Charlie Staniland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yogi

Reaction score
He’s joined Toronto FC on a permanent deal GLTTL he’s been a bit of a mainstay for the 21’s this season up until recently and I guess this explains where he’s been.

Wonder who the Sheffield connect is in Toronto, that’s Gomes, Staniland and Hassan Ayari signed by them now.

Last edited:
Wonder who the Sheffield connect is in Toronto, that’s Gomes, Staniland and Hassan Ayari signed by them now.
Kevin gage's son was based in Canada for a while with something to do with their league and he's a blade.

That said I think US clubs are pretty active with youth players now. From non league clubs around here teenagers get offers for scholarships in the US and they are levels below even the conference

Kevin gage's son was based in Canada for a while with something to do with their league and he's a blade.

That said I think US clubs are pretty active with youth players now. From non league clubs around here teenagers get offers for scholarships in the US and they are levels below even the conference
He’s based in the US now. Yeh know a few kids who have gone over on scholarships over the years who have been released from clubs academy’s, it’s to college scholarships though not to pro clubs. Great move for any teenager who wasn’t quite good enough here to experience college life and still have an outside chance of getting drafted to the MLS after college.

Gomis seems to be playing for their MLS team and it says that Staniland and Ayari are in the Toronto 2 squad (reserves).

‘MLS Next’ is a poor standard, surprised they wouldn’t go to a lower league English side instead assuming they had the option.

They signed Ayari as well? I remember him being the "next big thing" from the Academy.
I'm sure he left for trials with pigs academy and had a few games there, clearly not pulling up any trees if we wasn't really bothered about seeing him go and pigs didn't want him either.

They signed Ayari as well? I remember him being the "next big thing" from the Academy.
He was talented with lots of tricks in his bag but he started to look a bit lost playing 11 aside for the 18’s and then was really outstripped in the 21’s as others around him kicked on and developed and he just didn’t. It happens.

There are a lot of of talented young players who lack the character to be a first teamer. I used to find it hard to understand when I was younger but usually the coaching staff get it right when it comes to releasing the players at this time of year.

There are a lot of of talented young players who lack the character to be a first teamer. I used to find it hard to understand when I was younger but usually the coaching staff get it right when it comes to releasing the players at this time of year.
United do a good job of helping lads find new opportunities as well where possible and try and do it before the end of season crush when loads of youth players get released and are all looking for new clubs at the same time. It would’ve been very easy for United to keep the likes of Staniland, Smith and others until the end of the year.

I think Charlie’s still only 18 (possibly just turned 19), so maybe not surprising he’s still in the development side of Toronto rather than 1st team.
I think he’s got a great character, which is possibly why he’s been captain in some of the age-group teams he’s played for with us, and part of why he moved up to the under 21’s fairly early.
Most academy players won’t have a career in football, so anyone at that age who has opportunities to keep playing, keep developing, live in a fantastic country, and (hopefully) have an amazing experience as a young man has got to think seriously about taking it I’d guess.
Really hope it works out for him.

Back
Top Bottom