Bristol City fan in peace

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hello from a Bristol City fan in peace.

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted the day before the match.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, top tips for traveling fans, good pubs for away fans, etc, etc.

Look forward to receiving info and to a great game.

It was definitely the biggest robbery I've ever seen us pull of at your place.
It's so rare that we do get a total smash & grab though so it felt immensely satisfying... particularly as it upset Pearson so much.
His post-match comments re: Khadra were the stuff of an arsehole. Can't stand the fella.

Onto the game, I've actually got a feeling you'll get something.
Think a lot of our lads might have half an eye on Wembley and, with the lead we've built up in the league, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of complacency set in.
If we win, I think the top two race is over. Lose and we give Luton a bit of encouragement.

We've not been playing brilliantly of late but have been efficient in getting results. We defend well and we have players that can produce match-winning moments (mostly McAtee and Ndiaye of late). The stuff in between isn't massively inspiring but it's been enough.

OP personally I am pleased by NP, but some are yet to be convinced. He inherited a mess as LJ had spent lots without much of a coherent strategy and he talked a lot of bullshit. NP has addressed the culture, cleared out lots of deadwood, slashed our wage bill, trusted lots of young players and he talks a lot of sense IMO.
All fine points. But he's still a cunt

As mentioned by a previous poster, John Atyeo is the name those of us of a certain age associate with Bristol City. For many years we had the finest centre-half never to win an England cap, Joe Shaw, but it seemed that Atyeo was one of the few centre-forwards he never worked out. For a while it felt as if he always scored against us. I don’t know if the stats bear this out, but Atyeo made my childhood less enjoyable 🤣

As mentioned by a previous poster, John Atyeo is the name those of us of a certain age associate with Bristol City. For many years we had the finest centre-half never to win an England cap, Joe Shaw, but it seemed that Atyeo was one of the few centre-forwards he never worked out. For a while it felt as if he always scored against us. I don’t know if the stats bear this out, but Atyeo made my childhood less enjoyable 🤣
I remember Gerry Gow & John Galley being very decent players for them too back in those days.

Enjoyed the 3 points down at your place...we rode our luck and you probably deserved something. Always hope for a Saturday away day at Bristol but we rarely get one...cracking city with some excellent pubs and decent vibe.

You play some good stuff but I'd feel more concerned if you had something still to play for...I expect 3 points given the importance of the game for us. I'm going 2-0 blades

I found them to have a level of arrogance that is massively unjustified. They’re a nothing club really. They may get some decent results every so often, and may do against us, but they’re just blah. I think if you randomly picked a fan of each championship club and asked them to name a player from each of the other teams, hardly anyone could name a Bristol player.

I found them to have a level of arrogance that is massively unjustified. They’re a nothing club really. They may get some decent results every so often, and may do against us, but they’re just blah. I think if you randomly picked a fan of each championship club and asked them to name a player from each of the other teams, hardly anyone could name a Bristol player.
Only one I could come up with off the top of my head was Naki Wells 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted the day before the match.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, top tips for traveling fans, good pubs for away fans, etc, etc.

I would say that although we’re getting results we aren’t playing massively well as a collective, the score flattered us on Saturday, although we do have players of excellent individual quality so we can be extremely dangerous from seemingly nothing, switch off and you’ll be punished. We should have Anel back on Tuesday and he’s really important to out play. Looking forward to the game, I guess ur boys will be quite relaxed and that can be dangerous for us as you’ll play without fear, whilst we’ve been quite nervy.

3 points for us and thats us up I think.

The following link is about as welcome as rolling around bollock naked in a field full of thistles and nettles but is the only thing that comes to mind regarding the history of this fixture.

Go to the shitting thread for everything you need

I thought you looked pretty decent against Boro, think piggy Nige will be expressing how much he wants a result in this one

Yup, I was there for this one also. It was crazy, the Bristol City fans attacked the Blades fans in the stands, then all hell broke loose as the Blades fans battered the city fans down onto the pitch. Followed by hundreds of city fans running across the pitch to join in from all areas. I remember one particularly portly bloke running all the way across the pitch only to get lamped immediately he joined the fracas, then ran back. The Blades absolutely battered the City fans then they all ran back to safety. It was ludicrous tbh, never seen anything like before or since. Outside afterwards it was like the Alamo. But these were the times, 80s hooliganism. I think there was a story going round at the time that a Blades fan had been stabbed and seriously hurt in Weston Super Mud before the game. But City fans started it in the stands. Most Blades fans were penned in the away end. If they could have got out it would have been even worse. Memories eh!

Goodnight Irene

No real memories of Bristol city, I just remember their squad that did well after promotion from league one. My first encounter with them since watching football so I always associate the likes of Lee Trundle, McIndoe, Byfield, Basso and Bradley Orr with them. Also remember Nick Carle being highly rated by our fans during our desperate for a midfielder after Brown years.

I often looked at the way Bristol city did business and admired it. Sell high and reinvest. Am I right in thinking they haven't had a single year in the premier League during this spell though? Have they been in the championship this entire time? If so that must be fairly dull.

See Roygbiv if you’d approached it this politely, you’d never have been called a weirdo :)

My own memories of Bristol City seem to be of them turning us over at BDTBL with last minute goals, often after we’ve dominated the game. Didn’t Fleck get sent off against them a few seasons ago too or was that against someone else?
Was against them in first season back in the Championship that Fleck got a red .. hit the woodwork 4 times & keeper pulled off to cracking saves & they won in the couple of mins through Flint .
Karma this season when they were far the better team at Ashton gate and we returned the favour .
Also they won 3-2 at the lane in promotion season when Wilder brought Johnson on as wingback and had a mare , Weimann got a hat trick

Last edited:
I've lived in the SW for many years now, though venture to the Lane most games. Most of my Brizzle mates are Gas fans tbh. Gas are more like the Blades, working class, committed locals. City tend to be the "Posh" side of Bristol. Fabulous stadium, built by their financial benefactor. But actually Bristol is more a rugby city than football, probably why there isnt so much passion or drive to get to EPL. The stadium is really for the rugby team.
So, "in peace from Bristol" sorry, my mates and local family are big Gas fans. And Rugby? For me the Cherry and Whites of Glaaawster is my team. Hard working, loyal and tough bastards. Kingsholm, the home of Gloucester Rugby has the passion you get at the Lane. Any Blades fans in Gloucester for whatever reason, try a match at Kingsholm, you won't feel out of place. The "posh boys" hate playing there.

I would say that although we’re getting results we aren’t playing massively well as a collective, the score flattered us on Saturday, although we do have players of excellent individual quality so we can be extremely dangerous from seemingly nothing, switch off and you’ll be punished. We should have Anel back on Tuesday and he’s really important to out play. Looking forward to the game, I guess ur boys will be quite relaxed and that can be dangerous for us as you’ll play without fear, whilst we’ve been quite nervy.

3 points for us and thats us up I think.

For any Bristol City fans watching there's a general pattern regards Sheff Utd this season.
Overall the team are consistently average, no where near as good as the Wilder promotion side.
However this season our defence is always very strong, their only weakness is pace with other teams catching us on the counter
but when the defence need to sit back and are put under pressure they've always consistently coped really well.

Another issue this season has been our style of play, it's very disjointed in midfield.
We often have 15 minutes where we pass the ball around with confidence and look a top 2 side
then in the same match we have 15 minutes spells where we can't string 3 passes together and it's almost kick and rush football.
The Wilder promotion team were so well drilled and consistently played simple, quick, pass and move possession football.

The other big factor this season is that we can be playing average or even quite poorly
then we have some high quality individuals who can score a goal out of the blue from nothing.
The current team has far higher individual quality than the players in the Wilder promotion team.
N'Diaye is one of the biggest talents at the club in decades, he's capable of producing magic and we think he'll take the PL by storm.

Don't think our fans will feel over confident regards Tuesday
because we remember during the Wilder promotion season, that was also near the end of the season.
A vital game, we were big favourites and you turned up in that Wimbledon tennis style purple and green kit.
You were quite impressive that match beating us 3-2, so we'll expect another tough game.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom