1963-64 (60 years ago) match reports and photos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

11/1/1964

Blades 2 (Pace, Wagstaff) West Ham 1 (Sissons)

7 surnames that began with the letter "B" in West Ham's line up!

View attachment 177388
View attachment 177389
View attachment 177390
View attachment 177391
View attachment 177392
View attachment 177393
View attachment 177394
View attachment 177395
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link
Thanks for this. Quite a privilege to see 2 World Cup winners in Moore and Hurst, and Bobby Moore always looked good. It was quite a surprise to me to see Hurst do so well in the World Cup. Indeed I was watching the World Cup final on TV with my dad (my brother was at Wembley), and seconds before the ‘They think it’s all over’ goal, I said to my dad ‘ He won’t score, he can’t kick with his left foot’. One of my many slightly inaccurate comments over the years!
Two things strike me in the reports: the fact that Brian Richardson had a much better long-range shot than I remember - it regularly features in these reports - , and the fact that Tony Wagstaffe was regularly impressing. I always thought of him as promising, but never quite good enough.
The programme for this match is one of the many from 1964 that I have lost. If anyone has the programme and can post some pages from it, I would appreciate it. Especially the feature with a player writing a full-page article.

Shame on you for posting this a day early! I was planning to spend today preparing for the trauma of this report, but I woke up this morning to find the full horror of it staring me in the face🤣

Shame on you for posting this a day early! I was planning to spend today preparing for the trauma of this report, but I woke up this morning to find the full horror of it staring me in the face🤣
Am going to Edinburgh tomorrow and coming back on Saturday so I thought it would be best to post today. Mrs Silent and I will be attending a Robert Burns night on Friday

Am going to Edinburgh tomorrow and coming back on Saturday so I thought it would be best to post today. Mrs Silent and I will be attending a Robert Burns night on Friday
got those photos in my scrapbook silent we were well beaten on a very cold snowy day at the swill

At this game with a couple of Owls fans on Leppings Lane. Can remember Layne, who was an England cert if not for. roaring down the pitch and smashing the ball in just in front of us. Thought the ball was going to go through the net and take my head off.

It is ironical that I have few of the programmes for the remainder of the 63-64 season, but do have the one for this match. I have been putting off the trauma of reminding myself of this disastrous afternoon (spent freezing on the Kop at S6), but in fact re-reading the programme wasn’t too bad.
1. Wednesday had lost at Newport in the 3rd Round of the Cup, described in the programme as Wednesday’s worst humiliation ever in the Cup. The Cup was much more important in the 60s, and we, of course, had reached at least the 5th Round every year since 1958. And we were about to play Swansea in the 4th Round at home the following Saturday, so we were confident that the run would continue.
2. The programme is quite fair about United, expressing the view that all Sheffielders hope Utd have success v Swansea. I don’t think such noble thoughts would be expressed today!
3. There is a very fair summary of United’s rise, followed by a decline largely because of injuries. There is even an honourable mention of Hodgy’s Broken Thumb😂
4. Despite all the warmth, they can’t resist a comment comparing attendances at Bramall Lane and Hillsborough.

So, here are some pages from the programme, a memento of a cold and miserable afternoon:
IMG_6321.jpegIMG_6322.jpegIMG_6323.jpegIMG_6324.jpeg

It is ironical that I have few of the programmes for the remainder of the 63-64 season, but do have the one for this match. I have been putting off the trauma of reminding myself of this disastrous afternoon (spent freezing on the Kop at S6), but in fact re-reading the programme wasn’t too bad.
1. Wednesday had lost at Newport in the 3rd Round of the Cup, described in the programme as Wednesday’s worst humiliation ever in the Cup. The Cup was much more important in the 60s, and we, of course, had reached at least the 5th Round every year since 1958. And we were about to play Swansea in the 4th Round at home the following Saturday, so we were confident that the run would continue.
2. The programme is quite fair about United, expressing the view that all Sheffielders hope Utd have success v Swansea. I don’t think such noble thoughts would be expressed today!
3. There is a very fair summary of United’s rise, followed by a decline largely because of injuries. There is even an honourable mention of Hodgy’s Broken Thumb😂
4. Despite all the warmth, they can’t resist a comment comparing attendances at Bramall Lane and Hillsborough.

So, here are some pages from the programme, a memento of a cold and miserable afternoon:
View attachment 178014View attachment 178015View attachment 178016View attachment 178017
My son played in the same Staveley Miners u15s team as Mark Pearson's niece's son. I think Mark still lives in Ridgeway

View attachment 178014View attachment 178015View attachment 178016View attachment 178017
According to the programme notes .... 'Finney drove the ball on to the John Street post'.

Did we turn the pitch around for that game?

The draw against Swansea was Gerry Summers last 1st team appearance for us.

This game was a further indication that our season was beginning to fall apart. A home tie against a bottom half Division 2 side was a great opportunity to make progress towards that elusive Wembley Final, but in the end we were lucky to get a draw. And this was at a time when the Cup was in many ways regarded as more important than the League. The previous league game, v West Ham, attracted a crowd of just over 18000, but for this match v Swansea the crowd was over 25000. I think that we can be certain that this weekend’s Cup game v Brighton will attract a lower crowd than last week’s league game v West Ham. Priorities have changed.
Again, the programme has plenty of interest. There is quite a lot of trying to make out that things are not as bad as they seem, and a justifiable complaint about a shoddy piece of journalism claiming that Yorkshire clubs had been performing badly in the Cup. Ironical, then, that our years of plenty in the Cup were about to come to an end! On the other hand, the item on the Juniors and their promise for the future was fully justified in their focus on the 2 Alans, Woodward and Birchenall. And while the piece by Len Allchurch is a little dull, he comes across as charmingly modest, saying that he was lucky to join a United side about to complete promotion - he fails to mention that his 6 goals in 8 games were absolutely vital in achieving that promotion. If only he had not been ‘cup-tied’, I think we would have made it to Wembley. 3 semi-finals v Forest, two 0-0 draws, and I am sure we would have managed a goal had Allchurch, in the form of his life, been eligible. I sometimes think we should have a motto on our badge: ‘IF ONLY…’😂
IMG_6327.jpegIMG_6328.jpegIMG_6329.jpegIMG_6330.jpegIMG_6332.jpeg

The draw against Swansea was Gerry Summers last 1st team appearance for us.
If I ever knew that, I had forgotten it. A few weeks later, just before he left United, he had his say in the programme, and he gives a clear indication of where his future lay - coaching. I can confirm what he says about his contact with schools - I loved a 6-week spell at King Edwards in 1963(?) when he and Hodgy came and did coaching sessions with us each Wednesday afternoon in the paddy fields of Whitely Woods. They were both enthusiastic, approachable, and got us working hard. It is no surprise that they went to have good careers as coaches. I also love the fact that his favourite game was the away win at Newcastle in the Cup, even if he does get the score wrong (printing error, shall we say). My only reservation is the last sentence, the mantra that anyone can be a top sportsman if they want. I could have dedicated my life to becoming a top-class goalkeeper, but my natural ability would have prevented me. I prefer the idea of helping youngsters be the best they can be, but we all have our limits.
In the photograph, he reminds me of the boyish enthusiasm of Ben Fogle…
IMG_6334.jpeg

28/1/1964

FA Cup 4th round replay

Swansea 4 (Draper 2, McLaughlin, Thomas) Blades 0

View attachment 178195
View attachment 178196
View attachment 178197
View attachment 178198
All that optimism from the autumn was really evaporating. And it was the beginning of the end of the virtually unchanged line-ups of the previous 6 or 7 years. I feel privileged to have spent the best years of my footballing life watching a good and skilful group of players give the club an identity and togetherness which I assumed was just how things were at football clubs. That sense of identity has occasionally been re-created (the Bassett and Wilder [mark 1] eras immediately come to mind), but it is far from being the norm.

And so the decline that set in in November gathered pace, and United were now struggling to stay in the top half of the League, having been top for several weeks in the autumn. Plan B, playing an offside trap, only succeeded in annoying the Liverpool crowd, as their team seems to have worked out quickly how to overcome it, and soon started scoring goals for fun. Further thoughts:
1. 60 years later, it is remarkable that I/we still find that one of the few things which makes life tolerable remains the same: at least Wednesday suffered a bad defeat as well😂
2. Another goal from defensive half-back Brian Richardson, yet again apparently a great shot from 25 yards out. He didn’t score many, yet they all seem to have been worldies, and I can’t even directly remember him having a shot at goal.
3. One reason I don’t recall this goal is that I must have been at the Reserves match, watching the carnage evolve on the Pavilion scoreboard, and watching a strong United Reserves team lose 3-2 against Liverpool.
IMG_6341.jpegIMG_6342.jpeg

Looking on the bright side, United’s youngsters were looking really good, and were being rewarded with special matches like this:
IMG_6343.jpegIMG_6344.jpeg

IMG_6345.jpeg

There were some very good footballers on both sides (Woodward, Birchenall, Kendall, Redknapp, etc.), in what I believe was a 2-2 draw. Amongst the lesser remembered players, Micky Wright played many games for Villa, including against United:
IMG_0248.jpeg

8/2/1964

Blades 1 (Pace) Aston Villa 1 (Wylie)

View attachment 178848
View attachment 178849
View attachment 178850
View attachment 178851
View attachment 178852

My most recent game (like many on here) was the home defeat last Saturday 0-5 against Aston Villa.

And here I am 60 years to the day being reminded of my very first home game watching the first team. The opposition, Aston Villa.

Up to now my dad had taken me to Central league games only. I think I must have pestered him to take me to a first team game. Today was the day he gave in.

Parking the car for reserve team games was always close to John Street, adjacent to St Mary's Church. First team games we parked on Kearsley Road and walked down Woodhead Road.

In those days there was an aroma of Sheffield industry. Now there's an aroma of cooking coming from the many restaurants on London Road.

We used the turnstiles at the top of Bramall Lane at the Cherry Street end. We entered onto a small concourse where I think the benches for Yorkshire cricket were housed during the winter. Then up some steps. At this point was my first ever view of the Shoreham Street kop in full use. Looking at the attendance that day the kop couldn't have been full but to me it was packed.

We walked around in front of the pavilion and took up our places on the kop.

I can't remember anything about the game but was totally transfixed by the singing, chanting and number of people on the kop. I was truly hooked.

In those days I had no idea about how well we had started the season. Thanks to Silent and all the other posters on here who have recounted their memories of those games prior to this Villa game. It's been an eye-opener.

So here we are 60 years on. In the top flight. Sixty years ago we draw 1-1 and this week we lose 0-5 against the same club. Have we improved? I'll sit on the fence and use a cliche. It's a completely different game.

bornablade interesting that you were transfixed by the singing and chanting in your first match. Preston in January 1970 wasn't my first match but it was my first match as a committed Blade also I had just started learning the names of our players and opponents etc. In that match I was transfixed by old blokes with flatcaps in the BLUT shouting "rubbish" so many times throughout the match.

8/2/1964

Blades 1 (Pace) Aston Villa 1 (Wylie)

View attachment 178848
View attachment 178849
View attachment 178850
View attachment 178851
View attachment 178852
And so the decline continues, but at least we got a point. The crowds were getting smaller (just over 14000), the team was being changed regularly (after several years of virtually no team changes, this came as a shock), I continue to be surprised by reports of Richardson’s attempts on goal, and if we needed confirmation of things going against us, the report that John Harris was away on a scouting mission is confirmed in the next home match programme, along with the information that the player being watched was injured in the first few minutes of the game…
I do not have the programme for this match, but would love to see some of it if anyone has a copy.

bornablade interesting that you were transfixed by the singing and chanting in your first match. Preston in January 1970 wasn't my first match but it was my first match as a committed Blade also I had just started learning the names of our players and opponents etc. In that match I was transfixed by old blokes with flatcaps in the BLUT shouting "rubbish" so many times throughout the match.
I obviously bought my first flat cap sometime between 1964 and 1970🤣

Something of a recovery was beginning after a run of awful results culminating in the 6-1 hammering at Liverpool. A second draw in a week was more encouraging, particularly away at one of the main title contenders. The defence seems to have been back to its usual self, against a very talented Spurs front line, and it sounds as if we came close to getting a winning goal on more than one occasion. A little optimism was returning.
There must be a good joke somewhere about a team including goalkeeper Hollowbread and right-back Baker, but it has eluded me all these years. Perhaps one of the resident wits on here can come up with one…

22/2/1964

Blades 0 Everton 0

View attachment 179621
View attachment 179622
View attachment 179623
View attachment 179624

The improvement continued, even if it did mean very few goals being scored. But successive 0-0 draws against two of the main title-contenders were encouraging, and the youngsters continued to show their promise, particularly Mick Jones. But my direct memory of this game is not of one of Utd’s players; when a goalkeeper plays well, it always catches my attention, and Gordon West, a young record-for-a-goalkeeper signing, was outstanding for Everton. He had caught my eye before,playing for Blackpool as a very young keeper. I was convinced he would be the next England keeper, but in fact he only won 3 caps. Whether this was because I was wrong about him, or he didn’t develop as much as hoped, or he had the misfortune to coincide with another Gordon from this part of the world, Gordon Banks, I don’t know. But he was outstanding that day.
A few other thoughts:
1. Results elsewhere included in Division 2 Man City 0-4 Grimsby, in front of a crowd of 11000. Makes you think…
2. The experiment of a 2-mile race before the game passed me by, as did the record-requests (see Lines from the Pavilion, below). Did John Harris’ proposal for boxing bouts pre-match ever happen? Original thinking was obviously being encouraged.
3. Talking of new ideas, the idea of sharing a ground with Wednesday was summarily dismissed. Interesting that the question was being raised.
My copy of the programme has survived:
5CB8D17F-765A-4BDD-8F37-E6A116B6BBDB.jpeg3F8206C7-1B3A-4C5A-ACA1-E2BEA9E26564.jpeg9EDF5887-D87F-4A1D-BC06-FF8524F4147C.jpeg7D608D39-0315-4AEB-9CA8-A935F667A5C1.jpegC7C5977D-2365-4C34-A545-FEEBA00BD5BA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom