A loan with an option if we stay up seems like a good plan. We get a top striker in now and keep him if we stay up plus free up some cash for other signings. If we don't stay up a year with us in the PL should hopefully be good for Archer and increase his value for Villa.

Akpom thread has morphed into Archer thread 😂

You can’t talk about Akpom without talking about Archer ;) Hoping they come as a pair.
Think we all need to be put out of our misery if Akpom is signing for Ajax.
To say everything was all agreed between the clubs and player 2 days ago it’s dragging on a bit.

On the Boro forum it says there was a news feed on Sky Sports News early this morning saying

Akpom on way to Amsterdam ahead of Ajax move
Chuba Akpom is traveling to Amsterdam today for a medical with Ajax.
Middlesbrough are receiving an initial fee of £10m which could rise to £15m.
Akpom is in the final year of his Boro contract.
The Championship club want to bring in another striker to replace him.

One commented they’re pleased he’s joining Ajax as the transfer fee is likely to rise to £15 million
and he says where as if he joined Sheff United he wouldn’t hit his targets, so Boro would probably only receive the basic £10 million from us.

Last edited:
Have we ever gazumped anyone? Ever? 🤔😂
Yes we have. The best story was in 1984 when Derby tried to sign John Burridge and after his last game on loan to them, manager Arthur Cox, knowing that we had offered a contract to Burridge, locked him in a dressing room trying to persuade him to sign for Derby. Burridge then escaped through a window in the dressing room! He then was on his way to us.

Yes we have. The best story was in 1984 when Derby tried to sign John Burridge and after his last game on loan to them, manager Arthur Cox, knowing that we had offered a contract to Burridge, locked him in a dressing room trying to persuade him to sign for Derby. Burridge then escaped through a window in the dressing room! He then was on his way to us.

Buy that man a beer! (if he's still alive)

My head hurts with all those ifs 🤣

One of my favourite ever Blades players. Absolute batshit crazy

Back
Top Bottom