54 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Although I wasn't at the match but after watching the highlights of the match on YTV, I decided to become a committed Blade.

FA Cup 3rd round 1970. Blades 2 (Reece, Addison) Everton 1 (Ball pen)

View attachment 177076
View attachment 177077
i was at the game silent unbelievable atmosphere that day 2 great crosses from woody and 2 great headers especially gils everton fans were setting fire to their scarves on the lane end that day

I was there that day and just watching that youtube clip of the game has altered my view on it. If i was asked about deardens header i would have told you he dove full length to power it home and was the best diving header id ever seen , watching it now it was just a good header, perhaps its better not seeing these video clips as it alters your memories. Lucky for me i will have forgot about this video in a couple of days time and be back to remembering the best diving header ever

Although I wasn't at the match but after watching the highlights of the match on YTV, I decided to become a committed Blade.

View attachment 177076
View attachment 177077
I was there. We beat the league champions. We were in the second division going for promotion and it was on TV. First time balls into the box from the cross master Woodward. Two relatively small players in height Reece and Addison attacking the ball in the box and getting headers on target. A rarity today.

I was there that day and just watching that youtube clip of the game has altered my view on it. If i was asked about deardens header i would have told you he dove full length to power it home and was the best diving header id ever seen , watching it now it was just a good header, perhaps its better not seeing these video clips as it alters your memories. Lucky for me i will have forgot about this video in a couple of days time and be back to remembering the best diving header ever
Dearden?

I was there, and my Dad was at Hillsborough where they beat WBA 2-1 (Tony Brown worldie for WBA). Strangely both matches kicked off at 3:00 pm. We compared notes about the games that evening ......
Bert also in attendance.

He also recalls on one occasion we kicked off at 2.45 and them 3.15 or vice versa.

I was there. We beat the league champions. We were in the second division going for promotion and it was on TV. First time balls into the box from the cross master Woodward. Two relatively small players in height Reece and Addison attacking the ball in the box and getting headers on target. A rarity today.
I don't remember Dearden being all that tall either! 😄

View attachment 177076
View attachment 177077
Wow ! I rarely remember games but I have always remembered that one which I attended with my late father in the old John street stand.
A few years later I met Colin Addison at a party in Nottingham and spoke to him about that match.
Thanks for reviving the memory

Not Dearden , it was Reece & Addison (but all heroes).
The best diving header I ever saw at the Lane was Reece v Brum - the 'Flying Welshman' article featured a photo of him horizontal in mid-air.
That might be the diving header you are thinking of.

yes we tore everton to bits that day as a league 2 side and did the same to leeds a few months later

I was there too, on the Kop.
Televised highlights too.
Remember Ted Hemsley and Whittle having a set-to.
In my 15 year old enthusiasm I think I went to Derby in the next round where we got well beaten on a terrible pitch against tougher opposition.

I was there too, on the Kop.
Televised highlights too.
Remember Ted Hemsley and Whittle having a set-to.
In my 15 year old enthusiasm I think I went to Derby in the next round where we got well beaten on a terrible pitch against tougher opposition.
Bert also enthusiastically went to Derby. We were well beaten.

Rough afternoon on the terrace under the stand as well.

The only bright spot was seeing on the scoreboard at the end that 4th Division Scunthorpe had beaten Wednesday at home.

A couple of us 12 year olds went on the footy special to Derby. (Wouldn't happen now eh?). We were well beaten that day. At the old Baseball ground, the away fans seemed to be in a terrace that was actually below the level of the pitch. Remember thinking the shit tip of a pitch actually stank like summat from a horror film.....

Thanks for reminding me of this fantastic match. We hammered the Champions and should have been 2 or 3 up at halftime but in the United way went in 1 down. 2 Woody crosses 2 headers 2 goals sorted that. I can still picture Gil Reece leaping up and sending that great header past a motionless Gordon West. Dancing in the fountain on the way back to Pond Street.

That game was when we realised that what a great Sheffield United team we had, easily the best in my lifetime.

Thanks again Silent Blade.

Bert also enthusiastically went to Derby. We were well beaten.

Rough afternoon on the terrace under the stand as well.

The only bright spot was seeing on the scoreboard at the end that 4th Division Scunthorpe had beaten Wednesday at home.
we were also on the pop side terrace at the baseball ground that day for some unknown reason united sold us tickets for derbys side of the pop but police let us climb over wall in to the united side while getting pelted with everything lol derby tried 3/4 times to get over railings in to our section but came unstuck every time badly

Remember this match very well. got shot by Hodgy just before kickoff. 1-0 down at halftime.two fantastic goals in one of the best FA Cup games I have seen at Bramall Lane. I lost the programme. however, I bought one on eBay and got it today. even got the league review in mint condition as well. went to the FA Cup 4th round away at Derby. spent the last twenty min of the first half sitting on the pitch. crowd surge the next minute a copper grabbed me and put me on the pitch. You can see that on YouTube.but I cannot see myself. focus is not very good. I don't know how to alter it on my computer. lost 3-0.i am pretty sure the Currie For England was chanted by a big following of Blade, fans.my first away match apart from visiting the shithouse for a testimonial game. drew 2-2 against wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom