Bettis radio sheff tomorrow

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

McBurnie got 15 goals last season. That’s 10 more than Madine and Hogan got out together. I’m honestly astounded that you’ve tried to compare McBurnie’s contribution with that of those two.

McBurnie was also our leading scorer the season we finished 9th in the Prem.
I can't believe your actually trying to somehow make an argument that mcburnie is any good!

It was better than I was expecting but there were still some bizarre and ominous bits.
Someone asked him what he viewed as 'success' and he went all David Brent and said something along the lines of 'We've won health and safety awards! THAT'S success!'
When asked if under the current ownership is bottom of the Premier League the best we can hope for? The brutal answer was 'Yes!'
True dat!
I could guarantee you Baltic would come on here and pick spots off it!
Bettis covered a lot of things which we are all interested in ! Now it's your turn to put your own negative spin on it ! The floor is open to you ! Baltic!.

I think that's harsh on Norwood and Egan who for a combined £6m improved us immensely, got us to the Premier League and played a massive part in keeping us there. I'd say they were great signings.

You've also missed Ramsdale, Archer, Hamer and Souza from the big money spends, two of which will make a profit and the other two are still here for next season. We definitely have something to show for them.

I'm not defending our recruitment by the way, I think it's generally been poor.
Very harsh. Norwood was outstanding in his first 2 seasons with the club. He was instrumental to the way we played, one of the best midfielders we've had in last 30/40 years for what he was brought in to do.

Sadly the team around him changed and our style of play / lack of it changed and so has Norwood with regards getting older slower and legs seem to have gone. Just people have short memories.

Likewise for egan he was colossal at times for us, but as the team and players change and the style of play the more he's been exposed and started to struggle.

I agree that these two were great value for money and fantastic signings, problem we have is weve never upgraded, just gone backwards.

It was better than I was expecting but there were still some bizarre and ominous bits.
Someone asked him what he viewed as 'success' and he went all David Brent and said something along the lines of 'We've won health and safety awards! THAT'S success!'
When asked if under the current ownership is bottom of the Premier League the best we can hope for? The brutal answer was 'Yes!'
True dat!
He answered the success as a CEO. People within the club have busted a gut to get those recognitions and he's just highlighting his appreciation.
As these things go it was a very strong performance, and he handled it all very well. I also though Radio Sheffield summarised the general questions quite well too in fairness. He dodged nothing, gave logical and comprehensive answers and provided clarity on a fair few points of contention.

• Wilder is staying and will be effectively running the rebuild.
  • No DoF. Wilder wants to hold the reigns and will work with a strong head of recruitment. Moving to a more data driven model, with new positions announce very shortly. One offer is already out, beneath that Head of, role.
  • Training ground is expected to be completed for 2026 and the aim is then Cat1 for the academy at Shirecliffe.
  • Sander and Illiman had no intention of signing a new deal and we can't afford to lose over £30m.
  • You don't get £100m from the PL for staying up, and being in the PL means your operational costs are significantly higher so the risk/reward isn't what is assumed.
  • Some of our players won't want to be here in the Championship, but they're all under long contracts.
  • Archer is going back to Villa when we're relegated.
  • The contract situation isn't as poor as people are reporting with us having more options available to us. 80% of decisions have been made as to who we'd like to resign, Jebbo is the current deal they're looking to progress and he's been out with a blood clot and a few niggles.
  • Catering deal is what it is. One of the leading outsources, so the alternative is to bring it in house. They are being challenged to improve their offerings and we have break clauses.
  • Ground improvements. They're not concerned about the McCabe owned land. It's open to offers currently and they'll look to acquire it but they can't build on it behind the Kop, and they don't think the accommodation can be done either.
  • Prince is subsidising the club not taking anything out.
  • The pillars can come out without closing the stand but anything else will require moving people. Safe standing will be put into any new stand development.

I can't think of anything else that stuck with me.

Anybody know what time Bettis was on, for BBCsounds listening back purposes? Thanks.

Simple!
Why does a club that get 30k home support each week struggle money ?
Why does a club who sells its best players year upon year struggle ?
Why does a club that brings in extra wealth thru cup semis struggle financially?
MAYBE it's time thru lack of trust in every owner we've had that like
Exeter , orient and a few others thst us fans actually owned and ran the club.
We've gone a 100 years no major trophy and still attract huge support we couldn't do any worse.
The first comment certainly seems to cover the rest.

McBurnie got 15 goals last season. That’s 10 more than Madine and Hogan got out together. I’m honestly astounded that you’ve tried to compare McBurnie’s contribution with that of those two.

McBurnie was also our leading scorer the season we finished 9th in the Prem.
With 6 goals in 36 games!!!
He's got 4 this season in 16, so he's nearly matched that with an improved, buy overall crap goals to games ratio.

Sign him up again.

He might have gotten 15 last season (13 in the league actually), but that didn't even put him in the divisions top 10 goal scorers.

Get rid. He's not delivered what I'd expect from £17mil in the Championship let alone the Premier League.

Neil Shipperley got us 11 league goals only 2 less than McBurnie, and he could only play 60 minutes before indigestion kicked in from the pre-match pie and chips. He cost us nothing.

He answered the success as a CEO. People within the club have busted a gut to get those recognitions and he's just highlighting his appreciation.
As these things go it was a very strong performance, and he handled it all very well. I also though Radio Sheffield summarised the general questions quite well too in fairness. He dodged nothing, gave logical and comprehensive answers and provided clarity on a fair few points of contention.

• Wilder is staying and will be effectively running the rebuild.
  • No DoF. Wilder wants to hold the reigns and will work with a strong head of recruitment. Moving to a more data driven model, with new positions announce very shortly. One offer is already out, beneath that Head of, role.
  • Training ground is expected to be completed for 2026 and the aim is then Cat1 for the academy at Shirecliffe.
  • Sander and Illiman had no intention of signing a new deal and we can't afford to lose over £30m.
  • You don't get £100m from the PL for staying up, and being in the PL means your operational costs are significantly higher so the risk/reward isn't what is assumed.
  • Some of our players won't want to be here in the Championship, but they're all under long contracts.
  • Archer is going back to Villa when we're relegated.
  • The contract situation isn't as poor as people are reporting with us having more options available to us. 80% of decisions have been made as to who we'd like to resign, Jebbo is the current deal they're looking to progress and he's been out with a blood clot and a few niggles.
  • Catering deal is what it is. One of the leading outsources, so the alternative is to bring it in house. They are being challenged to improve their offerings and we have break clauses.
  • Ground improvements. They're not concerned about the McCabe owned land. It's open to offers currently and they'll look to acquire it but they can't build on it behind the Kop, and they don't think the accommodation can be done either.
  • Prince is subsidising the club not taking anything out.
  • The pillars can come out without closing the stand but anything else will require moving people. Safe standing will be put into any new stand development.

I can't think of anything else that stuck with me.

I think I caught all bar 10 minutes of it, so apologies if he referred to this during the bit I missed, but from what I heard there was no recognition that last summer's tansfer window had been a disaster from a planning and execution point of view.
And he didn't seem to address or give assurances about this coming summer window being better.
The fact it is, we're about to go into this crucial phase of planning for next season and as it stands we don't have a head of recruitment in place.

The pillars can come out without closing the stand but anything else will require moving people.

It would seem a bit daft not to add any capacity at the same time, so shutting the stand for a period is inevitable by the sounds of it, but something needs to be done about the pillars and concourse so it's a necessary evil. It was slightly disappointing that Rob Staton never followed that up by asking if that was actually going to happen. I'm guessing it's not in the plans or Bettis would have elaborated.

SB came across well. Obviously he’s very intelligent and of course sticks up for SUFC and the huge role he has played in everything involving us.

It does seem like the club was so disjointed since Wilder left. Maybe he was the glue behind everything and one of the reasons why he’s brought back.

It does seem like everything is on the right track. New training ground / new recruitment team. Manager and Chairman on same page.

However I do feel this summers transfers are everything for our future. We get it right we go back into the positive feeling we get it wrong we are up a creek. Bad planning has got us here and no one seemingly wants to take responsibility for all our best players being out of contract.

With 6 goals in 36 games!!!
He's got 4 this season in 16, so he's nearly matched that with an improved, buy overall crap goals to games ratio.

Sign him up again.

He might have gotten 15 last season (13 in the league actually), but that didn't even put him in the divisions top 10 goal scorers.

Get rid. He's not delivered what I'd expect from £17mil in the Championship let alone the Premier League.

Neil Shipperley got us 11 league goals only 2 less than McBurnie, and he could only play 60 minutes before indigestion kicked in from the pre-match pie and chips. He cost us nothing.

6 goals or not, he was still our leading scorer when we finished 9th. Which is what I said.

I also think you’ve missed the main gist of my comment.

I think I caught all bar 10 minutes of it, so apologies if he referred to this during the bit I missed, but from what I heard there was no recognition that last summer's tansfer window had been a disaster from a planning and execution point of view.
And he didn't seem to address or give assurances about this coming summer window being better.
The fact it is, we're about to go into this crucial phase of planning for next season and as it stands we don't have a head of recruitment in place.
So I've already covered the recruitment overhaul, new head of, new supporting roles. He also said all would be in place prior to the summer, with one offer already having been made, and they're down to a shortlist of the HO. That was after the 10 minute mark but it very much sounds like Wilder is running the recruitment show.
Not too sure what you're wanting on him for the last window, he's clearly not going to call anyone out or talk about individual signings being poor. That would be hugely unprofessional and counter productive. He did say Illiman wasn't replaceable but he thought Sander had been replaced effectively, which I don't believe is the case. He either rates Souza higher than I've seen so far, or he's meaning Davis who has been more effective at PL level than Berge but I wouldn't say he's a effective replacement right now. He did say views on Sander were hugely mixed, which they were, with many not happy with him and given his consistency of performances particularly in big games that's certainly true.

Last edited:

So I've already covered the recruitment overhaul, new head of, new supporting roles. He also said all would be in place prior to the summer, with one offer already having been made, and they're down to a shortlist of the HO. That was after the 10 minute mark but it very much sounds like Wilder is running the recruitment show.
Not too sure what you're wanting on him for the last window, he's clearly not going to call anyone out or talk about individual signings being poor. That would be hugely unprofessional and counter productive. He did say Illiman wasn't replaceable but he thought Sander had been replaced effectively, which I don't believe is the case. He either rates Souza higher than I've seen so far, or he's meaning Davis who has been more effective at PL level than Berge but I wouldn't say he's an effective replacement right now. He did say views on Sander were hugely mixed, which they were, with many not happy with him and given his consistency of performances particularly in big games that's certainly true.
To be fair BalticBlade I’d say the ‘mutual termination’ of Mitchell will be as far as they go in acknowledging the summer was poor. Getting rid of your recruitment head tells it’s own story.

Of course from Mitchell’s side he’ll always have opportunities to save face by saying that there wasn’t the money to obtain proven or ready made signings.

6 goals or not, he was still our leading scorer when we finished 9th. Which is what I said.

I also think you’ve missed the main gist of my comment.
I get where you're coming from and your point, but saying he was our top scorer with just a paltry, pathetic 6 goals is clutching at straws a bit! It's not even worty mentioning as it's not a positive selling point.

At best McBurnie is an unreliable, ill disciplined, injury prone average Championship striker. He'd also likely remain one of our top earners even with any reduction in terms on a new contract. He's not worth it. Get rid and move on. Find someone else. He's been here for five seasons now and he hasn't been worth it.

Coventry bought Gyokeres for around £1mil and sold him for £20mil. We bought McBurnie for £17mil and would be lucky to get £3-4mil for scored 38 league goals in 110 Championship games. McBurnie scored 13 league goals in 66 Championship games over two seasons, including going a whole season (28 games) without scoring. Okay, maybe Coventry got lucky like we did with Ndiaye, but our scouting seems to find turds instead of gems.

So long as I've got a hole in my arse McBurnie will never be a dependable consistent goal scorer. He's a waste of wages and I don't want to seem him in a Blades shirt again next season. He offers nothing except defending set pieces, which shouldn't really be his job.

3. There have been 2 independent reviews of injury management both have been inconclusive. Although the change of the training pitches to Desso may have contributed to recent injuries because of the harder surface.

Blood pressure rising among former forum members on the south coast.

I get where you're coming from and your point, but saying he was our top scorer with just a paltry, pathetic 6 goals is clutching at straws a bit! It's not even worty mentioning as it's not a positive selling point.
6 goals in the Premier League aren't easy to come by and don't come cheap.

RE Gyokeres, Brighton let him go. Nobody is perfect in the transfer market.

At best McBurnie is an unreliable, ill disciplined, injury prone average Championship striker. He'd also likely remain one of our top earners even with any reduction in terms on a new contract. He's not worth it. Get rid and move on. Find someone else. He's been here for five seasons now and he hasn't been worth it.

Coventry bought Gyokeres for around £1mil and sold him for £20mil. We bought McBurnie for £17mil and would be lucky to get £3-4mil for scored 38 league goals in 110 Championship games. McBurnie scored 13 league goals in 66 Championship games over two seasons, including going a whole season (28 games) without scoring. Okay, maybe Coventry got lucky like we did with Ndiaye, but our scouting seems to find turds instead of gems.

So long as I've got a hole in my arse McBurnie will never be a dependable consistent goal scorer. He's a waste of wages and I don't want to seem him in a Blades shirt again next season. He offers nothing except defending set pieces, which shouldn't really be his job.

No I honestly don't think you did get my point which is why you've gone off on a tangent. You're arguing against something I haven't really said.

How many goals did Hogan and Madine get us? How many in the Prem the season we finished 9th?

Blood pressure rising among former forum members on the south coast.

I'm surprised more peeps haven't picked up on this revelation..
Seemed common knowledge the way Battis spoke about it that the Desso pitches, now the gold standard in top class football, are much harder than grass pitches, and may be responsible for the increase in injuries not only for Utd but across football. He indicated the high injury levels might reduce as players become more used to playing on them. That seems a tad risky to me!
Having said that though, he then said we are putting new Desso pitches in the new training ground..
I'd be very wary the PFA might get some top lawyers in for expensive damages claims for injured players who's careers have been ended.
Sounds to me like these pitches could open a real can of worms.

Fitness has been the main issue with McBurnie IMO. He had a couple bad years but since last season he's largely been very good when fit.

Similar story with Berge, spent a while struggling to get fit and then was great in the championship.

Brewster obviously the extreme example where he's just barely played.

I don't know if that's a problem on our end where we've missed something in our scouting or if it's to do with training methods but it seriously needs looking at. Can't keep having our best players/biggest investments missing so much tim

Hang on though

Gyokeres was sold for circa £20m having just scored 21 goals in the championship aged 24
Mcburnie was sold for circa £20m having just scored 22 goals in the championship aged 23

Quite amusingly, Swansea actually signed Gyokeres on loan in 2020/21 where he could only muster 3 in 19. Now I'm not saying Mcburnie is better than Gyokeres (I actually think he could easily be playing in that 5th - 10th zone in the prem) but Mcburnie played in 36 games in the season we finished 9th...(the other two games he was on the bench) - his fitness has been up and down since but he was also hitting stats similar to Mitrovic before his injury last year (I believe Beans spoke about this on the pod at the time)

6 goals you call pathetic yet it was more than the likes of Iheanacho, Che Adams, Origi amogst others and his overall game was (and still is) key to us getting and staying up the right end of the pitch.
I agree overall the outlay probably dosn't match the return - but to call him an average championship striker is simply nonsense.

Bettis threw out that argument that gets aired every so often: if you had asked us when we were bottom of League One whether we would have liked 3 seasons in the premier league, we would have snapped their hands off. And this is true, but I wonder, if that same offer had described in detail what two of those seasons would be like, would we have been as keen?

This season has been akin to a genie giving you a wish, and you ask to be lying on a beach in France, which turns out to be Normandy in 1944.
I think the promotions have been great, but this season has been by far the worst and least enjoyable of my 50 plus years watching this club.

Bettis threw out that argument that gets aired every so often: if you had asked us when we were bottom of League One whether we would have liked 3 seasons in the premier league, we would have snapped their hands off. And this is true, but I wonder, if that same offer had described in detail what two of those seasons would be like, would we have been as keen?

This season has been akin to a genie giving you a wish, and you ask to be lying on a beach in France, which turns out to be Normandy in 1944.
I think the promotions have been great, but this season has been by far the worst and least enjoyable of my 50 plus years watching this club.
Spot on my friend, 60 odd years a blade and I have never ever been so despondent about what I've had to watch.

This just came back to me, but Bettis said something along the lines of, "there are some players who won't want to play in the Championship next season, there are a couple in my mind but they're on long contracts so we should be able to recover some money on them".

I'm completely paraphrasing there, but that was the gist of it. My immediate thoughts are Anel and Souza, but whoever it is, I think we can expect some contracted players to leave along with the exodus of players out of contract.

This just came back to me, but Bettis said something along the lines of, "there are some players who won't want to play in the Championship next season, there are a couple in my mind but they're on long contracts so we should be able to recover some money on them".

I'm completely paraphrasing there, but that was the gist of it. My immediate thoughts are Anel and Souza, but whoever it is, I think we can expect some contracted players to leave along with the exodus of players out of contract.
If Anel thinks he belongs in the top flight then he should get himself a stage at the Edinburgh Fringe during the summer, as he'll make a fortune from jokes like that. It wouldn't surprise me if Souza was the other given his recent interview. Good luck trying to get another top flight or newly promoted team to buy him.

Back
Top Bottom