Wilder to Dingles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He wanted players we couldn't afford. What he needed to do was have somebody experienced who he trusted to do the upfront leg work to tell him who was in budget. But unfortunately he bought into the hype that he could continue to do everything.

And also remember he continued to persue his British signings policy. Therefore severely limiting our market of available players.

Said this to my mate earlier today, big club and lots of potential. Also very rich owner.
Aye
An owner that’s not spending & screwing the fan base for every last penny ( guess that’s why he’s “very rich”)
Slumderland fans of my acquaintance would have CW ( & Billy) afore you can say hamandpeasepuddingstottie

In the end we ended up with the worst of both worlds. We gambled with money we didn't have but that money wasn't enough to buy real quality.
I disagree with this bit.

We spent money that we did have at the time and as a lower end PL team you need to be speculating to accumulate. It turned out that we speculated on players who were never going to hit the ground running and it cost us dearly.

Whichever way you look at it, really poor recruitment cost us last season and it's legacy will continue to do so.

I disagree with this bit.

We spent money that we did have at the time and as a lower end PL team you need to be speculating to accumulate. It turned out that we speculated on players who were never going to hit the ground running and it cost us dearly.

Whichever way you look at it, really poor recruitment cost us last season and it's legacy will continue to do so.

We took a loan out to buy Brewster which suggests we went over our intended budget to please Wilder

We took a loan out to buy Brewster which suggests we went over our intended budget to please Wilder

Granted, but it still doesn't mean we didn't have the money, it means we chose to finance it through a loan.

If you're in the PL for 2 plus seasons then you're laughing financially. We didn't quite spend enough to stay up and what we did spend was spent on the wrong players.

Good luck to him. Don't harbour any malice toward him at all as a manager.

From the outside looking in it looked a lot like his flight instinct took over towards the end of last season and for that I'm quite disappointed in him. We can't forget he was responsible for guiding us through some amazing moments over the years and at least we can say it was entertaining

Before last season Barnsley would have snatched our hand for him, now I bet they're getting twitchy. Be interesting to see if he's still got 'it'

Good luck to him. Don't harbour any malice toward him at all as a manager.

From the outside looking in it looked a lot like his flight instinct took over towards the end of last season and for that I'm quite disappointed in him. We can't forget he was responsible for guiding us through some amazing moments over the years and at least we can say it was entertaining

Before last season Barnsley would have snatched our hand for him, now I bet they're getting twitchy. Be interesting to see if he's still got 'it'
One of the best managers we’ve ever had.No one should forget that.

On the way up he was indeed one of the best we ever had, but as soon as the going got tough he was rendered clueless, displayed no sense of responsibility, blamed everyone else and eventually cut and ran with as much as he could. You could indeed say that he earned the money he took when he left but his later day bad management has left us in a precarious position

Sunderland would be perfect for him and I could see him doing similar things with them as he did with us.

As for his legacy, it's not black and white. The whole rise had no foundation to it which isn't Wilders fault. The club couldn't catch up with the team and we relied purely on Wilder to produce miracles. Unfortunately in his last 12 months he made big errors regarding contracts and transfers. He probably thought he could make any set of players successful by that point given what he'd done but the ride had ended.

Should Wilder have seen the decline coming? Possibly, but if he hadn't given Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Sharp etc contracts and we had gone down he would have been even more hammered. His biggest failure, and one I don't think he has much defence for, were the signings he made. Only one of the signings he made in his final 2 seasons are now worth more than they were. He did miss out on his top targets but his top targets were never going to happen. In the end we ended up with the worst of both worlds. We gambled with money we didn't have but that money wasn't enough to buy real quality. So instead we paid way over the odds for prospects that are now worth next to nothing. I think Wilders hands were tied to some degree but he still spent over £100m on players who can't even perform to a decent standard at Championship level. I don't think you can defend that and I'm sure Wilder himself would do it differently if he had his time again.

I suppose the long and short of it was we were a completely inexperienced club from board level to management to playing staff and in the end our naivety from all areas led us to where we are today. No one person is to blame. Wilder is the single reason we were there in the first place but he also played his part in why his miracle didn't lead to the legacy it should have.
I think this is very accurate summary...especially the point about being inexperienced at all levels in premier league matters.

The Norwich CEO took a dig at us a few days ago saying how wed wasted all the premier league money and have nothing to show for it and I guess hes right. Norwich have invested 13m, I think it is, in their training facilities as well as having a much better team on paper than we do.

If only we'd spent a tenth of the amount we spent on players on our training ground and academy we would at least have something to show for our 2 yr stay in the top flight.

On the way up he was indeed one of the best we ever had, but as soon as the going got tough he was rendered clueless, displayed no sense of responsibility, blamed everyone else and eventually cut and ran with as much as he could. You could indeed say that he earned the money he took when he left but his later day bad management has left us in a precarious position
Clueless! Don’t talk ridiculous man.

Reactions: cc1
Sunderland would be perfect for him and I could see him doing similar things with them as he did with us.

As for his legacy, it's not black and white. The whole rise had no foundation to it which isn't Wilders fault. The club couldn't catch up with the team and we relied purely on Wilder to produce miracles. Unfortunately in his last 12 months he made big errors regarding contracts and transfers. He probably thought he could make any set of players successful by that point given what he'd done but the ride had ended.

Should Wilder have seen the decline coming? Possibly, but if he hadn't given Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Sharp etc contracts and we had gone down he would have been even more hammered. His biggest failure, and one I don't think he has much defence for, were the signings he made. Only one of the signings he made in his final 2 seasons are now worth more than they were. He did miss out on his top targets but his top targets were never going to happen. In the end we ended up with the worst of both worlds. We gambled with money we didn't have but that money wasn't enough to buy real quality. So instead we paid way over the odds for prospects that are now worth next to nothing. I think Wilders hands were tied to some degree but he still spent over £100m on players who can't even perform to a decent standard at Championship level. I don't think you can defend that and I'm sure Wilder himself would do it differently if he had his time again.

I suppose the long and short of it was we were a completely inexperienced club from board level to management to playing staff and in the end our naivety from all areas led us to where we are today. No one person is to blame. Wilder is the single reason we were there in the first place but he also played his part in why his miracle didn't lead to the legacy it should have.
Sensible as ever, very fair. I think there was some panic involved too when the top targets wouldn't come and genuinely some bad luck involved too.

We can't blame Covid but timing wise, young(ish) players like Berge, Brewster, Bogle didn't have a crowd to get behind them and on a shit run like that (I know it's chicken and egg) it shattered their confidence.

Anyway, good or bad and whichever side of the fence you sit on, even if it did all go to cock at the end he turned the club around and gave us our best memories in many years, so a hell of a shame to hear the extent of hate and blame that comes his way.

If this is true then that is a massive fall from grace for him. Just a pity he's going to a club without much money so he can't sign back some of the players he's left us with
Optimistic post this; it assumes these players will go for a decent fee?

The Norwich CEO took a dig at us a few days ago saying how wed wasted all the premier league money and have nothing to show for it and I guess hes right. Norwich have invested 13m, I think it is, in their training facilities as well as having a much better team on paper than we do.

If only we'd spent a tenth of the amount we spent on players on our training ground and academy we would at least have something to show for our 2 yr stay in the top flight.
He might have a point but we got more points in our first PL season than they'll get in their last two combined. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even reach double figures this season. All that while having a higher wage bill than we do.

Sensible as ever, very fair. I think there was some panic involved too when the top targets wouldn't come and genuinely some bad luck involved too.

We can't blame Covid but timing wise, young(ish) players like Berge, Brewster, Bogle didn't have a crowd to get behind them and on a shit run like that (I know it's chicken and egg) it shattered their confidence.

Anyway, good or bad and whichever side of the fence you sit on, even if it did all go to cock at the end he turned the club around and gave us our best memories in many years, so a hell of a shame to hear the extent of hate and blame that comes his way.

He messed up with signings but as you say who knows what would have happened with a crowd behind them? I think you are spot on with the panic too. Again I think it showed our naivety at that level

How come every time Wilder looks close to getting a job, he keeps getting rejected.

Looks like not going to get Barnsley job either anymore.
I wonder if there is some sort of compensation clause involved or Wilder would have to give up some of his SUFC wages.
When Cooper was being considered for the Forest job there was an argument with Swansea about compensation, even though he was sacked or walked.
If we have a similar clause this could be restricting Wilder's options.

He left over a month before relegation was confirmed
Mathematically, yes but we had 14 points from 28 games at that point. Brighton were 17th with 26 points from 27 games which extrapolates to 36.5 points over 38. It's not realistic to expect a PL side to lose 11 straight games (unless they're Norwich) so we needed to aim for 37 points. We'd scored 16 goals all season. There was no way we were going to get the 23 points required in the remaining 10 games.

WIlder may not have been there when the executioner's axe fell but he walked us to the block, put our head on it, nodded to the hooded man then left the stage.

Didn't realise that. Now with interest rates climbing and especially after the Bank of England saying today that although they are keeping the rate as it is for now, but expect big increases within the next few months of possibly up to 4 or 5%, it makes you wonder what our overall cost will be on the total Brewster deal. Dread to think. If only we could go back in time by 2 years and in hindsight how our situation would be now.

A couple of major points are being missed in this thread.
Firstly, the fact that until locdown CW, almost single handedly, galvanised a suppoter base like no other in our recent past, with a passionate loud backing home and away. This level of passion can' t be ignored in our rise to the heady heights before lockdown robbed the team of the 12th man.
He also got some clearly average players playing to a level other managers have not managed before or since. The true measure of any manager is getting the maximum from the resources available and this is where arguably he failed.
His and United's downfall lies in our premiership recruitment required to sustain the clubs status.
To date Slav has not matched CW on the 2 areas CW excelled in and we seem miles way from him having a chace to outdo CW on Premiership recruitment.

Mathematically, yes but we had 14 points from 28 games at that point. Brighton were 17th with 26 points from 27 games which extrapolates to 36.5 points over 38. It's not realistic to expect a PL side to lose 11 straight games (unless they're Norwich) so we needed to aim for 37 points. We'd scored 16 goals all season. There was no way we were going to get the 23 points required in the remaining 10 games.

WIlder may not have been there when the executioner's axe fell but he walked us to the block, put our head on it, nodded to the hooded man then left the stage.
But he didn't quit just before it was confirmed, did he?

Un
Spot on Kozzy..wonderful first 4 years...hard to believe all those chants of 'one of our own' etc didnt really mean much to some who deride him as some sort of Judas. Always be a hero of mine. The DNA of todays Blades fans is changing, as shown by the coke heads latest hurrah.
Like it or not, a lot of fans feel he let us down and did exactly the opposite of what he said he would do when he left the club.

He gave me some of my best times supporting the Blades and I’ll never forget them, but for me he tarnished his legacy with how he left.

It’s a shame because with him still here I think we would have bounced straight back up.

I wish him well for the future though and hope he finds the perfect club he’s looking for.

Last edited:
And also remember he continued to persue his British signings policy. Therefore severely limiting our market of available players.

He was just pandering to our brain dead fans and what he thought they'd accept, shame that as one of us he knew so little about what makes us tick.

I'd prefer a full team of Brazilian, Argentinians, Spanish and Portuguese, at least there'd be a number of them who can play football.

Give him two minutes in another club and his British and Irish only views will change instantly

He was just pandering to our brain dead fans and what he thought they'd accept, shame that as one of us he knew so little about what makes us tick.

I'd prefer a full team of Brazilian, Argentinians, Spanish and Portuguese, at least there'd be a number of them who can play football.

Give him two minutes in another club and his British and Irish only views will change instantly
Some of the narrative on here about `Wilder is just plain silly,and borders on obsessive.
It’s been nearly a year now lads, and the longer you dwell on it, the more your imagination is running wild.
It’s time you moved on.`He gave us 4 great seasons and one bad un, and left us in a much better place than when he found us.
You’ll be wearing Chris Wilder masks on Halloween next year if you carry on.
None of us will know the truth of why he left, and claiming you do, or he was this and that, to fit how you feel, doesn’t change anything.You simply don’t know, and nor do I.
Slav is in charge now, and let’s hope he can find a winning formula.If he does half as goods job I shall be very happy.

Really, and how on earth do you know that for a fact?
Were the voices in your head telling you?
I've been told categorically over and over again that that definitely happened.

(I am being sarcastic I hate everyone who slags wilder off and some people on here accuse me of being Wilder, which I refuse to dignify with a response)

Back
Top Bottom