70 Years Ago Today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HodgysBrokenThumb

Reaction score
August 29, 1953
United 3-4 Blackpool
(Hagan, Wragg 2)
Attendance: 35,171

Forgive me the self-indulgence of some reflections on an important anniversary for me, but I hope some of them connect with the present in perhaps surprising ways, and will be of some interest.
70 years ago today, I attended my first match at Bramall Lane, aged 6. Near-neighbours had, like many other families, acquired this strange new-fangled machine, a black-and-white 12-inch screen TV, and we were invited to watch the main reason for the acquisition, the Coronation of the Queen. I was not impressed. But when it came to an invite to watch the 1953 Cup Final (Bolton 3-4 Blackpool), a 6-year-old who was always kicking a ball around fell in love with the idea of watching football. My dad and older brother were regulars at The Lane, so although I missed the first home game of the 1953-54 season (Monday evening), there was no keeping me away from watching the game the following Saturday, against Cup-winners Blackpool, and the most famous footballer of the era, Stanley Matthews. The 1953 Cup Final has always been known as the ‘Matthews Final’, despite the fact that centre-forward Stan Mortensen scored the only hat-trick ever scored in a Cup Final at the old Wembley. Years later, when Matthews attended Mortensen’s funeral, one wag commented that it would always be known as the ‘Matthews funeral’.
We stood at the front of the Bramall Lane end, I assume for safety reasons, given my tender age, but I was soon a regular on the Kop. I have no recall of details of the game, but a clear memory of being totally bowled over by the experience - the noise, the power and the skill of the players, the emotion of goals scored and goals conceded. I was hooked. And now to some links to the present, and a wish that some youngsters going to their first games now end up getting as much out of football as I have.
1. United had just won promotion to the top division, and the first 2 games were against the League champions, Arsenal, and Cup-winners, Blackpool. 70 years later, and we have just won promotion, and 2 days ago we played the League champions and Cup winners on the same day, Man City. 1953 went a little better, with a 1-0 victory over Arsenal, and a 4-3 defeat against Blackpool. Our brief moment near the top of the League soon passed, but we did not get relegated.
2. I have spent 70 years watching United, and we are basically where we were when I started. In between, we have been down to the 4th Division, and everwhere in between. We have won little, and the immediate future is not exactly positive. But it has been a big part of my life, shared with family and friends. 70 years ago, it was celebrating goals with father and brother (and sharing the downs, of course). 2 days ago, still on the Kop, behind the goal, it was celebrating Bogle’s goal against Man City with members of 2 younger generations. A sublime moment, even though (inevitably?) disappointment soon followed.
3. United are not a club for the glory-hunter, but 70 years on we are back where I started. That means that for every relegation there has been a promotion. For every Walsall game, there has been a re-birth, as in the Division 4 season. For every Boxing Day Massacre, there has been a Bouncing Day. For every Nigel Adkins, there has been a Chris Wilder. There has been the joy of watching Hodgy and Joe Shaw, Currie and Woodward, Edwards and Morris, Deane and Agana, etc. And pride in seeing youngsters like Badger and Bernard Shaw established in the first-team; if only we could have kept Naughton and Walker for a few more years… And all this with the ritual of walking in anticipation to The Lane on match days with family and friends. That, for me, is how football should be.
4. And, finally, a recognition that football is much, much better now than 70 years ago. The 2 things I would love to bring back, but fear they never will, are: a more equal distribution of money, so that the height of ambition for promoted teams is no longer finishing 1 place above relegation; and a return to a situation where other clubs’ fans are fellow football fans rather than the enemy. There was much fun to be had mingling with other fans in the 1950s and early 1960s, and the game today is the worse for it.
For the historians, below are some pages from the match programme:9F482C07-445D-4C72-B663-C367EC97FC15.jpeg77944EBF-E2D3-4259-AB2D-3B87ECBB7A0C.jpeg1EF4D76D-4886-4A90-B12E-4E48CF5471EC.jpeg2237951D-BAC2-4074-867A-48CED26F403A.jpeg

The 1953 Cup Final has always been known as the ‘Matthews Final’, despite the fact that centre-forward Stan Mortensen scored the only hat-trick ever scored in a Cup Final at the old Wembley. Years later, when Matthews attended Mortensen’s funeral, one wag commented that it would always be known as the ‘Matthews funeral’.
🤣 Brilliant!

Hodgy - Absolutely wonderful post mate. I may have been there, ( I think I was cos' I remember Hagan doing a brilliant in-off against Wragg's shin pads for one of Wragg's goals.) but the photo I have on my wall and is my Avatar must have been taken that day. It is incorrectly labelled 1952 but must be this day. Only a few matches when both Browning and Rawson played together. Very good read, 5 Stars.!

August 29, 1953
United 3-4 Blackpool
(Hagan, Wragg 2)

Forgive me the self-indulgence of some reflections on an important anniversary for me, but I hope some of them connect with the present in perhaps surprising ways, and will be of some interest.
70 years ago today, I attended my first match at Bramall Lane, aged 6. Near-neighbours had, like many other families, acquired this strange new-fangled machine, a black-and-white 12-inch screen TV, and we were invited to watch the main reason for the acquisition, the Coronation of the Queen. I was not impressed. But when it came to an invite to watch the 1953 Cup Final (Bolton 3-4 Blackpool), a 6-year-old who was always kicking a ball around fell in love with the idea of watching football. My dad and older brother were regulars at The Lane, so although I missed the first home game of the 1953-54 season (Monday evening), there was no keeping me away from watching the game the following Saturday, against Cup-winners Blackpool, and the most famous footballer of the era, Stanley Matthews. The 1953 Cup Final has always been known as the ‘Matthews Final’, despite the fact that centre-forward Stan Mortensen scored the only hat-trick ever scored in a Cup Final at the old Wembley. Years later, when Matthews attended Mortensen’s funeral, one wag commented that it would always be known as the ‘Matthews funeral’.
We stood at the front of the Bramall Lane end, I assume for safety reasons, given my tender age, but I was soon a regular on the Kop. I have no recall of details of the game, but a clear memory of being totally bowled over by the experience - the noise, the power and the skill of the players, the emotion of goals scored and goals conceded. I was hooked. And now to some links to the present, and a wish that some youngsters going to their first games now end up getting as much out of football as I have.
1. United had just won promotion to the top division, and the first 2 games were against the League champions, Arsenal, and Cup-winners, Blackpool. 70 years later, and we have just won promotion, and 2 days ago we played the League champions and Cup winners on the same day, Man City. 1953 went a little better, with a 1-0 victory over Arsenal, and a 4-3 defeat against Blackpool. Our brief moment near the top of the League soon passed, but we did not get relegated.
2. I have spent 70 years watching United, and we are basically where we were when I started. In between, we have been down to the 4th Division, and everwhere in between. We have won little, and the immediate future is not exactly positive. But it has been a big part of my life, shared with family and friends. 70 years ago, it was celebrating goals with father and brother (and sharing the downs, of course). 2 days ago, still on the Kop, behind the goal, it was celebrating Bogle’s goal against Man City with members of 2 younger generations. A sublime moment, even though (inevitably?) disappointment soon followed.
3. United are not a club for the glory-hunter, but 70 years on we are back where I started. That means that for every relegation there has been a promotion. For every Walsall game, there has been a re-birth, as in the Division 4 season. For every Boxing Day Massacre, there has been a Bouncing Day. For every Nigel Adkins, there has been a Chris Wilder. There has been the joy of watching Hodgy and Joe Shaw, Currie and Woodward, Edwards and Morris, Deane and Agana, etc. And pride in seeing youngsters like Badger and Bernard Shaw established in the first-team; if only we could have kept Naughton and Walker for a few more years… And all this with the ritual of walking in anticipation to The Lane on match days with family and friends. That, for me, is how football should be.
4. And, finally, a recognition that football is much, much better now than 70 years ago. The 2 things I would love to bring back, but fear they never will, are: a more equal distribution of money, so that the height of ambition for promoted teams is no longer finishing 1 place above relegation; and a return to a situation where other clubs’ fans are fellow football fans rather than the enemy. There was much fun to be had mingling with other fans in the 1950s and early 1960s, and the game today is the worse for it.
For the historians, below are some pages from the match programme:View attachment 169619View attachment 169617View attachment 169618View attachment 169616
Probably the best post I've seen on here. Thankyou.
Up The Blades

August 29, 1953
United 3-4 Blackpool
(Hagan, Wragg 2)

For the historians, below are some pages from the match programme:View attachment 169619View attachment 169617View attachment 169618View attachment 169616

Brilliant post HBT and one filled with sentiments and memories which very much align with my own .

That Blackpool team was a joy to watch . I was a great admirer of Harry Johnston who , whilst being on the small side for a centre half had great positional sense and a fine footballing brain .

Until a certain gentleman who also played that day moved to that position , he was best I had seen ……

Thanks HBT. Well written with some pertinent observations. I was at that match but opposite end to you, in The Kop- right at the front, behind the goal. For some reason it is one of the matches I vividly remember. Maybe because , like you, I was only a young lad (early teens) and Blackpool, then , were household names..
Obviously, everytime Matthews got the ball the crowd became animated but I seem to remember that Jimmy Hagan, strangely, was always close to him and kept him relatively quiet. Yes, they did have tactics in those days. Jimmy, himself scored but I can't remember if Stan did.
Also, as mentioned by Isaw Joe, above, who would have thought that our Right Half would become the great centre half that he became. He would have got many England caps but for Billy Wright, of Wolves. I always thought that Joe was better than Billy anyway, but maybe I was biased. What price would Joe Shaw fetch to day?
Great days when football did not have all the baggage of today. Thanks for the memories HBT.

I'm glad I'm still considered to be the younger generation!
This was number one on August 29th 1953. Quite apt!

Last edited:
🤣 Brilliant!
Glad to know we share a sense of humour. I have always remembered that comment (the funeral was 1991), but I have just been searching for who said/wrote it, and it only comes up with ‘a journalist’. Too irreverent for anyone to put their name to it, perhaps?

Seems funny to think, along with everything else, how different the formations were.
They were probably not as different as the conventional programme layout suggests. Probably in 1953, but certainly by the time I was a bit more sophisticated (😂) in footballing systems, the number 5 was a central defender, one of the wing-halves was defence-minded and the other more creative and further forward, and one of the inside-forwards was a midfield creator, and the other more of a goal scorer/second-striker. So in effect, it was on the way to a 4-2-4 formation. The big difference was that the 2 full-backs and the centre-half rarely crossed the half-way line, and the wingers would not lower themselves by going back beyond the halfway line to do a bit of defending.

Hodgy - Absolutely wonderful post mate. I may have been there, ( I think I was cos' I remember Hagan doing a brilliant in-off against Wragg's shin pads for one of Wragg's goals.) but the photo I have on my wall and is my Avatar must have been taken that day. It is incorrectly labelled 1952 but must be this day. Only a few matches when both Browning and Rawson played together. Very good read, 5 Stars.!
Many thanks, and congratulations on your memory. And on your detective work in dating the photo. I was going to ask you to post a larger version of it, but it doesn’t look as if the Bramall Lane end is in the background, so I won’t be able to spot the 6-year-old me at the front…

Brilliant post HBT and one filled with sentiments and memories which very much align with my own .

That Blackpool team was a joy to watch . I was a great admirer of Harry Johnston who , whilst being on the small side for a centre half had great positional sense and a fine footballing brain .

Until a certain gentleman who also played that day moved to that position , he was best I had seen ……
Do you remember seeing Joe Shaw as a wing-half? I obviously did, but don’t remember it. Is there a story behind his change of position?

Many thanks, and congratulations on your memory. And on your detective work in dating the photo. I was going to ask you to post a larger version of it, but it doesn’t look as if the Bramall Lane end is in the background, so I won’t be able to spot the 6-year-old me at the front…
No, its outside the old players tunnel looking towards the Kop end, and particularly that strange configuration in the top corner, which used to fascinate me as a kid, where you got a side view of the spectators up against some railings. I think that area got a bomb on it in the war.

Thanks HBT. Well written with some pertinent observations. I was at that match but opposite end to you, in The Kop- right at the front, behind the goal. For some reason it is one of the matches I vividly remember. Maybe because , like you, I was only a young lad (early teens) and Blackpool, then , were household names..
Obviously, everytime Matthews got the ball the crowd became animated but I seem to remember that Jimmy Hagan, strangely, was always close to him and kept him relatively quiet. Yes, they did have tactics in those days. Jimmy, himself scored but I can't remember if Stan did.
Also, as mentioned by Isaw Joe, above, who would have thought that our Right Half would become the great centre half that he became. He would have got many England caps but for Billy Wright, of Wolves. I always thought that Joe was better than Billy anyway, but maybe I was biased. What price would Joe Shaw fetch to day?
Great days when football did not have all the baggage of today. Thanks for the memories HBT.
Perhaps Hagan was helping out Graham Shaw? It must have been quite an experience for a 19-year-old full-back to mark the Superstar (a word not invented then) of the time.

No, its outside the old players tunnel looking towards the Kop end, and particularly that strange configuration in the top corner, which used to fascinate me as a kid, where you got a side view of the spectators up against some railings. I think that area got a bomb on it in the war.
The photo below confirms the accuracy of your memory:
IMG_5785.jpeg

Do you remember seeing Joe Shaw as a wing-half? I obviously did, but don’t remember it. Is there a story behind his change of position?
That's a good question and one which still resonates with me. As I recall it now Joe was wing half when Howard Johnson at CH got injured, (broken collar bone, v Barnsley, 30th January 1953) Joe moved to cover the CH role and did a hell of a job at it.
I remember walking home with Dad with him saying " I think thats the best Joe Shaw has played for us, we ought to keep him there." and me disagreeing on grounds of height and weight etc. What did I know.?!
Interesting to note that the result that day 3-0 to us, and Parkinson's big mate Skinner Normanton gave us an o.g for the first goal.!!
Cribbing from Clarebrough,s book, Joe was chosen at CH on Aug 28 , 1954. Then I think Johnson came back and then retired , and Mercer bought Barrass from Bolton as replacement but he didn't impress me, ( or Dad ).
Clarebrough's notes then record that on Sept 7th , 1957( v Bristol R) the defence read for the first time;- Hodgkinson, Coldwell, G Shaw: Richardson, J Shaw, Summers.
The rest , as they say, is History.

Last edited:

The answer is that like you , I most certainly would have seen him play in that role but have no clear recollection of watching him play in it .

As for the story behind his change of position , I looked into this some years ago and it appears that it took place in the early part of the ‘54 / 55 season after a couple of heavy defeats and was instigated by Reg Freeman in what must have been a brave move , given Joe’s height and relatively slight build as compared to most other centre halves at the time and the centre forwards he would come up against .

Much to Freeman’s credit , it turned out to be a master stroke and one which provided Blades supporters over the next 10 years or so with innumerable sublime examples of the art of defending .

That's a good question and one which still resonates with me. As I recall it now Joe was wing half when Howard Johnson at CH got injured, (broken collar bone, v Barnsley, 30th January 1953) Joe moved to cover the CH role and did a hell of a job at it.
I remember walking home with Dad with him saying " I think thats the best Joe Shaw has played for us, we ought to keep him there." and me disagreeing on grounds of height and weight etc. What did I know.?!
Interesting to note that the result that day 3-0 to us, and Parkinson's big mate Skinner Normanton gave us an o.g for the first goal.!!
Cribbing from Clarebrough,s book, Joe was chosen at CH on Aug 28 , 1954. Then I think Johnson came back and then retired , and Mercer bought Barrass from Bolton as replacement but he didn't impress me, ( or Dad ).
Clarebrough's notes then record that on Sept 7th , 1957( v Bristol R) the defence read for the first time;- Hodgkinson, Coldwell, G Shaw: Richardson, J Shaw, Summers.
The rest , as they say, is History.
The one bit of the story I remember directly is the signing of Malcolm Barrass, and the shadow it cast over Mercer’s reputation as a manager here. Despite my tender age, I did convince myself that I invented a witticism along the lines of ‘Say aloud M. Barrass, and you hear what he does.’ A bit sophisticated for an 8-year-old, so I suspect my role has been made up.

Back
Top Bottom