Wilder willing to return?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ok i take the hint ,goodnite all,ok im gone back to my safe thread away from all my s2 nasty unkind haters ,,,in great man chris wilder i trusted but no one else,,he will return when theyve all gone ,,hes a fan for life,,bye all take care stay safe everyone,,dont forget him hes a god,,,chow
Nighty night Chris.

Here's a serious response to what I'm not certain was a serious post Italian Blade , I'm guessing you're about as Italian as Yorkshire Pudding but hey ho whatever floats your boat....

First of all, may I say that I will be always grateful and remember fondly the 4-5 years that Chris Wilder gave us. It was absolutely fantastic to support the team and watch it grow and evolve from the pitiful state that Adkins left us in. The 4 seasons from winning League 1 to finishing 9th in the Premier League, playing a unique style of football, will linger long in the memory. We did sign some really good players along the way too and despite what anyone thinks of some of them now, they have given us some memorable times, O'Connell, Fleck, Clarke, Stevens, Baldock, Norwood, Egan, McGoldrick. He also rejuvenated the Blades careers of some who appeared to have lost their way or were floundering in a poor side with poor tactics and leadership, Bash, Coutts, K. Freeman and even Billy.

Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, things did not go well after the lockdown and we all know what happened, at least on the pitch. I'll reserve judgment on the reasons for Chris' departure until all is revealed. For now, we only have one side of the story, however if what the Prince said is 100% true, then I'm sure there are many, like me, who were saddened and bitterly disappointed that Chris felt he needed to resign. All the talk of 'not leaving by the back door' suddenly rang hollow and while in my view, there would have been no one better to win another promotion from the Championship, it was not to be and perhaps too much had happened for there to be a way back for him, even if he wanted to.

Having said that, I don't go in for all this revisionist nonsense about Chris having lost it and criticising his later recruitment. I think there is a lot more to that particular story than the Prince is willing to reveal.

It's interesting that we've never had a manager return for a second stint. They generally don't go too well so maybe it's better letting bygones be bygones. However he should be remembered for being one of our best managers.

Talk on the radio yesterday that he's top of Cardiff's list when Big Mick gets the inevitable medium sized axe.

Their conclusion was that it wasn't a good job though as Cardiff had no 'plan' or a strategy for the club. A bit like us in L1 days, flipping from experience to much vaunted newbie to experience, to geese experience etc etc.

For the most part I loved Chris Wilder as our manager. It seemed as if possibilities could become probabilities, that no matter if we lost Chris would find a solution to this blip.

The trouble was I, like the vast majority of Blade's fans, had never experienced anything vaguely resembling success before, and within the fairly limited perspectives that we all had experienced, it was as if being also rans had become a thing of the past. Well we had 4 superb seasons under the guidance of Wilder and Knill, for let's no forget Alan Knill's part in our rise. But something seemed to go wrong entering the fifth term under CW. Maybe he let himself down, maybe he wasn't backed. I recall that players we were interested in went to other, better financed clubs, and perhaps that was at the root of what took the spokes off our wheels. Of course it's just conjecture on my part, but when players like Cash choose to go elsewhere, surely money is the determining factor?

I must also add, I never want this club to extend itself to such a point that might seem like the beginning of the end, where we play catch-up, chasing our financial tail while we gradually begin to slide down the divisions that would quite rightly bring with it the type of recriminations that would make us look foolish and ill-equipped to consider us as well run and capable of being considered worthy of winning a cup or promotion.

But, to return to Chris Wilder's reign, maybe the club is just not able to compete financially. Unless we find an owner with the deepest of pockets I doubt we'll ever pay the type of wages that will attract players who can improve us. Maybe, somewhere amongst the ballyhoo of ifs, ands, maybes, and possibilities, we'll never get to the nub of why we just seem incapable of maintaining, let alone improving, any run of success that comes our way. As I said, what Wilder did for this club was little short of astonishing, but between CW, the Board (meaning the Prince), and for whatever he brought to the table, the Bladiest Blade there's ever been, Kevin McCabe, we just haven't had the necessary whatever to go that bit further. Of course we've had some dodgy buggers at the helm, but I suppose that's the nature of being a professional football club, you attract all types, from those who think they can line their pockets to those who think that part-way through their reign they can consider a gender realignment without attracting wide-eyed gazes from even the less interested supporter.

No answers, that's not my job. But moaning, taking a swipe, the occasional vote of support for the efforts of those trusted with giving us a team worth supporting, I'll do all that and more. I'd love to see this club make genuine headway and become a staple member of the Premier Division, but right now, with our current owner, does anyone really think this is going to happen? Really, do you???

John Harris from April 1959 to summer 1968 and from August 1969 to December 1973
That period is interesting, because they brought in Arthur Rowley as manager with Harris going 'upstairs' and although Rowley as a manager didn't work (more interested in horse racing as I understand it), he did make some great signings for relatively small fees, who would be the nucleus of the side that won promotion in '71 and the backbone of that side for a number of years. Colquhoun, Hemsley, Flynn and also the unfortunate Dave Powell, probably the 1970's version of JOC.

The thing is I think he's talked himself out of many jobs with his, quite frankly, disgraceful interviews he did slagging everyone else off except himself whether that be the fans, players, the board (even though he was well backed) etc.

That has put a cloud over his name for anyone considering him.

That period is interesting, because they brought in Arthur Rowley as manager with Harris going 'upstairs' and although Rowley as a manager didn't work (more interested in horse racing as I understand it), he did make some great signings for relatively small fees, who would be the nucleus of the side that won promotion in '71 and the backbone of that side for a number of years. Colquhoun, Hemsley, Flynn and also the unfortunate Dave Powell, probably the 1970's version of JOC.
Dave Powell

what a stylish player

For the most part I loved Chris Wilder as our manager. It seemed as if possibilities could become probabilities, that no matter if we lost Chris would find a solution to this blip.

The trouble was I, like the vast majority of Blade's fans, had never experienced anything vaguely resembling success before, and within the fairly limited perspectives that we all had experienced, it was as if being also rans had become a thing of the past. Well we had 4 superb seasons under the guidance of Wilder and Knill, for let's no forget Alan Knill's part in our rise. But something seemed to go wrong entering the fifth term under CW. Maybe he let himself down, maybe he wasn't backed. I recall that players we were interested in went to other, better financed clubs, and perhaps that was at the root of what took the spokes off our wheels. Of course it's just conjecture on my part, but when players like Cash choose to go elsewhere, surely money is the determining factor?

I must also add, I never want this club to extend itself to such a point that might seem like the beginning of the end, where we play catch-up, chasing our financial tail while we gradually begin to slide down the divisions that would quite rightly bring with it the type of recriminations that would make us look foolish and ill-equipped to consider us as well run and capable of being considered worthy of winning a cup or promotion.

But, to return to Chris Wilder's reign, maybe the club is just not able to compete financially. Unless we find an owner with the deepest of pockets I doubt we'll ever pay the type of wages that will attract players who can improve us. Maybe, somewhere amongst the ballyhoo of ifs, ands, maybes, and possibilities, we'll never get to the nub of why we just seem incapable of maintaining, let alone improving, any run of success that comes our way. As I said, what Wilder did for this club was little short of astonishing, but between CW, the Board (meaning the Prince), and for whatever he brought to the table, the Bladiest Blade there's ever been, Kevin McCabe, we just haven't had the necessary whatever to go that bit further. Of course we've had some dodgy buggers at the helm, but I suppose that's the nature of being a professional football club, you attract all types, from those who think they can line their pockets to those who think that part-way through their reign they can consider a gender realignment without attracting wide-eyed gazes from even the less interested supporter.

No answers, that's not my job. But moaning, taking a swipe, the occasional vote of support for the efforts of those trusted with giving us a team worth supporting, I'll do all that and more. I'd love to see this club make genuine headway and become a staple member of the Premier Division, but right now, with our current owner, does anyone really think this is going to happen? Really, do you???
Good post though I feel you are way off the mark regarding finances
We have around 70 million pounds of players bought over the twin
previous seasons whose resale value is 20 million ish for the lot ( and if anyone thinks we would get more than 5 million for Berge now then they are smoking too much of the class b shit ) that’s a 50 million loss plus the wages
Puts us in a very difficult position

Good post though I feel you are way off the mark regarding finances
We have around 70 million pounds of players bought over the twin
previous seasons whose resale value is 20 million ish for the lot ( and if anyone thinks we would get more than 5 million for Berge now then they are smoking too much of the class b shit ) that’s a 50 million loss plus the wages
Puts us in a very difficult position
Perhaps you wouldn't mind showing me where I've said anything about our finances that suggests we're in a reasonable healthy condition?

What I said was that we could do with a financial saviour, someone with the deepest of pockets who could make what's currently impossible, possible.
I'm under no illusions about our parlous financial position, and until this is addressed we'll poodle along depending on good fortune and the occasional bit of generosity from our owner.

He signed John Tudor too

Without doubt Wilder dragged us from L1 to the PL and we played good footy and 1st season up in PL looked a real side.

Without pandemic I'm confident we would have finished top6 such was our form pre pandemic.

After restart record it was sadly poor and whilst I don't think it's just down to the manager here. (Injuries, did we get the targets we wanted, no fans etc) he was the man in charge.

For me his end came too soon and I'd welcome him back at some point in the future if the time was right.

Right now I'm still behind the slavinator!

Yeah that doesn't sound right. I'm behind Slavisa!

Reactions: Dkc
I was listening to Talksport last night whilst driving.

They were talking about West Brom being relegated and they think Sam Alladyce might stay because they would be the main favourites for promotion next season.
They highlighted that Fulham have too many loanees and Sheffield United are in turmoil and need to get out of the habit of losing.

However they mentioned the huge gap between the PL and Championship.
They said next season the Championship doesn’t look particularly strong....so all 3 relegated clubs have a good chance of being promoted at the first attempt.

One of the presenters...not sure if it was Darren Ambrose or Darren Bent.
He said he was talking to Alan Biggs who said that “if Sheff Utd offer an olive branch then according to him, Chris Wilder is prepared to return”

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned before or is it old news?
Would you take Wilder back? I suppose it depends on what alternatives we have...but it would certainly give the club a boost.
Us offer him a olive branch ????!!!!!

Why the fuck should we offer him a olive branch????

Us offer him a olive branch ????!!!!!

Why the fuck should we offer him a olive branch????

Yes exactly. If he is going to continue working in management in professional football he will need to change and adapt and acknowledge, if not apologize, for his mistakes.

No shame in making mistakes but there is in not recognizing them, trouble is I think he's too proud to and some people are like that unfortunately.

I fear he'll end up on the managerial scrapheap like Paul Lambert.

Back
Top Bottom