Bristol City fan in peace

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've lived in the SW for many years now, though venture to the Lane most games. Most of my Brizzle mates are Gas fans tbh. Gas are more like the Blades, working class, committed locals. City tend to be the "Posh" side of Bristol. Fabulous stadium, built by their financial benefactor. But actually Bristol is more a rugby city than football, probably why there isnt so much passion or drive to get to EPL. The stadium is really for the rugby team.
So, "in peace from Bristol" sorry, my mates and local family are big Gas fans. And Rugby? For me the Cherry and Whites of Glaaawster is my team. Hard working, loyal and tough bastards. Kingsholm, the home of Gloucester Rugby has the passion you get at the Lane. Any Blades fans in Gloucester for whatever reason, try a match at Kingsholm, you won't feel out of place. The "posh boys" hate playing there.
Based down in the South West I’ve enjoyed a few good days at Kingsholm. I’d echo your comments. Great day out and lots of passion, especially standing in The Shed!

You made a comment the other day about not remembering Martin Smith and now you say your first game was in 1970.

In the spirit of Troy Hawke, I’d say “your posts have an air of youthfulness and enthusiasm that bely your years. Shoulders back, chest out, keep it going and smash it.”

Or something like that 😉
Yup

I still don’t remember Smith tbh but I do remember that Tom Heffernan had curly hair and Martin Pikes name always made me laugh

Bristol City at home in Sept 1970 was my first live game at BLane . The score was 3-3 , the blades 3-0 down with 20 mins left .
Tudor's equaliser

bristol-tudor-jpg.90576

The joy
bristolequaliser-png.90581

Yup

I still don’t remember Smith tbh but I do remember that Tom Heffernan had curly hair and Martin Pikes name always made me laugh
I do recall Martin Pike, probably a bit early for me to make judgment upon him, though my Dad never rated him. Tom Heffernan I just missed. Apparently he became a painter and decorator and went back to Ireland.

Doubt many of today's footballers will need to take up a second trade.

Looking at the line ups from Ashton Gate, it's likely we'll have 7 players on the pitch that didn't play against you last time, including Mcatee, Doyle, Lowe and Berge, 4 of our best players of late. At the time we had a significant injury crisis, so I wouldn't be expecting the same Sheffield United to turn up.

I can only really see Ndiaye, Robinson, Egan and Baldock starting who played in the previous game

Yup, I was there for this one also. It was crazy, the Bristol City fans attacked the Blades fans in the stands, then all hell broke loose as the Blades fans battered the city fans down onto the pitch. Followed by hundreds of city fans running across the pitch to join in from all areas. I remember one particularly portly bloke running all the way across the pitch only to get lamped immediately he joined the fracas, then ran back. The Blades absolutely battered the City fans then they all ran back to safety. It was ludicrous tbh, never seen anything like before or since. Outside afterwards it was like the Alamo. But these were the times, 80s hooliganism. I think there was a story going round at the time that a Blades fan had been stabbed and seriously hurt in Weston Super Mud before the game. But City fans started it in the stands. Most Blades fans were penned in the away end. If they could have got out it would have been even worse. Memories eh!
It was the previous season in the play off game where a lad got stabbed at there’s & a few small groups of Blades had been targeted outside , needless to say the following season there was one or two keen to point out the error of there ways.

And yet this season we will probably match if not better that seasons points tally. May be a couple short on goals scored and goals conceded will be about the same.

Agree, as already mentioned we currently have higher quality players than what we had under Wilder.
Our defence this season is also very strong and when you don't concede many you always have a chance.
Aston Villa were the same that season, a very average team with several excellent players who could score from nothing, hence they won many matches.

Aston Villa were the same that season, a very average team with several excellent players who could score from nothing, hence they won many matches.
That is the Premier League in a nutshell though and hence why teams that play that way have more chance of stopping up than those that went up gungho. Fulham, for exmaple, have adapted this year. Our first year in the Prem under Wilder was all about being solid and not conceding.

I do recall Martin Pike, probably a bit early for me to make judgment upon him, though my Dad never rated him. Tom Heffernan I just missed. Apparently he became a painter and decorator and went back to Ireland.

Doubt many of today's footballers will need to take up a second trade.
Think you’re right

Although I do believe that Kevin DB works part time in a pork pie factory - to make ends meet and to give back to society

Yup, I was there for this one also. It was crazy, the Bristol City fans attacked the Blades fans in the stands, then all hell broke loose as the Blades fans battered the city fans down onto the pitch. Followed by hundreds of city fans running across the pitch to join in from all areas. I remember one particularly portly bloke running all the way across the pitch only to get lamped immediately he joined the fracas, then ran back. The Blades absolutely battered the City fans then they all ran back to safety. It was ludicrous tbh, never seen anything like before or since. Outside afterwards it was like the Alamo. But these were the times, 80s hooliganism. I think there was a story going round at the time that a Blades fan had been stabbed and seriously hurt in Weston Super Mud before the game. But City fans started it in the stands. Most Blades fans were penned in the away end. If they could have got out it would have been even worse. Memories eh!
Jesus the scrap in the park after the match was unbelievable, I remember a blade getting twatted by a cop horse bang in front of me, I think describing it as the Alamo is spot on

Hello from a Bristol City fan in peace.

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted the day before the match.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, top tips for traveling fans, good pubs for away fans, etc, etc.

Look forward to receiving info and to a great game.
United have had more progressive passes, more progressive carries and have a better pass completion % than BC. We've attempted and completed more short passes. We've attempted less long passes. We have a higher possession %. We are both in the bottom half for fouls. We've received more of both red and yellow cards. They've been awarded 40 more fouls than United.

So, basically, stop crying. The teams play in a similar fashion and we had everyone injured last game

The following link is about as welcome as rolling around bollock naked in a field full of thistles and nettles but is the only thing that comes to mind regarding the history of this fixture.
Wish they still did the play offs like that with the third bottom team playing the fifth in the other league. I'd never realized it was the same Steve McClaren either!!

Hello from a Bristol City fan in peace.

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted the day before the match.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, top tips for traveling fans, good pubs for away fans, etc, etc.

Look forward to receiving info and to a great game.
I have Zero animosity toward Bristol City as a football club, I like Bristol as a city aswell. I sure you share our "Sheffield" pain of being called "Bristol" all the time. How FFin hard is it to say "united" or "City"???

Bristol has excellent beer establishments and some cracking breweries. So for any City fans coming to Sheffield who love their beer, their is a cracking selection of pubs and breweries/brewery taps -

Sheffield Tap - At the station. Decent beer selection if a little pricy!

Triple Point brewery - 10 mins from the train station. Full of home fans usually, but still can get a beer in less than 5 mins. Also tends not to attract dickedds as they dont sell cheap shite lager.

Industry tap, 5 mins from station 2 from ground. - Cracking little place, DIPAs IPAs and stouts galore. All from top breweries. No fizzy shite.

Grizzly grains brewery 15 mins from the station, 5 mins from the ground. (same description as triple point in terms of dickeds) more of a warehouse with 3 benches tho.

Vocation Tap Room 15 from station, 10 from ground - Division Street. Its a vocation brewery tap room lol

Any fans staying the night get down to Kelham island - 15 mins walk from station 18 mins (current record walking from the ground). Shakespeares, Crow, West Bar Tap, Perch, Kelham Tavern, Salt Brewery Tap, Fat Cat, Millowners, Riverside, Heist brewery...........endlesss

Theres tons more n all!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the beer and hope you lose in the nicest possible way :)

Last edited:
jerseybean, channel islander?

Sat with your fans when we played you last Easter, that is some fancy stand your clubs built, very impressed. You will find that Bramall Lane is absolutely at the heart of the city whereas it’s nowhere near as easy to get to Ashton Gate. There are, however, definitely 2 teams in Bristol.

Let’s hope that one Bristol team plays well tomorrow. I really hope The Gas stick 4 or 5 past Wendy.

jerseybean, channel islander?

Sat with your fans when we played you last Easter, that is some fancy stand your clubs built, very impressed. You will find that Bramall Lane is absolutely at the heart of the city whereas it’s nowhere near as easy to get to Ashton Gate. There are, however, definitely 2 teams in Bristol.
A Bristolian who has been living in the CI for 30+ years

My own memories of Bristol City seem to be of them turning us over at BDTBL with last minute goals, often after we’ve dominated the game. Didn’t Fleck get sent off against them a few seasons ago too or was that against someone else?

Fleck's red card was against Bristol City in 2017. We lost 2-1 despite having the vast majority of the play; their opener was from miles out, we equalised, Fleck got sent off, Aden Flint scored a last minute winner.

I thought we had a poor record against them but it seems that neither side likes to win at home against the other. There's also a lot of 3-2s

22/23
Bristol C 0-1 United

21/22
Bristol C 1-1 United (Gibbs-White)
United 2-0 Bristol C (Brewster, Sharp)

18/19
United 2-3 Bristol C (Sharp, Hogan)
Bristol C 1-0 United

17/18
Bristol C 2-3 United (Clarke, Sharp, Freeman)
United 1-2 Bristol C (Clarke; Fleck s/o)

14/15
Bristol C 1-3 United (Done 2, Murphy)
United 1-2 Bristol C (Higdon)

13/14
United 3-0 Bristol C (Brayford, Flynn, Baxter p)
Bristol C 0-1 United (og)

The thread in their site

The thread in their site

Some effort that like.

Also jerseybean I notice you’ve put the devonshire cat down on your list. Thats changed hands now and I’m not sure if it might be home fans only now. Its also no longer the real ale haven it once was. Its now called indie-go, it does now have sport on but given its a tuesday night I’m not sure how useful that will be.

Imagine you might be okay if you’re not wearing colours.

I remember Gerry Gow & John Galley being very decent players for them too back in those days.
Back in the 80s, my mate Woody invented the following song, sung to the tune normally associated with “Engerlund Engerlund Enger luuuund”

Gerry Gow is a cow on a farm
Is a cow on a farm in the country

No idea why. Not seen Woody for about 35 years, top lad and top Blade, moved to Birmingham after uni I believe, hope he lurks on here and reads this!

The thread in their site

Bloody hell good work that

Back
Top Bottom