What HAVE they done to country's most popular sport?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
Blame the prince, blame Wilder, blame the players, or even the fans, but for me, the issue with football nowadays is the financial structure of the game.
Nope, this is nothing new, but this season shows more than ever, the damage done to teams outside of the clique.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 09.04.16.png

These were the best 2 teams in the Championship last season.
Both in danger of ending up the worst 2 performing teams in Premier League history.
Let that sink in for a moment.
The best 2 teams in the Championship last season currently the worst 2 performing teams in Premier League history.

Jamie Carragher can spout about us, his 'Disgraceful, worst I've ever seen' comments (do Burnley get anywhere near the same flak?) as though he's somehow annoyed that we are as we are, shocked and surprised that a team limited with finances as we are, fielding a team of decent Championship players, get mauled by a team of world class players.

Why is it happening this way? Because that is what the premier League product wants...no, needs.
Needs, because it makes a handful of investors loads of personal gain, and for what? Loads of personal pain for 'normal' supporters who can do f**k all about it, other that face the disappointment, piss-taking workmates..and media like never before! How far has our 'sport' fallen that even commentators feel they have the right to kick a man when he's down?

Why are we such a disgrace (you said it Carragher) to the Premier League? Because human nature being what it is cannot continually cope with disappointment and failure. You see the opposite when a team goes on a confidence-boosting winning or undefeated run. We are seeing it with demoralised players knowing they are out of their depth and failing to give of themselves.
What would you do about it Carragher? Spit in an opponents face?

The selfish side of me wants us to be as successful as the teams who have clinically put us (and others) to the sword this season, but the human, compassionate sportsman in me remembers that football IS a sport, that requires a level playing field that's more than just a surface to play on.

Anyway, back to my mate Jamie. I can see the gap in quality. I can see what it does to my team's players getting hammered week after week. I don't need you to tell me and the watching world how disgraced you are by us. We want you to be honest and recognise why it's happening and who knows, maybe even do something about it.
Sadly all I can see for the future of our National game is more of the same.

Blame the prince, blame Wilder, blame the players, or even the fans, but for me, the issue with football nowadays is the financial structure of the game.
Nope, this is nothing new, but this season shows more than ever, the damage done to teams outside of the clique.

View attachment 180146

Both in danger of ending up the worst 2 performing teams in Premier League history.
The best 2 teams in the Championship last season currently the worst 2 performing teams in Premier League history.

Jamie Carragher can spout about us, his 'Disgraceful, worst I've ever seen' comments (do Burnley get anywhere near the same flak?) as though he's somehow annoyed that we are as we are, shocked and surprised that a team limited with finances as we are, fielding a team of decent Championship players, get mauled by a team of world class players.

Why is it happening this way? Because that is what the premier League product wants...no, needs.
Needs, because it makes a handful of investors loads of personal gain, and for what? Loads of personal pain for 'normal' supporters who can do f**k all about it, other that face the disappointment, piss-taking workmates..and media like never before! How far has our 'sport' fallen that even commentators feel they have the right to kick a man when he's down?

Why are we such a disgrace (you said it Carragher) to the Premier League? Because human nature being what it is cannot continually cope with disappointment and failure. You see the opposite when a team goes on a confidence-boosting winning or undefeated run. We are seeing it with demoralised players knowing they are out of their depth and failing to give of themselves.

The selfish side of me wants us to be as successful as the teams who have clinically put us (and others) to the sword this season, but the human, compassionate sportsman in me remembers that football IS a sport, that requires a level playing field that's more than just a surface to play on.

Anyway, back to my mate Jamie. I can see the gap in quality. I can see what it does to my team's players getting hammered week after week. I don't need you to tell me and the watching world how disgraced you are by us. We want you to be honest and recognise why it's happening and who knows, maybe even do something about it.

I’ll grant that both promoted teams have made a mess of preparing for the step up. Burnley absolutely ran away with the division last season, yet now look like a team of kids, whereas we actively divested just to stay solvent.

The structural problems in the game are blindingly obvious to anyone who wants to look. But Jamie Carragher simply isn’t interested in looking. He’s barely interested in football beyond Liverpool, and takes his paycheque obligingly from Sky. His opinion is worthless.

We know exactly how bad we are and why.

Burnley lose by twos and threes, we lose by fives, sixes and eights on a really bad day.

Their record as we can see is equally as bad as ours but because of Vincent Kompany and a misguided sense that Burnley try and play the right way compared to our perception from the outside of people like Warnock, Wilder and Bassett - old school, rough arsed English club and rough arsed English managers, we get tarred with the usual brush of being a bunch of long ball, physical shithouses which couldn't be further from the truth.

Being Pep's mate and all, they get away scot free because, while they lose every week like we do, they don't get embarrassed. Considering how much they've spent, they should be doing a better than we are.

The only way to get anywhere is to spend money you don't have on players you can't afford and for what, to tread water for another season until you eventually go down - see Bournemouth, Brentford, Palace, Fulham - might not be this season, might not be next but eventually they'll all be back playing Championship football ready to aspire for nothing more than mediocrity again and blagging the odd result at Old Trafford or Tottenham if they catch them on a bad day.

Forest have spent tons on a virtually new squad yet still sit with a few points of the drop zone.

The model is broken in every country, not just ours. In the top European leagues, its the same teams at the top year after year.

We all want to be out of the Championship when we're in it, but once we reach the promised land every once in a while, its never quite what we'd hope for when at least the Championship, while the standard is sometimes a bit crap, it's usually exciting and unpredictable and anyone on their day can go up, just look at Luton.

View attachment 180146

Wow ! that's one of the best ever posts on this site !
Cut through all the rubbish and told it how it is.
The powers that be know it unfortunately they aren't interested in the love of the game ! Just the money it generates .
Great post I say it again !
Greasy chip Beattie

The key word is competition. That’s the very thing that makes any sport exciting and attractive. And in the PL there just isn’t any.

The trouble is the only people who will ever talk about it are fans of clubs like us and Burnley. Outside of that not a lot care.

View attachment 180146

What a fantastic post. Spot on. On a level playing field yes that was disgraceful but there is very rarely a level playing field in the EPL anymore. Mr Carragher would never admit to that. Arsenal were untouchable for the first 45 minutes. Most teams would have struggled with that. The media in general have been increasingly disparaging as the season has gone on. "Scandalous" & "worst tackle I've seen for a long time, even when I was playing" - Jame Redknapp. What's scandalous Mr Redknapp is the play acting (sorry CHEATING) as highlighted by Fulham last week. This happens multiple times in a game and is never spoken about. "Disgraceful". "Worst performance I have ever seen". Remember he doesn't really watch ,much football outside the top 6 never mind the Premier League.
They can sit there and spout their bile using exaggerated language but do not have to answer to it. My message to Carragher/Redknapp et al is to get off your ass and put something useful back into the game that gave you so much.

Be interesting to see how Ipswich get on if they go up.
Then there's the likes of Brentford and potentially Luton if they manage to stop up.
It isn't all about money, as United showed first season up last time.
Even this season there have been one or two very close results that might have made a huge difference in terms of momentum, like Spurs and Villa away.

I don’t really have an issue with what Carragher has said tbh. Whilst he technically might be right, he’s not far wrong enough to get upset about it.

The PL has many faults, but the way we’ve approached this season has been an embarrassment.

We should be very grateful that the football people at Arsenal and Villa DO still realise its a sport because only through their charity have we not conceded double figures at least once
Agree. Think both, particularly Arsenal took their foot off the gas in the second half. Both could easily have gone on to score double figures. Am I clutching at straws thinking it was out of some respect for fellow professional footballers?

I don’t really have an issue with what Carragher has said tbh. Whilst he technically might be right, he’s not far wrong enough to get upset about it.

The PL has many faults, but the way we’ve approached this season has been an embarrassment.
He has no right to say that without us having a right to reply. He's a complete twat along with the majority of the "gentleman's club" that sit in council over the EPL every week on Sky.

Completely true about pandering to the Big Boys.

Villa have been the surprise package over the past couple of seasons and are getting some deserved praise (as we did our first season back under Wilder) But as soon as Villa drop down over the next few seasons because that can’t keep their finances in order and can’t sign the very best players to get a Champions League spot, then the smug bastards like Carragher will drop them off the radar.

Be interesting to see how Ipswich get on if they go up.
Then there's the likes of Brentford and potentially Luton if they manage to stop up.
It isn't all about money, as United showed first season up last time.
Even this season there have been one or two very close results that might have made a huge difference in terms of momentum, like Spurs and Villa away.
Its very different since the first season we went up the last time. The gap is so much bigger. If Luton do survive (hope they do at the expense of Notts Forest) they will struggle big time next year I'm afraid. Its just not sustainable anymore. The game is broken is far from being repaired. In fact its broken and the pieces are being chucked in the bin.

He has no right to say that without us having a right to reply. He's a complete twat along with the majority of the "gentleman's club" that sit in council over the EPL every week on Sky.
I don’t know what you mean, a right to reply? Should we have fans having some live interaction on all football commentary and punditry now?

It’s not that much of a stretch at all to say we are the worst PL side ever.

View attachment 180146

Agree with most of that.

Whilst it's not exactly incorrect to say we've been a disgrace at times this season, you're not going to get a knowledgeable and balanced analysis very often on the likes of Sky or MOTD.

Most of the pundits aren't interested in us (they would be if we were surpassing expectations like a few years ago) and plenty know nothing about us and can't even be bothered to do a modicum of research.

I was in the pub pre-game and could see the Sky footage, but not hear it. Just from the pictures you could tell there was little or no discussion about our team. Understandable to a degree considering Arsenal's position and aspirations compared to ours, but ultimately Carragher and Henry, in particular, will know sweet fa about us.

The only mainstream pundit I've heard give a really fair and balanced view of us this season was Jamie Redknapp. Some of the paid punditry haven't even known the names of our players.

Reminds me of Paul Parker describing our line up of Fleck, Norwood, and Duffy at Derby a few years back, as 'big and strong as you'd expect from Sheff Utd'.

Its very different since the first season we went up the last time. The gap is so much bigger. If Luton do survive (hope they do at the expense of Notts Forest) they will struggle big time next year I'm afraid. Its just not sustainable anymore. The game is broken is far from being repaired. In fact its broken and the pieces are being chucked in the bin.
It's not that much different financially.
What is different is we had a clear playing style and didn't sell our best players in a way guaranteed to explode the foundations before the season started.
A lot of this is self-inflicted.

I couldn't give a fuck what that scouse twat has to say about us.

He, along with neville, Keane and the rest are just mouth pieces for sky spouting out hot air to fill a void.

I can't believe anybody takes anything they say seriously, they are just a televised talksport

Agree. Think both, particularly Arsenal took their foot off the gas in the second half. Both could easily have gone on to score double figures. Am I clutching at straws thinking it was out of some respect for fellow professional footballers?

It’s probably more a case of saving themselves for upcoming fixtures. Why keep playing at 100% when you can drop down to 50%?

He, along with neville, Keane and the rest are just mouth pieces for sky spouting out hot air to fill a void.

I can't believe anybody takes anything they say seriously, they are just a televised talksport
True, but they have a platform and people listen. So they could say things that are more intelligent and balanced.

i do agree the money from sky in recent years has distorted the game i wouldnt say ruined. because as i was saying bit ago. in 2007 20m got you michael carrick 1 of the best english midfielders recently. but now with the ridiculous transfer figures championship players are going for 20m. MGW was up to 40m if i remember. i worry for likes of ipswich, hull, west brom, coventry norwich, preston who are dreaming of premier league like we were in 2019 but i think they end up like us, because i cant see them spending the amount of money they need

What our sport has become is ALL about money. The relatively recent success of Manchester City, Newcastle is shallow (not that their fans care I suppose). I’m not naive because money has always been a factor in the success of a team. But that used to be a big, not only, factor. Even at lower levels in non league I’ve seen the impact of a team being bankrolled for a season (and going out of business the next).

Actually, maybe I am naive, because I feel an important creasing disconnect from our club. Seems less a part of the wider community with only the fans holding that fabric together.

Still, we carry on regardless. And, in contrast to our porcine neighbours, we will be able to sit our grandkids on our knees in the decades to come and tell them “I was there when we were utter bobbar”.

Part of the problem is that most fans are brainwashed in to thinking that more money is a good thing, as every fan wants their club to compete at the next level up and catch up with those that have more of it.

If the obscene amounts of money being thrown around was to suddenly stop, and every club had the same modest salary cap, what would the downside be? Yes the top players would play in a different league, but how does that ever affect anyone outside the Champions League teams. And even for them, it wouldn't make any difference to their bread and butter league/cup domestic games. the overall impact would surely be a positive one?

View attachment 180146

GreasyChipBeattie

Good post. I'll emphasise - I'm here for the debate...

Can I query your - handful of investors loads of personal gain - point?
Who/what are you thinking of here?

Sure. There is a lot of money spinning around the PL Circus. But, the vast majority of that money is spent, isn't it? Spent on fees. Spent on wages. There are leveraged buyouts. Where new owners use the PL money to pay off the loans they used to buy the clubs.

But, I don't think it's a case of individuals taking money out of the game. It's the concentration on money in fewer clubs spending it among themselves.

Anyway. Good post.

This is a nice Harry Enfield video which sort of sums up for me what it is like this season watching Blades play the other teams. And Blades match is at the end of the video LOL

Agreed - I have never understood why fans and managers pay so much attention to these three twats. All mouthpieces trying to appear controversial and relevant.

No need for a right to reply. We are the whipping boys this season, itll be some other poor saps next season. Its a form of bullying really and I wish theyd just shut up and leave us alone.

Back
Top Bottom