Wilder willing to return?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Absolutely. It was always destined for divorce, although you could say that for any manager/owner relationship. This was a dysfunctional relationship from the start of the sole ownership. I imagine this will become more clear with the future direction of the club, starting with the remit of the new head coach (or de facto head coach). It's not a matter of right or wrong (some members seem determined to turn it into this) but of different ways of doing things.
I guess this is correct, too both felt they knew the best way forward. Both didn't agree with other. I guess what frustrates me is that Wilder's way certainly up until this season has worked for us. We are now likely to go into more uncharted territory and no guarantee of success. Although Slavisa has a record at Champ level if appointed.
His resignations show he was no longer committed to the club, for whatever reasons. I've read on here that began in our first season in the Championship, over what l'm not sure.

There have been PR exercises from both sides. From PA himself and from those close to CW. I'd suggest if we actually knew the truth and were able to take an unbiased view - unlikely - we'd see plenty of red herrings from both sides.
On the contrary I think he did want to carry on but just didn't see how he could make it work and the relationship between him and Prince was being tested this season. (Not just results on the pitch)
I reckon your right in a way too. I think the thing we should all take from it is that it was very much a "mutual agreement." Wilder couldn't see a way forward neither could the prince despite them both wishing to remain in place.
I think that's why there is this talk of him coming back, because if the Prince changed tact and suited more of Wilders wishes then yes he would consider coming back. But I don't see that happening at all! I don't think Wilder is of course being considered either by the board, which is also understandable as he's left!

So you only have one side of the story. No bias there then. I took it that your ongoing posts on this matter were "gospel" or at least unchallengeable in the form they took.

"An opening gambit does not a negotiation make" Which is exactly why his first two offers to resign wouldn't affect the final one.

Sorry? You answered it in the first sentence of your second paragraph. Well, almost.

As an aside, and l genuinely can't recall, was the Bristol game resignation in the media?

Yes. Events this season are the first Championship season reprised, only the board and PA must see the changes worthwhile regardless of having Chris at the helm. Chris logically should have left after Bristol as contractually his position was less powerful (terms, length, details) but the mountain came to Muhammed so he stayed. He covered himself in the event of a sequel.That's the part of PA's interview I disliked the most. There has been friction for years that has been occluded by success due to two largely incompatible views of football administration. The inevitable has happened so all that was needed was: "we see thing differently, thanks and good luck in the future. Here's is our plan going forward"...

Yes. Events this season are the first Championship season reprised, only the board and PA must see the changes worthwhile regardless of having Chris at the helm. Chris logically should have left after Bristol as contractually his position was less powerful (terms, length, details) but the mountain came to Muhammed so he stayed. He covered himself in the event of a sequel.That's the part of PA's interview I disliked the most. There has been friction for years that has been occluded by success due to two largely incompatible views of football administration. The inevitable has happened so all that was needed was: "we see thing differently, thanks and good luck in the future. Here's is our plan going forward"...

Would it be fair to say a compromise was reached after the Bristol game (the signings that summer were quite Wilder-esque in Egan, Henderson, Didzy), but such arrangement (whatever it was) was quickly curtailed by the Board after the start to this season? I'm a CW fan, but the signings this summer weren't good enough.

Would it be fair to say a compromise was reached after the Bristol game (the signings that summer were quite Wilder-esque in Egan, Henderson, Didzy), but such arrangement (whatever it was) was quickly curtailed by the Board after the start to this season? I'm a CW fan, but the signings this summer weren't good enough.

Yes. I personally agree that we shouldn't have brought in signings in Jan unless they were with a view to next season in the Championship in terms of outlay and wages.

And the fact that he left under a mutual agreement shows that he didn't want to work in the fashion the owner wanted and that your last sentence is pretty much how it went.

The absolute poison and vitriol from large sections of the fanbase brought out the Owners statement.

Yes. I personally agree that we shouldn't have brought in signings in Jan unless they were with a view to next season in the Championship in terms of outlay and wages.

Effectively I imagine it was 'Chris, we've given you some rope, but you've fucked it mate. Over to Jan the Man for signings from here on in. No ifs no buts.' And out he walks.

A bit off topic why did PA son in law resign jas chairman during all this bother

What I think Wilder needs is a month's family holiday in Hawaii with his family without his mobile phone and internet and just not think about football at all and take some well deserved relaxation.

Then on the flight back he can reflect on where he wants to go, and hopefully we can get the 2016-2019 Wilder back.

What I think Wilder needs is a month's family holiday in Hawaii with his family without his mobile phone and internet and just not think about football at all and take some well deserved relaxation.

Then on the flight back he can reflect on where he wants to go, and hopefully we can get the 2016-2019 Wilder back.
What he should have done was do th Hawaii thing as soon as he left, then maybe he would have the full pre season to prepare.
It ain't happening though.

Hawaii for chrissake? If he was really one of our own ,a weekend in Skeggy should do it

Amazed how many people don't want CW back, after promotion from League One, Promotion to the PL, challenging for Europe in our first PL season and a crap 3/4 of a second PL season.

I've been watching the Blades since 1978. We must have had about 25 managers since then. Most have been dross. None have had the success, or connected with the fans, like Wilder did. He was the best Blades manager in my lifetime and he offers us our best chance of promotion next season. I'd have him back in an instant.

Sadly, many people today prefer change to stability, and can't accept the fact that supporting a football club means there will be bad times as well as good times. They want change for change's sake.

Given our track record of appointing managers, what makes anyone think that Bessin, Jokovic or Clement would do well? Nigel Adkins, Danny Wilson, Mickey Adams, Howard Kendall, Nigel Clough and many others all had solid records before failing at Bramall Lane. It's pot luck. If you find a gem you should hang on to it.

Amazed how many people don't want CW back, after promotion from League One, Promotion to the PL, challenging for Europe in our first PL season and a crap 3/4 of a second PL season.

I've been watching the Blades since 1978. We must have had about 25 managers since then. Most have been dross. None have had the success, or connected with the fans, like Wilder did. He was the best Blades manager in my lifetime and he offers us our best chance of promotion next season. I'd have him back in an instant.

Sadly, many people today prefer change to stability, and can't accept the fact that supporting a football club means there will be bad times as well as good times. They want change for change's sake.

Given our track record of appointing managers, what makes anyone think that Bessin, Jokovic or Clement would do well? Nigel Adkins, Danny Wilson, Mickey Adams, Howard Kendall, Nigel Clough and many others all had solid records before failing at Bramall Lane. It's pot luck. If you find a gem you should hang on to it.
Unfortunately he tried throwing the towel in numerous times and was successful the final time...that is not stability at all, what if we had a shaky start to next season and a period of adversity? I'm not sure the board now would trust him to stick through the bad times without him jacking it in (prince said as much)
Stability would have been him sticking through with his team and following through to next year. He decided to jump ship, move on, next chapter.

Quite sad how quickly his attitude changed during this season. It was like he was someone else towards the end.

Totally agree - he gave the impression he'd run out of both ideas and energy, Whilst always sticking with the same starting formation (the definition of insanity??), none of the mid-game tweaks had a positive effect.

He was obviously aware the squad was nowhere near good enough for quite some time and was obviously no longer able to leverage his stock being high with the Board to give him what he wanted for the JTW.

When Vardy scored that last minute winner it appeared to be the final straw that broke him.

Totally agree - he gave the impression he'd run out of both ideas and energy, Whilst always sticking with the same starting formation (the definition of insanity??), none of the mid-game tweaks had a positive effect.

He was obviously aware the squad was nowhere near good enough for quite some time and was obviously no longer able to leverage his stock being high with the Board to give him what he wanted for the JTW.

When Vardy scored that last minute winner it appeared to be the final straw that broke him.
I didn't see it that way. Wilder wears his heart on his sleeve. We were having a shit season. He was very disappointed with results. This came across in his interviews. He was never the most polished, media-savy manager. He hadn't "run out of ideas" - he was facing an awful injury crisis, while trying to adjust to the covid rules and the lack of fans. I'm sure he offered his resignation, as managers tend to do when they are bottom of the league.

The Prince was on record as stating that he would take a back seat, and let CW take full charge of the day to day running of the club. He is on record as saying that the job was CW's as long as he wanted it, even if we were relegated. Wilder's job included identifying transfer targets. OK some high value signings didn't perform well, especially Mousset, but all signings are a gamble to an extent. SUFC isn't the only club where big money signings have turned out to be a bit shit.

At some point HRH and his advisors decided that they could do better in the transfer market that CW/AK and our scouting network. They changed Wilder's job description, handing over the task of identifying transfer targets to outsiders. This radically changed CW's job description. He didn't resign, but he did insist that the owners stick to the "plan" or the remit that they had given him when he signed a new contract - namely that CW had the final word on transfers. He wanted to stay, but to stay under the terms of his contract. Essentially he was told that his job had changed. He would remain the coach, but HRH and his advisers would identify transfer targets.

OK the big money signings in the PL didn't prevent relegation, but before that CW had an enviable record in identifying players who he could improve and would fit into his system. I'm sure that CW believes that if recruitment decisions are made elsewhere, then he can't manage the club optimally.

I didn't see it that way. Wilder wears his heart on his sleeve. We were having a shit season. He was very disappointed with results. This came across in his interviews. He was never the most polished, media-savy manager. He hadn't "run out of ideas" - he was facing an awful injury crisis, while trying to adjust to the covid rules and the lack of fans. I'm sure he offered his resignation, as managers tend to do when they are bottom of the league.

The Prince was on record as stating that he would take a back seat, and let CW take full charge of the day to day running of the club. He is on record as saying that the job was CW's as long as he wanted it, even if we were relegated. Wilder's job included identifying transfer targets. OK some high value signings didn't perform well, especially Mousset, but all signings are a gamble to an extent. SUFC isn't the only club where big money signings have turned out to be a bit shit.

At some point HRH and his advisors decided that they could do better in the transfer market that CW/AK and our scouting network. They changed Wilder's job description, handing over the task of identifying transfer targets to outsiders. This radically changed CW's job description. He didn't resign, but he did insist that the owners stick to the "plan" or the remit that they had given him when he signed a new contract - namely that CW had the final word on transfers. He wanted to stay, but to stay under the terms of his contract. Essentially he was told that his job had changed. He would remain the coach, but HRH and his advisers would identify transfer targets.

OK the big money signings in the PL didn't prevent relegation, but before that CW had an enviable record in identifying players who he could improve and would fit into his system. I'm sure that CW believes that if recruitment decisions are made elsewhere, then he can't manage the club optimally.

", but HRH and his advisers would identify transfer targets"

That's not how I read it. I thought HRH asked CW to identify x number of targets for a position and a committe would discuss it" Quite a different thing.

This is my take as well. Looking back, the last couple of months seemed to be that CW knew the end was nigh, but was wanting to try and push through (especially when initial resignation talks were refused). Let's not forget, despite the cash and the Boardroom fallouts, leaving his boyhood team would still have been a real gut-wrenching moment for Chris. That last time driving out of Shirecliffe probably hurt like fuck - the relief, and weight off his shoulders I imagine only came later.

Pretty accurate from what I've heard too.

Wilder didn't just jump ship as it was rough. He did want to go again next season.
Manouvred out is v.much part of the reason.

Princes interview was designed to get some of the flak off him. Worked a bit too.
Not necessarily a bad thing either but I wouldn't accept everything he says at face value. After all he made out he had no idea Chris was unhappy with the situation.

Anyone who doesn't want Chris Wilder back as things stand right now, must be mental. We have the under 23 manager in charge, who has served up some right bobbar, and we haven't got a clue who else could come in. The club is on the brink (if not already in) turmoil and Chris Wilder would be just about the most perfect profile possible for a manager to come in, and turn it around. He's already done it once at this club alone!

Back
Top Bottom