BladesPod - latest episodes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Eyup S2,

Neither Roygbiv or I managed to see the Arsenal game and it doesn't look like there's much meaningful to be drawn from it apart from "oh look, we're still rubbish", so instead we thought - with it being SPOOKY SZN - we'd take a trip back in time to an alternate reality where several things went a little bit differently to how they did in this one...

Or you can skip all that and just get to the Wolves preview at about 19 minutes. Cheers!

A few more Roy interruptions and I’d have believed this as a factual episode 😉

Eyup S2,

Neither Roygbiv or I managed to see the Arsenal game and it doesn't look like there's much meaningful to be drawn from it apart from "oh look, we're still rubbish", so instead we thought - with it being SPOOKY SZN - we'd take a trip back in time to an alternate reality where several things went a little bit differently to how they did in this one...

Or you can skip all that and just get to the Wolves preview at about 19 minutes. Cheers!

A great pod by two clever twats

Eyup S2,

A well put together episode, as ever. I thought the first section was very thought provoking in terms of what might have been.

You bastards.

Really enjoyed that.

I’ve mentioned before that I’m one of those people who listens to podcasts to go to sleep, and BladesPod is one of the best for that (in a good way). This episode completely threw me - half waking up to hear that we’d just beaten Everton, I had no idea what month it was!

I wasn’t sure - it reminded me of that dream episode of the Sopranos, or the Angus Podgorny episode of Monty Python, where a nice little idea is stretched out a bit too long!

Having said that I feel the same about the team sticking to this “not winning” idea. It’s just not funny anymore!

Very cleverly done, but I couldn't stomach the whole thing so had to skip to the Wolves preview - far too frustrating to hear a not-too-far-fetched version of what could have been if a few minor changes had fallen in our favour.

Beans and Roy putting this pod together:

Beans and Roygbiv you are a pair of bastards! Went for a run and listened to you two rubbing salt into the wounds of this awful season! I nearly ran into the local cafe to grab a knife and slit my wrists.

Your normally great work is not helping my mental health. Stunts like this and then Roygbiv publishing the views of entitled glory hunting twats every week crowing about how shit we are is making an interminable season even worse.

Don't know whether to 😂 or 😭

An interesting episode certainly, I get that it’s a what might’ve been, but in reality it makes the come down even worse.

Look at what you could’ve won syndrome.

When you’re laughing at the poor twats that haven’t got all those points and positives, and realise it’s actually us anyway.

Eyup S2,

This was a borderline distressing lesson.

Radiohead are one of the biggest selling artists in the world for a reason. People like misery
Haha, oh I like Radiohead, but they don't fuck with my head like that! 😂

Seems I wrote lesson, not listen. Let that be a listen to me.

Hi S2, sorry for taking a while with this - was difficult to find a gap for both of us to record. But it's now here - the post-Wolves pod with Roygbiv:

We talk about the sheer relief of a win, the second half turnaround, the game as a referendum on Heckingbottom, the bizarre media (over)reaction to the penalty, a classic Jack Robinson game, and a few other odds and ends including Brighton (A) this weekend and a few upcoming fixtures.

Thanks for listening and for the feedback on the last episode, love, two clever twats.

How sweet it is to be discussing a win. Cheers for the pod guys, it lifted the gloom of my weekly trip home on the bus and train from deepest darkest Rotherham.

Thanks for the pod.

I think the McAtee sub is explicable because if we take Heckey at his word he was going to do the swap at half time anyway, and if you are, there isn't any reason to play 90 seconds with a man down.

It also makes sense from the perspective of a slow start and better second half, because we are at our worst in the second half, and this seemed to be more of a strategised 'keep it tight 1st half and go for it second', where you take off your worst player (Brewster) and have more chance of pulling something off with a better player replacing them.

Thanks for the pod.

I think the McAtee sub is explicable because if we take Heckey at his word he was going to do the swap at half time anyway, and if you are, there isn't any reason to play 90 seconds with a man down.

It also makes sense from the perspective of a slow start and better second half, because we are at our worst in the second half, and this seemed to be more of a strategised 'keep it tight 1st half and go for it second', where you take off your worst player (Brewster) and have more chance of pulling something off with a better player replacing them.
A welcome pod for the presenters, being able to discuss the positive aspects of a Blades win, at last.
Sorry secretchief but I think the only thing on Hecky’s mind was Brewster welfare and potential serious injury.
For a manager who is often critcised for slow and late substitutions, he sure got Brewster off quickly? In most cases he dithers with substitutions, why the sudden urgency with this one, so close to half time?

Thanks for the pod.

Probably didn’t articulate myself properly on this but my thinking was that by making the sub then, we now could only stop the game to make subs twice more in the second half. Whereas if he’d waited til halftime to make the change, we’d still have three potential sub “slots” as the halftime one doesn’t count towards them.

It’s a minor thing but as I said on there it just capped off a very frustrating first half. And with our injury record it’s not unlikely that we could’ve found ourselves in a situation where we finish the game with 10 players because we couldn’t make any more subs. Just seemed like poor in-game management to me in a league where we need every little edge possible.

Probably didn’t articulate myself properly on this but my thinking was that by making the sub then, we now could only stop the game to make subs twice more in the second half. Whereas if he’d waited til halftime to make the change, we’d still have three potential sub “slots” as the halftime one doesn’t count towards them.

It’s a minor thing but as I said on there it just capped off a very frustrating first half. And with our injury record it’s not unlikely that we could’ve found ourselves in a situation where we finish the game with 10 players because we couldn’t make any more subs. Just seemed like poor in-game management to me in a league where we need every little edge possible.
Easy to say with hindsight - imagine the blowback if we had played out the last 90 seconds with 10 men and Wolves had scored...

Easy to say with hindsight - imagine the blowback if we had played out the last 90 seconds with 10 men and Wolves had scored...
I stand by it tbh (did say as much at the time to me dad who I was grumpily making this point to). Brewster was a nonfactor that first half so don’t see how Wolves suddenly become more of a threat if we play out the last 60-90s of the half with ten men. Plus the longer games have gone on this season the worse we’ve looked as we tire - I’d rather have kept the sub opportunity in the pocket.

Tiny thing but as I say, we need every edge possible to compete!

Back
Top Bottom