Bettis radio sheff tomorrow

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S
I'm not sure you understand the role of a CEO in a football club if you think he can have any influence on what happens on the pitch.
I don’t recall him ever spouting such bollocks as you’re renowned for.

“Stephen, what happened to the £27m Dozy put into the club”

:)
same old. Never did i ever say he gave 27m and you know it.

By making his ownership of the club become so embarrassing on nationwide tv from crowd demos during game. You can’t sack a board obviously but our crowd never boos or calls him out.
He’s a businessman and doesn’t live in the UK or attend matches. How much effect do you think it would have on his life?

Also, and I get that you will probably struggle with this, although all of us would love a new, very wealthy owner not everyone hates Prince Abdullah in the way that you do.

He’s a businessman and doesn’t live in the UK or attend matches. How much effect do you think it would have on his life?

Also, and I get that you will probably struggle with this, although all of us would love a new, very wealthy owner not everyone hates Prince Abdullah in the way that you do.
I don’t hate him he is no good for the good. In terms of affecting him he keeps on bleating about how it is affecting him but the worst thing of all for someone from the middle east is to embarrass them into how they are penniless and guess what we don’t as a fan base and we let him off the hook.

I don’t hate him he is no good for the good. In terms of affecting him he keeps on bleating about how it is affecting him but the worst thing of all for someone from the middle east is to embarrass them into how they are penniless and guess what we don’t as a fan base and we let him off the hook.
That’s because the whole of the fanbase doesn’t agree with you.

He isn’t penniless, by the way. He’s a very wealthy bloke by the standards of most people. He just doesn’t have enough money to sustain a club at the level we’re at. Very few people do.

By making his ownership of the club become so embarrassing on nationwide tv from crowd demos during game. You can’t sack a board obviously but our crowd never boos or calls him out.
It's a real frustration, and one of (many things) wrong with the current state of the game.
Reading fans have gone down the route that you propose - routine coordinated throwing of tennis balls onto the pitch during matches, and invading the pitch at the Port Vale game leading to abandonment of the game. Owner has carried on (not paying the bills) oblivious - he doesn't give a toss.
If the owner doesn't give a toss what the fans or media think, then they can do nothing to displace him.
I don't think that the Prince is in that place - I think he cares deeply about the club, to the extent of having put a lot of time and money into us ( roars of outrage). However, I don't think that he deserves a fan revolt, and if we did one I think it would just further damage the club, and prospects of a sale. I think his only real crime is that, despite being extremely rich, he isn't rich enough to raise us from our current depleted state into being competitive with the established Premier League squads and set-ups. His only solution to this ( while actively seeking better financial investment) is to get us up to the golden trough at regular intervals to slowly strengthen our position, while building and recruiting for the future. I think he's done that reasonably well.

I thought he spoke well, the first caller was a clown trying to sound intelligent and failing.

One issue did annoy me though, he indicated we got around £30m for Sander and Illiman, yet in the next breath said we’d never get another player like Illiman unless we spent tens of millions, begs the question why didn’t we charge them more, they wanted him, he wanted the move and we roll over

I will take your word for it. Started listening on BBC Sounds and packed in after 5 mins because the first dickhead on didn't seem to understand the difference between asking a question and giving his own opinion for 5 mins. I tuned in to listen to Bettis not another supporter!!!
He (Rhys from memory), certainly liked the sound of his own voice. The rest of the show was more listenable and Bettis didn’t duck any question.

I find him hard to listen to, his accent grates, my prejudice, he doesn’t need to say “and that’s an honest answer” to every question, I’d hope it would be. And it’s “world” not “weld”.

The fact they're letting Wilder remain in charge of recruitment scares the life out of me, not that I'm expecting him to have any money to waste in the summer, after all Slav was given none despite parachute payments, and Hecky was only given enough to sign Anel the following season.

I suppose it'll be back to statements about wanting to go back up as quickly as possible whilst not giving the manager the resources or players to achieve this, other than spunking money on season long Premier League loan players who leave us short in those positions when they go back at the end of the season.

I imagine the same old end of season "We made mistakes but we're learning" statement will rear it's familiar head again come the end of next season.

This club badly needs to enter the 21st century. We need a director of football badly. I can only think that the only reason we're not going down this route is because Wilder refuses to work with one, like he did last time round, and he's set an ultimatum of hire a DOF and I walk. Well let him walk then. He shouldn't be allowed to spend another penny of this club's money after two summers of absymal big money wastage on utter crap last time round, and Mason "too s**t for relegation rivals Everton and promption chasing Soton" Holgate this season.

Let him coach the team and let someone else recruit players and deals with transfers and contracts. Wilder cannot be trusted.
But all the players our DOF Jan Van Winkle recommended to buy , when we were promoted to the Prem under Chris Wilder, haven't all worked out well for the club. Also many not very aware fans blame Chris Wilder. But Abdullah set great store in Jan's recommendations. So I doubt Chris Wilder will want another stint under a terrible DOF ! To give JVW his due he had the decency to resign

I thought he spoke well, the first caller was a clown trying to sound intelligent and failing.

One issue did annoy me though, he indicated we got around £30m for Sander and Illiman, yet in the next breath said we’d never get another player like Illiman unless we spent tens of millions, begs the question why didn’t we charge them more, they wanted him, he wanted the move and we roll over

Last year of his contract and OM knew he wasn't going to sign a new deal with us.

Whilst I admit I don't fully understand the role of a "Director of Football", I'm still suspicious of what our recruitment strategy is going forward.

Since Wilder's arrival in 2016 we have made some terrific signings, particularly the cheap ones (JOC, Didsy, Fleck, Baldock, Duffy), some not as great but not super expensive (Anel, Egans, Norwood) but then the worrying BIG money spends (Brewster, McB, Mousset, Berge) of which we have nothing to show for.

Got to do something different.
The worrying ones courtesy of our DOF Jan Van Winckel.

Yeah he did, I do still think it's unusual for a team in our position to be having so many players basically on the equivalent of 1 year rolling deals. It makes it difficult to sell or hold onto players of value and makes things feel fragile in terms of mid-term planning but in fairness I don't think there's many of those players that people would want tied down to long term deals and the 1 year options leave us in a position of strength when it comes to making decisions on the squad.
Abdullah prefers last minute contracts so he isn't paying improved terms until the very last minute. As happens in American Football. But this isn't America or American football ! In the same way he says he prefers deals on the last day of the transfer window as he says everyone left, who no one else wants, is cheaper. I don't agree with the blithering idiot I'm just quoting what he has said.

So you’re saying 24 league goals in 141 games is good value for 17 million quid?
No. I'm just saying you picked some ridiculous comparisons.

McBurnie was as good as we could have hoped for as an unfashionable club promoted against expectations and then widely excited to finish rock bottom.

Defending corners he's our best defender on the pitch. Stopping opposition goals is vital
Agreed re defending corners but its absolutely laughable how vulnerable we are to set pieces when he's not on tje pitch. Who is responsible for signing all our weak as @@@@ centre backs who can't head a ball?

Bettis can't win then can he.

Say nothing and be called a snake for not answering questions and avoiding the press.

Say something and have your words dismissed as PR bollocks.

Having listened to it he got asked very good questions and gave good answers. Some of those answers may have not been what we wanted to hear but he answered them anyway.
Aw poor, poor Stephen.He’s deigned to speak to us after, such a shitshow of a season, brought on in part, by our own mismanagement, and for which he must take some responsibility for, and some of us,dare to come on here and say we aren’t grateful.We even have the effrontery to say, he’s spinning to get him and his boss off the hook.It’s just not fair.
Stop drinking the Kool Aid!!!

Aw poor, poor Stephen.He’s deigned to speak to us after, such a shitshow of a season, brought on in part, by our own mismanagement, and for which he must take some responsibility for, and some of us,dare to come on here and say we aren’t grateful.We even have the effrontery to say, he’s spinning to get him and his boss off the hook.It’s just not fair.
I doubt he recommends players or has the final say on huge fees for players who haven’t done too well. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Wilder and The Prince.

I doubt he recommends players or has the final say on huge fees for players who haven’t done too well. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Wilder and The Prince.
So do I, but as Chief Exec of the football club, he has to be, at least in part responsible for the shitshow, since May.

So do I, but as Chief Exec of the football club, he has to be, at least in part responsible for the shitshow, since May.
Why only since May? He’s held that position for some years. Has his remit changed so he’s involved in scouting and signing players these days?

Very harsh. Norwood was outstanding in his first 2 seasons with the club. He was instrumental to the way we played, one of the best midfielders we've had in last 30/40 years for what he was brought in to do.

Sadly the team around him changed and our style of play / lack of it changed and so has Norwood with regards getting older slower and legs seem to have gone. Just people have short memories.

Likewise for egan he was colossal at times for us, but as the team and players change and the style of play the more he's been exposed and started to struggle.

I agree that these two were great value for money and fantastic signings, problem we have is weve never upgraded, just gone backwards.
Spot on

Two outstanding contributors and fantastic team players

Oh to find two more like them !

That’s because the whole of the fanbase doesn’t agree with you.

He isn’t penniless, by the way. He’s a very wealthy bloke by the standards of most people. He just doesn’t have enough money to sustain a club at the level we’re at. Very few people do.
And it seems he lost his mojo at a critical time for around 18 months? or so just as PH was appointed.

This , imo , resulted in the lack of focus and planning needed for the longer term hence we are suffering currently somewhat as a consequence of this .

I don’t dislike him for not having money , I dislike him for absconding

Why only since May? He’s held that position for some years. Has his remit changed so he’s involved in scouting and signing players these days?
Of course not.I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, by saying May, but, really the seeds of the catastrophe leading to Hecky being left high and dry, in August, with barely a side to pick from, at the seasons start were sewn way before May, The sheer stupidity of manoevring yourself into a position, where you have to sell your prized assets on the eve of the season, was breathtakingly inept, and If he bears no responsibility at all, for that situation, or negotiating player contracts,you have to wonder what he actually is responsible for.
However, I do agree, the person most responsible for this shitshow of a season,resides In Riyadh, and he‘s now sending Bettis out to bat for him.

He fully admits the summer didn't go quite to plan. Not helped by Ndiaye's indecision and Burnley waiting to come in with a better offer. Sometimes their are things out of our control.

Ideal world Ndiaye and Berge leave early doors in the summer and it gives us chance to prepare better.

He fully admits the summer didn't go quite to plan. Not helped by Ndiaye's indecision and Burnley waiting to come in with a better offer. Sometimes their are things out of our control.

Ideal world Ndiaye and Berge leave early doors in the summer and it gives us chance to prepare better.
That reasoning doesn’t atone for the shite we bought before they went though does it ?

We had a budget so small that we couldn’t do anything until we sold our best players who both didn’t want to stay (and can you blame them) if we’d shown some ambition in recruitment Berge would have agreed a new contract and most likely Ndiaye regardless of his boyhood club

There’s lots of sad losers in this world,who’ll tell you, they’ve just had a bit of bad luck, and there was nothing I could do.
The successful ones, and clubs are generally the ones that, plan adjust,and take control.
Wonder what Hecky made of it all on the night before the Palace game.
If you’re satisfied with, …. what could I do?it was just one of those things….good luck to you mate.Enjoy what’s coming down the line, next year,unless he and the Prince do one.

Back
Top Bottom