BladesPod - latest episodes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

IMO it's a case of "both things can be true" - I thought we were great, could easily have had a couple more with better finishing and that's allowing for the fact that some of the squad had had a heavy few days. I do think it was a very limp performance from a team who needed a win to get in the playoffs though - they only had two shots in the first half and were all over the place at the back even before we made it 2-1. Ryan Lowe sort of agreed :)
I don't actually think a couple of days on the sauce will affect performance too much if you've at least had a couple of days dry before the game, obviously not every week and not on the two days just before the game.
I think the fact that we played with a lot more freedom dictated how the game went. When it was 1-1 they still had to go for it, so that kind of explains why they were all over the place. Not saying they were amazing, just not as bad as is being made out and that our performance certainly contributed to that (in agreement with your first point).

How do all, Roygbiv and I have done another pod wrapping up the last two games (very briefly), and picking out our 10 biggest moments from the season - basically, what were the key moments that underpinned our promotion. Enjoyed looking back on the season this way, hope you do too.

Cheers for listening and UTB!

How do all, Roygbiv and I have done another pod wrapping up the last two games (very briefly), and picking out our 10 biggest moments from the season - basically, what were the key moments that underpinned our promotion. Enjoyed looking back on the season this way, hope you do too.

Cheers for listening and UTB!

Cheers lads- was running out of ways to while away a Friday afternoon at work but look no further

Afternoon all, answering the call of the thread "We Need Good News", it's Roygbiv and me giving out our player ratings for the class of 2022-23. Twenty-two eligible players discussed and rated, plus some thoughts on fringe players who didn't feature that often... three minutes per player. Enjoyed doing this one, hope you enjoy listening to it. Cheers!

well done chaps for this and all the content this season.

i’m based abroad and watch 90% of the games via my subscription to the club’s television channel so hearing what you guys thing adds genuine value to my experience of being a blade.

a massive thanks from me for all the time and effort which goes into these podcasts! will be looking out for further updates as the summer unfolds.

Really like your podcast. Too many other podcasts are either angry rants / shouty celebration, or are self indulgent with the personal chat for an hour without mentioning football. You guys get it absolutely spot on. Well done on another brilliant season.

Great round up. So glad you rated Ndiaye the way you did.

Brian Deane is my hero, and the best I’ve ever seen in my near fifty years.

I think I’m going to have to change my opinion.

One more year with us and then the very top for him. That’s my hope. I cannot begrudge him playing at the level his ability deserves.

You are going to have to think of something to fill a weekly pod over summer, otherwise my Monday evening dog walk is going to be scouring Richard herring’s Leicester Square Theatre podcast back catalogue and listening to the ones where he interviews people I have never heard of.

One more year with us and then the very top for him. That’s my hope. I cannot begrudge him playing at the level his ability deserves.
I’ve been watching them since 1974, and have only vague memories of Currie and Woodward. Discounting them, the most entertaining I have seen, in that time are Agana, Didzy and Iliman. These are the three where I felt privileged to have seen them play in the red and white. Which is kind of unfair on some of the other greats in that time, but they are the ones who could do something different, that got you applauding. And of the three, Iliman is miles out on his own.

Not said this before but your podcast is a big part of my life and Almost as big a highlight of the week as the actual games

Started listening in the first wilder season in the Championship and really enjoyed the way you and Jay used stats and analysis to back up your articulate views on the blades and their opposition in the context of the league we are in and since then it has become essential listening one of the few places you can actually get a balanced view on united without the embarrassing self depreciation and negativity that most of our supporters seem to enjoy wallowing in

It's become almost therapeutic after a bad loss or poor run of results when every one else seems to lose their shit in an incredibly self destructive manner your balanced and reasonable views really help to bookend the weeks results and move on

So thanks Beans And Roygbiv And Keep up the good work

Thanks Beans & Roygbiv for another fantastic effort this season and for the time you both give to these pods. It's always a pleasure listening to your measured and so well balanced opinions come rain or shine and there's no better pod than yours. Enjoy your close season. UTB.

If greatness is measured by both ability and contribution, it’s a tricky one.

Brian Deane - two promotions and 3 top flight seasons. We went down as soon as he left.

Iliman is certainly the most talented and joyous player I’ve ever seen, and now he has a promotion on his CV. If we stay up next year and he’s a big part of that, then he’s the greatest of my lifetime.

Not been listening for long but cracking job for what I have heard so far👍.

Eyup S2, well we've given up waiting for United to confirm who's staying and going and pushed on with a podcast we'd planned for later in the summer: drafting the best Blades team of the last 25 years.

This was a lot of fun, and doing it as a draft adds a bit of a unique wrinkle to the "pick your best XI". The rules were we had to pick players one at a time, no player could be picked twice (so when they're chosen, they're gone), they have to fit into a 3-5-2 (so position matters: no shoe-horning George Baldock at LWB), and must have played at least 25 times for United in the last 25 years (no Deane, Fjortoft, McGrath, Whitehouse etc).

I'll post our two teams in a bit so you can vote for who out of me and Roygbiv ended up with the best side... cheers for listening, hope you enjoy.

Eyup S2, well we've given up waiting for United to confirm who's staying and going and pushed on with a podcast we'd planned for later in the summer: drafting the best Blades team of the last 25 years.

This was a lot of fun, and doing it as a draft adds a bit of a unique wrinkle to the "pick your best XI". The rules were we had to pick players one at a time, no player could be picked twice (so when they're chosen, they're gone), they have to fit into a 3-5-2 (so position matters: no shoe-horning George Baldock at LWB), and must have played at least 25 times for United in the last 25 years (no Deane, Fjortoft, McGrath, Whitehouse etc).

I'll post our two teams in a bit so you can vote for who out of me and Roygbiv ended up with the best side... cheers for listening, hope you enjoy.

Won’t be listening anymore now you are promoting pigs new sponsors, disgraceful lol 😂 😛😛

Bet you and Roy were front of queue for the pigs better than promotion to prem league parade

Probably that weird bloke with the dolls head for company, only question now is who was who lol 😂

Won’t be listening anymore now you are promoting pigs new sponsors, disgraceful lol 😂 😛😛

Had to google to work out what the heck you were on about. I went back to ignoring the shit out of them as soon as they won and will continue to do so until the next time they lose. Thought they'd struck a partnership with Soundcloud or something

Is it 1997-98 the first season you're doing it from, or the one after?

Is it 1997-98 the first season you're doing it from, or the one after?

Yep from 1997/98 to 2022/23 inclusive.

Here's the link to the poll by the way for when people have listened:

Also this really threw me:

1685622708412.png

spider-man.gif

View attachment 161700

spider-man.gif

Thanks. Written my XI down before listening, will post it once I've listened through, but so far it's what Roygbiv has picked (including his 'hipster' choice).

Had to google to work out what the heck you were on about. I went back to ignoring the shit out of them as soon as they won and will continue to do so until the next time they lose. Thought they'd struck a partnership with Soundcloud or something

View attachment 161700

spider-man.gif

Even our mothers can’t tell us apart ha ha

Here's mine:

---------------------------Kelly-------------------------
------------Jags-------Maguire-----JOC--------------
Borbokis----------------------------------------Stevens
------------------Brown--------Fleck-------------------
---------------------------Ndiaye-----------------------
-------------------Beattie--------Sharp-----------------

Bench
  • Egan
  • Basham
  • Walker (just misses out to Borbokis in the XI)
  • Woodhouse (a bit of a curve ball, perhaps, but he was excellent when he was with us in a poor side)
  • Norwood
  • Duffy
  • McGoldrick

No goalie on the bench as Jags can fill in there, if needed ;). I also didn't want to pick any loan players for my team, so no MGW or Hendo.

In terms of best and the 11 I’ve enjoyed watching the most

Kenny
Walker Jags Maguire JoC Enda
Brown norwood
Duffy
Ndaiye Mcgoldrick

On actual heights of performance Beattie and fleck deserve to be in there.

In terms of best and the 11 I’ve enjoyed watching the most

Kenny
Walker Jags Maguire JoC Enda
Brown norwood
Duffy
Ndaiye Mcgoldrick

On actual heights of performance Beattie and fleck deserve to be in there.

That's the reasoning I went with and agonised over Duffy especially. His quality with the ball coupled with his workrate & intelligence off it was one of the key reasons why we opened teams up.

Watching peak Norwood, Fleck, Duffy & Didzy dropping deep was an absolute privilege to behold. As pissed off as I was with Wilder towards the end - he brought 4 of them for £0 and just £1.25m for Norwood.
Those players oozed quality.

Here's a visual representation of our two teams for anyone who can't be arsed to listen but likes looking at these things :) Note: shirt number of each player denotes the position they were picked in our draft, so eg Billy Sharp was the 6th overall pick.

Ben's XI.pngAndrew's XI.png

Here's a visual representation of our two teams for anyone who can't be arsed to listen but likes looking at these things :) Note: shirt number of each player denotes the position they were picked in our draft, so eg Billy Sharp was the 6th overall pick.

View attachment 161748View attachment 161749
Really enjoyable pod that.

My XI:

Kelly
Walker (sorry George) Jags Egan O'Connell Stevens
Fleck Brown Norwood
Ndiaye
Beattie (sorry Billy)

LB/LWB has been a really thin position for us as long as I've been a fan. We've had some excellent RB, CB and keepers but by and large it's been thin gruel down the left.

Cheers for another great season of Blades pod.

Possible controversial opinion coming up…
I think I might enjoy the post season bonus episodes most of all, so I’m hoping there is some more summer content in the pipeline!

View attachment 161748View attachment 161749

They’re both good teams but Andrew’s lime green XI is a sexy lineup I think that would win. Super Vas dribbling and checking back with 14 Cruyff turns before crossing whilst Jags covers him 😍

I enjoy the pod chaps, listen to every one. Nice for an exile like myself while I’m out and about.

Really enjoyable pod that.

My XI:

Kelly
Walker (sorry George) Jags Egan O'Connell Stevens
Fleck Brown Norwood
Ndiaye
Beattie (sorry Billy)

LB/LWB has been a really thin position for us as long as I've been a fan. We've had some excellent RB, CB and keepers but by and large it's been thin gruel down the left.

Cheers Rev. Yeah LWB is really tricky. Of the ones I'd jotted down as eligible for this (so played 25+ games in last 25 years), I'd probably go:

1) Enda
[daylight]
2) Wayne Quinn
3) Gary Naysmith
4) Chris Armstrong
5) David Unsworth
6) Daniel Lafferty
7) Derek Geary (who was a good player for us, but have a hard time seeing him as a LWB in a 3-5-2)
8) Osborn

Obviously we've had many crapper ones than this in this period as well.

Cheers for another great season of Blades pod.

Possible controversial opinion coming up…
I think I might enjoy the post season bonus episodes most of all, so I’m hoping there is some more summer content in the pipeline!

Ha, yeah we enjoy doing them as well! Got a few more planned for sure. Weirdly I enjoy the off-season episodes from one of the NFL podcasts I listen to more than their regular review/preview stuff, not sure what that says about my relationship with the actual sport itself.

Back
Top Bottom