Gone Elsewhere Charlie Patino

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I can’t recall having seen him play (although I must have) but the way you describe him he almost sounds like a Coutts-type.
I think his passing range is probably better than Coutts but he’s very much the type of midfielder that you can give the ball to under pressure and he’ll keep it. He’s still young so probably needs to work on getting stronger but you can see why Arsenal would’ve liked to keep him and why he’s getting high profile interest

I think he’d be a great long term fulcrum for the side although we might lose him after a few years. Also not sure him and Doyle would work well together as I think both are best as the main man but I’d like the chance to be proven wrong on that one.
It sounds like he'd be a Doyle alternative

We'll want to replace Norwood long term, ideally

Looks like a slightly less advanced/direct McAtee. Left footed ping, holds the ball well. Hope we don't spunk the budget but certainly not dog dirt.

I rate him. Be happy with this as a permanent. He’s got good composure on the ball so should be good under the prem pressure. As a loan i think i would prefer Doyle though who i think is better suited to making the step up and we know already works in our set-up.

I rate him. Be happy with this as a permanent. He’s got good composure on the ball so should be good under the prem pressure. As a loan i think i would prefer Doyle though who i think is better suited to making the step up and we know already works in our set-up.
We won’t be getting Patino on loan he’s out his foot down and demanded to leave to get first team football he’s explicitly said he won’t go on loan

Agreed but the thing that makes him standout both when you watch him and in various right ups about him is that his biggest strength is Norwood’s biggest weakness. Patino looks like even at a young age that he’s a press resistant midfielder he seems to have a very good feel for where the pressure is coming from even when it’s behind him and he then has the body and ball control to turn away from it often letting to man pressing him simply run past whilst he’s just out of reach that’s some skill for a lad with not that much first team experience and you’d assume would only get better.

He might not then have the plus athleticism to exploit the hole he’s created himself but he does have the passing range and to be fair if he had the athleticism to go with it we wouldn’t really stand a chance of getting him.

Athleticism is a key attribute at PL level. That to my mind puts a ceiling on Patino.

Athleticism is a key attribute at PL level. That to my mind puts a ceiling on Patino.
It’s a fair point and it might well do I certainly think you’d have to have real box to box players either side of him. He’s in the upgrade on Norwood category for me.

When we’ve been at our best in the flat 3 that’s what we’ve had either side of the fulcrum.

Not every player is lightning fast. I'm not sure Patino is no slouch.

Is it size/strength you're worried about? I feel like he could be phenomenal in our midfield, from what I've seen of him. Think he likes a tackle, plus players are well protected by refs in the Prem.

I'd still like a Nampalys Mendy type as well, to do the real leg work in the middle.

Doyle, Patino, OBrien

That would be our midfield sorted for the next 10 years.
Smallish, very small and small. But not quite as pathetic as some of our Fleck, Osborn and Norwood combos of recent seasons
Wont work at premier level and would only be mid to decent championship level.

Smallish, very small and small. But not quite as pathetic as some of our Fleck, Osborn and Norwood combos of recent seasons
Doesn't mean a great deal does it. Berge is massive and was basically rubbish till last season.

Barcelona and Spain had the best midfield in the world with Xavi and Iniesta and they were both midgets. I agree it might help having one bigger lad out of 3 but doesn't mean they will be crap just cos they are on the small side.

Doesn't mean a great deal does it. Berge is massive and was basically rubbish till last season.

Barcelona and Spain had the best midfield in the world with Xavi and Iniesta and they were both midgets. I agree it might help having one bigger lad out of 3 but doesn't mean they will be crap just cos they are on the small side.

Indeed. When I watch a non league game and the players are trying to keep it on the deck, it's bizarre to think that some here think that PL teams still hoof it

Even at Championship level they average about a couple of goals each, so that's another thing to consider.

Back
Top Bottom