1963-64 (60 years ago) match reports and photos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

11/4/1964.

Neither us or Wendy had a game on that Saturday as Scotland were playing England at Hampden Park in the Home Internationals. Alan Gilzean scored the only goal of the game to win it for Scotland. I doubt many Blades or Wendy fans bought the Green Un that night but maybe those who bought the Green Un would have noticed the below advert and think "Are players involved from our club?"

Bribead.jpg

11/4/1964.

Neither us or Wendy had a game on that Saturday as Scotland were playing England at Hampden Park in the Home Internationals. Alan Gilzean scored the only goal of the game to win it for Scotland. I doubt many Blades or Wendy fans bought the Green Un that night but maybe those who bought the Green Un would have noticed the below advert and think "Are players involved from our club?"

View attachment 181906
those home internationals were big games in the 60s especially england v scotland

All these goings on resulted in Blades fans producing what I still consider to be one of our most humorous and original songs ever . To the tune of “Daisy , Daisy give me your answer do “ …..

“Swanny, Swanny the coppers are after you
When they catch you , they’ll give you a year or two
They’ll tie you up with wire , inside a Black Maria
So ring your bell and pedal like hell
On your bicycle made for …….
Two , four , six eight who do we appreciate etc …:)

22/4/1964

We win the Northern Intermediate League Cup.

NIL2204.png
Leedsjun64harvey.jpg
Leedsjun64mt1.jpg
Leedsjun64mt2.jpg
1713739959069.png
front row (the names in bold played in first team); Alan Birchenall, Michael Disney, Barry Wagstaff, Len Badger, Alan Woodward, Charlie Bell, Michael Clarke, Mick Jones, Frank Barlow, Brian Conley, David Munks
Back row; Stewart Unwin, Ken Walton (keeper), Mick Harrity (he was a taxi driver that took me to Maud Maxfield in 1971-72), Mick Heaton, Phil Cliff, George and Bill Robinson

Youth cups.jpg

25/4/1964

Birmingham 3 (Smith, Auld, Lynn (pen)) Blades 0.

A win for Birmingham meant that Bolton get the second automatic relegation spot. Hodgy carried off injured in 1st half, Graham Shaw takes over in goal.

Brum64cartoon.jpg
Brum64goal.jpg
Brum64gu1.jpg
Brum64gu2.jpg
Brum64gu3.jpg
Brum64mt1.jpg
Brum64mt2.jpg
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

1963/64 season appearances and goals.

League appearances

Brian Richardson, Joe Shaw

Tony Wagstaff

Alan Hodgkinson, Cec Coldwell

Len Allchurch

Doc Pace, Ronnie Simpson

Bernard Shaw

Gerry Summers

Mick Jones

Keith Kettleborough

Reg Matthewson

Graham Shaw

John Docherty

Barry Hartle

Len Badger, Des Thompson

Mike Ash

Tom Fenoughty, Dennis Finnegan, Billy Hodgson, Harry Orr, John Parks, Dennis Shiels

League goals

Doc Pace 15, Len Allchurch 10, Tony Wagstaff 9, Ronnie Simpson 6, Mick Jones 5, Keith Kettleborough 5, John Docherty 4, Brian Richardson 3, Mike Ash 1, Joe Shaw 1, Gerry Summers 1, Own Goal 1

FA Cup appearances

Len Allchurch, Alan Hodgkinson, Mick Jones, Brian Richardson, Joe Shaw, Tony Wagstaff

Cec Coldwell, Barry Hartle, Doc Pace, Bernard Shaw, Gerry Summers

Len Badger, Reg Matthewson, Graham Shaw, Dennis Shiels, Ronnie Simpson

FA Cup Goals
Mick Jones 3, Barry Hartle 1, Tony Wagstaff 1

League Cup Appearances (1 each)
Alan Hodgkinson, Len Badger, Bernard Shaw, Brian Richardson, Dennis Finnigan, Reg Matthewson, Len Allchurch, Keith Kettleborough, John Parks, Tony Wagstaff, Ronnie Simpson.

League Cup goal
Tony Wagstaff 1

Back
Top Bottom