Wilder vs Heckingbottom

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheffield Untied appointed Chris Wilder on 6th December after replacing Paul Heckingbottom. Let’s take a look at how he has done in comparison to Hecky.

Heckingbottom Stats (Premier League)

Played: 14
Won: 1 (2-1 vs Wolves)
Drawn: 2 (2-2 vs Everton & Brighton 1-1)
Lost: 11 (Including 0-8 loss against Newcastle and 5-0 against relegation rivals Burnley)
Win rate: 7.1%

Goals scored at home: 7
Goals scored away: 4
Total goals scored: 11
Average goals scored per game: 0.79

Goals conceded at home: 19
Goals conceded away: 20
Total goals conceded: 39
Average goals conceded per game: 2.8

Wilder Stats After Making His Return

Played: 10
Won: 2 (1-0 vs Brentford & Luton 1-3)
Drawn: 2 (1-1 vs Villa & West Ham 2-2)
Lost: 6 (0-5 vs Villa & 2-3 against relegation rivals Luton)
Win rate: 20%

Goals scored at home: 5
Goals scored away: 6
Total goals scored: 11
Average goals scored per game: 1.1

Goals conceded at home: 12
Goals conceded away: 9
Average goals conceded per game: 2.1
Total goals conceded: 21

Took some time to get all these stats together, but hope it gives you an insight into how Wilder has done since replacing Hecky. What are your thoughts?
Could have added points per game as Wilders
Points per game since coming would keep us up. Along with being fitter at the start of the season we could have been sitting 17th with a real belief.

But everyone knew the level between Wilder and Hecky was wide. This isn’t to be disrespectful to Hecky as he was a good bloke and worked well with a dream team squad.

But when you look deep into his time at Middlesbrough (which we claim was a failure) they were in trouble of going down he nearly got them to the playoffs in the same season whilst beating Man Utd and Tottenham and bringing in Akpom and getting the best out of Tavernier (Boro fans didn’t rate him sold for £14m 9 months later). I have friends up there who really rated his time (again towards the end it seems to have gone wrong).

He wanted Gyokeres (would have been unubelievable signing with hindsight and the club didn’t sign him a striker.

But Wilder and Blades just fits right as much as some may hate it or not like him or whatever. But here he is in my opinion our greatest ever manager.

If he can get us promoted in the next 2 years (I doubt it as the playing side looks a mess) he must be the greatest ever.

I wanted Hecky to do well, he deserved the chance given he pretty much saved the club by getting us up

I didnt want Wilder as there is still a sour taste, and I dont think looking back is a great strategy

However, you dont need stats to understand what your eyes are telling you

Hecky would be ideal for sitting round the NATO table trying to negotiate peace

Wilder would be the one you want in the trenches

Apart from the Villa game (and just about ever team in the division has taken a pumping) weve been competitive, and thats all I ask

Saturday would have been 2-2 or 3-2 Luton under Hecky, as soon as their 1st went in we'd have sunk back into our own half/arseholes and conceded 100%

Plus no way would our DM find himself open in the oppo's box at 2-1 in the 72nd minute

Fair play Chris, playing a blinder, btw seen as your back, fancy buying a defender with a few mill from your payoff like?

With the promotion glory and the dire situation we were in when he took over I think it’s easy to forget that the football was dire under hecky. I wanted him gone, not because I though we could survive this season but because I couldn’t get excited about next season with him still at the helm, with wilder I’m actually looking forward to next season.

More points in less games. It’s fairly straight forward.

But I do await your response.
Ahh, but quantitative data isn't worth much without qualitative data to add perspective. What needs to be taken into account is the shit sandwich hecky had to bite into by losing his two best players without having the time to recruit and bed in replacements before the season started. Would a team led by wilder have performed better under those circumstances? Stats mean diddly squat without perspective so for me comparing hecky's first 14 games with wilder's first ten, based purely on stats, is misleading.

I honestly couldn’t stand Hecky from day 1, yes I understand he did a good job stepping in twice, gets us promoted with a great squad, but the step up and the terrible signings, with the lack of fight from the players with absolutely no plan that I could work out has really cost us and embarrassed us in equal measure.
Don’t worry I’m fully aware the upper management hold equal if not more responsibility , they even compounded the situation by hanging onto Hecky way to long which costs us more points and even gave us another beating, but look at how they’ve reacted to Wilder coming in, maybe it realisation of the situation or Hecky being easier to manipulate, can you imagine Wilder with the Berge and Illi situation I don’t think we’d be in the same position, all ifs and buts.
I’m for one glad Hecky’s gone and wish him well, we have a long way to go to become competitive again, loads of rebuilding needed and seems contracts slowly getting sorted.
Unfortunately we will go down it’s all to late but at least we may stand a chance in the championship.

Ahh, but quantitative data isn't worth much without qualitative data to add perspective. What needs to be taken into account is the shit sandwich hecky had to bite into by losing his two best players without having the time to recruit and bed in replacements before the season started. Would a team led by wilder have performed better under those circumstances? Stats mean diddly squat without perspective so for me comparing hecky's first 14 games with wilder's first ten, based purely on stats, is misleading.
Would Wilder been put in that situation is the real question

Did Wilder have either of those players for his stats? He took over a team that Burley had just dicked 5-0.

It probably is misleading, I think we've been worthy of even more points in that 10 game span.

Last edited:
Did Wilder have either of those players for his stats? He took over a team that Burley had just dicked 5-0.

It probably is misleading, I think we've been worthy of even more points in that 10 game span.

To be honest you cant compare, even if you were to replay the same league games again under different managers, there would be variances like player form, ref decisions, weather etc

The only thing I think you can measure it on is what we see, and I didnt want CW back, but for me the main differences are

Vini been played in the right place has shown him to be a poor mans Rodri, but thats good enough for us
Archer, McB, Brewster, Osula seem to be rotated on fitness and the opposition
Macca has been released and is putting in MOM performances
BBD has outdone any expectation
Crowd are back onside
The apathy that accompanied every goal has gone, I see us able to rebound
We are capable of attacking, and scoring goals
Theres a fighting spirit that reflects us Blades fans, thats the minimum we expect

I’ve seen bias in my time but wow I am more impressed than anything. I don’t even want to mention he was the recruitment / injuries / fitness levels / players like McAtee saying how they now have a defensive structure when Wilder was there. I could go into detail but I feel with what you’ve said it would be wasted.

Unfortunately for you Wilder is far superior and has proven it comfortably already. You should be happy that results and performances have improved vastly?

I’ve seen bias in my time but wow I am more impressed than anything. I don’t even want to mention he was the recruitment / injuries / fitness levels / players like McAtee saying how they now have a defensive structure when Wilder was there. I could go into detail but I feel with what you’ve said it would be wasted.

Unfo rtunately for you Wilder is far superior and has proven it comfortably already. You should be happy that results and performances have improved vastly?
Who said I wasnt happy? You're just on here for an argument. I was merely stating facts that should be considered when evaluating those stats that were presented. Talking of bias though, the only one showing it, when comparing me and you in this thread, is you. Grow up and focus on the future, there's a good lad/lass/thing (delete as appropriate).

Who was to say the team wouldn't have bounced back after the Burnley game? We'll never know. Anyway shall we all move forwards now instead of people griping about the past?

To be honest you cant compare, even if you were to replay the same league games again under different managers, there would be variances like player form, ref decisions, weather etc

The only thing I think you can measure it on is what we see, and I didnt want CW back, but for me the main differences are

Vini been played in the right place has shown him to be a poor mans Rodri, but thats good enough for us
Archer, McB, Brewster, Osula seem to be rotated on fitness and the opposition
Macca has been released and is putting in MOM performances
BBD has outdone any expectation
Crowd are back onside
The apathy that accompanied every goal has gone, I see us able to rebound
We are capable of attacking, and scoring goals
Theres a fighting spirit that reflects us Blades fans, thats the minimum we expect
Spot on pal. Comparing in this instance is pointless and can't be done accurately.

Who said I wasnt happy? You're just on here for an argument. I was merely stating facts that should be considered when evaluating those stats that were presented. Talking of bias though, the only one showing it, when comparing me and you in this thread, is you. Grow up and focus on the future, there's a good lad/lass/thing (delete as appropriate).
One of the strangest replies I’ve seen on here. I read it a few times and laughed a few times.

You ignored all the things that would go against Hecky. There no Bias every single Sheffield United supporter who goes to games can see the huge improvement.

Hecky was absolutely dreadful that’s all it is.

If you want to make up subjective “stats” then go ahead but everyone with eyes can see how much better we are.

He won’t listen 😂

One of the strangest replies I’ve seen on here. I read it a few times and laughed a few times.

You ignored all the things that would go against Hecky. There no Bias every single Sheffield United supporter who goes to games can see the huge improvement.

Hecky was absolutely dreadful that’s all it is.

If you want to make up subjective “stats” then go ahead but everyone with eyes can see how much better we are.
Where have I stated we haven't improved since Wilder took over you imbecile? You're either unbelievably stupid or just being deliberately obtuse. I'm going with the former.

Wilder hasn't faced Brighton in the league yet. But broken down, that is a tough run of fixtures:

• Liverpool
  • Brentford
  • Chelsea
  • Villa
  • Luton
  • Man City
  • West Ham
  • Palace
  • Villa
  • Luton

Hecky = 0.36ppg
Wilder = 0.8ppg

If Wilder maintains 0.8ppg for the final 14 games, we finish on 24points, which won't be enough. Luton are already on 20points.

Remaining games are:
  1. Brighton (h)
  2. Wolves (a)
  3. Arsenal (h)
  4. Bournemouth (a)
  5. Man Utd (a)
  6. Fulham (h)
  7. Liverpool (a)
  8. Chelsea (h)
  9. Brentford (a)
  10. Burnley (h)
  11. Newcastle (a)
  12. Forest (h)
  13. Everton (a)
  14. Spurs (h)
Win the ones in bold and we stay up. Simples
We’ve only just beat Derby’s record and you’ve gone through and looked at what games we need to win to stay up 😂

If my memory is correct then when Wilder walked out the back door, last time, Hecky came in and had a better ppg. It’s pointless comparing these things to prove a point. Wilder has come in and done an ok job. If he keeps us up, he has done an amazing job but it’s next year that he will be properly judged on
He won't be here next year. He'll chuck the towel in again.

He won't be here next year. He'll chuck the towel in again.
I think that is in his mentality but last time he was of the opinion that he was a v special manager and would go on to manage one of the top clubs. We now know that is definitely not the case and I can see him hanging by his finger tips to his job at Bdtbl as it is the best offer on the table
But do we want him?
I for one would like him and his ego to leave

Wilder hasn't faced Brighton in the league yet. But broken down, that is a tough run of fixtures:

• Liverpool
  • Brentford
  • Chelsea
  • Villa
  • Luton
  • Man City
  • West Ham
  • Palace
  • Villa
  • Luton

Hecky = 0.36ppg
Wilder = 0.8ppg

If Wilder maintains 0.8ppg for the final 14 games, we finish on 24points, which won't be enough. Luton are already on 20points.

Remaining games are:
  1. Brighton (h)
  2. Wolves (a)
  3. Arsenal (h)
  4. Bournemouth (a)
  5. Man Utd (a)
  6. Fulham (h)
  7. Liverpool (a)
  8. Chelsea (h)
  9. Brentford (a)
  10. Burnley (h)
  11. Newcastle (a)
  12. Forest (h)
  13. Everton (a)
  14. Spurs (h)
Win the ones in bold and we stay up. Simples
Why would you even think that we would have a cat in hells chance of getting anything from Brighton or Wolves? Pure Fantasy.

Why would you even think that we would have a cat in hells chance of getting anything from Brighton or Wolves? Pure Fantasy.

These must have been dreams that I had

1708425045795.png 1708425022058.png

We started off decent enough on Sunday. The red card killed our chances.
The Hamer chance goes in though, who knows.

Holgate has a lot to answer for. He let his teammates down big time

I think that is in his mentality but last time he was of the opinion that he was a v special manager and would go on to manage one of the top clubs. We now know that is definitely not the case and I can see him hanging by his finger tips to his job at Bdtbl as it is the best offer on the table
But do we want him?
I for one would like him and his ego to leave
I was not happy to see him re-appointed and would be happy to say cheerio. I reckon he is 2 divisions out of his depth.

Back
Top Bottom