1963-64 (60 years ago) match reports and photos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gordon West, a young record-for-a-goalkeeper signing, was outstanding for Everton. He had caught my eye before,playing for Blackpool as a very young keeper. I was convinced he would be the next England keeper, but in fact he only won 3 caps. Whether this was because I was wrong about him, or he didn’t develop as much as hoped, or he had the misfortune to coincide with another Gordon from this part of the world, Gordon Banks, I don’t know. But he was outstanding that day.
Gordon was in the England squad that toured Mexico, Uruguay and Brazil in June 1969. He played against Mexico but refused a place in the 1970 World Cup squad because he wanted to stay at home with his family.

29/2/1964

Ipswich 1 (Baxter) Blades 0

Jackie Milburn was Ipswich's manager at the time and he didnt have much success, Ipswich finished the season bottom of the 1st division and they conceded a total of 121 league goals!

Tom Fenoughty's debut.

1709194993516.png

It was John Parks only league match for us.

1709194475776.png
Ips64gu1.jpg
Ips64gu2.jpg
Ips64mt1.jpg
Ips64mt2.jpg

Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

The recent improvement stalled, again because of the chronic lack of goals scored. 2 new youngsters up front, 2 goals disallowed for offside, and a defeat to the bottom team did not help keep up the recent (slight) momentum. The biggest surprise for me in the match reports is the fact that Coldwell had 2 attempts on goal. That must have been a record!

Made me smile with reference to Big Reg Matthewson. If memory serves me well, I think he was about 5ft 10ins tall. And the fabulous Joe Shaw even smaller, same with Doc Pace and Hodgy. Compare with today and it's like the Land of giants. Eddie Colquhoun was only around 6ft, but was the first 'big' centre half I recall us having. How times have changed 😏.

I had completely forgotten this game. John Harris appeared to be very cautious as a manager, yet he twice experimented with playing left-backs in the forward line (Cliff Mason at outside-right, and Graham Shaw here at centre-forward). And both experiments were up to a point successful.

Another match that has been wiped from the memory bank. I don’t even remember the pop group performing before the game. According to the programme to the following home game, this was part of a broader plan to engage younger supporters:94DCF752-2397-46D6-A60D-CC09994F4492.jpeg
The wife of the drummer posted on the Sheffield Forum that the lead singer moved to Canada in 1965, so the group ceased to exist.

At last, the good times return! Easter, with matches Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and as you will no doubt be revealing shortly, it was a very satisfactory holiday period, particularly after the long run of poor results.
With no school football, I actually made it to this game, and to the best of my knowledge, this was the only time I saw Joe Shaw score a goal; mind you, he only scored 7 League and Cup goals… and I don’t recall any others. The one at Arsenal was a thing of beauty, and is my only direct memory of the game. I think the rest of the game was overshadowed by the excitement of a day in London, topped off with an evening at Battersea funfair, followed by a very late train back to Sheffield. Just before midnight, I think, arriving in Sheffield in the wee small hours. The simple pleasures of life as a teenager.

dont remember the game silent but what a fantastic scoreline i first started going to the lane 64/65 so this thread coming up to the start for me keep up these great threads for us oldies 👍
Am hoping to complete two more 60 years ago today threads. 64/65 and 65/66 seasons. We already have 66/67 and 67/68 threads in here.

At last, the good times return! Easter, with matches Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and as you will no doubt be revealing shortly, it was a very satisfactory holiday period, particularly after the long run of poor results.
With no school football, I actually made it to this game, and to the best of my knowledge, this was the only time I saw Joe Shaw score a goal; mind you, he only scored 7 League and Cup goals… and I don’t recall any others. The one at Arsenal was a thing of beauty, and is my only direct memory of the game. I think the rest of the game was overshadowed by the excitement of a day in London, topped off with an evening at Battersea funfair, followed by a very late train back to Sheffield. Just before midnight, I think, arriving in Sheffield in the wee small hours. The simple pleasures of life as a teenager.
Despite him only scoring 7 goals, he got them in 3 different decades 1949-64.. Not many others have done that. I reckon only the following

Ernest Needham 1891-1910
Joe Kitchen 1909-21
Billy Gillespie 1911-30
Harry Johnson 1919-30
Jack Pickering 1928-47
Gary Jones 1937-50
Jimmy Hagan 1938-57
Billy Sharp 2007-22

Despite him only scoring 7 goals, he got them in 3 different decades 1949-64.. Not many others have done that. I reckon only the following

Ernest Needham 1891-1910
Joe Kitchen 1909-21
Billy Gillespie 1911-30
Harry Johnson 1919-30
Jack Pickering 1928-47
Gary Jones 1937-50
Jimmy Hagan 1938-57
Billy Sharp 2007-22
George not Gary Jones

Ernest Needham 1891-1910
Joe Kitchen 1909-21
Billy Gillespie 1911-30
Harry Johnson 1919-30
Jack Pickering 1928-47
Gary Jones 1937-50
Jimmy Hagan 1938-57
Billy Sharp 2007-22
Do you have easy access to which matches he scored in? I am wondering if I saw any of the others, and have forgotten them. That is a great list. Joe Shaw and Billy Sharp were not exactly similar footballers, but share that achievement.

31/3/1964

Blades 4 (Pace 2, Allchurch, Thomson og) Wolves 3 (Melia, Crawford 2)

View attachment 181418
View attachment 181419

This was my first experience of a night match at Bramall Lane.

I heard Pep complaining about the Man City fixture pile-up. Something like 7 matches in 21 days. Just look at this Easter weekend in 1964 : -

Saturday away at Arsenal
Monday away at Wolves
Tuesday home to Wolves.

No 25 man squads in those days.

On Saturday I was aware of this Wolves match coming up on this thread and as Fulham were pushing in that 16 minute added time I thought I was about to witness another 4-3 match but this time not in our favour.

Do you have easy access to which matches he scored in? I am wondering if I saw any of the others, and have forgotten them. That is a great list. Joe Shaw and Billy Sharp were not exactly similar footballers, but share that achievement.
5/11/49 2 v Bury H D2
21/10/50 1 v Bury H D2
14/4/51 1 v Cardiff H D2
29/9/51 1 v Swansea H D2
13/3/54 1 v Liverpool H D1
28/3/64 1 v Arsenal A D1

I wonder if that over 10 year gap between 6th and 7th goals is the longest for any United player.

5/11/49 2 v Bury H D2
21/10/50 1 v Bury H D2
14/4/51 1 v Cardiff H D2
29/9/51 1 v Swansea H D2
13/3/54 1 v Liverpool H D1
28/3/64 1 v Arsenal A D1

I wonder if that over 10 year gap between 6th and 7th goals is the longest for any United player.
Thanks for that. For once, my memory is reasonably accurate. 53-54 was my first season, and I don’t think I went to that many games, so probably wasn’t at the Liverpool game. So I presumably only saw him score the one at Arsenal (apart from the occasional own goal🤣), and it was rare to see him venture into the opposition half. He had a stint on the wing in a match where was injured early on (home match towards the end of the season, possibly Middlesbrough), and I think he managed to be in a few attacking moments, but other than that, nothing I can recall. So the Arsenal goal is a memory to treasure.
It is difficult to suggest any other regular player going 10 years between goals.

Thanks for that. For once, my memory is reasonably accurate. 53-54 was my first season, and I don’t think I went to that many games, so probably wasn’t at the Liverpool game. So I presumably only saw him score the one at Arsenal (apart from the occasional own goal🤣), and it was rare to see him venture into the opposition half. He had a stint on the wing in a match where was injured early on (home match towards the end of the season, possibly Middlesbrough), and I think he managed to be in a few attacking moments, but other than that, nothing I can recall. So the Arsenal goal is a memory to treasure.
It is difficult to suggest any other regular player going 10 years between goals.
He started off as an.inside forward if I recall correctly and was in that position when he got those 2 against Bury I think..As the first 5 all came within the space of 2 years, he obviously wasn't that defensive then!

Did he never come up for corners?

He started off as an.inside forward if I recall correctly and was in that position when he got those 2 against Bury I think..As the first 5 all came within the space of 2 years, he obviously wasn't that defensive then!

Did he never come up for corners?
He was wing-half when I first went, but soon moved to centre-half. The idea of the centre-half going up for corners did not surface until late in his career, and as his one obvious problem was dealing with tall strikers, it would not have served much purpose. I am sure someone will know who invented the idea of defenders going up for corners; I associate it with Jack Charlton in the mid/early 60s standing at the near post to flick the ball on, and by the late 60s it was common for 2 tall centre-backs to go up together. And I associate that with Colquhoun and Flynn for Utd. But I am happy to stand corrected if others know more about this. I wonder who the first goalie to go up for a corner was; it was a shock if the keeper went out of the penalty area in the 50s and 60s.

31/3/1964

Blades 4 (Pace 2, Allchurch, Thomson og) Wolves 3 (Melia, Crawford 2)

View attachment 181418
View attachment 181419

Apologies for the slow response to the Wolves matches. Here are some pages from the home programme, which for some reason has survived the disappearance of most programmes from the last few weeks of the season.
IMG_6466.jpegIMG_6467.jpegIMG_6468.jpegIMG_6469.jpeg
There are some interesting and bizarre bits of information there!
The improvement at the end of the season gave cause for optimism, especially as for the second game the Utd team had plenty of youngsters, including Badger and Finnigan. The stresses and strains of playing 3 games in 4 days showed up in the last-minute team changes (Coldwell and Joe Shaw missing for Utd). The injury to their keeper was probably not down to playing too many games, and the one thing I remember about the match is Ray Crawford looking like a decent emergency goalie. I had forgotten that he scored 2 goals as well doing his day job!
So, comfortable mid-table it was. Disappointing after where we we were in November, a relief considering the awful run in the winter.

The reports of this game, another which I have completely forgotten, bring home how some things in football have greatly improved. In this case, it is that there have been changes which keep the interest up much longer in a season. The only important position at the top of the league was top - there were no incentives to finish second, and no European places to compete for. At the bottom, only 2 teams were relegated, and with just 2 points for a win, it meant that most teams had nothing to play for for a long time at the end of the season. Utd v Fulham was just one such game. Add in the fact that few supporters had season tickets, and the crowds declined as the season drew to a close; players and supporters lost interest much earlier than is the case for most clubs now.

9/4/1964

With two games left for the season and being in 6th place of the 1st division, Wendy decide to sack Vic Buckingham. In his three seasons at S6, Wendy finished in 6th place each time. His league record was played 134, won 63, drew 47 and lost 24 which is a pretty good record but the directors thought it wasnt good enough! In the next few days there was a shock in store for the club. Watch this space!

Back
Top Bottom