Bettis radio sheff tomorrow

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Whilst I admit I don't fully understand the role of a "Director of Football", I'm still suspicious of what our recruitment strategy is going forward.

Since Wilder's arrival in 2016 we have made some terrific signings, particularly the cheap ones (JOC, Didsy, Fleck, Baldock, Duffy), some not as great but not super expensive (Anel, Egans, Norwood) but then the worrying BIG money spends (Brewster, McB, Mousset, Berge) of which we have nothing to show for.

Got to do something different.
I think looking at recruitment based on the sucess of individual players is a mistake. Recruitment should be judged on whether overall it helped the club meet realistic aims.

Wilder built 3 teams in his last spell and here is my take on how he got on.

League 1 team - realistic aim - play-offs or better
Result - smashed the league with 100 points - a huge success

Championship team - realistic aim - survival then play-offs would have been ambitious given the funds made available
Result - 10th in year 1, promoted in year 2 - a huge success

Premier league team - realistic aims - stay up or build a team capable of getting promoted back to the Premier league
Result - year 1 a 9th place finish, followed by a pretty miserable relegation.

What I think you have to think about though, is that the team Wilder left behind, then came 5th and 2nd in the Championship. 70% of the minutes played last season were by players in that Premier league team. Over 80% if you count the youth players already at the club. Bogle, Lowe, Robinson, Osborn, Mcburnie, and Berge all significantly involved.

I recognise that many will disagree with my assesment of the Premier league recruitment but I can see why he ownership, given the budget they have available have returned to Wilder for a 4th go.

Honestly the way the fans are treated with this is beyond a joke . Sure the owner is remote in Saudi . Yes we have a fan engagement group according to Jon Halliwell who I contacted regarding but I’m still confused how it works . I’m a season ticket holder for 25 years plus right and all I get is a comical Ali interview with radio North Korea fuck sake . HOW ABOUT treating us as loyal customers and actually writing to us individually ( yes you have our names and address) explaining the crack and allowing us to respond in return. Fat chance . The next state communication will doubtless be the limited one regarding the urgency to renew our ST’s . Start treating the fans with more respect .
What do you want to know and what do you think is being kept from you?

Bettis appears from under his stone, after a catastrophic meltdown of the club since last May, and some on here, listen to and believe every word as if it’s gospel.It’s called gaslighting, or P.R. bollocks in old money.

Bettis can't win then can he.

Say nothing and be called a snake for not answering questions and avoiding the press.

Say something and have your words dismissed as PR bollocks.

Having listened to it he got asked very good questions and gave good answers. Some of those answers may have not been what we wanted to hear but he answered them anyway.

I think sometimes people forget he's the CEO not the owner. He'll give answers as a CEO does, without getting overly carried away or excited. He isn't there to give us every detail and tell us everything that is happening - in the same way the CEO of M&S doesn't tell us what their marketing strategy is for the next 18 months, and whether mens keks are going to have an extra 3% elastine in the fabric.

A club that has been relegated from the league (twice) can’t make the step up. If you sack managers then maybe CEO bears responsibility too. The premier league is a massive leap from the championship so maybe his managerial skills aren’t quite good enough

The EPL fan engagement standard states;

"Communication from ownership, Chair or CEO - The ownership, Chair or CEO of each club is to communicate to its fanbase at least twice per season, to provide club updates as well as outline the club’s priorities and plans"

The cynic may say the 2 appearances on RS this season by SB are just a means to meet the above requirements. The standard doesn't set out the medium to use so a written statement may suffice. Choosing RS against a background of non communication orchestrated by PA illustrates a thaw in the relationship and imo a welcome development.

The Clubs strategic communications have been poor for a number of years due to the owners desire to avoid scrutiny preferring scripted periodic appearances on You Tube. Against this background SB should be applauded for putting his head above the parapet and facing some difficult questions for the second time with Rob Staton. Staton also has shown the difference between an experienced presenter and the alternative amateurs. The Club will feel the interview was successful against a background of doom and gloom strategically assisted by advance announcements on the hotel and training ground.

So what was missing? SB from his answers seems to have no involvement in strategic planning. Setting, leading and developing and executing an organisations strategy is a usually a core key duty at the top of any CEO job description. The fact he is excluded from involvement in the sale and purchase of the Club and is unable to answer any questions indicates the Board, which is really Yusef G and Alghamedi reporting into the owner, are the real decision makers. It also explains why there is a lack of clarity on what the medium and long term plans are. Until one of these 3 individuals takes it upon themselves to explain where we are with the sale, why we have made so many mistakes and what the strategic impact relegation has on interested parties the club will continue to drift consequently affecting planning.

Why was this on RS and not one of our fan based you tube channels? I thought that was the Princes preference for communication to avoid tricky questions?

A club that has been relegated from the league (twice) can’t make the step up. If you sack managers then maybe CEO bears responsibility too. The premier league is a massive leap from the championship so maybe his managerial skills aren’t quite good enough
He may or may not be any good but that linkage is tenuous at best. To cope in this league we either needed better players or ones drilled very well to a system that could punch above collective weights. So blame the owner for not being rich enough (or at least not finding a reputable buyer who was), or the management team(s) for not doing what we did 5 years ago (and in their own way Luton are doing now). The best CEO in the world would not have made the difference in the short term.

So maybe’s and maybe’s then.... hardly compelling reasoning or evidence, is it.

Harsh to blame him personally for the size of the gap between the Premier League and the Championship.

How many clubs do you see sacking their CEO every time they change manager?

It comes across as a vindictive campaign against him, with no substantive supporting argument. He’s far from perfect, like the rest of us, but I don’t see why he should be hung out as a scapegoat.

He may or may not be any good but that linkage is tenuous at best. To cope in this league we either needed better players or ones drilled very well to a system that could punch above collective weights. So blame the owner for not being rich enough (or at least not finding a reputable buyer who was), or the management team(s) for not doing what we did 5 years ago (and in their own way Luton are doing now). The best CEO in the world would not have made the difference in the short term.
Fact that he’s failed in premier so if you sack managers then sack the CEO and yes get rid of the owner too.

The EPL fan engagement standard states;

"Communication from ownership, Chair or CEO - The ownership, Chair or CEO of each club is to communicate to its fanbase at least twice per season, to provide club updates as well as outline the club’s priorities and plans"
Finally, something that Wednesday exceed the EPL standard for

Bettis can't win then can he.

Say nothing and be called a snake for not answering questions and avoiding the press.

Say something and have your words dismissed as PR bollocks.

Having listened to it he got asked very good questions and gave good answers. Some of those answers may have not been what we wanted to hear but he answered them anyway.
I will take your word for it. Started listening on BBC Sounds and packed in after 5 mins because the first dickhead on didn't seem to understand the difference between asking a question and giving his own opinion for 5 mins. I tuned in to listen to Bettis not another supporter!!!

I will take your word for it. Started listening on BBC Sounds and packed in after 5 mins because the first dickhead on didn't seem to understand the difference between asking a question and giving his own opinion for 5 mins. I tuned in to listen to Bettis not another supporter!!!

I think they only had one call as their phone systems went down afterwards. Thankfully that actually led to some decent questions being submitted on e-mail and social media instead. To be fair to Staton he asked a lot of questions that people have been asking on this forum over the last few months.

I'd skip ahead a bit more on the recording of it.

i think we need more of this sort of thing from stephen bettis and prince abdullah especially for the 22k season ticket holders who put their hard earned cash upfront last summer

Who should be discussed in the same sentence?

Leon Clarke scored 28? goals for us in that league?
Other notable higher scorers of that league for other teams in recent years who are a million miles better than Mcburnie AND most cost less, Toney, Watkins, Bowen, Adams, Mitro, Brereton, Solanke.

He has been poor value.

I've read some nonsense on here over the years but this is right up there.

McBurnie scored 22 in 42 at the age of 22 the season before we signed him for £17m

Leon Clarke: scored 19 in 39 as a 32/33 year old. That is the only time he's ever managed double figures in the second tier.

Ivan Toney: probably a valid example. Well done. He's an outlier though.

Ollie Watkins cost Villa an initial £28m after scoring 25 in 46 for Brentford at the age of 24/25. He's also paid around 3x what McBurnie is.

Bowen: is a winger who cost West Ham £22m despite having 6 months left on his contract.

Adams: joined Southampton for £15m after scoring 22 in 46 for Birmingham at the age of 22. His scoring record in the PL is very similar to McBurnie's.

Mitrovic. Fulham paid £20m for him as an established PL side and he was on £100k per week in the Championship.

Brereton Diaz is so much better than McBurnie that he's playing in the same awful United team.

Dominic Solanke was signed by Bournemouth for £19m when they were in the top flight. It took him 39 Premier League games to score.

I don’t recall him ever spouting such bollocks as you’re renowned for.

“Stephen, what happened to the £27m Dozy put into the club”

:)

So maybe’s and maybe’s then.... hardly compelling reasoning or evidence, is it.

Harsh to blame him personally for the size of the gap between the Premier League and the Championship.

How many clubs do you see sacking their CEO every time they change manager?

It comes across as a vindictive campaign against him, with no substantive supporting argument. He’s far from perfect, like the rest of us, but I don’t see why he should be hung out as a scapegoat.

He sacked Andy.

I've read some nonsense on here over the years but this is right up there.

McBurnie scored 22 in 42 at the age of 22 the season before we signed him for £17m

Leon Clarke: scored 19 in 39 as a 32/33 year old. That is the only time he's ever managed double figures in the second tier.

Ivan Toney: probably a valid example. Well done. He's an outlier though.

Ollie Watkins cost Villa an initial £28m after scoring 25 in 46 for Brentford at the age of 24/25. He's also paid around 3x what McBurnie is.

Bowen: is a winger who cost West Ham £22m despite having 6 months left on his contract.

Adams: joined Southampton for £15m after scoring 22 in 46 for Birmingham at the age of 22. His scoring record in the PL is very similar to McBurnie's.

Mitrovic. Fulham paid £20m for him as an established PL side and he was on £100k per week in the Championship.

Brereton Diaz is so much better than McBurnie that he's playing in the same awful United team.

Dominic Solanke was signed by Bournemouth for £19m when they were in the top flight. It took him 39 Premier League games to score.

So you’re saying 24 league goals in 141 games is good value for 17 million quid?

How does a club or a fan base get rid of an owner? See our friends in S6 for example...
By making his ownership of the club become so embarrassing on nationwide tv from crowd demos during game. You can’t sack a board obviously but our crowd never boos or calls him out.

Back
Top Bottom