Wilder to Dingles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Has any manager seen a bigger reversal in fortunes since Covid than Chris Wilder?

Come to think of it, has an player seen a bigger reversal in fortunes since Covid than Jack O'Connell?

In fact, has any club seen a bigger reversal in fortunes since Covid than Sheffield United?

Cursed.
I have said this many times and until we get some serious skypilot, ideally the Bish of Sheff, to lift the curse over Bramall Lane then we will never really achieve anything and never anything which will last.

I reckon Wilders payoff from United has made him financially secure and after many years of travelling to Halifax, Oxford, Northampton etc, I think he can afford to be a bit choosey over any future vacant manager applications. I think he‘s content with his lifestyle and probably doesn’t want to spend hours and hours away from home travelling.

Consequently I get the impression that for Wilder its more important where his next club is geographically, than where they are in the football pyramid. If I’m right Barnsley would be a perfect fit for him, GLTTL

What? If you need to ask me now after all this time, i'm not going to go over old ground and repeat what many others as well as myself have mentioned previously.

There were a number of issues that weren't Wilders doing, still exist now and won't be fixed by the owner doing a PR exercise every few months... Wilder had his own failings, which have also been discussed. Players had their failings, which get discussed daily. But there were many other things that Wilder raised either publicly or to the Prince (which the Prince mentioned, not Wilder) that have never been addressed since.

Then there are other things that haven't been mentioned publicly by those inside the club or Wilder, but are known to have contributed to him leaving.

As it stands - Slav is dealing with many of the same problems that Wilder had
CW had over £110m to invest and totally blew it

Bet Slav wished he had the same problem

How the mighty have fallen

I bet he regrets quitting because the prince said we were only gonna sign loan players this summer

What hope do English managers have if the best job wilder can get is a team of the dingles size rock bottom of the championship

If he goes there they will finish above us no doubt about it

Might well end up at Sunderland instead, Johnson can’t have long left there.

Agree…I said last season no PL will be remotely interested in him…the best clubs he could hope for are
Either Derby or Forest in the Championship
Or Sunderland in league 1….it’s a challenge but I think he’ll be confident he can turn it around…
Also they play in red and white stripes…so he’ll feel at home.

Slav had over 100m at Fulham and completely blew it, they couldn't defend for shit an got relegated
Jokanovic had nothing to do with Fulham's PL signings. Tony Khan (owner Shahid Khan's son) went on a spree like a toddler in a sweet shop.

Jokanovic also left in November 2018. They may have been bottom but they weren't relegated on his watch.

Jokanovic had nothing to do with Fulham's PL signings. Tony Khan (owner Shahid Khan's son) went on a spree like a toddler in a sweet shop.

Jokanovic also left in November 2018. They may have been bottom but they weren't relegated on his watch.
But they couldn't defend for shit when he was there either in the Championship or prem. He will have had some say on players not all granted but some.

So CW never was never relegated either.

I reckon Wilders payoff from United has made him financially secure and after many years of travelling to Halifax, Oxford, Northampton etc, I think he can afford to be a bit choosey over any future vacant manager applications. I think he‘s content with his lifestyle and probably doesn’t want to spend hours and hours away from home travelling.

Consequently I get the impression that for Wilder its more important where his next club is geographically, than where they are in the football pyramid. If I’m right Barnsley would be a perfect fit for him, GLTTL
Although obviously some club would have to offer him a job first.
Clubs don’t seem to lining up to make him any offers.
He might get a local club like Barnsley.
I’d have thought a local club in League One would be a better bet. Preferably, one outside Sheffield.

I find it saddening, surprising and perhaps increasingly less surprising how keen folk are to deride the man who brought us so much recent success.

Did he cock up? Yes.
Did he spend inappropriately? Yes.
Was he trying to learn at PL for the first time, like many of us? Yes.

I'll allow him these failings, for all of the good he brought to our club from the depths of L1, against the odds and on very little resource. Our best manager in my lifetime, when we were flying. Memories to cherish.
Spot on Kozzy..wonderful first 4 years...hard to believe all those chants of 'one of our own' etc didnt really mean much to some who deride him as some sort of Judas. Always be a hero of mine. The DNA of todays Blades fans is changing, as shown by the coke heads latest hurrah.

Neither really were wilders

Wanted Matty Cash - Antonee robinson - Watkins

Got - Bogle-Lowe-Mcburnie

Just saying
Crap answer and totally off point.

Wilder has always made the decisions on who we should sign/sell. He does change his mind on his targets when he finds out that the other clubs have offered more in wages. Dont blame him for changing his mind as he always said he decides on the limit on wage offers

Slav at Watford and Fulham had less control on signings and sales. The Prince has asked him to get more involved. Let's see what happens in January

I find it saddening, surprising and perhaps increasingly less surprising how keen folk are to deride the man who brought us so much recent success.

Did he cock up? Yes.

I'll allow him these failings, for all of the good he brought to our club from the depths of L1, against the odds and on very little resource. Our best manager in my lifetime, when we were flying. Memories to cherish.
As you know I was as critical of Wilder as anyone while he was here. I was saying as early as February 2020 that we had to become a better attacking team or there would be trouble.

But it's done. And when I look back at Wilder's reign I'll certainly remember the good over the bad.

And if you're going to fuck up, make it memorable I suppose 😂😂

Neither really were wilders

Wanted Matty Cash - Antonee robinson - Watkins

Got - Bogle-Lowe-Mcburnie

Just saying
He wanted players we couldn't afford. What he needed to do was have somebody experienced who he trusted to do the upfront leg work to tell him who was in budget. But unfortunately he bought into the hype that he could continue to do everything.

Did he cock up? Yes.

It might be within your personal gift to allow CW all these catastrophic errors as a human being ,
But I'm afraid it is not within your gift to allow them to his performance in his professional capacity.
He has encouraged the hearts of thousands of Blades + then crushed them on the rocks of his incompetence.
We had a brief glimpse of stability in the top division , something I've enjoyed only 4 times in 54 years.
And we THREW it away.
The board & others exerted nowhere near enough control over CW's maiden voyage into the PL and a fortune to us modest Blades of over £200m.
If I'd known we were going to end up where we are now , sliding downwards & penniless , I'd have rather we'd given the money to charity.
And not to an average bunch of so called "professional" footballers.

How come every time Wilder looks close to getting a job, he keeps getting rejected.

Looks like not going to get Barnsley job either anymore.

How come every time Wilder looks close to getting a job, he keeps getting rejected.

Looks like not going to get Barnsley job either anymore.

All the reasons above. Since nobody's talking about who was King Fuck up then everybody will have to take a share of the blame.

CW had over £110m to invest and totally blew it

Bet Slav wished he had the same problem
Did you forget Slav was at the helm when Fulham 'did a Fulham'? 😉

Though I will concede it wasn't clear who was doing what with those transfer targets.

Sunderland would be perfect for him and I could see him doing similar things with them as he did with us.

As for his legacy, it's not black and white. The whole rise had no foundation to it which isn't Wilders fault. The club couldn't catch up with the team and we relied purely on Wilder to produce miracles. Unfortunately in his last 12 months he made big errors regarding contracts and transfers. He probably thought he could make any set of players successful by that point given what he'd done but the ride had ended.

Should Wilder have seen the decline coming? Possibly, but if he hadn't given Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Sharp etc contracts and we had gone down he would have been even more hammered. His biggest failure, and one I don't think he has much defence for, were the signings he made. Only one of the signings he made in his final 2 seasons are now worth more than they were. He did miss out on his top targets but his top targets were never going to happen. In the end we ended up with the worst of both worlds. We gambled with money we didn't have but that money wasn't enough to buy real quality. So instead we paid way over the odds for prospects that are now worth next to nothing. I think Wilders hands were tied to some degree but he still spent over £100m on players who can't even perform to a decent standard at Championship level. I don't think you can defend that and I'm sure Wilder himself would do it differently if he had his time again.

I suppose the long and short of it was we were a completely inexperienced club from board level to management to playing staff and in the end our naivety from all areas led us to where we are today. No one person is to blame. Wilder is the single reason we were there in the first place but he also played his part in why his miracle didn't lead to the legacy it should have.

Back
Top Bottom