Wilder willing to return?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
I was listening to Talksport last night whilst driving.

They were talking about West Brom being relegated and they think Sam Alladyce might stay because they would be the main favourites for promotion next season.
They highlighted that Fulham have too many loanees and Sheffield United are in turmoil and need to get out of the habit of losing.

However they mentioned the huge gap between the PL and Championship.
They said next season the Championship doesn’t look particularly strong....so all 3 relegated clubs have a good chance of being promoted at the first attempt.

One of the presenters...not sure if it was Darren Ambrose or Darren Bent.
He said he was talking to Alan Biggs who said that “if Sheff Utd offer an olive branch then according to him, Chris Wilder is prepared to return”

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned before or is it old news?
Would you take Wilder back? I suppose it depends on what alternatives we have...but it would certainly give the club a boost.

They were talking about West Brom being relegated and they think Sam Alladyce might stay because they would be the main favourites for promotion next season.
They highlighted that Fulham have too many loanees and Sheffield United are in turmoil and need to get out of the habit of losing.

They said next season the Championship doesn’t look particularly strong....so all 3 relegated clubs have a good chance of being promoted at the first attempt.

He said he was talking to Alan Biggs who said that “if Sheff Utd offer an olive branch then Chris Wilder is prepared to return”

Would you take Wilder back? I suppose it depends on what alternatives we have...but it would certainly give the club a boost.

Does he have to pay the muneh back too?

Can he look into the camera and explain the Burke, Brewster, Lundstram fiascos?

Personally, never a fan of misty eyed reminiscing and going back - think too much has gone on and at the first sign of a bump we'll all be thinking whether he's going to walk again?

It's a no from me Simon.

Last edited:
F(_)cking definitely. He made mistakes but was also a victim of some hideous luck with injuries, lack of genuine funds for a decent sized wage bill and most of all he was a victim of his own success in getting an ageing squad with the lowest wage bill in the top flight to the brink of Europe.

Not to mention having to sell Che Adam’s and David Brooks in order to fund the ascent from league one. Promoted with the 8th lowest wage bill in the championship and having to rely on cheap loans to get us over the line.

It all came home to roost unfortunately but I know when I see a top manager.

He said he was talking to Alan Biggs who said that “if Sheff Utd offer an olive branch then according to him, Chris Wilder is prepared to return”

So we take him back, do we get a refund or have we funded a 500k a month sabbatical?
How does he look the players he left in the shit in the eye?

i’d have him back on the premise that he commits to change

willingness to change formation/tactics and readiness to adapt, the glum post match interviews, an international transfer policy, acceptance that the senior management is a team not a one man operation

If there was commitment to progress on these fronts i’d have him back in a heartbeat

It depends who the alternatives are, if they were to award it to Heckingbottom would I prefer Wilder to come back? Yes, if it one of the foreign names being touted then no, move on, to be honest I can't see Chris Wilder accepting it either.

Nope. He's left through the back door. There's no returning here imo. Would also show he left to avoid the R on his record.. Trust would be at an all time low between him and the prince.

It depends who the alternatives are, if they were to award it to Heckingbottom would I prefer Wilder to come back? Yes, if it one of the foreign names being touted then no, move on, to be honest I can't see Chris Wilder accepting it either.
I would take him back, no issues.

CW may well have now also had time to reflect and have new ideas of his own, which could appeal to the club again?

Alan Partridge: Why, When, Where, How and Whom? review – Aha! Alan's back  on the Beeb | Television | The Guardian

who knows ? notice chris is 20s with the bookies think jokanovic is the number 1 target now but if we cant get him blessin or howe maybe he is being considered and nobody really knows how is health was after this car crash of a season just hope if it happens he will have learned from his mistakes

I don't think I would, if I'm being logical about it. I think too much has passed now and his resistance to making any sort of change to a failing system/formation/players this season resulted in me being less forgiving. That's before we get into the resigning/pay-off discussion. Plus it's Alan Biggs talking, I think I'm more ITK than he is.

Onwards.

What?

And have us play exactly the same system and tactics? And be beaten next season too?

Nope. I have said he'll possibly return. I'd like to think there would be an air gap between CW today, pig-headed and stubborn and signing shit, playing to fail and refusing to see error in his ways and some future version who is contrite and has some more experienced nuances which makes him not spunk cash on duds and have a plan B

If not, then never.

I guarantee however that his next club will be instant Wilderball and he'll make bids to sign Moussets, Burkes and McBurnies and fuck up any strategy.

pommpey

If he walked when things went to shit once, he will probably do it again.

I am also less than confident that the football would or could improve. Chris seemed to take the team into a tactical cul-de-sac, but was unable or unwilling to recognise this or change things.

Time to move on, and to leave his legacy with the fans (largely) in tact.

What?

And have us play exactly the same system and tactics? And be beaten next season too?

Nope. I have said he'll possibly return. I'd like to think there would be an air gap between CW today, pig-headed and stubborn and signing shit, playing to fail and refusing to see error in his ways and some future version who is contrite and has some more experienced nuances which makes him not spunk cash on duds and have a plan B

If not, then never.

I guarantee however that his next club will be instant Wilderball and he'll make bids to sign Moussets, Burkes and McBurnies and fuck up any strategy.

pommpey

I can't wait for him to get a new job. He will surely swoop for Burke to lead his forward line.

No.

Grateful for all he did, but he tried to resign on multiple occasions apparently. All the talk of leaving through the front door, and he left through the back.

Culpably stubborn when a change in tactics was required

We have to move on

I would take him back, no issues.

CW may well have now also had time to reflect and have new ideas of his own, which could appeal to the club again?
Who knows, not sure about new ideas but you just feel it's probably a good idea to move on, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy to suddenly read he's thinking of coming back.

I can’t see it. He can go somewhere else and talk peroni, front foot football and be adored by a new set of fans who love his “one of the fans attitude”

For us, everything he says will come with a tinge of “we’ve heard that before”

Plus the amount of trench talk and how much people wouldn’t want him in them would be unbearable!!

Time can do strange things. He needed a break from football after so many years, I think he's never had one since he was 15!

He'll be realizing that he's not going to get a better job than us. Celtic? No chance, if that was to happen it would have happened by now. He will also have noticed Southend getting relegated and Phil Brown managing them. Where can he go next that he'd want?

We're realizing that we are not getting high quality applicants, especially if we have to consider Heckingbottom, and reaching out to the likes of Jovanovic isn't working.

I can see them having informal discussions about the possibility of how it might work, definitely.

I don't want this out of sentiment, I was never one of those 'Wilder FC' fans on here of course. In the cold light of day, he's the best person to take us back up. If we go back up if he learns from his mistakes we'll be fine, but can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Back
Top Bottom