Scott Hogan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don’t wish to sound negative but we was distinctly average today. Didn’t hold it up, got a couple of runs at defenders but did little with it.

Nice goal he scored, but that was it I thought. Don’t doubt his effort but you can tell he’s barely played this season.

So another Leon Clarke then.

Had a much better game today but I'm not sure his game suits us, we played a few better balls to him but he does get caught offside too often. I'd like to think we could get someone who is a better fit and not on £40k a week.

Had a much better game today but I'm not sure his game suits us, we played a few better balls to him but he does get caught offside too often. I'd like to think we could get someone who is a better fit and not on £40k a week.
I can understand your point of view. I think he could be a decent longer term acquisition at the right price. His strength is running off the shoulder of the last defender, with a pass to run on to, and the ability to finish in those situations. Any team, let alone a Premier League bound team, should have that.

In his defence there was more than one time he got caught offside because the pass was late. As much as anything he looked like a player who hadn't played enough with the team. Timing is everything with those runs and getting caught off a few times isn't a big deal.

He was an excellent addition at Christmas because it assured that we wouldn't be left without options were one of our first choice injured. We've been lucky with McGoldrick and Sharp rarely missing games but the chance to rotate like in the Reading game has to have helped a lot, and it's a lot better to have Hogan and not need him than need him and not have him.

He did well. Not excellent and not involved enough in either hold up or link up play. Doubt we'll go after him for the Prem but thanks for chipping in.

I watched him off the ball a lot yesterday and he's not going to get played in if he keeps standing in offside positions ,the defence weren't even stepping up to catch him out .I saw plenty of times mcgoldrick and Duffy had to look for other options because Hogan had not just strayed offside but hadn't actually bothered to be onside in the first place ,I've never seen a player with such a poor reading of the line

I’m extremely grateful for his efforts for us this season whilst on loan and his goal yesterday and I wish him well for the future. Like Madine & Dowell, hopefully he’ll now get a good reception whenever he returns to BDTBL as an opposition player.

I watched him off the ball a lot yesterday and he's not going to get played in if he keeps standing in offside positions ,the defence weren't even stepping up to catch him out .I saw plenty of times mcgoldrick and Duffy had to look for other options because Hogan had not just strayed offside but hadn't actually bothered to be onside in the first place ,I've never seen a player with such a poor reading of the line

This was exactly the same against Forest when he came on too – if McGoldrick had passed to him rather than Stevens for the 2nd he’d have been flagged offside.

He’s chipped in, but I expect we’ll look elsewhere in the summer.

Neal Maupay

££,£££,£££

Didn’t hold it up, got a couple of runs at defenders but did little with it.

His job isn't to hold it up, that's why.

It's like moaning Henderson didn't get enough crosses in.

He was awful today up to.his goal but we missed his pace when he went off

He wasn't awful. How can you possibly say that?

Average, maybe, but to say one of our players who scored a massively important goal, in a solid team performance is daft.

Yeah, during the move that ended in a great save before being called offside, he was a yard off the whole time - nothing to do with the timing of the pass.

He's a decent player, played his part and we'll be grateful to him but there must be better players in his price range.

He was really good today, drove at the defenders and always looked a threat. He's also quicker than anyone else in the squad by an effing mile.

Chuffed to bits for him that he got the goal, and what a lovely goal it was too.

Not sure if he would be good enough for the step up, but based on today he doesn't look a million miles off, so will let the gaffer decide on that one.

Is he really that fast ?
Certainly faster than Sharp, Madine and Mcgoldrick but that's not hard really, I would also say Washington is faster.

If we are to have any chance of staying up next season we need a Goalscorer, I don't think Sharp, Madine, Hogan, Mcgoldrick and Washington are going to be good enough. Of course Sharp and Mcgoldrick deserve a chance, but I would send back or let go Hogan, Madine, Washington.
We need better I'm afraid, you need pace and athleticism (See the Huddersfield fans comments) in the Premiership.
Who I have no idea that's going to be Chris & Co hard job.
But while it's more money than United have ever had to spend in their entire history we need to spend it wisely and not waste it on sentiment on players that will not be good enough.

All this is of course if we are promoted to the Premiership (just for the Football Gods).

His anticipation looked a bit off yesterday, but i reckon that comes with game time one and settling in the team. With players like Fleck and Norwood who can thread passes in behind he’d be worth at shout at the right price. Full pre season under his belt and I reckon we’d have a proper player.

Showed with his finished that he knows how to take a chance.

££,£££,£££

He wasn't awful. How can you possibly say that?

Average, maybe, but to say one of our players who scored a massively important goal, in a solid team performance is daft.
Said he was awful UP to his goal and he was ,watch the game again if you don't believe me

Don't want to.be critical but I watched him.closely and that's my opinion.i.also said I wouldn't be against us signing him as I think we looked more dangerous having pace to.stretch the pitch

Is he really that fast ?
Certainly faster than Sharp, Madine and Mcgoldrick but that's not hard really, I would also say Washington is faster.

If we are to have any chance of staying up next season we need a Goalscorer, I don't think Sharp, Madine, Hogan, Mcgoldrick and Washington are going to be good enough. Of course Sharp and Mcgoldrick deserve a chance, but I would send back or let go Hogan, Madine, Washington.
We need better I'm afraid, you need pace and athleticism (See the Huddersfield fans comments) in the Premiership.
But while it's more money than United have ever had to spend in their entire history we need to spend it wisely and not waste it on sentiment on players that will not be good enough.

All this is of course if we are promoted to the Premiership (just for the Football Gods).

Well he looks pretty fast to me but as you say pace isn't really something we are blessed with, hence why he stands out. You've mentioned Washington, fair do's but I have barely seen him play tbh and I can only really think of Baldock beyond that as someone who is genuinely nippy.

As for next season, as I posted I am not convinced he would be good enough either but Wilder will decide [or will have decided] this very soon I suppose. I do think both Sharp and McG will be good enough though, even if they only have 1-2 decent seasons left in them but we will need to strengthen the forward line in any case, along with another quality midfielder, 2 wing backs and a CB. This is assuming we keep Henderson as well.

I would also take the Terrier fan's comments with a pinch of salt as they finished their promotion season in 5th, on fewer points than we have now, having scored 25 fewer goals and conceding 20 more with a -2 goal difference. We all know it is going to be tough but their owners appeared to lose interest and stopped backing the manager having stayed up for 1 season. I am not sure we will do that, not sure at all. I think our years in the wilderness have taught those at the helm a bloody hard lesson and we will grab this chance with both hands. Wishful thinking on my part, maybe?

££,£££,£££

What’s his job then? Didn’t make the right runs to be found with through balls, got past a defender maybe once. By hold it up, I mean once he’s on the ball he should be beating his man or at least waiting for everyone else to catch up.

He scored a crucial goal and did nothing else really. Through rustiness rather than a lack of effort.

Is he really that fast ?

Che Adams would be my choice. Looks a complete centre forward now.

Che Adams would be my choice. Looks a complete centre forward now.

Good call, but not sure we will be parting with £15 - £20 million on one player, if what the Birmingham fans have said is true that West Ham are interested in him at that price.

Good call, but not sure we will be parting with £15 - £20 million on one player, if what the Birmingham fans have said is true that West Ham are interested in him at that price.

Good point, although we could spend that kind of cash if we’ve got as much money as quoted (£200m). Adams, Henderson, a right wing back, and a Duffy replacement / competition should all be doable with a reasonable budget.

Looking at the table, Huddersfield have scored 20 and conceded 74 goals, Fulham scored 34 conceded 76 and Cardiff scored 30 conceded 66. When we went down in 06/07, we scored 32 and conceded 55. We've got to better those totals, by hook or by crook.

Dwight Gayle on loan. If not him, then someone of his level/quality. I fully appreciate our reliance on work rate & team spirit, but we have to push the boat out in this position, and despite them being good honest pro's, I don't think Madine or Hogan would be the right choices.

If we have a sell on fee it would work as a 25% discount if we bought him back ourselves.

Scott Hogan is very similar to Shane Long, fully fit with the correct service he is a quite capable of being a success in the premiership.

I also would like to add that I think there is a player in there somewhere and I think he could be nurtured to be a top class player, I've seen it before with players under Bassett he seemed to be able to have this knack of piecing back.together shattered confidence and egos of players and bringing them back on.,it's a gift I think wilder has too

He always gives it his all, and very happy for the lad that he got his goal. However would be disappointed if we were going for him next season

Personally I wouldn't have him if we stayed in the championship never mind the prem. Thanks for the goal but nowhere near good enough. Would much rather have madine.

I think he has done okay, considering his lack of regular football & injury concerns, but only okay. I get he is similar to Long but he doesn't work as hard & isn't as physical, maybe that would come with more games, I also think his speed is relative, he is quick & nippy but not blistering by any stretch. The offside thing as well, don't forget we won yesterday & are practically promoted so it is easy to gloss over it, but if he carried on getting caught offside every time we had the chance of a break away in the Prem we would soon be getting on his back.
There is a player in there though & I am sure with time CW & AW could mould him into our style of play, but for what he would cost I have a feeling we could do better for less outlay, but I am grateful for him coming here & helping us achieve great things this season.

If we were staying down maybe, but we’re going up so no. Thanks for everything and particularly your performance against Hull and THE goal yesterday Scott - But time to part ways.

IMO sign Madine, so we have a core of 3 different strikers and go from there. We can splash the big cash then on some serious goals, pace and power. Maupay/Adams style.

Back
Top Bottom