54 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great day. We were superb. Great atmosphere.

I had a reel to reel tape recorder and taped the highlights the following day.

Each night I'd go to bed and listen to the Keith Macklin commentary over and over. With it being a TV commentary there were gaps of no sound. Not that I cared, I couldn't get enough of that game.

We all still love it when we give the bigger boys a bloody nose.

we were also on the pop side terrace at the baseball ground that day for some unknown reason united sold us tickets for derbys side of the pop but police let us climb over wall in to the united side while getting pelted with everything lol derby tried 3/4 times to get over railings in to our section but came unstuck every time badly
Remember it like yesterday. My first time on a football special to Derby, and walking to the ground with all the other Unitedites, feeling like we were kings of the world.
After the Everton game, I thought we were gonna win the F A.Cup.I was young and naive in those days.
We we’re well beaten on the day, but remember having my first pint, and occupying half the Popside with the Derby fans.

Up there with the very best of memories of watching United.

We were sat in the John Street stand at the end nearest to Bramall Lane Stand and the massed Everton support.

Everton were on their way to win the League and were by some margin the best team around with the holy trinity of Ball, Harvey and Kendall in midfield. They put out a full strength team and played to win.

United outplayed them. It was a season when goals came readily for us and we'd begun to realise that with Rowley's signings and Harris' return to management we had a top class side to cheer on.

Goals came readily until the season's run in when our battle for promotion ended in anti climax. A nightmare game saw us lose 0-1 at the Lane to a truly awful Bolton team.

Although I wasn't at the match but after watching the highlights of the match on YTV, I decided to become a committed Blade.

FA Cup 3rd round 1970. Blades 2 (Reece, Addison) Everton 1 (Ball pen)

View attachment 177076
View attachment 177077
I was at the game remember it well i was on leave met me Dad and we sat in top tier of Lane Stand. First time we’d sat in that stand great view, normally we’d be in John Street. We were losing at half time I saw two pigeons fly right toward the lane goal I turned to me Dad it’s an omen we are going to get two goals in second half. We did two wonderful crosses two wonderful goals won 2-1.
Everton then known as the millionaires club at the time didn’t like it. Remember Alan Ball with his fancy white boots.
It kicked off outside scousers didn’t like getting beat.
Happy Days unfortunately me Dad no longer with us but I bet he still watches

Remember it like yesterday. My first time on a football special to Derby, and walking to the ground with all the other Unitedites, feeling like we were kings of the world.
After the Everton game, I thought we were gonna win the F A.Cup.I was young and naive in those days.
We we’re well beaten on the day, but remember having my first pint, and occupying half the Popside with the Derby fans.
yes we must have had 4/5k on the popside that day one half derby other half blades and we never turned up very dissapointing after the everton win derby tried 3 or 4 times to get over the dividing railings that day but came off 2nd every attempt went 3 times to the baseball ground and never saw us score a goal lol was a shithouse of a ground though and the surrounding area

My dad tool me as an 11 year old on the Bramall Lane end. Remember how cocky the Everton fans were before the game although it was all good natured. They did not have to much to say at the end though.

Funnily enough my dad took me to see Pigs v Scunthorpe in the next round. Another enjoyable afternoon..

Back
Top Bottom